News: 2021 Arbitration Watch

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Assuming they waive one of their 8 dmen/send one to the minors they have about 6 million in cap space to sign/call up the following and have a full roster (1 extra forward and dman)

Copp
3 more forwards
Back up Goalie

Assuming the backup costs 1 million and the 3 forwards combine for 3 million.

They only have 2 left for Copp. Even if they get all 4 on league min, they have 3.2 for copp who will likely get 4 - 4.5.

Comrie is making $750k.

Swap Niku and Heinola for Gustafsson and Vesaleinen and you barely lose any cap space. Those 2 + Copp = 12.

Copp goes to arbitration and gets ~$3.5-4M for 1 year (using Bertuzzi as a comparable last summer.)

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Comrie is making $750k.

Swap Niku and Heinola for Gustafsson and Vesaleinen and you barely lose any cap space. Those 2 + Copp = 12.

Copp goes to arbitration and gets ~$3.5-4M for 1 year (using Bertuzzi as a comparable last summer.)

Teams almost never carry only 12 forwards and 6 Dmen, in my math I assumed they build a normal roster with 13 forwards, 7 dmen, 2 goalies. My math is accurate.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Teams almost never carry only 12 forwards and 6 Dmen, in my math I assumed they build a normal roster with 13 forwards, 7 dmen, 2 goalies. My math is accurate.

So I'm missing a ~$750k F. Subtract ~$150-250k off of your 3Fs and goalie as they were all bloated up to $1M and there you go, call up Perfetti or sign a PTO type dude to 1 year league min. My team includes 7D.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
So I'm missing a ~$750k F. Subtract ~$150-250k off of your 3Fs and goalie as they were all bloated up to $1M and there you go, call up Perfetti or sign a PTO type dude to 1 year league min. My team includes 7D.

I assumed all of your forwards combined for 3 million not 1 million each. Having a 4th line where Noone makes over 700k is not a good idea either.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Assuming they waive one of their 8 dmen/send one to the minors they have about 6 million in cap space to sign/call up the following and have a full roster (1 extra forward and dman)

Copp
3 more forwards
Back up Goalie

Assuming the backup costs 1 million and the 3 forwards combine for 3 million.

They only have 2 left for Copp. Even if they get all 4 on league min, they have 3.2 for copp who will likely get 4 - 4.5.

The Jets have 9 d-men on the roster right now (Heinola, Niku, Beaulieu as extras). Drop Beaulieu's 1.25M and one of Heinola or Niku for two forwards, we could run the full roster.

Edit: capfriendly just updated. We have $4,383,688 to sign Copp if Beaulieu is moved somehow. That would give us 13F/7D/2G.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I assumed all of your forwards combined for 3 million not 1 million each. Having a 4th line where Noone makes over 700k is not a good idea either.

I am confused now. When you say "all of your forwards" what is that # of Fs?

Also, why on earth would it matter how much a player makes? Why would having a 4th line of all players making league minimum be "not a good idea" ? I disagree and suggest it would be an optimal idea. Your 4th line is getting minimal minutes and likely consists of low event type players. If you are paying them multiple millions of dollars each, the top of the roster is going to suffer.

The Jets 4th line will likely have Harkins who is carving a nice role out and making his way up the line up, earning his stripes in the bigs. He is a fine guy to have on a 4th line. And also Riley Nash is a solid veteran 4th liner. There is no issue with having these guys on a team's 4th line.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The Jets have 9 d-men on the roster right now (Heinola, Niku, Beaulieu as extras). Drop Beaulieu's 1.25M and one of Heinola or Niku for two forwards, we could run the full roster.

Edit: capfriendly just updated. We have $4,383,688 to sign Copp if Beaulieu is moved somehow. That would give us 13F/7D/2G.

Capfriendly has the Jets at 8 dmen not 9, which is it missing?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I am confused now. When you say "all of your forwards" what is that # of Fs?

Also, why on earth would it matter how much a player makes? Why would having a 4th line of all players making league minimum be "not a good idea" ? I disagree and suggest it would be an optimal idea. Your 4th line is getting minimal minutes and likely consists of low event type players. If you are paying them multiple millions of dollars each, the top of the roster is going to suffer.

The Jets 4th line will likely have Harkins who is carving a nice role out and making his way up the line up, earning his stripes in the bigs. He is a fine guy to have on a 4th line. And also Riley Nash is a solid veteran 4th liner. There is no issue with having these guys on a team's 4th line.
I mean....ideally, every player makes less than they're worth, but realistically, you pay for quality anywhere in the lineup. A solid 4C that can PK and play up the lineup in case of injuries will generally command quite a bit more than league minimum.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I mean....ideally, every player makes less than they're worth, but realistically, you pay for quality anywhere in the lineup. A solid 4C that can PK and play up the lineup in case of injuries will generally command quite a bit more than league minimum.
well luckily for us we just got a solid 4c who can pk for 750k and have other players that can move up and down depending on injuries

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I agree, and I'd argue they have a really strong 4th line veteran C who PKs in Nash and they got him for a nice rate.

They also have Scheifele, Dubois, Stastny, and Lowry, so they don't really need to get a luxury, borderline 3C type guy.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Last year Pelech had 10 points less than Jones while being miles better in his own zone. Not my fault Bowman decided to inflate the D market.

They both played 56 games. Seth Jones scored at .5 points per game and Pelech scored at .25 points per game. That's pretty substantial. You forgot to mention the sample size was a lot smaller. ~20 points vs ~41 points over the course of a normal season is a pretty big difference at that position.

But Bowman did inflate the market. Yes. (no sarcasm, I agree with that part)

Reactions: CartographerNo611

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
Of the remaining 6, who is the most likely to go to arbitration? Or will all of them settle before it gets to that?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know what Guerin is doing with that offer, other than telling Fiala he isn't wanted.

Reactions: snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad