2021-22 Utica Comets and ECHL thread - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
My thoughts on your list. If I had the checkbook.

NHL UFA:
- Greer is an absolute no brainer and give this guy a raise. At times he was the only Comet going. The 4-3 win in which he scored all 4 goals in mid-February when it was becoming obvious that the team was spiraling downward is the most glaring example. Leading the team in scoring during the playoffs is another just as bright. He is the leader the kids need to follow.
AJ finished the season tied for 2nd in scoring with Zetterlund at 52Pts.

- Deleo was far more effective on the wing than at center. He was forced into the role by the weeakness the Comets suffered at center since June when I, along with others on this site, was pointing out as the players being brought in reflected. Center depth was never acquired and as the season progressed it became more and more obvious. I thought we would see something at the TDL. Nope. How about the papered down center like Peterka. That would be Mercer. Nope. Schnarr traded. Gauthier out for the entire Rochester series and the Comets couldn't win a draw or be set up by a center after the Deleo line. 16 goals and 10 were associated with that line - Greer/Deleo/Zetterlund.
He did end up as the Comets leading scorer with 56 points, 35 of which came on assists which also led the team.

- Gauthier as a 3rd line defensive center vs a team's top line, 1st unit penalty killer and key face off man was extremely valuable to the Comets. There was not another center on the roster who could do any of this, period! In addition to all that he chipped in 32Pts in his 51GP after being sent back to Utica on 11/8 after playing 8 games in and out of the Devils lineup.

- Flynn could be done without. He was an okay bottom 6 forward, much better on the wing than at center, but there are better players out there than him. As an example, the Devils had Jankowsi in camp on a PTO and could have signed and sent him to Utica. They released him and Buffalo signed him. He split time with the Sabres and Rochester. He put up points with the Amerks at nearly a PPG pace (32GP/10G/17A/27 Pts). He also scored 4 goals for the Amerks vs the Comets in the playoffs. Contrast that with Flynn's 26 Pts in 61GP for the season and 1 goal in the Playoffs. I'd seek a better replacement. There are a lot more productive AHL/NHL journeymen to be had for the $280K they paid him. Compare that to the $175K they paid Gauthier and you see much better bang for your buck.

- White scored 3 goals for the Comets in the 6 games he played here. That number was the the total scored over the course of an entire season by each of the following: Vukojevic, Russo, Wotherspoon, Bahl, and Okhotiuk. Only Walsh scored more with 9.
Russo, who is already under contract for next season, broke out with 2G and 3A in his 4GP in the playoffs (suspended for game 4). No other D-man scored a goal in the playoffs.
It never hurts to have a D-man who can put up points a la Walsh as the team's 5th leading scorer.
Colton with only 231 GP between the AHL and NHL would not be considered a veteran by AHL rules and that would make him an excellent acquisition for the Comets. I have a feeling the Devils will not consider him in their D mix for next season, but he would be a guy available for an emergency call-up.

If I were the man making the decisions, I'd be locking these guys up as soon as possible.
Greer, Deleo, Gauthier 3 of the 5 veterans the Comets can play in a single game.
White is a Veteran Defenseman who has yet to play enough games to be considered a veteran under AHL rules.

NHL RFA:
- Thompson will be offered a QO and most likely be a Comet on opening night. man has this kid earned a good paycheck doing almost nothing. 36 Pro GP and already an RFA.

- Zetterlund will also be offered a QO and based upon his development is the forward most likely to move up from the AHL to the NHL. He is waiver eligible and would be a big risk to get claimed if waived.

AHL UFA -
Irvine
Grasso
McGrath
There are much better AHL UFAs than these 3. I'd let them seek their ceiling elsewhere. If they can do no beter than the ECHL, I might consider giving them an AHL contract and reassigning them to Adirondack but only as Desperation Emergency needs, not as the actual team depth.

- Schmelzer was the team captain and according to all involved a good one. He can play the wing and would not have to be a center. Talvitie is already signed. Gauthier would be #3. That's the 3/4 centers. Schmelzer should not be above those 2 and play wing until needed due to injury. If they can see a way to bring back their captain and keep him out of the top 3, but use him on the wing, I do it.

Masonius I wish the best.

Wotherspoon was the Comets leader in +/- at +26. He would be valuable to help kids. The question is who will the "kids" be.
Certainly not Russo or White.
My guess is Walsh will be back and a key on the right side. For the first half of this season he was under Wotherspoon's wing.
Later on his partner switched up a lot;
Ok became a frequent partner
Vuk began to be seen there withsome frequency
Bahl also came into play
From this I think they are no longer seeking to shelter him

Ok and Bahl will be in line to find their way to NJ. That has a lot to do with what Fitz does to deal with Suuban's RD this off and what they decide to do with Smith on the left side.
The consensus among those who don't count, HF posters, is correct the devils have to find a 3rd veteran RD.
If per chance Subban signs for another season on a NJ discount or they acquire the vet RD, that ends a lot of speculation. We know Hamilton and Severson on the right and Siegenthaler and Graves on the left are pretty much locks. Subbie or the newbie would make the top 3 on the right.
If they GIVE Smith a rope to either hang himself or tie himself to the the top 6 and he succeeds they only thing they require is a depth 7 or 7&8 based upon their decision on how many F/D they keep.

Utica looks to have Walsh, Russo, Vukojevic, Groleau.
The decision of what to do with Bahl, Okhotyuk, and White determines what they do with Wotherspoon. Of course what they do with the guys up front also figures into to the availability of veteran spots on the roster which Tyler would require.

The desperate need foir a quality full-time AHL level 1st line center would use up a Vet slot. That guy is more important than a Vet D-man if Russo and White and Walsh can fill that slot. Somebody currently in the line applying to end up in NJ will likely be in Utica - Ty Smith, Kevin Bahl, Nikita Okhotyuk.

Gambardella, already signed for next season, becomes a VE this coming season. His 15 games played with Edmonton in 2018-19 pushes him into the VE status by 2 games.

Mitens I'm sure will be back as #3 unless hey have something different in mind with deals and free agent signings. Also have to realize that Mitens is a free agent and could possibly get a better offer.

All of the free agents can opt for greener pastures an d that green is $$$.

So considering players I have suggested the Comets need for next season this is how they stack up considering Veteran/Veteran Exempt status for next season.

Greer - Vet
Deleo - Vet
Gauthier - Vet
Wotherspoon - Vet

Russo - Vet already under contract
Gambardella - Veteran Exempt already under contract.

That's 5 Vets and 1 Vet Exempt. It's the maximum number allowed on a game night roster. That looks okay except it's missing that crucial #1 center.

They can add the center that has accrued Veteran status and dump one of the Vets listed above. Based on team need Wotherspoon would be the odd man out.
OR
They add the center and keep 1 vet out of the lineup on a game by game decision. If it were to end up Wotherespoon again, based upon the daily roster the Comets had a vet missing for a game very frequently. You go with the odds.
OR you find a center with the necessary talent that has not accrued the 321+ games between the NHL, AHL, and European top level leagues e.g. KHL, SHL, Liiga.
The 3rd would be a real huge find and i don't like your chances, but it's possible. he best way it can happen is to find a kid thaty another team hasn't got room for that is still looking for at least a 2-way to prove he is still NHL material. The better find would be a European player who has less than the 321+ but was never drafted, never ventured to NA, but has blossomed into a very successful player in his homeland whose numbers could be very good in the AHL.
Laberge was told to get a place in Utica, so I think he returns.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Thanks for sharing that breakdown. From your description I can’t help but thinking that if Utica had a healthy Gauthier in this series they win - even with all the other faults and shortcomings. His game is exactly what a young team needs in the playoffs and he would have really shored up the center position. Hopefully someone in NJ will listen to the Utica brass and give the team a good AHL foundation to add to the prospects. As an aside I’m skeptical they do it but Smith really should start next season as Utica’s top lefty defender to rebuild his game. It’s been a great reading your in gane reports and I’m sure all the NJ faithful appreciate it. The Utica fan base is something special and I hope the parent club takes care of your group.
Gauthier and Studenic both have games that are perfect for the playoffs. One unfortunate injury and one unfortunate waiver claim. Only having Walsh for the first game hurt as well. Give me those three players and I like the Comets chances to win a couple rounds.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Scary point. Sabres' organization showed more cohesiveness than Devils.

Seems organizational issues are far bigger than personnel and tactics.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
The plan may be just go with Daws/Schmid/Mitens again next season. I still think a vet G mentor would be good add even as just a backup/1B like a Wedgewood/Danis/Lack. Most of the top of the list probably returns to their current teams.

UFA G by regular season AHL GAA:

Troy Grosenick
Alex Lyon
Charlie Lindgren
Max Lagace
Kevin Poulin
Kevin Domingue
Pheonix Copley
Andrew Hammond
Zane McIntyre
Antoine Bibeau
Ken Appleby

Daws

Calvin Pickard

Schmid

Cory Schneider
Evan Cormier
Pat Nagle
Christopher Gibson
Aaron Dell
Adam Huska
Felix Sandstrom
Keith Kinkaid

The rest

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The plan may be just go with Daws/Schmid/Mitens again next season. I still think a vet G mentor would be good add even as just a backup/1B like a Wedgewood/Danis/Lack. Most of the top of the list probably returns to their current teams.

UFA G by regular season AHL GAA:

Troy Grosenick
Alex Lyon
Charlie Lindgren
Stuart Skinner
Max Lagace
Kevin Poulin
Kevin Domingue
Pheonix Copley
Andrew Hammond
Zane McIntyre
Antoine Bibeau
Ken Appleby

Daws

Calvin Pickard

Schmid

Cory Schneider
Evan Cormier
Pat Nagle
Christopher Gibson
Aaron Dell
Adam Huska
Felix Sandstrom
Keith Kinkaid

The rest

Stuart Skinner is definitely an RFA.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Skinner is an easy one.

He’s a goalie prospect that Oilers fans never shut-up about because a good portion of them are always calling for him to be called up to replace one of their NHL starters. (Both, if he can somehow be cloned.)
I forgot to switch back between RFA and UFA on CF after looking for Joey Daccord.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Scary point. Sabres' organization showed more cohesiveness than Devils.

Seems organizational issues are far bigger than personnel and tactics.

Thr Sabres still missed the playoffs this year. Although they finished higher than us in the standings I'm not concerned that their AHL team squeeked out a best of 5 series against us. To me both franchises have a good ways to go to get back to relevancy but I'm not panicking because Buffalo is finally starting to get it together after 10 plus years.

Reactions: Mgd31 and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thr Sabres still missed the playoffs this year. Although they finished higher than us in the standings I'm not concerned that their AHL team squeeked out a best of 5 series against us. To me both franchises have a good ways to go to get back to relevancy but I'm not panicking because Buffalo is finally starting to get it together after 10 plus years.

If Gauthier and Walsh play and Utica wins it’s hard to see that as some sort of referendum on the state of either franchise so I certainly agree with you.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
DeLeo-Dylan McLaughlin/PTO-Thompson
Kuokkanen-Gauthier-Holtz
Gambardella-Schmelzer-Clarke
Laberge-Talvitie-Halonen/Van Wyhe
Grasso-Irvine-Halonen/Van Wyhe
--McGrath

Okhotiuk/Bahl-Walsh
Vukojevic-Russo
Wotherspoon-Groleau
-Gourley

Daws
x
Schmid
Mitens

Tatar-Hughes-Bratt
Johnsson/Zacha-Hischier-Sharangovich
Wood-Boqvist-Zetterlund
Foote-McLeod-Bastian
Greer-PTO-PTO

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Graves-Severson
Mukhamadullin-Okhotiuk/Bahl
Smith-x

x/Blackwood

Sign Dylan McLaughlin or similar 1C, preferably with fewer than 260 pro GP, if Greer sticks in NHL sign a vet/VE C
Waive Kuokkanen with all the other waivers in October, not by himself like Wedgewood/Studenic
Sign Van Wyhe and Gourley to PTOs, if not ELCs or AHL contracts
Send Grasso-Irvine-Halonen/Van Wyhe to Adirondack
Rotate Mukhamadullin/Okhotiuk/Bahl to NJD
White to UFA
Sign a 1B/backup G for Utica
Rotate Mitens/Schmid/Daws to Adirondack
Trade one or two of Johnsson/Zacha/Tatar
Foote/Greer back to Utica if UFA W signed or acquired in trade
Sign two or three F PTOs
Two of Mukhamadullin/Okhoituk/Bahl back to Utica if UFA D signed or acquired in trade
Mukhamadullin back to Utica after nine games if necessary
Sign a 1A/1B NHL G

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
DeLeo-Dylan McLaughlin/PTO-Thompson
Kuokkanen-Gauthier-Holtz
Gambardella-Schmelzer-Clarke
Laberge-Talvitie-Halonen/Van Wyhe
Grasso-Irvine-Halonen/Van Wyhe
--McGrath

Okhotiuk/Bahl-Walsh
Vukojevic-Russo
Wotherspoon-Groleau
-Gourley

Daws
x
Schmid
Mitens

Tatar-Hughes-Bratt
Johnsson/Zacha-Hischier-Sharangovich
Wood-Boqvist-Zetterlund
Foote-McLeod-Bastian
Greer-PTO-PTO

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Graves-Severson
Mukhamadullin-Okhotiuk/Bahl
Smith-x

x/Blackwood

Sign Dylan McLaughlin or similar 1C, preferably with fewer than 260 pro GP, if Greer sticks in NHL sign a vet/VE C
Waive Kuokkanen with all the other waivers in October, not by himself like Wedgewood/Studenic
Sign Van Wyhe and Gourley to PTOs, if not ELCs or AHL contracts
Send Grasso-Irvine-Halonen/Van Wyhe to Adirondack
Rotate Mukhamadullin/Okhotiuk/Bahl to NJD
White to UFA
Sign a 1B/backup G for Utica
Rotate Mitens/Schmid/Daws to Adirondack
Trade one or two of Johnsson/Zacha/Tatar
Foote/Greer back to Utica if UFA W signed or acquired in trade
Sign two or three F PTOs
Two of Mukhamadullin/Okhoituk/Bahl back to Utica if UFA D signed or acquired in trade
Mukhamadullin back to Utica after nine games if necessary
Sign a 1A/1B NHL G

I always like to start with what I definitely know:
The following forwards are signed to NHL 2-ways and will be Comets next year:
- Joe Gambardella
- Aarne Talvitie (ELC)
- Graeme Clarke (ELC)

D already signed and destined to start in Utica:
- Robbie Russo
- Jeremy Groleau (ELC)
- Michael Vukojevic (ELC)

The Almost sure to be Comets:
- Tyce Thompson - (RFA) Has only played 36 games in 2 seasons. I don't see him with a chance to make the Devils next season, but they will give him a QO and he will sign another NHL 2-way.

- Nolan Foote - Is already signed to an NHL 2-way (ELC). I don't think the Devils will put him NJ next season.

- Ryan Schmelzer - Team Captain. AHL contract. Non veteran. makes all the sense in the world to re-sign him especially since he can play RW and therefore won't have to be penciled in at C if the Comets can get stonger up the middle. Tyler or Aaarne can play RW if the center position is strengthened as it needs to be. Dineen would have his options with these 2. 1 at C and 1 at RW, 1 in the lineup at either spot and 1 scratched, both scratched creating stronger depth, both in the lineup at center because NJ didn't see fit to get stronger up the middle. As long as they don't yank his chain and wait a long time before committing to him, he will re-sign.

- Samuel Laberge - A dependable grinder that started the season in the ECHL with the Adirondack Thunder, got called up, Dineen liked his effort and he was finally signed to an AHL SPC on 1/3 and played total of 53 Games. You say he has been told to find a place in Utica. Guess that says it all.

D almost sure to be Comets:
- Reilly Walsh - He has played 1 game in NJ and that was at the end of last season when several Comets were brought up and all got multiple games. Reilly got 1 and was in the next cab out. He plays the right side. NJ will pick up a veteran RD and whomever else they keep, they will be L/R compatible.

Definitely 1 if not 2 or possibly all 4 of the following for all kinds of reasons. First of all they are waiver ineligible.
- Ty Smith - There is a lot, and I mean a lot, of discussion as to this possibility on here, but IMO he will start his 3rd season after what could simply be the old sophomore slump and NJ will probably give him some rope to prove that was the case. So, when the season opens he will be in NJ. If he continues to play as he played this season, look to see him sent to the farm for major rehab.

- Nilita Mukhamadullin - He is signed. He can use his European out if assigned to Utica. He can opt to play in Russia again after having experienced the AHL and deciding it would be better for his wallet to stay home. He Could actually be kept in NJ as a backup RD, but hat would be stupid since he already showed he needs work in his 3 AHL playoff games this season. IMO if he opts to enter his NA career, he will be assigned to Utica. Mukh is not bound by the 9 game Canadian JR rule of 9 games and then either back to Jrs or has to stay in the NHL all season. Mukh is European and can ride the elevator up and down as often as the Devils wish to employ it.

- Nikita Okhotyuk/Kevin Bahl - 1 of these guys seems to be certain to make the roster. It really depends upon their camp play and how many veteran D-men Fitz acquires this summer. Bahl got the longer look with 17 GP while OK only got 5. They seem destined to get their chance, but it might not come just yet. One might make the roster, but be shuttled down and replaced by the other on a rotation so as to make sure they play a lot of hockey.

It's also a real possibility that NJ doesn't want any of these guys to end up the extra man. They play or they play in Utica and the best man at the time someone is needed in NJ gets the call.

This group will be represented in Utica. How many remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be shocked if they all started there or at least all played some to a lot of games there this season. None are Vets or waiver eligible.

Stands a good chance to be in Utica:
Colton White - He spent most of last season with the Devils, but actually only played 6 games. He is now a UFA and can seek employment elsewhere. Wherever that would be he would surely receive nothing better than a minimum NHL 2-way. Might as well sign here as I can't see any NHL team finding him a real good choice as regular NHL D-man. He is also waver eligible, so expecting to just be able to send him down and bring him back up at will would run a risk of losing him (not thayt I think any NHL tream would think he's the kind of guy they need.

A key factor working in White's favor is he doesn't have the # of GP to qualify as a Vet by AHL rules. This would allow NJ to assign an experienced NHL/AHL tweener that doesn't affect their Veteran quota like Tyler Wotherspoon does.

Gambardella signed signed a 2-way this past season and was not yet qualified as a vet or VE. His 65 GP this season will qualify him as Veteran Exempt in '22-23.

This muddles up the 5+1 the Comets were able to employ last season.
They really need NJ to re-sign:

-Chase Deleo (VET)- Team's top scorer capable of playing all 3 forward positions while excelling most at LW. He will only be 27 for this season.

-AJ Greer (VET) - He was the VE this past season but will now qualify as a VET. He was the straw that stirred the drink in Utica this past season., #2 scorer, and the key role model on the Comets. If you want a guy that takes the bull by the horns and plays the game with the intensity and skill level that personifys what you want your kids to be it's A.J. I have a feeling that his UFA status will make him a hot commodity in the UFA market this season for just such a role on a whole lot of AHL clubs. That's of course if some teams don't think he could help their NHL team. AJ could actually be something the Devils might want to take a look at for their bottom 6.

Frederik Gauthier (VET)- He was a the key defensive center, part of the #1 forward PK duo, Top face-off man, and put up .5 PPG in that role.

Thus,
Greer
Deleo
Gauthier
are 3 guys that NJ should absolutely bring back to join Russo and Gambardella already signed.

That leaves room for only 1 more that can play in any given game by the allowable numbers. The Comets could carry 10 vets, but only 5 +1 VE can play at one time. Of the 6 any number can be VEs, but only 5 can be Vets.

The Comets desperately needed a #1 Center and the need for next season is, therefore, even more evident now. You suggest Dylan McLaughlin who would be what Gambardella was last year, very strong support figure that hasn't reached Vet/VE status. These types don't grow on trees, but are available every season. The Comets need at least 1 of these types to replace Zetterlund who I believe is the most likely Comet to make the big club out of camp. That player becomes the #1 center.

A wing replacement for Z is also a huge need. Another one of those sorts would also be key acquisition.

I think the brass saw enough of Holtz at the end of this season to see all of his faults are not to be fixed in camp and they don't want to push him onto the NJ ice if those issues are present at the NHL level where he will become more of a handicap than the player they are looking for him to become. He will be a 20-yr-old kid. He has shown he can shoot the puck given time and space. However, he doesn't know how to find that space and his stick work with the puck is also in need of a lot of work. His defensive skills when facing a puck carrier or picking up his check needs a lot of work. That's just a couple of things he's not doing well or even at all much of the time. A player of his supposed skill set can't go invisible for large parts of a game or worse for several games in a row.

So,
Deleo (VET) NEW non-vet acquisition or VET if need be, Thompson
Greer,(VET), another definite non vet Acquisition, Holtz
Foote, Gauthier (VET), Clarke
Gambardella (VE), Talvitie/Schmelzer, ?

Groleau-Russo (Vet)
Vukojevic-Walsh
White-Mukhamadullin

Okhotyuk
Bahl
I think one or both of these guys are back to start. I think Fitz wants to get a couple vets in house to allow his kids more time to hone their skills. They are still very young and the days of nothing but kids isn't going to float anymore.

Better pickup experienced defensive non vet than Gourley.

Depth:
Halonen
Irvine (MAYBE!)
I like your idea of signing 3 UFA Fs. Fact is it's imperative.
Experienced AHL level D-man
Gourley

I'd cut bait with the Grasso, McGrath, Stevens, Irvine types. They are a waste of ink. They cannot do an adequate AHL level job.

VanWyhe as a PTO and if he can't cut it release him.

Right now my roster only has 4 fixed vets and 1 VE. That #2 center is as important as the first unless Deleo is moved there permanently with Greer/? and Holtz.
Kukkonen would be a major addition and fill the 5th vet role and more important with Deleo in the middle, Kukkonen can be used to rearrange the top 4 wings to give the top 2 lines good balance while turning the 3rd line to a much more offensive force. You'd have Greer, Kukkonen, and Foote onn the left side to arrange in any order and recognize that Gauthier and Greer are great together.

Until we see what the NJ brain trust does this summer, we are operating on sheer speculation, but I like what WE are building a lot! Too bad we don't have a single ounce of influence. LOL OLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The AHL would be a perfect place for Slafkovsky to play next year if we draft him.
That would be the ideal spot. Several of the World teams he played against were better than a lot of the AHL teams and he played very well against them. It's better than the Liiga in many respects. He would be 18 for the entire season! He would then be 19 for his entire 2nd season where you maybe give him a couple short stints in the NHL based upon how his season is going. There's a lot of time to work with this kid before he has to even look at the NHL. If he didn't start his NHL career until his D+3 year, he would still just be 20 yrs old for the entire season.

This kid has some wrinkles to iron out and there is no need to shove him in there just "because". When he knocks the door down, you let him in at whatever age it turns out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad