2021 Coyotes Roster Discussion Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I'm sure I will get flamed, but moving OEL and Garland for prospects drafted between 2017-2019, players in their early 20's and some picks would really help replenish what Chayka sold. Garland should be looked at as a free asset coming from the 5th round. Do I want to keep him, absolutely. If we could get a similar haul from Schmaltz or Keller I would much prefer to pull the trigger on one of them, but Schmatlz is producing below a 50 point pace, and Keller is making 7m a year.

I want to see a lot of this core with a new coach. I don't believe Garland will become that much better with a new coach as he seems coach proof and is already putting up more points than I could have ever hoped for.

If we can move Garland and OEL for 2 young defensemen, 2 young forwards and 2 1st round picks does anyone say no?
Scramble these players and take 2 forward and 2 defensemen:
Beauviller, DeBrusk, Vaakanainen, Dobson, Studnicka, Bellows

We can add goalies, or vet defensemen and take back contracts in order to balance anything out.
I like the Islander option a LOT better. Beau, Dobson, Bellows plus 2 firsts for Garland/OEL. I'd jump at that offer.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I love how Garland plays. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he is involved in an off season trade. We need draft capital. We have very little talent right now and are not rich in prospects. If BA indeed wants to rebuild, by the time we seriously challenge Garland will be between 29 and 31. Might as well trade him now with the hope to shorten the rebuild time. If BA is as good as I hope in drafting talent, he should trade everyone but the 22 year olds for draft stock. Yea, including Garland.

Reactions: Sinurgy

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I don't like anything Boston would offer for a Garland return.
Agreed, Boston's window is closing. They have 2 elite assets in their 20's (Pasta, McAvoy) and Carlo is very solid, but that's it. Everyone else is 32+

Reactions: Jakey53

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I like debrusk but he’s pretty lateral (maybe even depreciating in value) compared to Garland. Same price, similar production, but separate trajectories since debrusk is struggling. I could so see debrusk not working here, and even if he did he wouldn’t move the needle much, it would essentially just replace garland’s point production. What would be the point?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I love how Garland plays. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he is involved in an off season trade. We need draft capital. We have very little talent right now and are not rich in prospects. If BA indeed wants to rebuild, by the time we seriously challenge Garland will be between 29 and 31. Might as well trade him now with the hope to shorten the rebuild time. If BA is as good as I hope in drafting talent, he should trade everyone but the 22 year olds for draft stock. Yea, including Garland.
I think if Garland gets traded it will to to a SC contender needing that one player to try and seal the deal. NYI, Boston, Carolina for example.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Sorry slow day.

Teams who are contenders that could use someone on our roster:
TB - not sure we have a fit anywhere. Garland obviously but it could be hard for them to re-sign him.
CAR - Raanta or Kuemper seems like a decent fit here.
FL - I really think Kessel would be a great addition for them, especially since he may be agreeable to go there. They have the cap space.

NYI - Lee being out means they need some scoring. I imagine they are in on Hall, but have the prospects to get Garland. Could always take a not-so-good contract back. Kessel (if he would waive) seems like a possibility as well. They could also add Hall AND Garland especially if we help by taking back a bad contract.
WSH - Garland for McMichael is somewhat interesting. Demers seems like an insurance fit here as well.
Pitt - Goose makes almost too much sense.

Vegas - With Pietrangelo out you would think they could use an upgrade at defense but they keep chugging along. They don't really have the cap for some of our defensemen and I can't really see them wanting to mess with their chemistry by adding Garland.
CO - Not sure anything we have would entice them after the way they continually dominate us. They have some pieces that would make sense for Garland but secondary scoring isn't a big issue for them and they probably want to save space for players they need to re-sign.
MIN - Demers and Goligoski would be a fit with Dumba being out. Garland for secondary scoring. I wonder if Kessel would reconsider going to the midwest now that they are clearly not sellers.

TOR - Sounds like they have interest in our goaltenders.
EDM - Demers would make sense, Garland would make a ton of sense as a skill stand point and fitting in their cap long term. Taking back Neal could give them a lot of flexibility to pile on assets to acquire him.
Winnipeg - Not sure there are many fits. Kind of like Vegas where they seem to have great chemistry and no needs we can jump in to fill.

Just went for the top three teams in each division. Columbus, Boston, St. Louis and Montreal are the next teams in each division.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Insider Trading: Granlund could be an ideal fit for the Leafs

Says Bill Armstrong doesn’t want to rebuild, but willing to make some significant changes.

- Core players not out of the question to be moved
- Kuemper gaining some interest before the deadline as he is scheduled to be healthy by then
- Process of retooling roster likely bleeds into the offseason

this reeks of Keller getting traded. Bummer, love the kid. Will be pissed is G is the one on the outs.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don’t think it’s Keller. Army has known him since he was a kid. I’d guess Schmaltz.

Kuemper needs to go. Get a first rounder and be happy about it.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Insider Trading: Granlund could be an ideal fit for the Leafs

Says Bill Armstrong doesn’t want to rebuild, but willing to make some significant changes.

- Core players not out of the question to be moved
- Kuemper gaining some interest before the deadline as he is scheduled to be healthy by then
- Process of retooling roster likely bleeds into the offseason

this reeks of Keller getting traded. Bummer, love the kid. Will be pissed is G is the one on the outs.

"Not a firesale, but a strong appetite for different" was an interesting quote from the video. I think it will be one or two of Keller, Schmaltz and Garland. Schmaltz is a C, Keller is signed long term and Garland is coming up on an extension and is probably the belle of the ball right now. With rumors shifting around it sure feel like Garland is the guy before the offseason. Then maybe one of Keller or Schmaltz in the offseason. This makes me think OEL will be asked again where he is willing to go to this offseason.

Hope we are revisiting moving Kuemper. Sounds like Toronto is hungry and potentially would fuss up a 1st or 2nd. I wonder if Morgan's timeline he posted yesterday is accurate because Insider Trading seems to believe Kumper will be back for the deadline.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
To me kuemper and Raanta are both gone by the deadline if healthy. Kuemper might return a first if a team like the leafs or oilers get desperate. I’d also love to snag a guy like liljegren from Toronto if they don’t want to part with a pick. Dump goligoski and Demers for whatever.

Big trades like kessel, schmaltz/Keller/Garland and maybe even OEL will be in the off-season

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We’ve got a handful of fairly young, fairly valuable roster players. And a handful of pretty good top prospects. Then we’ve got nothing much of value, and an absolute dearth of draft picks. I just don’t think we’ve got the pieces to ever amount to much. I don’t think some smart signings and a few fortuitous tinkerings, and a new coach is enough.

What Duthie and Dreger were saying just made too much sense. We’re looking at the result of the last rebuild and it just ain’t enough. I think we need major changes. We need to exchange 2-3 of our valuable assets and turn them into 4-6 valuable assets. And we need a ton of luck and to hope that it’s enough.

Say you do OEL+Hunt+4th for DeBrusk+Vaakanainen+2nd

Then Garland+Goligoski+4th for Beauvillier+Dobson+2nd (and a dump like Ladd or Komarov).

Now suddenly you’ve added two D prospects in the tier of Soderstrom, where you had only him before.

DeBrusk and Beauvillier aren’t as good as Garland. But they’re young and pretty good also. And more importantly, they’re two guys rather than one.

And suddenly, we’ve got 4 2nd round picks in an absolute crapshoot draft that nobody has scouted properly. We have assembled a front office built on supposedly elite amateur scouting. Time to put the money where the mouth is and stake reputations. Could luck out tremendously. Get four prospects in that Jenik/Maccelli tier. Don’t f*** up.

It probably still isn’t enough. But it gives us a fighting chance. We at least have an opportunity to luck out a bit. More shit to throw at the wall. More fingers to cross.

rt

May 13, 2004
"Not a firesale, but a strong appetite for different" was an interesting quote from the video. I think it will be one or two of Keller, Schmaltz and Garland. Schmaltz is a C, Keller is signed long term and Garland is coming up on an extension and is probably the belle of the ball right now. With rumors shifting around it sure feel like Garland is the guy before the offseason. Then maybe one of Keller or Schmaltz in the offseason. This makes me think OEL will be asked again where he is willing to go to this offseason.

Hope we are revisiting moving Kuemper. Sounds like Toronto is hungry and potentially would fuss up a 1st or 2nd. I wonder if Morgan's timeline he posted yesterday is accurate because Insider Trading seems to believe Kumper will be back for the deadline.
Would love to force an overpayment from a desperate Toronto on Kuemper. Would LOVE that. Kuemper with max retention for Andersen and Amirov!!!

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Retooling, rebuild, whatever...BA can call it what he wants but the team needs to be in maximize assets mode until they manage to ice an elite level young 1C or a franchise level winger. You do not exit the rebuild until that has occurred. Period.

rt

May 13, 2004
Retooling, rebuild, whatever...BA can call it what he wants but the team needs to be in maximize assets mode until they manage to ice an elite level young 1C or a franchise level winger. You do not exit the rebuild until that has occurred. Period.
Good point. That’s how we got here.

We just need a Shane Wright or a Brad Lambert. That’s all. Of course, in typical Coyotes luck, the league just approved a whole bunch of changes that will make that much harder for us!!!!!

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Here is my take.

Garland and Keller are here to stay. So are Chychrun and Dvorak.

Hammer will come back and I don't think BA will try to force things on OEL again. But he might lose the C in exchange.

Of course if he wishes to go, big yes for BA.

If Kuemper can be reasonably extended, he will. Hill will compete with him full time.

Prov with at least another AHL year, which he needs.

Goli, Demmers, Raanta are as good as gone. Bush, Oesterle, Pitlick stay. Value contracts.

Crouse and Fischer, touch and go.

Schmaltz, Kessel on the move if there is any opportunity to do so, but this will be difficult.

Coming in: a new, attacking thinking coach (Van Ryn) and retooled staff (Varady and Stillman still here).

Whoever we get from the trades (if not picks).

Hayton, Soderstrom full time.

Jenik unsure.

A Macelli surprise.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we trade Kuemper and let Raanta walk, who do people want to see as the 2021-22 starter? I assume Hill will take a decent chunk of games himself.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Absolutely right.

Murphy, Domi, POJ, Bahl and Mercer
Could all realistically be on the roster. I'm not counting Strome in this because Schmaltz is still here. I'm not counting the 7OA from 2017 because Raanta and Stepan were here for years, we have already gotten a return on Stepan and I don't want to just predict we would have drafted the best players available instead of Lias Andersson in Necas or Brannstrom.

Keller-Schmaltz-Garland
Domi-Dvo-Pitlick

OEL-Murphy
Chychrun-Goose

Is a pretty decent looking top 6 and top 4. Younger than our current one, cheaper and allows more flexibility to move vets if needed.

Our prospect pool depth would most likely look like:
Hayton
Soderstrom
Mercer
POJ

Jenik
Bahl
Maccelli
Cappo

Lots more more depth that would start knocking on the door soon. Maybe one of these guys turns into a superstar, maybe one of them helps another player really shine. Maybe one of them would have been used as trade bait to move up in a draft and grab someone like Zegras. All I know if I sure feel a lot better with all of those additional assets and younger roster players than Kessel, Hammer, and 5 months of Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad