2021 Draft - 4th Pick: Matvei Petrov (F)

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Skill guy who likes to shoot the pill. Yes please. Russian junior willing to play in North Bay Ontario has to be viewed as a positive. Diminished role on a solid Russian Under 18 club but he made a solid Russian Under 18 club. Like this sort of mid-round skill upside strategy being utilized the last couple of years. (Much better than the Groundhog Day throw shit against the wall, hoping, praying and failing to find a top NHL goalie prospect. That strategy now includes passing on the top bluechip goaltender prospect fall into your lap in round 1 and avoid it like plutonium. grumble grumble grumble.)

Get this guy to North Bay and eliminate his internet access to hockey ocean Cup celebrations in Tampa Bay and all Miami Beach eye candy.

Reactions: oilers'72

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm a huge fan of this pick. I'll be seeing a lot of him next year. And he's poised to get a lot of ice time on a very young, emerging Battalion roster.

If the Sharks send Brandon Coe back for his overage season, that potential top line of Matvei Petrov - Mitchell Russell - Brandon Coe could be one of the better producing lines in the OHL next season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Skill guy who likes to shoot the pill. Yes please. Russian junior willing to play in North Bay Ontario has to be viewed as a positive. Diminished role on a solid Russian Under 18 club but he made a solid Russian Under 18 club. Like this sort of mid-round skill upside strategy being utilized the last couple of years. (Much better than the Groundhog Day throw shit against the wall, hoping, praying and failing to find a top NHL goalie prospect. That strategy now includes passing on the top bluechip goaltender prospect fall into your lap in round 1 and avoid it like plutonium. grumble grumble grumble.)

Get this guy to North Bay and eliminate his internet access to hockey ocean Cup celebrations in Tampa Bay and all Miami Beach eye candy.
I thought you had a rest and felt better? :sarcasm:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
If he's half as good as his famous name sake then he'll rip it up in the OHL.

Can't you see the HOF headline --"Extend Holland--Now!"

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
The thing about this draft is who knows what would’ve happened if a season was actually played. Looks like a real boom/bust kind of guy. Possible that he could’ve had a massive breakout season this year

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm a huge fan of this pick. I'll be seeing a lot of him next year. And he's poised to get a lot of ice time on a very young, emerging Battalion roster.

If the Sharks send Brandon Coe back for his overage season, that potential top line of Matvei Petrov - Mitchell Russell - Brandon Coe could be one of the better producing lines in the OHL next season.
U live around that area?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Is he coming over?

It looks like he signed a three year deal in Russia in October.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sounds pretty damn good for a 6th round pick. Wonder why he dropped so far, Russian Factor? Either way, I'm cool with it I wanted high potential, high risk in the later rounds.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is he coming over?

It looks like he signed a three year deal in Russia in October.
Very good chance he is based on their Euro draft selection. They took a Russian defenseman with their first pick and passed on the second selection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad