WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Perfetti plays slower than most of the others in camp, isn't strong, and doesn't win a lot of puck battles. In other words, if he isn't a contributor when he has the puck, then he isn't that useful, as opposed to guys like Rees, Mercer, and Holloway, who have a versatile skillset. I'd rather have Newhook with his speed than him...is Perfetti really better than McMichael, Tomasino, or Suzuki?

Again, some really good players are going to get cut.

When are the first cuts?
After the game Tuesday ~16 cuts

Reactions: Back in Black

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Perfetti plays slower than most of the others in camp, isn't strong, and doesn't win a lot of puck battles. In other words, if he isn't a contributor when he has the puck, then he isn't that useful, as opposed to guys like Rees, Mercer, and Holloway, who have a versatile skillset. I'd rather have Newhook with his speed than him...is Perfetti really better than McMichael, Tomasino, or Suzuki?

When are the first cuts?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

When are the first cuts?
What Perfetti has done is transition the puck out of his own zone and into the offensive zone with control more than any other forward. Also, in the offensive zone, he makes quick reads and good plays. It's a mistake to build a team around players that look fast and aggressive without the puck (a fairly typical preference for Canadian hockey fans and pundits). A good team needs players that are effective with puck transition and possession so you don't need to be chasing the puck as much. That's what Perfetti has demonstrated.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What Perfetti has done is transition the puck out of his own zone and into the offensive zone with control more than any other forward. Also, in the offensive zone, he makes quick reads and good plays. It's a mistake to build a team around players that look fast and aggressive without the puck (a fairly typical preference for Canadian hockey fans and pundits). A good team needs players that are effective with puck transition and possession so you don't need to be chasing the puck as much. That's what Perfetti has demonstrated.
You need both types of players to win. If every player played at Perfetti's pace and only had his ability to win one on one battles that wouldnt work either. Canada has a really good balance this year, I personally think Perfetti should be a lock.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Wright looks like he needs to get a bit more comfortable but considering how much they had him out there on the PK it’s clear they are trying to find a role for him. I still think he’s on the bubble but they’d like to keep him. I don’t think he’d hurt the team if he played.

Not sure if they intended to imbalance the teams but White definitely had the better forwards and I believe ultimately the better goaltending. I don’t think many of the 02 forwards are going to make the team.
Speaking of goaltending, how have they looked?

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
You need both types of players to win. If every player played at Perfetti's pace and only had his ability to win one on one battles that wouldnt work either. Canada has a really good balance this year, I personally think Perfetti should be a lock.

Perfetti has won a high percentage of board battles the last two games, his skating looks improved and his poise and patience has been tremendous. I think he like many players, has been fighting some rust from not playing for so long but I like his compete, defensive positioning and back checking so far. I don't think he is a lock yet, but I think he is close.

Reactions: hn777

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I’ve been underwhelmed by Suzuki isn’t he supposed to be mtl’s #1 centre or 2c this upcoming season? I’d think he would be blowing players like Perfetti out the door since it was assumed Perfetti still needed another year before NHL.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia

When are the first cuts?
first cuts are tomorrow after scrimmage, will be very interesting

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Is there a scrimmage tonight?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Are they willing to cut some NCAA kids before they even get to play in games, though? Why even make them come out at that point. I’d consider them likely safe. Maybe they send Greig home. I didn’t watch any of the games, but going off of the comments here, there’s going to be a lot of tough, tough cuts. Just a few guesses: Beckman, Clarke, Simoneau, Schwindt, Sembrango, Millman, and Foerster look like some potential cuts. That’s only 7 of the potential 13 cuts too. Hopefully O’Rourke and Hunt can stay, but I’d bet if they’re not cut Tuesday they’d be gone soon after. I do think O’Rourke would add some nice grit as a 7th defenseman if given the opportunity, though. Who else does everyone think will get cut?

Reactions: Gordiiie

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I hope Jarvis and Beckman make it. WHL needs some good forward representation.

Byram on D will do.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
16 cuts is going to be tough. You’re going to be sending good players home.

F: Bourque, Clarke, Foerster, Goncalves, Grieg, Schwindt, Simoneau, Beckman, Suzuki, Lapierre, Jarvis, Zary?

D: Millman, Sebrango, Hunt, Cormier?

G: one of Lennox or Gauthier

God, some of those names are hard to put up there.

Leaves 4 goalies, 10 defensemen, and 16 forwards.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012

F: Bourque, Clarke, Foerster, Goncalves, Grieg, Schwindt, Simoneau, Beckman, Suzuki, Lapierre, Jarvis, Zary?

Zary? He had a ton of chemistry with Dach and Tomassino.

Reactions: 57special

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Zary? He had a ton of chemistry with Dach and Tomassino.

Ya, Zary is not getting cut in the first round of cuts after last nights performance.

I think you will see them release 9 forwards, 4 D and 1 goalie, leaving them with 32 players (18F, 10D, 4 goalies) for the remainder of the Red Deer portion of camp.

Roster size is 14F, 8D and 3 goalies so there would be 7 additional cuts come December 12

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

That looks pretty fair (except for Grieg, but I get it), although I wouldn't be so sure on Zary either and I don't think Wright is safe

Up front that leaves the

Dach/Tomasino
Cozens/McMicheal
Byfield/Krebs
combos they've been running

...along with a great mix of skill and will with Perfetti, Quinn, Holloway, Mercer, Newhook, Pelletier, Poulin, Rees

They will probably keep a couple more for the time being, but that would be an outstanding 14 for the tourney

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That looks pretty fair (except for Grieg, but I get it), although I wouldn't be so sure on Zary either and I don't think Wright is safe

Up front that leaves the

Dach/Tomasino
Cozens/McMicheal
Byfield/Krebs
combos they've been running

...along with a great mix of skill and will with Perfetti, Quinn, Holloway, Mercer, Newhook, Pelletier, Poulin, Rees

They will probably keep a couple more for the time being, but that would be an outstanding 14 for the tourney
Zary doesn't deserve to be cut based on the 1st 2 games . If he has a good 3rd game he'll stick for now. Greig will likely get more than one game.

We have the 6 combos you mentioned .. I would guess adding Mercer, Holloway and Newhook to those 6. Making 9

We need 4 out of Perfetti, Quinn, Rees, Zary, Pelletier, Poulin, Jarvis , Lapierre, ? Wright to make 13 forwards

Pressure is on those guys to distinguish themselves ..I would give Perfetti and Rees an inside track.. I think Zary is close as well.

On D for me..

Byram (L)
Drysdale (R)
Guhle (L)
Korczak (R)

3 out of ... Barron(R) , Spence (R), Harley (L), Robertson (L), Schneider ( R), O'Rourke (L) ? All these guys have had some good and bad moments. I might take Big stay at home crusher Robertson and the puck mover Spence as of right now.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Zary doesn't deserve to be cut based on the 1st 2 games . If he has a good 3rd game he'll stick for now. Greig will likely get more than one game.

We have the 6 combos you mentioned .. I would guess adding Mercer, Holloway and Newhook to those 6. Making 9

We need 4 out of Perfetti, Quinn, Rees, Zary, Pelletier, Poulin, Jarvis , Lapierre, ? Wright to make 13 forwards

Pressure is on those guys to distinguish themselves ..I would give Perfetti and Rees an inside track.. I think Zary is close as well.

On D for me..

Byram (L)
Drysdale (R)
Guhle (L)
Korczak (R)

3 out of ... Barron(R) , Spence (R), Harley (L), Robertson (L), Schneider ( R), O'Rourke (L) ? All these guys have had some good and bad moments. I might take Big stay at home crusher Robertson and the puck mover Spence as of right now.

I get why you might gift Newhook a slot, but why is Holloway automatically on the team? He's done nothing I'm aware of to distinguish himself from the pack.
Also, Mercer and Tomasino are your only right-shot wingers. Doubt that happens.
Finally, aren't they taking 14 forwards this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad