Prospect Info: 2021 Developmental Camp

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
There's no need for us to trade any of these guys right now. If we have 4 competent lines and 3 competent d pairings and a solid goalie, that will go a very long way to our success. Overall team depth makes up for things like needing 2 amazing top 6 centers. And having more depth in your farm system -- even better.

The question facing this team shouldn't be scoring, but one about leadership. Do we have that guy who can straighten out the room, keep the team focused and score the big goal when the team really needs it?

If Laf or Panarin can't be that guy then this is the type of player to find. I feel like all these big trades we all love talking about are based on designing the perfect lineup on paper. We don't need to build the ultimate fantasy team. We need a team with great depth, that all plays the same way and comes in waves and also happens to have oodles of talent. Our depth is a bigger asset than adding one more uber talented player. Be patient and we will be a perennial contender. We don't need another 8-9m player. We need patience, a system and depth. Because the talent is there much more than at any other time in the history of the org. Maybe early 90s rivaled this. Maybe sometime in the 70s. Maybe.

All that to say, I would much rather see how Lundkvist, Schneider and Jones develop this season. Let those players force their way into the plans. Let the chips fall where they may. Then make smart moves using SOME of your depth.
This is the smart way of thinking but does dolan destroy this?

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I have no objection moving Lundkvist for a center prospect of equal pedigree and readiness. Not sure there is a trade partner out there though.
I am sure any team would take him off the Rangers hands. Who wouldn’t want a 21 year old potential superstar right handed dman with a laser shot and on first year of elc?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Adding to your point. How is keeping Lundkvist playing on 3rd pair minutes with minimal to 0 effective PP time going to increase his trade value to a point where it’s higher then it is now??
Lundkvist either moves to LD and displaces 1 or Miller/ Lindgren or I doubt he’s on the team longer then a year and half tops
If he’s good he’ll get plenty of chance to show the league, even if he’s on the third pair. I think it’s overblown, the whole idea that playing on the fourth line or third pair is a death sentence. If he’s as good as we think he is, that will be clear and we’ll either keep him or sell high. If he’s just not that good, you’re right, probably best to trade him now while he has something of a “mystique”.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If he’s good he’ll get plenty of chance to show the league, even if he’s on the third pair. I think it’s overblown, the whole idea that playing on the fourth line or third pair is a death sentence. If he’s as good as we think he is, that will be clear and we’ll either keep him or sell high. If he’s just not that good, you’re right, probably best to trade him now while he has something of a “mystique”.

I can get on board with many arguments to trade Lundkvist, but "He's only going to play 3rd pair minutes" isn't one of them.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I can get on board with many arguments to trade Lundkvist, but "He's only going to play 3rd pair minutes" isn't one of them.
Yep. We’ve been accustomed to terrible depth the past few years. A good team with good depth plays their depth a good amount. I think this year the nature of the games is going to be night and day from last season.
Warning: this may mean less scoring from the top six, even.

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
If I'm trading Nils I'm waiting until next year when I can try and trade him for Shane Wright or the rights to get Bedard or Michkov.

As it looks right now you're not getting Wright or Bedard for Nils Lunkvist unless he does what Fox did and wins the norris in his second year and that is HIGHLY unlikely as only two people have done that throughout history.

Reactions: bleedblue94

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yep. We’ve been accustomed to terrible depth the past few years. A good team with good depth plays their depth a good amount. I think this year the nature of the games is going to be night and day from last season.
Warning: this may mean less scoring from the top six, even.
Your not losing depth. The players are still going to be coming on the same time schedule. I would be shocked if Schneider isn’t ready to step in to 3rd pair RD by the end of camp next season. He’s not going to spend his entire ELC deal in the A. Especially when he’s not that far away to begin with. Jones too, and likely Robertson as well

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
all dev camp attendees (except Lamb who left days ago to his USHL team) sdeem to be invited to 'big' camp

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-21_16-18-47.png
    upload_2021-9-21_16-18-47.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 3

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I don’t think it’s the point / argument. The point was that Lundkvist value will not be reduced by being forced into 3rd pair assignments having Trouba and Fox ahead of him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
As it looks right now you're not getting Wright or Bedard for Nils Lunkvist unless he does what Fox did and wins the norris in his second year and that is HIGHLY unlikely as only two people have done that throughout history.

Nils playing behind Fox could really do wonders for his development. Think it’s perfect from that POV. Nils is a really receptive kid and Fox has really found ways to maximize his game with the toolset he has.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Gonna say it one last time before the season starts. Nils Lundkvist isn't going anywhere.

And if and when Adam Fox finds himself a little dinged up during a full 82 game schedule, we'll thank our lucky stars we have another highly intelligent skilled D in Nils.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Nils and Nemeth are our 3rd pair they’re going to need to be solid defensively…..and unless Fox gets injured he’s going to get the lion’s share of power play time. You play Norris Trophy defensemen as much as you can and as far as maximizing your power play you give Fox as much of that as he can handle. Nils is going to have to find a way to deal with that and the best way for him is to be dependable in other areas. I just don’t see Nils putting up big numbers for us with Fox already here.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
If Nils and Nemeth are our 3rd pair they’re going to need to be solid defensively…..and unless Fox gets injured he’s going to get the lion’s share of power play time. You play Norris Trophy defensemen as much as you can and as far as maximizing your power play you give Fox as much of that as he can handle. Nils is going to have to find a way to deal with that and the best way for him is to be dependable in other areas. I just don’t see Nils putting up big numbers for us with Fox already here.
This is why we should have kept Martin. The work he did with Chara, Redden, Philips was terrific … even made Karel Rachunek a decent defender.

I don’t think the issue is having Fox and Nils. It’s having Trouba and Fox ahead of him. Power play time will help, but one of those three will eventually leave due to a lack of bucks or a lack of playing time — and I doubt it’ll be NTC boy or Fox.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This is why we should have kept Martin. The work he did with Chara, Redden, Philips was terrific … even made Karel Rachunek a decent defender.

I don’t think the issue is having Fox and Nils. It’s having Trouba and Fox ahead of him. Power play time will help, but one of those three will eventually leave due to a lack of bucks or a lack of playing time — and I doubt it’ll be NTC boy or Fox.

I would have liked Martin to be in charge of our defense but after the failed Ruff experiment, and Quinn being force-fed Martin as a D-coach, I understand why Drury gave Gallant carte blanche.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

A coach should pick his assistants. Gallant and Gord Murphy (who was already here in Hartford last year) have worked together before in Columbus. His picking Murphy makes sense. Also adding Steve Smith to Hartford could be a very good move.

Eventually I think Nils will be the odd man out. We have a lot of undersized defensemen—Fox, Lindgren (I know he’s physical but….), Jones, Lundkvist and Reunanen. They are all good but you don’t go deep into the playoffs with an undersized defense. Skill takes teams only so far. There also needs to be a lunch pail dynamic. Teams start trying to beat each other up. Rangers RD I suspect will eventually be Fox, Trouba, Schneider. If the Rangers can eventually get one of their larger young D to handle the leftover power play minutes for Fox that would be great.

Reactions: haveandare

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Gonna say it one last time before the season starts. Nils Lundkvist isn't going anywhere.

i don’t think his value is high enough to be moved. There are a lot of skilled young defenseman out there. There is certainly a need yet i think his value in a trade is still lower than it will be in the future. I think he’s legit and his value has to get where other teams really, really want him.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
A coach should pick his assistants. Gallant and Gord Murphy (who was already here in Hartford last year) have worked together before in Columbus. His picking Murphy makes sense. Also adding Steve Smith to Hartford could be a very good move.

Eventually I think Nils will be the odd man out. We have a lot of undersized defensemen—Fox, Lindgren (I know he’s physical but….), Jones, Lundkvist and Reunanen. They are all good but you don’t go deep into the playoffs with an undersized defense. Skill takes teams only so far. There also needs to be a lunch pail dynamic. Teams start trying to beat each other up. Rangers RD I suspect will eventually be Fox, Trouba, Schneider. If the Rangers can eventually get one of their larger young D to handle the leftover power play minutes for Fox that would be great.

I think of those small D you listed, the only one who is a sure bet to stay over Lundkvist in the long term is Fox. And hopefully Lindgren as he's a solid warrior that is always useful. I don't think we will have more than 2 smaller skilled D on a playoff roster. And I think Nils and Fox are those two guys. We won a cup with Leetch and Zubov. And if you have 4 other guys who can play all situations and handle the toughness part you'll be more than fine.

And while I tend to agree that skill only takes you so far in the playoffs, that you need big bodies to grind. I also think that guys with elite hockey IQ are invaluable to playoff success. If your mind can process the speed of the playoffs it makes a huge diff. Derek Stepan was the kind of player who may not have had the best wheels, but he thought the game so well that he always had a big impact in the playoffs. Panarin has similarly shown that ability as did Leetch and Zubov back in the day.

Point is, once we get to the playoffs with Fox and Lundkvist and/or Jones on the roster, we will get a gauge on their playoff viability. Right now, we really don't know. Lundkvist and Jones could turn out to be regular season juggernauts and playoff mice. Or they could be real difference makers.

Look at last year's Avs team. Makar looked phenomenal offensively. Girard had a rough time later in the playoffs. We just have to see.

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
I would have liked Martin to be in charge of our defense but after the failed Ruff experiment, and Quinn being force-fed Martin as a D-coach, I understand why Drury gave Gallant carte blanche.

Well sure I have no doubts about that, I still say that if Wright and Bedard continue their current trajectory there's no chance in hell you'll get the draft pick that will net you one of them for Nils Lundkvist. Try Laffy, Lundkvist, Schneider and a first and even then it's doubtful as high impact centers are at a premium.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well sure I have no doubts about that, I still say that if Wright and Bedard continue their current trajectory there's no chance in hell you'll get the draft pick that will net you one of them for Nils Lundkvist. Try Laffy, Lundkvist, Schneider and a first and even then it's doubtful as high impact centers are at a premium.

The only realistic center prospects I'd consider trading Lundkvist for are Zegras, Lundell and Cozens. I don't see those teams trading away a young center though, due to their lack of depth.

Maaaybe Turcotte (LA) could work.

Other than that, I don't see a trade where the Rangers maximize his value.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Prospect for prospect trades are rare.
Nils for Newhook would be perfect but the Avs need another defenseman like we need another winger.

my leaning is Jones for Kupari
(or if LAK would consider, Miller for Byfield could work)

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I am sure any team would take him off the Rangers hands. Who wouldn’t want a 21 year old potential superstar right handed dman with a laser shot and on first year of elc?

"I don't know. I just think our 30 year old soon-to-be UFA with an injury history, who peaked at 45 points, is worth a lot more. you are going to need to throw in a 1st plus Kakko or Miller." ~ other fans on the main board.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad