Prospect Info: 2021 Developmental Camp

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Maybe.

There's a world of possibilities out there.

A key difference is the depth we're potentially approaching certain deals with in 2020s vs. the mid-90s.

I'd be okay with trading anyone as long as we got to see them in the NHL first. I would HATE to trade away someone who makes his NHL debut elsewhere and then lights it up for a decade.

I don't think we will see Lundkvist or Schneider traded unless they really have to. As of now, with them on an ELC, there's still a possibility of both making the team and with their ELCs expiring in 2024, it lines up perfectly with Trouba's NMC expiring.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'd be okay with trading anyone as long as we got to see them in the NHL first. I would HATE to trade away someone who makes his NHL debut elsewhere and then lights it up for a decade.

I don't think we will see Lundkvist or Schneider traded unless they really have to. As of now, with them on an ELC, there's still a possibility of both making the team and with their ELCs expiring in 2024, it lines up perfectly with Trouba's NMC expiring.

I would be very surprised if A) The Rangers held onto both for another three years or kept one in the minors and B) if we see what amounts to an entirely “home grown” right side on defense.

Despite the fact that I personally would love/prefer to see a right side of Trouba, Lundkvist and Fox.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I would be very surprised if A) The Rangers held onto both for another three years or kept one in the minors and B) if he see what amounts to an entirely “home grown” right side on defense.

Despite the fact that I personally would love/prefer to see a right side of Trouba, Lundkvist and Fox.
Adding to your point. How is keeping Lundkvist playing on 3rd pair minutes with minimal to 0 effective PP time going to increase his trade value to a point where it’s higher then it is now??
Lundkvist either moves to LD and displaces 1 or Miller/ Lindgren or I doubt he’s on the team longer then a year and half tops

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Adding to your point. How is keeping Lundkvist playing on 3rd pair minutes with minimal to 0 effective PP time going to increase his trade value to a point where it’s higher then it is now??
Lundkvist either moves to LD and displaces 1 or Miller/ Lindgren or I doubt he’s on the team longer then a year and half tops

The path forward for the Rangers will be interesting, with many twists and turns - some of them unexpected.

The thing to keep an eye on, aside from development, will be roles, balance and optimization.

That’s where we start getting into moves that cause debate, or uncertainty.

It also won’t necessarily be because the Rangers don’t like a young player anymore, or soured on him.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm a fan

Think we see him on 3rd line in 2-3 years.
Hopefully in 3-4 years we can roll out a 3rd line of Berard-Barron-Cuylle
Very young and cheap with a lot of potential. Goodrow at that point may slow a bit and adapt to a 4th line role.
Looking for Othmann/Cuylle to be a 2nd line hopeful. Likely Othmann on talent, but can never count out a guy who works his ass off ala Ryan Callahan.
1 thing is for sure, we should have no problem inserting talent young cheap kids in our bottom 6 over the next 4-5 seasons when some guys begin to price themselves out of here due to fox/Zibby/LaF/kakko raises.
There was at least enough foresight to stock the farm with that type of talent after paying a premium for it this year.
Going fwd, our biggest weakness is still top 2 C and quality starting goaltending. Plenty of time to rectify both, especially the ladder

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I have no objection moving Lundkvist for a center prospect of equal pedigree and readiness. Not sure there is a trade partner out there though.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have no objection moving Lundqvist for a center prospect of equal pedigree and readiness. Not sure there is a trade partner out there though.

Anaheim for Zegras would be perfect but Anaheim has no depth at center to warrant that trade. From a value-perspective, it's pretty even IMO.

LA has center prospects, but I don't think they have one that is the same value for a 1-for-1 trade. Turcotte maybe?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Anaheim for Zegras would be perfect but Anaheim has no depth at center to warrant that trade. From a value-perspective, it's pretty even IMO.

LA has center prospects, but I don't think they have one that is the same value for a 1-for-1 trade. Turcotte maybe?

I would even be okay with targeting someone older, like Larkin. The Rangers have a critical need for a cost-controlled top-six center. Chytil is not the guy imo.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
There's no need for us to trade any of these guys right now. If we have 4 competent lines and 3 competent d pairings and a solid goalie, that will go a very long way to our success. Overall team depth makes up for things like needing 2 amazing top 6 centers. And having more depth in your farm system -- even better.

The question facing this team shouldn't be scoring, but one about leadership. Do we have that guy who can straighten out the room, keep the team focused and score the big goal when the team really needs it?

If Laf or Panarin can't be that guy then this is the type of player to find. I feel like all these big trades we all love talking about are based on designing the perfect lineup on paper. We don't need to build the ultimate fantasy team. We need a team with great depth, that all plays the same way and comes in waves and also happens to have oodles of talent. Our depth is a bigger asset than adding one more uber talented player. Be patient and we will be a perennial contender. We don't need another 8-9m player. We need patience, a system and depth. Because the talent is there much more than at any other time in the history of the org. Maybe early 90s rivaled this. Maybe sometime in the 70s. Maybe.

All that to say, I would much rather see how Lundkvist, Schneider and Jones develop this season. Let those players force their way into the plans. Let the chips fall where they may. Then make smart moves using SOME of your depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad