2021 Draft - 4th Pick: Matvei Petrov (F)

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
How freaking good is this kid? He's just ripping it up.
What are the things that might hold him back at the pro level? It's getting increasingly obvious that he's skilled enough to win an NHL job but are there any troubling flaws? Skating? Complete lack of defensive awareness? Fear of physicality? Middling ambition?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
It's funny cause you hear all the time how late round picks don't mean much. But then we look at a team like Edmonton and one of their biggest long standing problems is the inability to find many players in the late rounds.

Yeah as well Ken" my time in Detroit" Holland is proof how valuable a Zetterberg or Datsyuk are in late rounds.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He can play in the AHL next year because he in a euro? Or does he have to wait until he is 20 because he played this year in the OHL?

It would be nice if he could get a pro season in next year, rather than waiting until the 23-24 season for his rookie AHL year. Could potentially accelerate his NHL arrival, if that is ever to come of course (long distance between OHL and NHL after all).

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
How freaking good is this kid? He's just ripping it up.
What are the things that might hold him back at the pro level? It's getting increasingly obvious that he's skilled enough to win an NHL job but are there any troubling flaws? Skating? Complete lack of defensive awareness? Fear of physicality? Middling ambition?

Skating is above average, not amazing, but he can burn when needed and has good edges. He’s actually extremely engaged defensively and backtracks well. Effort and battle level at both ends are good. He needs to work on his defensive IQ as he advances. Not a concern, but room for growth. He plays a nasty game when needed, he can throw his weight around, not shy to engage at all.

I’ve watched him a lot this year. He’s been outstanding. No doubt in my mind if the draft happened today he’d go, at minimum, middle of round two. With that said I wouldn’t get too crazy with the hype. This year and next he’ll be on a powerhouse team, should have some deep runs. The key will be the jump to pro. If he can handle that, the sky is the limit.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Skating is above average, not amazing, but he can burn when needed and has good edges. He’s actually extremely engaged defensively and backtracks well. Effort and battle level at both ends are good. He needs to work on his defensive IQ as he advances. Not a concern, but room for growth. He plays a nasty game when needed, he can throw his weight around, not shy to engage at all.

I’ve watched him a lot this year. He’s been outstanding. No doubt in my mind if the draft happened today he’d go, at minimum, middle of round two. With that said I wouldn’t get too crazy with the hype. This year and next he’ll be on a powerhouse team, should have some deep runs. The key will be the jump to pro. If he can handle that, the sky is the limit.

Thanks for this. I was wondering how excited I should get.

Good player on a good team. I'm guessing if he can improve his skating his transition to pro will be easier.

Points/goals wise this is an incredible prospect.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Thanks for this. I was wondering how excited I should get.

Good player on a good team. I'm guessing if he can improve his skating his transition to pro will be easier.

Points/goals wise this is an incredible prospect.

When you look at the Oiler's drafting record of the last 20 years---go ahead and get excited--you are due.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The Battalion were slumping while Petrov was out.

His first two games back and he has 4 goals including back to back game winners.

indeed

clutch-disc-9-12-x-13t-kubota-l4508-l4708-l5018.jpg

#clutch

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Yeah...

You really think he needs more time in the juniors?
You have watched him a lot, so i trust your word but..

When next season camps cometh, you don't think he can get
a spot from your team?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yeah...

You really think he needs more time in the juniors?
You have watched him a lot, so i trust your word but..

When next season camps cometh, you don't think he can get
a spot from your team?

It's a 9 game nhl stint if he blows the doors off training camp and then back to junior or just back to junior.

Hate it when you have a player that should absolutely be playing pro hockey but will have to play/dominate another year against junior players.

Because of that I would expect him to still be at least 2.5 years away from being an nhl regular. Patience is required with this one. Hopefully it's rewarded.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He can play in the AHL next year because he in a euro? Or does he have to wait until he is 20 because he played this year in the OHL?

It would be nice if he could get a pro season in next year, rather than waiting until the 23-24 season for his rookie AHL year. Could potentially accelerate his NHL arrival, if that is ever to come of course (long distance between OHL and NHL after all).

At first I had thought he could play in the AHL as well. But he was drafted by NB in 2020 so even though he did not play for them until after he was drafted by the Oilers the AHL/CHL agreement still applies. He is not eligible for the AHL.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Amazing to think how this kid has just come out of nowhere. Never heard his name until the start of the pre-season. He's a scoring machine it seems and I'm really excited to see him turn pro.

I know that we have a lot of high scoring winger prospects in Petrov, Holloway, Bourgeault, and Savioe... But do we have any prospects that are mean SOBs or agitators? It would be nice to have one of those. Holloway is physical but don't think you would call him "nasty." The last true pest we had must of been Raffi Torres and he left town a while ago.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Amazing to think how this kid has just come out of nowhere. Never heard his name until the start of the pre-season. He's a scoring machine it seems and I'm really excited to see him turn pro.

I know that we have a lot of high scoring winger prospects in Petrov, Holloway, Bourgeault, and Savioe... But do we have any prospects that are mean SOBs or agitators? It would be nice to have one of those. Holloway is physical but don't think you would call him "nasty." The last true pest we had must of been Raffi Torres and he left town a while ago.

Tyler Benson ;)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
At first I had thought he could play in the AHL as well. But he was drafted by NB in 2020 so even though he did not play for them until after he was drafted by the Oilers the AHL/CHL agreement still applies. He is not eligible for the AHL.

thanks for info even though it isn’t the answer I was hoping for

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Its Holloway. If the/some prospects pans out, there will be a trade for one of the top 9ers for agitators. And Im pretty sure of who that player will be.

Tyler Benson ;)

Hes problem is he cant really get into a 4th line role. He is a 3rd liner, with MacLeod.

Last edited:

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
6th round 180th pick Matvey Petrov currently 5th in OHL pts with 61, and tied for 6th in goals with 26. He's also still 18 years old, a rookie in the league.
5th round 126th pick Ty Tullio currently 13th in OHL pts with 51, and tied for team lead in goals with 18 (and 15 pts ahead of 2nd place on his team). 19 years old
4th round 100th pick Carter Savoie, in a tougher mature NCAA College hockey league, led his team (U. of Denver) in goals last season by a longshot, and as a rookie with 13. And again currently leads them in goals with 16, on a much more successful Denver team. He just turned 20 two weeks ago, youngest player in their top 6

Holland is the Rumpelstiltskin of NHL drafting, the golden touch

Petrov, Savoie, Tullio, Holloway, Lavoie, Broberg, Bourgault, Munzenberger. Ken's legendary drafting system precedes him. That looks like a rock solid core, that could conceivably be a better team in 4-6 years than the one we have right now with the 2 best players in the world in their prime

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If Holland can dump a questionable contract and get a solid return that will help the club now in a transaction with Matvei Petrov as the primary asset from Edmonton he should do it. I think you could improve the club immediately and into the future.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
6th round 180th pick Matvey Petrov currently 5th in OHL pts with 61, and tied for 6th in goals with 26. He's also still 18 years old, a rookie in the league.
5th round 126th pick Ty Tullio currently 13th in OHL pts with 51, and tied for team lead in goals with 18 (and 15 pts ahead of 2nd place on his team). 19 years old
4th round 100th pick Carter Savoie, in a tougher mature NCAA College hockey league, led his team (U. of Denver) in goals last season by a longshot, and as a rookie with 13. And again currently leads them in goals with 16, on a much more successful Denver team. He just turned 20 two weeks ago, youngest player in their top 6

Petrov, Savoie, Tullio, Holloway, Lavoie, Broberg, Bourgault, Munzenberger. Ken's legendary drafting system precedes him. That looks like a rock solid core, that could conceivably be a better team in 4-6 years than the one we have right now with the 2 best players in the world in their prime

I agree. I have my doubts about Holland's ability when it comes to trades or negotiating contracts but its been a long time since the Oilers have had this many exciting prospects in the system. Of course, that doesn't mean that any of them will have an impact in the NHL but it gives Oiler fans something to look forward to.

I think that waiting for the prospects to arrive is the only real solution to the question of when the club can make a real run for the finals. I hope none of these top level prospects are traded away for more marginal NHL'ers or guys who are at the end of the road.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Lots of reasons to be excited but "golden touch". Lol. He took Broberg over Zegras... The brown touch on that one. Lavoie is currently behind the curve to becoming an nhler.

Holland has zero players drafted playing in the nhl for Edmonton to date and wasn't exactly King Midas in Detroit.

Unfortunately there seems to be some counting of the chickens happening. We have similar draft pools before but more focused on defense and unfortunately Laggesson is the last standing from that group.

Reactions: LTIR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad