2021/22 Utica Comets and ECHL Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It depends upon your defintion. ELC contracts don't determine how long a guy is considered a prospect. There is the theory used by many that D-men take longer to develop and are therefore prospects much longer than the ELC. Teams with loaded rosters cook prospects longer and often have them for 4 or 5 years before you see them move into the NHL.

There are a thimbleful of players who do this and who stay in the NHL. ELCs ending means waiver eligibility except for players who sign at age 21. Of course, Seney isn't a defenseman.

Seney only had a 2-yr ELC after coming in after 4 yrs in college so last year would have been equivalent to a his final ELC for the younger prospect. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt as to prospect status for this season still even if he has UFA G6 status.

Our differences of opinion as to when a guy stops being called a prospect aside, I think Jersey wants to bring him back , but it will be up to Brett. I never care about these guys unless they have shown themselves to be a major contributor to the AHL team. That would have been true of Seney in his 1st 2 seasons, but this year his #s fell off. Have to believe it might have been a psychological blow not to have been given another shot with the Devils and he was recovering from the disappointment/shock and would have patched himself back together and re focused his efforts to prove the Devils needed to give him another shot. There were arguably a few Devils that did not put up impressive numbers and big year in a full AHL season might have given him new stock in the upcoming preseason camp.

I'd bet the Devils would want Seney to come back, ideally, but I see no reason for him to want to come back. He's played 2 NHL games the last two seasons despite the fact that the Devils have been in the toilet both years - the Devils gave long auditions to players like Maltsev and Studenic and did not call up Seney at all. If I were Seney, I would recognize that the Devils don't see me at all in their long-term plans and that while I might get a few games as an emergency call-up at some point, there's just no chance of a long-term roster spot. There's a new team in the NHL next season - that will open up opportunities everywhere.

It's a law of the land in minor hockey, players come and go. Rosters are overhauled annually and sometimes there is little resemblance from one season to the next. Roster building goes on every year and Seney on that roster or not isn't the telling tale of that team's future success. I think he could be an asset, but I'm not the GM.

I think part of being a GM is recognizing when it's best that players move on even if they would help your minor league team, and I think Seney is in that boat. I suspect Jacobs and White are too, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the three on Utica next year. I'd be surprised at 2 of the 3, and shocked if all 3 are back.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I am aware of the status of Anas. I was simply stating that O'Reilly and Anas are the type of players that young forwards prosper under. There are a bunch of those guys available every season. Carter Camper in Utica last season was an AHL lifer who put up 41Pts in 41GP. 32 of those points were assists and 2 prospects in particular profited from his skills used to get them the puck, Kole Lind and Justin Bailey.Bailey had the teams 3rd highest point totals and Lind the 6th. The season before that it was Tanner Kero who put up 57Pts in 67GP with 33 assists. Kero was only 26 and Camper was 30. Street has put up the AHL numbers, but he is growing long in the tooth at 34.

Camper and Street types both on AHL contracts would be super. However, they would take up 2 of the vet spots based upon the AHL rules. That's not a big deal unless the Devils wanted to assign vet status players to Utica. They don't have a large group of those types anyway so this wouldn't be a problem. It should be noted that O'Reilly was also an AHL contract last season as well. These guys are out there and are highly beneficial to the prospects.

It's also a good idea to have a couple of these types on hand for the back end. Solid positional defenders are a godsend to young defenders breaking into the pro game. They become on ice game day coaches teaching at every opportunity both by their own play as well as verbally on the ice and even more on the bench between shifts. Ex-NHL/Stanley Cup winning defenseman Kent Huskins came into the Comets D-corps midway in 2013-14 and by 2014-2015 was highly instrumental in the excellent defensive play of the Comets on their run through the 2015 Calder Cup finals. This kind of player is invaluable to young upstarts.

A good veteran goalie is also a necessity for the development of a rookie keeper. It appears as though rookie Nico Daws will be assigned here. Sharing the load with a solid vet can only help him learn the most important part of the pro game and that is psychological part of the position. That is often more important the physical part of the game. Learning to stay relaxed and let the game come to him will be the biggest hump to cross in his first few seasons. A guy who has "been there, done that" is imperative to a kid who has never played even 1 NA pro game. 10 GP in the DEL is night and day from what he will face in the AHL.
If you’re basing your impression of Fitz’s approach to the AHL team on 2020-21, don’t because that was a weird shortened fake season. The 2019-20 season had plenty of AHL tweeners.

Bing lacked talent and bodies in terms of defensive prospects that season so defensive AHL tweeners were particularly key. The team really had no defensive prospects of note because Ray Shero had barely drafted defense early in his reign so the few fringe defensive prospects in the AHL were undrafted (Groleau, Sissions) or long-time prospects getting closer to aging out (Jacobs, White).

Matt Tennyson (29) was plucked from Buffalo/Rochester, and signed to a 2 year two-way contract paying him 300k. Dakota Mermis (26) was excellent, both in Bing and in his NHL call up, having been with Coyotes the season before, made 200k with us and this season got 250k from Minny. Julian Melchiori (28) was another praised D-tweener, more of a defensive defenseman, who was making 150k after being dumped by Winnipeg. Melchiori was is now playing in Germany. Kyle Cumiskey (32) was another vet on the team who played well. There was more kicking around due to the dearth of real prospects but those were the most successful.

The team was after a defenseman with significant NHL playing experience, they were interested in Andrew Campbell, but he retired at 32 instead becoming a full-time AHL player so they signed Joe Morrow on Oct 6th with a contract that guaranteed at least 300k. For whatever it didn’t go well so his contract was mutually terminated in December and he went to the KHL. (Ski’s take was that he was a locker room cancer and that the team immediately did better when he left, just to spill some tea.)

Now Shero tried to make up for lost time in 2019 by drafting four defenseman before the 7th round (that’s a lot for him). COVID got two of those kids two Bing early, then add Bahl from a trade and Walsh from 2017 draft so last season was the opposite of 2019-20 with suddenly a bunch of defensive prospects of note. I’m not worried about the tweeners who fill out the defensive ranks, other than Morrow they’ve found solid players who worked out really well before. Jacobs is likely gone as a UFA and they can figure if they want to keep White, Quenneville and/or Sissons. They can make space if they want to pair the youngsters with older tweeners, which is typically how it’s done.

There was less need for tweener forwards, at some point in 2019-20 there were 2 forwards we drafted in 2015 playing, 5 from 2016, 3 from 2017 and 1 from 2018.

We paid Ben Street 425k to play in the AHL (he had made 750k in Anaheim in 2018-19 after they poached him from Detroit but that was his only season there.). We picked up Chris Conner, a 35 yo RW who was 2nd in scoring and AC on the Phantoms. Ryan Schmelzer was NCAA FA forward signing who worked out well while Ludvig Larsson was one that didn’t.

After Nick Merkley and Nate Schnarr were added through Taylor Hall trade the depth at forward really began to show itself and the team got on a roll. At the end Kukkanen was added in Sami Vatanen trade, who was just ridiculous with 6 points (3G 3A) in his 4 games. They traded for Zane McIntyre, from Utica, and he won all 4 of his games with Bing that included two shut-outs.

Here’s the record of 2019-20
October: 3-5-2 GF 25 GA 34
November: 4-6-2 GF 34 GA 43
December: 5-6-0 GF 26 GA 33
January: 9-2-0 GF 44 GA 32
February: 8-5-0 GF 40 GA 33
March: 5-0-0 GF 20 GA 7

Part of that rough start was goaltending,

Cormier had a brutal first stint was 1-5-1 with 26 GA before Cory being send down to Bing allowed him to mercifully be sent to ECHL. Yep, Cory popped in Bing... and had 4 straight losses in late Nov/early Dec with 18 GA. Then Cory would win his next 5 games in Bing in late Dec/early Jan with 8 GA and that was part of the turnaround (he then got bad again, it was very extreme *shrug*). Domingue tossed in some wins but Senn eventually settled in for a solid rookie season.

If they want “a winning culture” I think they have to bring in a veteran goalie. Maybe Wedgwood sticks around to play in Utica. Senn was overager who needed get going quickly but he had to share his net as 23 year old rookie with Schneider and Domingue as they were “conditioning” in the AHL and then the season was cut short. And then this weird short season killed any momentum Senn had. Dawes should be the focus and vet should be the buttress. As much as I would love a Latvian goalie I don’t know if you try juggle Mitens in there unless they’re really into him. But I don’t know what they’re going to do with all the goalies.

With forwards, it depends on the moves the made on main team’s roster. The thing about Vancouver is that they a few roster spots filled by few immovable objects and some buried one-way contracts. While there isn’t a desperate need to rush prospects, Devils flat out don’t have many players on contract so there isn’t plugs blocking prospects’ way and there hasn’t been a Sven Bartschi cooling his heels in the AHL so the parent club could save some cap space.

I think with a full season there will be less of “let the kids play” in NJ. I could see Maltsev and/or Boqvist get time in Utica at center. They’re both waiver exempt next season so they easier to stash them in Utica. You want have that kind of depth in AHL in case of an injury outbreak. Studenic isn’t waiver exempt next season, which may have been one of the reasons he got NHL (or not, that’s just a guess).

This is going on forever so I’m going to end by saying for the 27th time that a high end AHL tweener scoring center is critical. Street was that in 2019-20 but I’m not particularly confident he’ll still be that at 34.

Last edited:

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
If you’re basing your impression of Fitz’s approach to the AHL team on 2020-21, don’t because that was a weird shortened fake season. The 2019-20 season had plenty of AHL tweeners.

Bing lacked talent and bodies in terms of defensive prospects that season so defensive AHL tweeners were particularly key. The team really had no defensive prospects of note because Ray Shero had barely drafted defense early in his reign so the few fringe defensive prospects in the AHL were undrafted (Groleau, Sissions) or long-time prospects getting closer to aging out (Jacobs, White).

Matt Tennyson (29) was plucked from Buffalo/Rochester, and signed to a 2 year two-way contract paying him 300k. Dakota Mermis (26) was excellent, both in Bing and in his NHL call up, having been with Coyotes the season before, made 200k with us and this season got 250k from Minny. Julian Melchiori (28) was another praised D-tweener, more of a defensive defenseman, who was making 150k after being dumped by Winnipeg. Melchiori was is now playing in Germany. Kyle Cumiskey (32) was another vet on the team who played well. There was more kicking around due to the dearth of real prospects but those were the most successful.

The team was after a defenseman with significant NHL playing experience, they were interested in Andrew Campbell, but he retired at 32 instead becoming a full-time AHL player so they signed Joe Morrow on Oct 6th with a contract that guaranteed at least 300k. For whatever it didn’t go well so his contract was mutually terminated in December and he went to the KHL. (Ski’s take was that he was a locker room cancer and that the team immediately did better when he left, just to spill some tea.)

Now Shero tried to make up for lost time in 2019 by drafting four defenseman before the 7th round (that’s a lot for him). COVID got two of those kids two Bing early, then add Bahl from a trade and Walsh from 2017 draft and last season was the opposite of 2019-2o with a bunch of defensive prospects of note. I’m not worried about the tweeners who fill out the defensive ranks, other than Morrow they’ve found solid players who worked out really well before. Jacobs is likely gone as a UFA and they can figure if they want to keep White, Quenneville and/or Sissons. They can make space if they want to pair the youngsters with older tweeners, which is typically how it’s done.

There was less need for tweener forwards, at some point in 2019-20 there were 2 forwards we drafted in 2015 playing, 5 from 2016, 3 from 2017 and 1 from 2018.

We paid Ben Street 425k to play in the AHL (he had made 750k in Anaheim in 2018-19 after they poached him from Detroit but that was his only season there.). We picked up Chris Conner, a 35 yo RW who was 2nd in scoring and AC on the Phantoms. Ryan Schmelzer was NCAA FA forward signing who worked out well while Ludvig Larsson was one that didn’t.

After Nick Merkley and Nate Schnarr were added through Taylor Hall trade the depth at forward really began to show itself and the team got on a roll. At the end Kukkanen was added in Sami Vatanen trade, who was just ridiculous with 6 points (3G 3A) in his 4 games. They traded for Zane McIntyre, from Utica, and he won all 4 of his games with Bing that included two shut-outs.

Here’s the record of 2019-20
October: 3-5-2 GF 25 GA 34
November: 4-6-2 GF 34 GA 43
December: 5-6-0 GF 26 GA 33
January: 9-2-0 GF 44 GA 32
February: 8-5-0 GF 40 GA 33
March: 5-0-0 GF 20 GA 7

Part of that rough start was goaltending,

Cormier had a brutal first stint was 1-5-1 with 26 GA before Cory being send down to Bing allowed him to mercifully be sent to ECHL. Yep, Cory popped in Bing... and had 4 straight losses in late Nov/early Dec with 18 GA. Then Cory would win his next 5 games in Bing in late Dec/early Jan with 8 GA and that was part of the turnaround (he then got bad again, it was very extreme *shrug*). Domingue tossed in some wins but Senn eventually settled in for a solid rookie season.

If they want “a winning culture” I think they have to bring in a veteran goalie. Maybe Wedgwood sticks around to play in Utica. Senn was overager who needed get going quickly but he had to share his net as 23 year old rookie with Schneider and Domingue as they were “conditioning” in the AHL and then the season was cut short. And this weird short season killed any momentum Senn had. Dawes should be the focus and vet should be the buttress. As much as I would love a Latvian goalie I don’t know if you try juggle Mitens in there unless they’re really into him. But I don’t know what they’re going to do with all the goalies.

With forwards, it depends on the moves the made on main team’s roster. The thing about Vancouver is that they a few roster spots filled by few immovable objects and some buried one-way contracts. While there isn’t a desperate need to rush prospects, Devils flat out don’t have many players on contract so there isn’t plugs blocking prospects’ way and there hasn’t been a Sven Bartschi cooling his heels in the AHL so the parent club could save some cap space.

I think with a full season there will be less of “let the kids play” in NJ. I could see Maltsev and/or Boqvist get time in Utica at center. They’re both waiver exempt next season so they easier to stash them in Utica. You want have that kind of depth in AHL in case of an injury outbreak. Studenic isn’t waiver exempt next season, which may have been one of the reasons he got NHL (or not, that’s just a guess).

This is going on forever so I’m going to end by saying for the 27th time that a high end AHL tweener scoring center is critical. Street was that in 2019-20 but I’m not particularly confident he’ll still be that at 34.

Jeremy?

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I am aware of the status of Anas. I was simply stating that O'Reilly and Anas are the type of players that young forwards prosper under. There are a bunch of those guys available every season. Carter Camper in Utica last season was an AHL lifer who put up 41Pts in 41GP. 32 of those points were assists and 2 prospects in particular profited from his skills used to get them the puck, Kole Lind and Justin Bailey.Bailey had the teams 3rd highest point totals and Lind the 6th. The season before that it was Tanner Kero who put up 57Pts in 67GP with 33 assists. Kero was only 26 and Camper was 30. Street has put up the AHL numbers, but he is growing long in the tooth at 34.

Camper and Street types both on AHL contracts would be super. However, they would take up 2 of the vet spots based upon the AHL rules. That's not a big deal unless the Devils wanted to assign vet status players to Utica. They don't have a large group of those types anyway so this wouldn't be a problem. It should be noted that O'Reilly was also an AHL contract last season as well. These guys are out there and are highly beneficial to the prospects.

It's also a good idea to have a couple of these types on hand for the back end. Solid positional defenders are a godsend to young defenders breaking into the pro game. They become on ice game day coaches teaching at every opportunity both by their own play as well as verbally on the ice and even more on the bench between shifts. Ex-NHL/Stanley Cup winning defenseman Kent Huskins came into the Comets D-corps midway in 2013-14 and by 2014-2015 was highly instrumental in the excellent defensive play of the Comets on their run through the 2015 Calder Cup finals. This kind of player is invaluable to young upstarts.

A good veteran goalie is also a necessity for the development of a rookie keeper. It appears as though rookie Nico Daws will be assigned here. Sharing the load with a solid vet can only help him learn the most important part of the pro game and that is psychological part of the position. That is often more important the physical part of the game. Learning to stay relaxed and let the game come to him will be the biggest hump to cross in his first few seasons. A guy who has "been there, done that" is imperative to a kid who has never played even 1 NA pro game. 10 GP in the DEL is night and day from what he will face in the AHL.

You've mentioned Carter Camper a few times.

Albany had Carter Camper with an 'A' in 2016-17 before Utica. I was lucky enough to see him play live for Tucson.

Looks like he's killing it in Sweden.

Love Carter Camper.

Hope he doesn't have to move his family again.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Are f***ing with me? It feels like it, lol.

He did well enough in his three games that I guess he could sneak in somewhere but I don’t know if we need a gaggle of 20–22 yo goalies with almost no AHL experience. I don’t know exactly what was supposed to happen with Jeremy Brodeur though...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
You've mentioned Carter Camper a few times.

Albany had Carter Camper with an 'A' in 2016-17 before Utica. I was lucky enough to see him play live for Tucson.

Looks like he's killing it in Sweden.

Love Carter Camper.

Hope he doesn't have to move his family again.

He was interested in coming back to Utica last season before the pandemic debacle. He went to Sweden because of no guarantee of the AHL even happening. After his success there he may have no interest in coming back. That would probably depend upon how much they are paying him over there compared with what he'd get back here. There have been players in Utica that went to Europe and then came back to play in NA. Cal O'Reilly is one.

He would definitely be a welcome addition to this year's roster. I don't see it. I wished Carter well when he went over and wish him all the success and cash he can make while he's there. Hockey won't last forever and I'm not sure what he has to look froward to after hockey. He did attended Miami of Ohio and played hockey there for 4 years. Don't know if he graduated, but he is educated and that may lead him to a post hockey career.

A lot of these guys hang on as long as they can because they have no preparation for anything else. For those guys that's sad. Those that got to the NHL and lasted for a couple seasons over the $mil dollar number should be able to manage just fine as long as they were smart enough to handle that money the right way. No man should be hurting for money in life if they made 2 or 3 million early on. We're not talking about the big bucks here, but the income of the bottom roster players every team needs, but don't have to pay big bucks. Career AHLers are never paid the big bucks and would have to really be wise money managers or have a family member or good friend in their life that can help them along. Too many out there that would fleece them given the chance.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Sam Anas is under contract with St. Louis for 2021-22.

Cal O'Reilly will be 35. I'd just bring back Street. LW Ryan Fitzgerald is who I'd look to sign from LV if Seney doesn't return.

Was wondering about R. Fitzgerald and where he fits in terms of AHL vet status.

Wonder if the Devils GM has his number.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Was wondering about R. Fitzgerald and where he fits in terms of AHL vet status.

Wonder if the Devils GM has his number.
If Seney and Jobst don’t come back, then Fitzgerald could be 5’9” C/LW on the team. (Jobst is actually listed at 5’8” but 185lbs, while Seney is 167lbs and Fitzgerald is 180lbs.)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As to clearing waivers, by the time camps break and the waiver wire is flooded with all the guys being sent down at the same time, most of them clear. Only a real shocking good veteran guy placed on waivers because somebody simply doesn't have room and nobody was looking to trade already or a real promising young guy who hasn't quite put it all together get claimed in the first early season tidal wave. The fact that you have to insert that guy onto your NHL roster makes this more difficult because most teams have done a lot of work to put their final roster together and unless they are going with a real dead cell on that roster, they leave well enough alone at that moment. Later in the year is a different story and if the guy doesn't work out they put him back on waivers and if he's claimed so be it. If not, their AHL club just might get an extra shot in the arm.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
As to clearing waivers, by the time camps break and the waiver wire is flooded with all the guys being sent down at the same time, most of them clear. Only a real shocking good veteran guy placed on waivers because somebody simply doesn't have room and nobody was looking to trade already or a real promising young guy who hasn't quite put it all together get claimed in the first early season tidal wave. The fact that you have to insert that guy onto your NHL roster makes this more difficult because most teams have done a lot of work to put their final roster together and unless they are going with a real dead cell on that roster, they leave well enough alone at that moment. Later in the year is a different story and if the guy doesn't work out they put him back on waivers and if he's claimed so be it. If not, their AHL club just might get an extra shot in the arm.
Oh, I’m not saying that Studenic is someone that the team would be paranoid about losing on waivers next year. There can be prospects you need to be careful about but winger who aren’t scoring much aren’t usually one of them.

I do think both Maltsev and/Boqvist could get work at center in the AHL next year and both of them being waiver exempt next season makes that easy. Maltsev looked very promising, he had solid advanced stats early on last season and then slammed into the rookie wall pretty hard. He really struggled at the end. It also depends on if he ends up playing a bottom winger position in NJ or if they want him at center.

The team seems committed to having Boqvist play center. They might have him figure it out in NJ or they might pick up a UFA center and give Boqvist more center minutes and chance to develop by having him play in Utica for a year.

A lot of this will clear up when see what happens free agency and obviously what Fitz says about his plans for player.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Okay, let's see where I am with this.

Part I -
NJ Forwards:
1 Paval Zacha - 50 GP/35Pts - .7 PPG

2 Jesper Bratt - 46 GP/30Pts - .65 PPG

3 Yegor Sharangovich - 54 GP/30Pts - .56 PPG

4 Jack Hughes - 56 GP/31Pts - .55 PPG

5 Nico Hischier "C" - 21GP/11PTs - .52 PPG

6 Janne Kuokkanev - 50 GP/25Pts - .5 PPG

7 Miles Wood "A" - 55 GP/25Pts - .45 PPG

8 Michael McLeod - 52 GP/15Pts - .29 PPG

9 Nicholas Merkley - 27 GP/10Pts - .37 PPG

10 Mikhail Maltsev - 33 GP/9 Pts - .27 PPG

11 Nathan Bastian - 41GP/10Pts - .25 PPG

12 Jesper Boqvist - 28 GP/7Pts - .25 PPG

13 Andreas Johnson - 50GP/11Pts - .22 PPG

These were the major players for 2020-2021. 5 are RFAs:
Kuokkanen
Sharangovich
McLeod
Bastian
Merkley
I don't see a problem with them being re-signed.

People up front as well as on the backend have to be left unprotected for Seattle. Has NJ made public the stance they will take so you can take a shot at who won't be protected?
Is it 7 Fs/3D/1G 0r 8 skaters and 1 G?

Based upon which they choose, and the first seems the best in their case, who do you see them leaving unprotected and who does that mean likely will be gone?
Just as an example David Holliday thinks Andreas Johnsson, Nick Merkley, and Nathan Bastian should be made available.
I have seen many posters who are afraid it will be McLeod, whom Holliday protected. I would assume those who fear that would have protected Bastian.

In the above list of 13 players, after Woods there isn't much difference in point totals. Obviously the intangibles and number of years already played has more to do with this than the points.

I'm going to leave this one right here since this was the easiest to slot in the 50 to sign. I can't see the Devils having an interest in giving up on any of them except maybe Johnsson since this was not a good season at all for a 5th year pro with the last 3 spent exclusively in the NHL. I am familiar with him from the Marlies as he played against the Comets and was very good. His 2 seasons with the Leafs were also good. Maybe there is something we as the fan base are not aware of and he's due for a big bounce back.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Part II
The second group of forwards:
1 Nolan Foote - NJ (6 GP/2Pts/.33 PPG) Binghamton (22 GP/16Pts/.73PPG)

2 Marian Studenic - NJ (8 GP/2Pts/.25 PPG) Binghamton (22 GP/7Pts/.32 PPG)

3 Tyce Thompson - NJ (7 GP/1Pt/.14 PPG) Binghamton (8 GP/3Pts/.38 PPG)

Of those signed, these are the only others to skate with the Devils this season.

Foote is the only one of the 3 to have put up big numbers in Binghamton.
Foote and Thompson were rookies.
Studenic is already an RFA. His 3-yr AHL PPG is .42PPG. It doesn't suck, but for a guy about to start his 4th season, he is far from the driver's seat.
I would guess Foote has the best shot of making the next big step up to the Devils first.

There are other up and coming prospects who were with Binghamton this year.
1 Fabian Zetterrlund - Played his 2nd season with Binghamton. 31 GP/18Pts/.58 PPG

2 Nathan Schnarr - Played his 2nd AHL season and first full with Binghamton. 30 GP/15Pts/.5 PPG

3 Graeme Clark - Played this past season in Binghamton on an AHL contract. Therefore, his 3-yr ELC begins in 2021-22. So, these were bonus GP to start his career- 28 GP/16Pts/.57 PP

4 Aarne Talvitie - Will play the 1st of his 2 ELC seasons. He got an 18-game head start in Binghamton. on an AHL contract. 18 GP/3Pts/ .16 PPG.

Very similar #s from the top 3. Talvitie got a chance to see where he needs to step up his game which will be necessary if he has a chance to make an impact on the Comets roster.

There are 2 very impressive, young, 2020 1st round selections who will make their pro debuts. Dawson Mercer and Alexander Holtz.

Dawson Mercer - Finished a shortened QMJHL with 36Pts in 23 GP. He then went on to be selected for the Canada U20 squad to play in the WJC-20 where he picked right up where he left off. He has put up 6Pts in 7 GP.
He will begin a 3-yr ELC this coming season.
He will start a 3-yr ELC this season.

Alexander Holtz - Alex just recently signed with NJ after having played a short stint with AHL Binghamton on an ATO. 8 GP/3Pts/.38 PPG.

Both of these kids are 19, but Mercer will be 20 in October as the next season gets underway. Holtz won't be 20 until late January '22. Both have a chance to push their way onto the NJ roster, yet it wouldn't be a shock to see 2 19 yr-olds get a jump start at success in the AHL first.

Some, myself included believe it might be a good idea to start Holtz in the AHL to acclimate his game to NA. It's not like a stint in the AHL is going to detract from his NHL career.

Mercer is the more complete 2-way guy. He has been nominated as the QMJHL's best defensive forward. We already know about his offensive promise.

Camp will determine the result unless Fitzgerald already has their path planned to start.

Unless I have missed some, are there any more promising forwards that are targeted for the AHL this coming season?

I know there are some other lesser guys whom I will address in Part III.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Part II
The second group of forwards:
1 Nolan Foote - NJ (6 GP/2Pts/.33 PPG) Binghamton (22 GP/16Pts/.73PPG)

2 Marian Studenic - NJ (8 GP/2Pts/.25 PPG) Binghamton (22 GP/7Pts/.32 PPG)

3 Tyce Thompson - NJ (7 GP/1Pt/.14 PPG) Binghamton (8 GP/3Pts/.38 PPG)

Of those signed, these are the only others to skate with the Devils this season.

Foote is the only one of the 3 to have put up big numbers in Binghamton.
Foote and Thompson were rookies.
Studenic is already an RFA. His 3-yr AHL PPG is .42PPG. It doesn't suck, but for a guy about to start his 4th season, he is far from the driver's seat.
I would guess Foote has the best shot of making the next big step up to the Devils first.

There are other up and coming prospects who were with Binghamton this year.
1 Fabian Zetterrlund - Played his 2nd season with Binghamton. 31 GP/18Pts/.58 PPG

2 Nathan Schnarr - Played his 2nd AHL season and first full with Binghamton. 30 GP/15Pts/.5 PPG

3 Graeme Clark - Played this past season in Binghamton on an AHL contract. Therefore, his 3-yr ELC begins in 2021-22. So, these were bonus GP to start his career- 28 GP/16Pts/.57 PP

4 Aarne Talvitie - Will play the 1st of his 2 ELC seasons. He got an 18-game head start in Binghamton. on an AHL contract. 18 GP/3Pts/ .16 PPG.

Very similar #s from the top 3. Talvitie got a chance to see where he needs to step up his game which will be necessary if he has a chance to make an impact on the Comets roster.

There are 2 very impressive, young, 2020 1st round selections who will make their pro debuts. Dawson Mercer and Alexander Holtz.

Dawson Mercer - Finished a shortened QMJHL with 36Pts in 23 GP. He then went on to be selected for the Canada U20 squad to play in the WJC-20 where he picked right up where he left off. He has put up 6Pts in 7 GP.
He will begin a 3-yr ELC this coming season.
He will start a 3-yr ELC this season.

Alexander Holtz - Alex just recently signed with NJ after having played a short stint with AHL Binghamton on an ATO. 8 GP/3Pts/.38 PPG.

Both of these kids are 19, but Mercer will be 20 in October as the next season gets underway. Holtz won't be 20 until late January '22. Both have a chance to push their way onto the NJ roster, yet it wouldn't be a shock to see 2 19 yr-olds get a jump start at success in the AHL first.

Some, myself included believe it might be a good idea to start Holtz in the AHL to acclimate his game to NA. It's not like a stint in the AHL is going to detract from his NHL career.

Mercer is the more complete 2-way guy. He has been nominated as the QMJHL's best defensive forward. We already know about his offensive promise.

Camp will determine the result unless Fitzgerald already has their path planned to start.

Unless I have missed some, are there any more promising forwards that are targeted for the AHL this coming season?

I know there are some other lesser guys whom I will address in Part III.

Mercer was really a tale of two seasons. He was basically at a PPG until the WJC. Then after the WJC he stepped up closer to 2 PPG. He finished the playoffs at close to 2 PPG. He took it to another level down the stretch. I’m optimistic there is a good NHL player in Mercer.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Here's a look at part III of the forwards -

There are a few NJ drafted players left off the 2 lists above. Let's see who they are.

1 Brandon Gignac (RFA) - Finished up his ELC which actually came after a bonus season with Bingo in 2017-18 before he signed his ELC in 2018-19.
That first season was terrible with only 3Pts in 21 GP.

The 2016 round 3 NJ selection's first ELC season saw him get one game with the Devils and play 66 games in Binghamton where he recorded 36 Pts. That's a good AHL season for a rookie.

Season 2 he had 14 Pts in 36 GP, but suffered an injury.

Season 3, this past season, he played 2 games with Binghamton and was then relegated to the ECHL Jacksonville Icemen. He made the best of a bad situation by putting up 27Pts in 33 GP.

Some here with more knowledge of this kid than me say the Devils won't offer him a QO. His AHL #s prior to injury were basically .5PPG over the first 2 seasons of his ELC. That's much better than several of the prospects who were in Binghamton this season.He is 23 yrs-old and has reached RFA status.

2.Brett Seney (UFA) - 25 yr-old Brett was a 2015 round 6 selection by NJ. He has only played 3 pro seasons with this his 1st after his 2-Yr ELC ran out. Jersey paid him $250k on the AHL end of the contract. His 3 years have seen him produce at a .63 PPG level in his 129 GP. Combined with his 53 NHL GP he is still well below the AHL's number of games played to make him even a veteran exempt.

3 A.J. Greer (UFA) - A.J. was a 2nd round selection of the Avalanche and played 4 seasons in the Colorado organization where he put up big #s in his final 2 AHL seasons. He was traded to the Islanders and subsequently traded to the Devils in the Palmieri/Zajac trade in yr 5. He was assigned to Binghamton and recorded 14Pts in 16 GP. His AHL #s in the last 3 seasons are very good.

The fact he is starting his 6th season may determine NJ's decision to offer him a contract or just let him walk. That might depend upon what his agent says he can get for him on the open market. He was paid $100K this season. He is just barely over the limit in the # of pro games played to assign him veteran exempt status. However, a team can play with a VE player and still have 5 actual veteran status players on the game day roster. This probably depends upon whether they think he just might be a good fit with some young Comets prospects in giving them an experienced linemate to help them along with their pro development.

4 Mason Jobst (UFA) - 27 yr-old Mason is the other player half the Devils received in the Palmieri/Zajac deal. While he is 27, this will only be his 3rd professional season after playing 4 seasons at NCAA Ohio State U. He split his 2nd season, this past season split between AHL Bridgeport and AHL Binghamton. In his 12 games with Binghamton he recorded 8 Pts. He was only paid $70K and is unlikely to get more than an NHL minimum 2-way from anyone.

I get the feeling that having just been acquired in a trade and showing some good success, both of these last 2 guys, even though free agents, might be offered a deal and it will be up to them to decide if it's enough to entice them to stay.

5 Ben Street (UFA) - The never drafted, 34 yr-old Street would be entering his 12th professional season with his 7th NHL franchise. He has basically been a career AHL player having played 523 games there to go along with a meager 38 NHL contests. He has been a mentor to many NHL hopefuls while putting up 439 AHL Pts for a .83 PPG avg. The knock here may be a very simple one---- AGE. His legs are not equal to the young, early 2o yr-olds that will dominate the Comets roster. So unless the young prospects are slow or he centers a veteran #1 line that would set the example for the kids, he probably doesn't fit on this roster. His veteran spot would be better served by a younger pair of experienced legs.

Tyler Irvine - Tyler signed an AHL contract with Binghamton this season after having played 4 seasons at NCAA Merrimac College. While he served as their captain in his senior year, he was never a big scorer. That fact was even clearer in his 25 games with Bingo. He recorded a scant 4 Pts. Unless Binghamton see the need to sign him up for eventual depth, I'd say he's seen his last of this organization.

The Devils have another group of drafted players signed and playing with European teams. I've always frowned upon players signed with European teams and playing at home instead of making the trek to NA where their supposed dream of the NHL lies. They make more money at home on the bigger ice surfaces in much softer leagues (physically that is). This especially true of the Russians. I refer to it as the Russian principle.

These players Russian, Swedish, and Finnish players in particular come over to NA for the early preseason camps. They weigh their prospective positions for the coming season with the players in camp with them and if they are not major NHL candidates, they go back home instead of heading to the AHL with all of the Canadian and American kids to play together and learn the systems that will be part of their futures and learn to play the more physical, closer checking North American pro game on the smaller North American rinks. The Canadian/American kids labor away with much smaller paychecks and try to earn their way to the show. The European kids come back the next year and many of them follow the exact same pattern. NHL or back home. Some never come over to begin with. Several years later we see the NHLK team trading their rights or simply moving on as if they never existed. With a late round selection so be it, but with higher picks it was a waste of what might have been with a NA selection.

1 Nikita Popugaev (Russia)- Drafted in the 2017 NHL 4th round. He will turn 23 in November of this coming season. A NA kid would be entering the 3rd year of his ELC and for some it would be on an RFA contract. Others would have played in the AHL and earned their way to the NHL by this season. Nikita is signed once again in the KHL. His contract expires after the 22-23 season. He would start 23-24 at 25.

2 Yegor Zaitsev (Russia)- Drafted in the 2017 NHL 7th round. Yegor is already 23 and once again signed to play another season in the KHL and the contract expires after 22-23. He would also start 23-24 at 25.

3 Eetu Pakkila (Finland)- Eetu, a 2018 7th round selection, will turn 22 at the start of this season. It would be the 3rd and final yr of a NA kid's ELC. His contract expires after the 23-24 season. He'll be 24.

4 Daniil Misyul (Russia/Belarus) - Daniil, a 2019 3rd round selection, starts this season about to turn 21 which would be season 2 for the expectant prospect. His current contract expires after 22-23. 23 when he starts the 23-24.

5 Arseni Gritsyuk (Russia) - Drafted in the 2019 5th round Arseni will be 20 when the season starts. He is signed to play in the KHL this season. His contract expires after '22-23. He would only be 22 when '23-24 starts if he doesn't sign another contract.

6 Nikola Pasic (Sweden) - Drafted in the 2019 7th round Nikola will be 20 at the start of the season. His contract expires after '22-23. He starts the '23-24 season at 22.

They all arrive at the earliest after the NA kids not in the NHL will have finished their ELCs laboring away to learn their trade in long grueling 76 game seasons which could be extended by as many as 28 more games should they be fortunate to make the Calder Cup Playoffs and go four 7-game series.
The European kids will have played much shorter less trying seasons and learned nothing of the NA game. This doesn't usually mean a whole lot to the blue chip can't miss type players from any nation, but the kids we are talking about here are not those kids or they would already be NHL regulars and some for a few seasons already.

My experience with these guys is that if they don't arrive shortly after 20 years of age and mix in with the rest of the prospects they don't make it. The really good ones don't opt to stay home. They get over here as quickly as possible and amke their mark early.

The 2020 Europeans are 1st round selection Shamir Mukhamadulin and 4th rounder Jaromir Pytlik.

Shamir, 19, has one year left on a KHL contract and is said to be on his way to NA when that season ends. That's how a 1st round Jr would be coming along.

Pytlik, will be 20 when the season starts and his contract obligations extend through 22-23. That means he comes to NA at 22. Most drafted NA kids starting this season at 20 would be in the AHL and be entering the 3rd year of their ELC when Pytlik first arrives.

NEXT UP THE DEFENSE

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

There are a few NJ drafted players left off the 2 lists above. Let's see who they are.

1 Brandon Gignac (RFA) - Finished up his ELC which actually came after a bonus season with Bingo in 2017-18 before he signed his ELC in 2018-19.

The 2016 round 3 NJ selection's first ELC season saw him get one game with the Devils and play 66 games in Binghamton where he recorded 36 Pts. That's a good AHL season for a rookie.

Season 3, this past season, he played 2 games with Binghamton and was then relegated to the ECHL Jacksonville Icemen. He made the best of a bad situation by putting up 27Pts in 33 GP.

Some here with more knowledge of this kid than me say the Devils won't offer him a QO. His AHL #s prior to injury were basically .5PPG over the first 2 seasons of his ELC. That's much better than several of the prospects who were in Binghamton this season.He is 23 yrs-old and has reached RFA status.

2.Brett Seney (UFA) - 25 yr-old Brett was a 2015 round 6 selection by NJ. He has only played 3 pro seasons with this his 1st after his 2-Yr ELC ran out. Jersey paid him $250k on the AHL end of the contract. His 3 years have seen him produce at a .63 PPG level in his 129 GP. Combined with his 53 NHL GP he is still well below the AHL's number of games played to make him even a veteran exempt.

3 A.J. Greer (UFA) - A.J. was a 2nd round selection of the Avalanche and played 4 seasons in the Colorado organization where he put up big #s in his final 2 AHL seasons. He was traded to the Islanders and subsequently traded to the Devils in the Palmieri/Zajac trade in yr 5. He was assigned to Binghamton and recorded 14Pts in 16 GP. His AHL #s in the last 3 seasons are very good.

The fact he is starting his 6th season may determine NJ's decision to offer him a contract or just let him walk. That might depend upon what his agent says he can get for him on the open market. He was paid $100K this season. He is just barely over the limit in the # of pro games played to assign him veteran exempt status. However, a team can play with a VE player and still have 5 actual veteran status players on the game day roster. This probably depends upon whether they think he just might be a good fit with some young Comets prospects in giving them an experienced linemate to help them along with their pro development.

4 Mason Jobst (UFA) - 27 yr-old Mason is the other player half the Devils received in the Palmieri/Zajac deal. While he is 27, this will only be his 3rd professional season after playing 4 seasons at NCAA Ohio State U. He split his 2nd season, this past season split between AHL Bridgeport and AHL Binghamton. In his 12 games with Binghamton he recorded 8 Pts. He was only paid $70K and is unlikely to get more than an NHL minimum 2-way from anyone.

I get the feeling that having just been acquired in a trade and showing some good success, both of these last 2 guys, even though free agents, might be offered a deal and it will be up to them to decide if it's enough to entice them to stay.

5 Ben Street (UFA) - The never drafted, 34 yr-old Street would be entering his 12th professional season with his 7th NHL franchise. He has basically been a career AHL player having played 523 games there to go along with a meager 38 NHL contests. He has been a mentor to many NHL hopefuls while putting up 439 AHL Pts for a .83 PPG avg. The knock here may be a very simple one---- AGE. His legs are not equal to the young, early 2o yr-olds that will dominate the Comets roster. So unless the young prospects are slow or he centers a veteran #1 line that would set the example for the kids, he probably doesn't fit on this roster. His veteran spot would be better served by a younger pair of experienced legs.

Tyler Irvine - Tyler signed an AHL contract with Binghamton this season after having played 4 seasons at NCAA Merrimac College. While he served as their captain in his senior year, he was never a big scorer. That fact was even clearer in his 25 games with Bingo. He recorded a scant 4 Pts. Unless Binghamton see the need to sign him up for eventual depth, I'd say he's seen his last of this organization.

The Devils have another group of drafted players signed and playing with European teams. I've always frowned upon players signed with European teams and playing at home instead of making the trek to NA where their supposed dream of the NHL lies. They make more money at home on the bigger ice surfaces in much softer leagues (physically that is). This especially true of the Russians. I refer to it as the Russian principle.

These players Russian, Swedish, and Finnish players in particular come over to NA for the early preseason camps. They weigh their prospective positions for the coming season with the players in camp with them and if they are not major NHL candidates, they go back home instead of heading to the AHL with all of the Canadian and American kids to play together and learn the systems that will be part of their futures and learn to play the more physical, closer checking North American pro game on the smaller North American rinks. The Canadian/American kids labor away with much smaller paychecks and try to earn their way to the show. The European kids come back the next year and many of them follow the exact same pattern. NHL or back home. Some never come over to begin with. Several years later we see the NHLK team trading their rights or simply moving on as if they never existed. With a late round selection so be it, but with higher picks it was a waste of what might have been with a NA selection.

1 Nikita Popugaev (Russia)- Drafted in the 2017 NHL 4th round. He will turn 23 in November of this coming season. A NA kid would be entering the 3rd year of his ELC and for some it would be on an RFA contract. Others would have played in the AHL and earned their way to the NHL by this season. Nikita is signed once again in the KHL. His contract expires after the 22-23 season. He would start 23-24 at 25.

2 Yegor Zaitsev (Russia)- Drafted in the 2017 NHL 7th round. Yegor is already 23 and once again signed to play another season in the KHL and the contract expires after 22-23. He would also start 23-24 at 25.

3 Eetu Pakkila (Finland)- Eetu, a 2018 7th round selection, will turn 22 at the start of this season. It would be the 3rd and final yr of a NA kid's ELC. His contract expires after the 23-24 season. He'll be 24.

4 Daniil Misyul (Russia/Belarus) - Daniil, a 2019 3rd round selection, starts this season about to turn 21 which would be season 2 for the expectant prospect. His current contract expires after 22-23. 23 when he starts the 23-24.

5 Arseni Gritsyuk (Russia) - Drafted in the 2019 5th round Arseni will be 20 when the season starts. He is signed to play in the KHL this season. His contract expires after '22-23. He would only be 22 when '23-24 starts if he doesn't sign another contract.

6 Nikola Pasic (Sweden) - Drafted in the 2019 7th round Nikola will be 20 at the start of the season. His contract expires after '22-23. He starts the '23-24 season at 22.

They all arrive at the earliest after the NA kids not in the NHL will have finished their ELCs laboring away to learn their trade in long grueling 76 game seasons which could be extended by as many as 28 more games should they be fortunate to make the Calder Cup Playoffs and go four 7-game series.
The European kids will have played much shorter less trying seasons and learned nothing of the NA game. This doesn't usually mean a whole lot to the blue chip can't miss type players from any nation, but the kids we are talking about here are not those kids or they would already be NHL regulars and some for a few seasons already.

My experience with these guys is that if they don't arrive shortly after 20 years of age and mix in with the rest of the prospects they don't make it. The really good ones don't opt to stay home. They get over here as quickly as possible and amke their mark early.

The 2020 Europeans are 1st round selection Shamir Mukhamadulin and 4th rounder Jaromir Pytlik.

Shamir, 19, has one year left on a KHL contract and is said to be on his way to NA when that season ends. That's how a 1st round Jr would be coming along.

Pytlik, will be 20 when the season starts and his contract obligations extend through 22-23. That means he comes to NA at 22. Most drafted NA kids starting this season at 20 would be in the AHL and be entering the 3rd year of their ELC when Pytlik first arrives.

NEXT UP THE DEFENSE

Thats quite the breakdown of these guys. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As for the Euro players it’s not a foregone conclusion and sometimes there are late bloomers. Look at Olofsson on BUF or Kaprizov on MN. If Pytlik develops his gane I could see NJ trying to get him to come over. They seem to have cycled all their true center prospects up to the NHL right now. RW will be very crowded. LD will be crowded. I’m not sure if it makes sense for a Misyul to play in the AHL right now. If he was a righty it’s a different story. And no matter what happens you want Seney in Utica. Not for the on ice play necessarily (although he’s a very good AHL player) but for what some of us think may be his posts here.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

NEXT UP THE DEFENSE

The ECHL regular season ends tomorrow.

Gignac had six shots tonight, but no points and was -1.

He is definitely playing for his next contract wherever that may be, as is D David Quenneville whose season will also end tomorrow.

D Colby Sissons will be the lone NJD contracted player to make the Kelly Cup playoffs in what is now his lame duck season as he has signed for 2021-22 in the HockeyAllsvenskan (SHL minors).

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't see why Pytlik is being written off - he didn't have a season this year. He didn't play. Nobody knows where his game is at. Moreover, even though Utica is weak at center, it is pretty set on bottom line centers with Schnarr and Talvitie - I don't see Pytlik getting ice time in Utica next season, and there's no reason to start his ELC if he's going to be in the ECHL.

If he's good in Finland, I expect he will sign here at the end of that deal. If not, so be it. We'll see next year where a lot of these guys are at.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't see why Pytlik is being written off - he didn't have a season this year. He didn't play. Nobody knows where his game is at. Moreover, even though Utica is weak at center, it is pretty set on bottom line centers with Schnarr and Talvitie - I don't see Pytlik getting ice time in Utica next season, and there's no reason to start his ELC if he's going to be in the ECHL.

If he's good in Finland, I expect he will sign here at the end of that deal. If not, so be it. We'll see next year where a lot of these guys are at.

So, are you saying he couldn't make the team? That's what the AHL is for. If you can't compete with the other guys in your age group you are not going to make it anyways. If you let them get a 2 or 3 year jump on you, the chances of you overtaking them are really reduced unless you are a blue chip, can't miss NHLer. If that were the case, you wouldn't be hanging around in Finland or elsewhere while your prime years are passing you by. He's a 4th round pick and the chances of that selection becoming an NHL regular are very slim to begin with. In a building program like New Jersey you get your butt into the system as soon as you can and try to make yourself noticed. Only those who are standing out will be kept on hand and more young'uns will be brought onto the scene and they won't all come form the draft either. There won't be any crying over the ones they let go. It's sink or swim and they won't take many seasons to decide who is drowning.

I hear this argument all the time. He couldn't push his way onto the roster now anyways.

Why not? Are these guys all world beaters? If yes, then the Devils are set for years. I don't hear anyone singing the praises of a dynasty. In fact I hear that there are weaknesses all over the place. Even a bunch of the guys who played in NJ last year didn't have good seasons. NJ is attempting to separate the wheat from the chaff. They are building a future. If the guys who get the shot don't produce, new guys will be shuffled right in for their chance. Mercer, Holtz, and Foote would be examples right now of guys the Devils are hoping force their way into the fray. That will mean someone who was there last year will be sent down to bring their game up to snuff. If they can't, they become the guys to help the ones who will make it finalize their games. They are also available as trade add ons. There will be no crying over the not quite good enough.

Man, if you are in this organization the chances for you are much greater than for those of prospects looking at established rosters. You want to make an impression as soon as you can. Tooling around in other countries while other guys over here battle for positions isn't the best path to take. Established players are much more difficult to replace than guys hanging on who can be overthrown by guys who come in and put up better numbers and prove to have a more solid 2-way game.

This a great day to be a prospect in the New Jersey franchise. If Fitz does a good job, there are going to be a slew of bodies in very heated competition here for a few short years and then the peeling off of those who can't cut it will be intense. A great time to be a fan. You get to watch the construction of a challenger for the grail. On the other hand you can watch the mismanagement and waste of the talent that was at hand and I think I've seen a lot of that path with Vancouver. I hope Fitz has a better plan.

A while back in my youth I watched the Toronto Maple Leafs put together a team that won their last cup and they built a Calder Cup powerhouse in Rochester in the process.

I also watched Bill Torrey construct a dynasty on Long Island piece by piece from an expansion team that flat out sucked to NHL dominance and 4 straight Stanley Cups.

Many of you as well as me watched Lou Lam do a similar act with the New Jersey Devils.

Fitz is hopefully going to work a similar act of magic. We in Utica are hoping he stocks the cupboards here with a bunch of kids who will help that hope become a reality. They need to build that team in small groups, not single individuals. You work a group of kids together and get them to a point that they are successful with each other and then that little group can move up and become a segment of the future and so on. If you are doing it one player at a time, your core just keeps aging out at the top and you replace at the bottom and it's just a continual spinning of the wheels and not getting anywhere but mediocre.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
There are enough of europeans who starts to play in NA after 22, even after 24 years and they are do it successfully.
Some hockey fans think that AHL is second league and good place to develop. But its not. And I dont think AHL is a third league. Especially if we talking about significance and consitancy of competition in every game and every shift.
And some players want to make some money and name before travel to NA, for having some plan B, if things will not go well. It`s a life.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So, are you saying he couldn't make the team? That's what the AHL is for. If you can't compete with the other guys in your age group you are not going to make it anyways. If you let them get a 2 or 3 year jump on you, the chances of you overtaking them are really reduced unless you are a blue chip, can't miss NHLer. If that were the case, you wouldn't be hanging around in Finland or elsewhere while your prime years are passing you by. He's a 4th round pick and the chances of that selection becoming an NHL regular are very slim to begin with. In a building program like New Jersey you get your butt into the system as soon as you can and try to make yourself noticed. Only those who are standing out will be kept on hand and more young'uns will be brought onto the scene and they won't all come form the draft either. There won't be any crying over the ones they let go. It's sink or swim and they won't take many seasons to decide who is drowning.

I hear this argument all the time. He couldn't push his way onto the roster now anyways.

It is constant on this board that so many people just assume that 2020-21 was a normal year in the hockey world and it just wasn't, it is unlike any year before it, and we have to acknowledge that. I agree if Pytlik had a good junior season and then went to Europe, I'd be very concerned, or at least disappointed. But he barely played anywhere last season, the AHL is a big step up from the OHL, and I don't blame either the Devils or Pytlik if either one of them made the decision that not playing in North American pro hockey is the best decision for both, and I'd also understand if Pytlik was pissed at the OHL for not playing and didn't want to return to Sault Ste Marie, either.

Man, if you are in this organization the chances for you are much greater than for those of prospects looking at established rosters. You want to make an impression as soon as you can. Tooling around in other countries while other guys over here battle for positions isn't the best path to take. Established players are much more difficult to replace than guys hanging on who can be overthrown by guys who come in and put up better numbers and prove to have a more solid 2-way game.

Coming in too early and getting lost in the shuffle is also a thing that can happen to a player - plenty of guys out there who didn't establish themselves early enough and then that was it, they were overlooked, or shuttled between the AHL and ECHL. While I don't assume that Pytlik will be dressing every game in KalPa, I assume he will be on the roster all year, and that's probably better, development-wise.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It is constant on this board that so many people just assume that 2020-21 was a normal year in the hockey world and it just wasn't, it is unlike any year before it, and we have to acknowledge that. I agree if Pytlik had a good junior season and then went to Europe, I'd be very concerned, or at least disappointed. But he barely played anywhere last season, the AHL is a big step up from the OHL, and I don't blame either the Devils or Pytlik if either one of them made the decision that not playing in North American pro hockey is the best decision for both, and I'd also understand if Pytlik was pissed at the OHL for not playing and didn't want to return to Sault Ste Marie, either.

Coming in too early and getting lost in the shuffle is also a thing that can happen to a player - plenty of guys out there who didn't establish themselves early enough and then that was it, they were overlooked, or shuttled between the AHL and ECHL. While I don't assume that Pytlik will be dressing every game in KalPa, I assume he will be on the roster all year, and that's probably better, development-wise.

Or maybe the OHL recognized he just wasn't as good as the rest of their players. Do you think they purposely left him out of the picture? This is what I mean. The Canadian and American kids don't get that luxury of having another pro league to slowly nurture them along. They go ECHL or AHL and that's it. If you want to play in the Liiga, KHL, SHL, Swiss NL, DEL fine. If they want to play in the NHL they should go into the same pool as the NA kids. If they don't make it, there is always the European leagues to go back to just as the NA kids who don't make it go to Europe and do very well. The European top leagues are filled with NA players who were NHL/AHL tweeners or didn't get past the AHL. You were drafted by an NHL team. Come to their development programs and ply your skill sets.

That's just my opinion and you have yours. We don't need to get into a hassle over this. Agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad