Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think it’s safe to say that the 4th is all
Wrapped up.

Commence stressing that the Vancouver slot will end up winning the lottery :laugh:

Devils had a ton of lottery luck in the past half-decade, no use sweating that in a year where there is no consensus top 2 picks.

As long as the Devils draft top 4, they will get their franchise D. Even at #5 there are very strong odds in NJ's favor. If the Devils fall to #6 -- it's only a 1/5th chance but it exists -- then it will be time to sweat a few bullets.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Only thing left to hope for now is for the teams behind the Islanders to win a couple rounds and the Islanders not to.
If Winnipeg, Montreal, and/or Nashville win the Islanders pick will be higher than 20. Unlikely any of them win 2 rounds but anything can happen in the playoffs.
Islanders are probably more likely to win than any of those teams but hopefully they don’t.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Devils had a ton of lottery luck in the past half-decade, no use sweating that in a year where there is no consensus top 2 picks.

As long as the Devils draft top 4, they will get their franchise D. Even at #5 there are very strong odds in NJ's favor. If the Devils fall to #6 -- it's only a 1/5th chance but it exists -- then it will be time to sweat a few bullets.

I was more thinking of the fans that are convinced we should take Hughes over everyone and that Vancouver would do the same.

I agree with you. I’m thrilled with a top 6 pick in such a crazy year where I feel we would’ve showed much more growth without these circumstances of 2020. Adding a potential top pair D or a 1st line wing to our prospect pool/team has me very content, all things considered.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think NJ will make an attempt to trade up for Luke depending on how the lottery goes. I don’t think it will be successful but I think they will want Jack to believe they tried. I think NJ is more in on Jack than VAN is on Quinn but that is just a hunch. NJ already has Jack in the inner circle of players. I’m not sure about Quinn in VAN but let’s see how contract negotiations play out.

Luke will serve NJ more than VAN since VAN already has Quinn to play defense. DET will likely be all in on Luke as well in my view since they will look to pair him with Seider. All three organizations stand to gain attention from drafting Luke which will not be lost on the owners.

I’m not sure if all three teams will rank him top three in the draft. It may even be that one or more of VAN or NJ is secretly relieved if he gets picked before their turn but they will want to make it look good most likely. NJ has already apparently told Jack that Luke might not be available when they pick. My guess is that Quinn has also lobbied for Luke but who know what VAN management may have told him.

Again I’m not saying he’s top of the draft for me. I have no opinion. I just think all three of those teams will maneuver on some level to try to get him depending upon how the lottery turns out. In a somewhat uncertain draft Luke would seem to be a “safe” conservative pick.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Yeah, it was a kid writing the article, so I took it easy on him. But it's tough to read some of these mock drafts without rolling your eyes the whole time.

I take it back... I didn’t notice all the replies to your conversation. Well done Sir.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What type of D is Seider? Is he more offensive or defensive ? Would Detroit prefer Power over Hughes or would they think that Hughes game compliments Seider’s game the most? At least they wouldnt take Clarke as he is a RHD.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
What type of D is Seider? Is he more offensive or defensive ? Would Detroit prefer Power over Hughes or would they think that Hughes game compliments Seider’s game the most? At least they wouldnt take Clarke as he is a RHD.
I think he’s a big physical d who’s solid defensively but can also bring some offense.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I was more thinking of the fans that are convinced we should take Hughes over everyone and that Vancouver would do the same.

I agree with you. I’m thrilled with a top 6 pick in such a crazy year where I feel we would’ve showed much more growth without these circumstances of 2020. Adding a potential top pair D or a 1st line wing to our prospect pool/team has me very content, all things considered.
I think if either us or VAN have a shoot at Hughes, neither will pass him up.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I still think that the 3 D will be gone by 5 ( the most likely spot we pick %wise) .
I can see the three D plus Beniers go 1-4.
C and D biggest priority with only Beniers seen as the C potentially worth taking over one of Clarke Hughes Power.
Have to hope that someone values Eklund and his ability to be a C in the NHL .
Power 1st overall then Beniers Clarke Hughes next m just not sure in what order.
Maybe someone goes Edvinsson in top 4 but I highly doubt it as I cannot see anyone prefer Edvinsson over the other 3 D .
Fingers crossed that we win the lotto. But then if we pick first and take Power or Clarke , people will worry about what Jack will think lol.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Are there still any websites that show what the cost would be moving up in the draft ? Used to be some good ones. Values picks and what it would theoretically take to go from pick “a” to pick “b”.
I haven’t seen picks get traded in the top portion of the draft for a long ass time. I’m hopi g we won’t need to but if a team ahead of us knows they are going with a forward I’m sure they would look to gain assets and move down a spot or two knowing we go D .

Devs3cups

HEWZ‎ ‎& NEHMEHTS
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Also worth noting that McKenzie’s rankings (which take into account NHL scouts rankings), had Guenther at 2. This draft is really a wild card. I’m fairly confident that if we’re drafting 4th or 5th, we’re getting one of the Big 3.

And if we’re being honest, we’re getting a really good player regardless. I’d love to get one of the D, but I’ll be thrilled with a potential first line forward also.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yes we will be getting a very good player regardless but I feel that the quickest path to being competitive is getting one of the D.
It is very hard to get a top pairing D . Not only do you need a good draft pick to land one , but they are harder to project than forwards in my opinion . Yes I will be very disappointed if we don’t get a D with our first pick but if we miss out and get one of Beniers Johnsson Geunther Eklund , I think I’ll live lol. Especially if we get someone like Lambos Ceulemens with our Islanders first rounder.
I guess the likelihood of getting a top line forward and top pairing D is slightly better if for example we get someone like Johnsson and Lambos vs. Hughes and Pinelli. The chances of Johnsson being a top line forward over Pinelli is greater than the disparity between Hughes and Lambos being a top pairing D or am I off on that?

Reactions: nugg

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Sal made the point we need to be looking at need and he is right. Settling for another forward isn't good enough.

We need high end D

same as it ever was...same as it ever was. i hate the idea of trading up if we're picking 6th, but we cannot afford to take another forward. if the price to move up is too high so be it, but that should be something we explore if necessary.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
If Hughes or Clarke gone be fine taking K Johnson or Guenther and coming back and getting Cuelemans with Islanders pick....

Agreed. And in fairness, elite defensemen aren’t all overwhelmingly consolidated at the top of the draft like forwards are. Just look at the latest Norris winners. Outside of Hedman and Doughty, the vast majority of winners like Josi, Giordano, Burns, Karlsson, Keith and Subban were all taken outside of the top 10/15. You can get elite defenseman outside of the high picks. I wouldn’t reach just to reach.

Devs3cups

HEWZ‎ ‎& NEHMEHTS
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Agreed. And in fairness, elite defensemen aren’t all overwhelmingly consolidated at the top of the draft like forwards are. Just look at the latest Norris winners. Outside of Hedman and Doughty, the vast majority of winners like Josi, Giordano, Burns, Karlsson, Keith and Subban were all taken outside of the top 10/15. You can get elite defenseman outside of the high picks. I wouldn’t reach just to reach.
You can also get pretty disappointing, or underwhelming ones for high picks:

Hickey (4th, 2007)
Bogosian (3rd, 2008)
Schenn (5th, 2008)
Cowen (9th, 2009)
Gudbranson (3rd, 2010)
Larsson (4th, 2011)
Murray (2nd, 2012)
Reinhart (4th, 2012)
Pouliot (8th, 2012)
Fleury (7th, 2014)
Juolevi (5th, 2016)

It's also worth noting that A LOT of star/elite d-men were drafted in the later rounds of all of those drafts.

I'd love to get one of the top-3 D this draft, in fact it's my ideal scenario. But I don't believe our draft will be a fail if we get a high-level, 1st line forward with our first pick and end up picking a solid d-man with the Isles pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->