2021 Binghamton Devils and ECHL talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils could've used more veterans for sure, but I'm skeptical that guys willing to come in on AHL deals would've saved the team. Martel played well - do 2 or 3 Martels make this team respectable?

You've also had a ton of roster churn this season.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
The Devils could've used more veterans for sure, but I'm skeptical that guys willing to come in on AHL deals would've saved the team. Martel played well - do 2 or 3 Martels make this team respectable?

You've also had a ton of roster churn this season.
You guys know the team better. I'm just a casual viewer, who throws some random observations.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
First off, I'd like to say I like Patrick Williams and I respect his coverage of the AHL for eliteprospects.

However, I gonna say he didn't turn the game on with his low shot total tweet because I can't remember how many times Lippolis said, "Shot it high over the net" in the first period alone.

Second, regarding the vets. Fitzgerald said they wanted to play this quasi-season in Newark to get a closer look at the kids and this season was never about wins and losses but about development. eNJoy the ride.

The rule requires teams to dress a maximum of five veteran players (excluding goaltenders) in a game. The CBA defines veterans as players who have played more than 320 NHL, AHL or elite-level European regular-season games. Teams may also dress one "veteran-exempt" player (between 261-320 NHL, AHL or high-level European regular-season contests).

For the 2020-21 season, players who had not turned 25 years old before July 1, 2020 will not qualify as a veteran. Landon would like to see a further relaxing of the veteran rule for one season.

Around the AHL: The NHL's top developmental league fights to save its season - EP Rinkside

Under this rule Street, Thomson, Tennyson, and Carrick are vets.

Darcy, Martel, St. Denis are veteran-exempt players.

Players in their fifth pro year: Jacobs (sixth actually), Koules.

Fourth year for Seney and White.

Won't get into G as it doesn't apply, but Wedgewood 9th pro year, Senn fifth pro year.

If you only watched a few games this season it's easy not to like the results. I'm going to say Dennehy and staff (coaches and Fitz, MacKinnon) have to be extremely happy with the progress and development of the prospects. This team didn't quit all season in all situations. Hershey was playing to clinch the division today and keep their hopes of winning the President's trophy over Laval alive.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
First off, I'd like to say I like Patrick Williams and I respect his coverage of the AHL for eliteprospects.

However, I gonna say he didn't turn the game on with his low shot total tweet because I can't remember how many times Lippolis said, "Shot it high over the net" in the first period alone.

Second, regarding the vets. Fitzgerald said they wanted to play this quasi-season in Newark to get a closer look at the kids and this season was never about wins and losses but about development. eNJoy the ride.

The rule requires teams to dress a maximum of five veteran players (excluding goaltenders) in a game. The CBA defines veterans as players who have played more than 320 NHL, AHL or elite-level European regular-season games. Teams may also dress one "veteran-exempt" player (between 261-320 NHL, AHL or high-level European regular-season contests).

For the 2020-21 season, players who had not turned 25 years old before July 1, 2020 will not qualify as a veteran. Landon would like to see a further relaxing of the veteran rule for one season.

Around the AHL: The NHL's top developmental league fights to save its season - EP Rinkside

Won't get into G as it doesn't apply, but Wedgewood 9th pro year, Senn fifth pro year.

If you only watched a few games this season it's easy not to like the results. I'm going to say Dennehy and staff (coaches and Fitz, MacKinnon) have to be extremely happy with the progress and development of the prospects. This team didn't quit all season in all situations. Hershey was playing to clinch the division today and keep their hopes of winning the President's trophy over Laval alive.

Yeah, cool story but with they way people hype most of the prospects down in the AHL you expect 1.) Better Production 2.) Better results.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

By the way, how would you describe Holtz's game in Binghamton. In his first game as a Devil he was very active and involved, but after that the results have been quite a mixed bag. Or am I wrong? In today's game he had some good shots and one great 2-on-1 chance where he never got the puck. In the defensive zone he could be more active.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

By the way, how would you describe Holtz's game in Binghamton. In his first game as a Devil he was very active and involved, but after that the results have been quite a mixed bag. Or am I wrong? In today's game he had some good shots and one great 2-on-1 chance where he never got the puck. In the defensive zone he could be more active.
Holtz needs more games and to learn the system and adjust to NA. He missed some shots high and I agree his two-way game needs improvement.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Also, we played three teams. We went up to Utica and went 0-1-0-1.

The Hersey Bears are almost always a juggernaut but we were 2-0-0-0 last season against them. This season Bing is 1-8-2-1 vs Hersey (and they are 11-1-0-0 against Bing) and Hersey’s record is 23-7-2-0. Sure, it would have been nice to win against them more but they don’t lose a lot.

Bing was 2-2-0-0 against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms last season. This season Bing is 3-7-1-0 plus a tie vs Lehigh (and they are 8-1-1-1 plus a tie against Bing) and Lehigh Valley’s record is 18-7-3-1. Now they weren’t particularly good last season. They signed goalie Zane McIntyre, who went 4-0 (with two SO) for Bing late last season when we traded Domingue for him during the playoff push. McIntyre went 11-3-2-1 for them which shows what goaltending does. We have one game left against them.

Bing were 3-2-0-0 against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins last season. This season were 2-4-2-0 vs baby Pens (and they were 6-1-1-0 against Bing) and W-B/S’s record is 12-12-4-2.

So we played Hersey 12 times, Lehigh Valley 12 times (eventually to be 13 times), Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 8 times and Utica twice (both away).

The losing streak, and losing badly, didn’t really kick until the big club needed defensemen at the end. The record is 6-20-5-2, with no place to put “official” 1-1 tie that happened due to a mid game COVID shutdown. (How very 2020-21.) Are these rookies going to be scarred by 20 regulation losses? I was critical of them not signing a better third goalie than Brodeur Jr but it’s not that big a deal.

You can’t play a bunch a rookie defensemen and vet defensemen at same time. I don’t see the problem with using this season to get them all in there, it’s 34 games on the practice ice rink. It doesn’t take “a lot of work” to add Dakota Mermis-type tweeners like they did in 2019-20. You just sign them.

I do think the team had a center shortage. Street only played 14 games, Schmelzer got in for 14 games, Jobst has been an interesting addition for 12 games, and Schnarr had a nice season was a constant with 32 games. It arguably got dicier after that and that going to effect the wingers. I’m not sure if they see Thompson as a center but he had to play it at times because the shortage of scoring centers.

Again teams sign or trade for productive AHL tweeners scoring centers all the time. I didn’t even know people complained about it. I would replace Street with some younger, healthier and better if possible.

Some of this depends on if they want Mercer to play center because if they do then he probably should do it in the AHL. I know everyone thinks he’s Superman now but center is tough job and it’s easier to learn it in the AHL.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Ok, that guy is drinking the contents of a Bud Light Seltzer can out of a skate boot. That’s wrong on so many levels, I’m assuming he lost a bet to get that goal celebration.

I actually went to the Rapid City Rush site and I think the drinking celebrations are tied to one of their sponsors, Quality Brands of the Black Hills, a beverage and liquor distributor. (Not interesting, but I looked it up.)

Reactions: Tao Jones

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Ok, that guy is drinking the contents of a Bud Light Seltzer can out of a skate boot. That’s wrong on so many levels, I’m assuming he lost a bet to get that goal celebration.

I actually went to the Rapid City Rush site and I think the drinking celebrations are tied to one of their sponsors, Quality Brands of the Black Hills, a beverage and liquor distributor. (Not interesting, but I looked it up.)
There could be a glass in the boot.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
Also, we played three teams. We went up to Utica and went 0-1-0-1.

The Hersey Bears are almost always a juggernaut but we were 2-0-0-0 last season against them. This season Bing is 1-8-2-1 vs Hersey (and they are 11-1-0-0 against Bing) and Hersey’s record is 23-7-2-0. Sure, it would have been nice to win against them more but they don’t lose a lot.

Bing was 2-2-0-0 against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms last season. This season Bing is 3-7-1-0 plus a tie vs Lehigh (and they are 8-1-1-1 plus a tie against Bing) and Lehigh Valley’s record is 18-7-3-1. Now they weren’t particularly good last season. They signed goalie Zane McIntyre, who went 4-0 (with two SO) for Bing late last season when we traded Domingue for him during the playoff push. McIntyre went 11-3-2-1 for them which shows what goaltending does. We have one game left against them.

Bing were 3-2-0-0 against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins last season. This season were 2-4-2-0 vs baby Pens (and they were 6-1-1-0 against Bing) and W-B/S’s record is 12-12-4-2.

So we played Hersey 12 times, Lehigh Valley 12 times (eventually to be 13 times), Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 8 times and Utica twice (both away).

The losing streak, and losing badly, didn’t really kick until the big club needed defensemen at the end. The record is 6-20-5-2, with no place to put “official” 1-1 tie that happened due to a mid game COVID shutdown. (How very 2020-21.) Are these rookies going to be scarred by 20 regulation losses? I was critical of them not signing a better third goalie than Brodeur Jr but it’s not that big a deal.

You can’t play a bunch a rookie defensemen and vet defensemen at same time. I don’t see the problem with using this season to get them all in there, it’s 34 games on the practice ice rink. It doesn’t take “a lot of work” to add Dakota Mermis-type tweeners like they did in 2019-20. You just sign them.

I do think the team had a center shortage. Street only played 14 games, Schmelzer got in for 14 games, Jobst has been an interesting addition for 12 games, and Schnarr had a nice season was a constant with 32 games. It arguably got dicier after that and that going to effect the wingers. I’m not sure if they see Thompson as a center but he had to play it at times because the shortage of scoring centers.

Again teams sign or trade for productive AHL tweeners scoring centers all the time. I didn’t even know people complained about it. I would replace Street with some younger, healthier and better if possible.

Some of this depends on if they want Mercer to play center because if they do then he probably should do it in the AHL. I know everyone thinks he’s Superman now but center is tough job and it’s easier to learn it in the AHL.
Horrendous coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad