Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Down to the last 2…
Nikita Zadorov (Calgary Flames)
Travis Sanheim (Philadelphia Flyers)

Thanks, I didn't see McNiven had a deal.

So both those two are on the last day of arbitration as well eh?

I feel like Sanheim will get sorted but that the Flyers could actually has a stronger case for a lower AAV.

Reactions: BatVader

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Thanks, I didn't see McNiven had a deal.

So both those two are on the last day of arbitration as well eh?

I feel like Sanheim will get sorted but that the Flyers could actually has a stronger case for a lower AAV.
Yeah, both on the 26th, so CGY and PHI have 9 days to work out a deal.
Of the 2 I think Sanheim is more likely to get to arbitration, but I’ve been wrong before, so….lol

Reactions: Flukeshot

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah, both on the 26th, so CGY and PHI have 9 days to work out a deal.
Of the 2 I think Sanheim is more likely to get to arbitration, but I’ve been wrong before, so….lol

I think this is a fair assessment. Sanheim took the bridge previously to bet on himself. The Flyers took it to not put him in a position to succeed and not play him on the powerplay, where he traditionally shines. They have, in effect, artificially capped his potential ask by restricting his value. I could see Sanheim asking for pay/term equal to some of the other contracts being doled out this summer and if not getting one, electing a 2 year bridge to go straight to UFA and seeing what the market is then.

Reactions: BatVader

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
What is the length that arbitration usually gives?

With Zadorov I don't really care about the AAV, would prefer only one or two years though. So hopefully it just goes to arbitration.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What is the length that arbitration usually gives?

With Zadorov I don't really care about the AAV, would prefer only one or two years though. So hopefully it just goes to arbitration.

In a general sense, if the club elects arbitration, the player can choose one or two years.
If the players elects it, the club selects one the one or two year term.

There's some intricacies here, but in general, that's the way it works.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
In a general sense, if the club elects arbitration, the player can choose one or two years.
If the players elects it, the club selects one the one or two year term.

There's some intricacies here, but in general, that's the way it works.

Yup. However there’s a caveat that neither side can choose two years if the player is one year away from free agency.

Zadarov is 26 now and will turn 27 before the 2022-2023 season, which would qualify him as a UFA next summer. So any arbitration award will be for one year. Calgary doesn’t have the option to add a 2nd year.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Travis Sanheim is the last man standing.
Will they get something worked out in advance or will he get to arbitration?

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Not sure I remember a summer when all arbitration hearings were settled beforehand?
Very weird that out of 19 players, not a single one actually went to arbitration.

That Sanheim deal is pretty ugly. Philly might have been better off going to arb over that deal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad