Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
How many years post draft of development do you think Clarke and Hughes need? Does Hughes being young for the draft class add another year of required development?
More than likely Hughes will need 1 year for sure and possibly two for the reason that you gave. He is almost a year younger than most in this draft

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I thought of Beniers to Anaheim as well but they have Zegras who will obviously be 1C and then they have Perreault and Colangelo as possible C prospects. Add in Steele and Comtois as other good wingers. edit: also Lundestrom was a 23rd overall as well for center/Left wing

While they arent true C prospects however, thats a lot of talent up front with not muchelse besides LaCombe behind Drysdale

Zegras might stay on the LW where Anaheim largely played him this year. Anaheim's LD situation is bleak, especially considering Lindholm might be a deadline deal at next year's deadline. LaCombe has mid-pairing upside but some risk, Thrun has less risk but less upside. LD is a huge area of need for the Ducks, but so is C. So they could go either way.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You’re right that it’s forward/center heavy up top but 2022 also seems to have a lot RHD: Salomonsson, Jiricek, Casey, Nemec, Luneau, Chesley, etc. And that’s much of the more notable defensemen in 2022. They’re all RHD.

My friend, as soon as this draft is over ask me about Jiricek, because I'm ready to start that fan club. I think he's top 10 in 2022, maybe top 5.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
How many years post draft of development do you think Clarke and Hughes need? Does Hughes being young for the draft class add another year of required development?

Clarke and Power I would say should be ready 2022-23. Hughes hopefully 2023-24, he's almost a year younger than Power. If any have a chance to make the roster in 2021-22 it's Power, who physically does not need to build up core strength and would simply need to have his minutes monitored to alleviate pressure since he is still learning the nuances of a very difficult and complicated position.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Zegras might stay on the LW where Anaheim largely played him this year. Anaheim's LD situation is bleak, especially considering Lindholm might be a deadline deal at next year's deadline. LaCombe has mid-pairing upside but some risk, Thrun has less risk but less upside. LD is a huge area of need for the Ducks, but so is C. So they could go either way.

They want him to be a center. They sent him down for a few weeks in April so he could learn some center there and then when they called him back up he finished the year in the middle. Whether or not he sticks is the question but that's what they want.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canucks now have 4 games to earn a point. Another regulation lose.
Playing Calgary (who aren’t exactly that much better than Vancouver) 3 times in their last 4 games. I expect a W here at some point, or at least an OT point.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Playing Calgary (who aren’t exactly that much better than Vancouver) 3 times in their last 4 games. I expect a W here at some point, or at least an OT point.

Just watch for Quinn to make some mind boggling turn overs when the games are on the line :sarcasm:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Here's a mid-May mini-mock using the latest Tankathon rankings:

1 BUF C Beniers
2 ANH LD Power
3 SEA C/L Eklund
4 NJ RD Clarke
5 CLB C McTavish
6 DET LD Hughes
7 VAN R/L Guenther
8 SJ L/C Johnson
9 LA G Wallstedt
10 OTT C Lucius
11 CGY LD Edvinsson
12 ARI Forfeit
13 CHI R Lysell
14 PHI RD Ceulemans
15 DAL L Othmann
16 NYR C Svechkov
17 MTL L/C Sillinger
18 STL LD Lambos
19 WPG LD Svozil
20 NSH C Pinelli
21 NJ L Rosen

Someone was mentioning to me that repeatedly mocking Othmann to the Devils with the Islanders pick might not be a reality because Othmann's star has really been on the rise since the U-18, so I put together a hypothetical scenario where the Devils don't get him. But Rosen would be a nice grab -- I feel his upside is neck-and-neck with Lysell, and he strangely has not gotten the credit he is due.

The player who has had his stock skyrocket the most since the U-18 has probably been McTavish, and here I have him going higher than most expect to a team desperate for a center which loves McTavish-type old school, two-way power forwards. Columbus has very recently bucked the consensus to take a power center with Dubois, so it's conceivable they do this again having lost Dubois. This understandably shakes up the remainder of my 6-13 picks.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
So, if Vancouver gets a point, we have guaranteed top-4 odds, and guaranteed top 5 pick? What's the deal?
We go into the lottery in the 4 spot. Lowest we can pick is 6th if two teams jump us (20.6% chance). Our most likely pick is 5th (45.8%). There’s a 14.5% chance we pick 4th, 9.6% chance we pick 2nd and 9.5% chance we pick 1st

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I think it’s safe to say that the 4th is all
Wrapped up.

Commence stressing that the Vancouver slot will end up winning the lottery :laugh:

Reactions: StevenToddIves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad