2021/22 Utica Comets and ECHL Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Or maybe the OHL recognized he just wasn't as good as the rest of their players. Do you think they purposely left him out of the picture?

What are you talking about? The OHL did not play at all this year. Maybe you're suggesting that because of the CHL import rule, Pytlik's team has found 2 better imports and no longer wants him - this would represent a very deep asymmetry in value where Pytlik could sign with a Finnish men's team for 2 years but that an OHL team could find 2 better imports than an overage player who went in the 4th round in the NHL draft.

This is what I mean. The Canadian and American kids don't get that luxury of having another pro league to slowly nurture them along. They go ECHL or AHL and that's it. If you want to play in the Liiga, KHL, SHL, Swiss NL, DEL fine. If they want to play in the NHL they should go into the same pool as the NA kids. If they don't make it, there is always the European leagues to go back to just as the NA kids who don't make it go to Europe and do very well. The European top leagues are filled with NA players who were NHL/AHL tweeners or didn't get past the AHL. You were drafted by an NHL team. Come to their development programs and ply your skill sets.

That's just my opinion and you have yours. We don't need to get into a hassle over this. Agree to disagree.

This season threw all of that out. The Clarkes played in Slovakia. Nico Daws played in Germany. Nick Merkley went over to Finland when the AHL didn't start on time. Things have become discombobulated and it's going to take a few years for everything to return to normal, development-wise.

Reactions: Darkauron

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
There are enough of europeans who starts to play in NA after 22, even after 24 years and they are do it successfully.
Some hockey fans think that AHL is second league and good place to develop. But its not. And I dont think AHL is a third league. Especially if we talking about significance and consitancy of competition in every game and every shift.
And some players want to make some money and name before travel to NA, for having some plan B, if things will not go well. It`s a life.
Panarin (F)- 24
Kaprizov (F) - 23
Kubalik (F) - 24
Olofsson (F) - 23
Donskoi (F) - 23
Jarnkrok (F) - 22
Mikheyev (F) - 25
Ruotsalainen (F) - 23
Asplund (F) - 22
Zaitsev (D) - 25
Zub (D) - 25
Gavrikov (D) - 24
Nutivaara (D) - 22
Lyubushkin (D) - 24
Hakanpaa (D) - 27
Leskinen (D) -22
Mikkola (D) - 23
Lehtonen (D) - 27

The fact is the AHL is only so big and NHL teams can only have 50 contracts going at a time. It’s actually helpful to have unsigned project players picked later in draft develop in Europe. These guys have their long term professional hockey careers to think about too so it makes sense for them.

I don’t understand all the talk about contract lengths though because the transfer agreements with the IIHF means the contracts with most European leagues other than KHL don’t prevent the player from signing earlier.

Now the IIHF and NHL agreed to a unique transfer agreement for 2020-21 due to COVID. I don’t know what the exact 2021-22 agreement will be and I’m not lawyer or amateur enthusiast when it comes to NHL contractual agreements but I’ve not heard of NHL teams not getting Swedish or Czech or Finnish players over here due to pre-existing contracts because of the transfer agreements. The European clubs get a set amount of money for the players under contract who get signed by a NHL team and get nothing for prospects not under contract.

The Swiss NL league is independent, and it pays the most so it’s financial resources likely make it less beholden to the payoffs that gets the NHL the transfer agreement, but they did have separate one year transfer agreement with the NHL in 2020-21. Again, I don’t know what’s happening there next but I’m not super concerned since it only effects Baumgartner.

I consider Pylik a strong prospect and I’m not worried at all about Pytlik’s contract length with Liiga but if other people want to freak out over it they are welcome to and I won’t debate this issue because I’d rather drink bleach than get into weeds with this. The odds for getting signed differ for all the various European prospects depending on position, age and how they developed though.

With the KHL players Fitz already said he’s going to be pretty aggressive with getting Muk over sooner than later (I forgot the exact quote). I’m a little bummed at the length of players like Misyul contracts but that’s par for the course with a lot of KHL players. KHL players have come over and fit right in the NHL pretty quickly and the KHL rinks are actually close to the size of NHL rinks.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Panarin (F)- 24
Kaprizov (F) - 23
Kubalik (F) - 24
Olofsson (F) - 23
Donskoi (F) - 23
Jarnkrok (F) - 22
Mikheyev (F) - 25
Ruotsalainen (F) - 23
Asplund (F) - 22
Zaitsev (D) - 25
Zub (D) - 25
Gavrikov (D) - 24
Nutivaara (D) - 22
Lyubushkin (D) - 24
Hakanpaa (D) - 27
Leskinen (D) -22
Mikkola (D) - 23
Lehtonen (D) - 27

The fact is the AHL is only so big and NHL teams can only have 50 contracts going at a time. It’s actually helpful to have unsigned project players picked later in draft develop in Europe. These guys have their long term professional hockey careers to think about too so it makes sense for them.

I don’t understand all the talk about contract lengths though because the transfer agreements with the IIHF means the contracts with most European leagues other than KHL don’t prevent the player from signing earlier.

Now the IIHF and NHL agreed to a unique transfer agreement for 2020-21 due to COVID. I don’t know what the exact 2021-22 agreement will be and I’m not lawyer or amateur enthusiast when it comes to NHL contractual agreements but I’ve not heard of NHL teams not getting Swedish or Czech or Finnish players over here due to pre-existing contracts because of the transfer agreements. The European clubs get a set amount of money for the players under contract who get signed by a NHL team and get nothing for prospects not under contract.

The Swiss NL league is independent, and it pays the most so it’s financial resources likely make it less beholden to the payoffs that gets the NHL the transfer agreement, but they did have separate one year transfer agreement with the NHL in 2020-21. Again, I don’t know what’s happening there next but I’m not super concerned since it only effects Baumgartner.

I consider Pylik a strong prospect and I’m not worried at all about Pytlik’s contract length with Liiga but if other people want to freak out over it they are welcome to and I won’t debate this issue because I’d rather drink bleach than get into weeds with this. The odds for getting signed differ for all the various European prospects depending on position, age and how they developed though.

With the KHL players Fitz already said he’s going to be pretty aggressive with getting Muk over sooner than later (I forgot the exact quote). I’m a little bummed at the length of players like Misyul contracts but that’s par for the course with a lot of KHL players. KHL players have come over and fit right in the NHL pretty quickly and the KHL rinks are actually close to the size of NHL rinks.

It’s always fun to read your stuff but you give us way too much of your time.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It’s always fun to read your stuff but you give us way too much of your time.
There’s probably too much truth in this comment, sadly, but Steve makes me feel better. And the new Utica guy is spending time getting into the weeds himself, I do appreciate it, as others do. I just semi-argue about everything, mostly out of love. (And 10% out of testiness, max.)

And I can look up stuff pretty fast too. That’s what I tell myself at least.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Panarin (F)- 24
Kaprizov (F) - 23
Kubalik (F) - 24
Olofsson (F) - 23
Donskoi (F) - 23
Jarnkrok (F) - 22
Mikheyev (F) - 25
Ruotsalainen (F) - 23
Asplund (F) - 22
Zaitsev (D) - 25
Zub (D) - 25
Gavrikov (D) - 24
Nutivaara (D) - 22
Lyubushkin (D) - 24
Hakanpaa (D) - 27
Leskinen (D) -22
Mikkola (D) - 23
Lehtonen (D) - 27

Some KHL players come over and fit in pretty quickly. Another large number never come over to begin with or come over and go back after a season or 2 because they don't get the ice they deserve and/or are not placed in the top pairings where they believe they belong. Tryamkin in Vancouver is a current example. Some teams have decided against the Russians at the draft because they can' t be sure they will get them over here. They also don't want to lose some of their prime years in another league. The KHL doesn't let their guys out of contract negotiations and tries their best to rope them into contracts so they can't leave. The management of the KHL teams is also known to not give them steady ice time so their numbers don't impress the western world. This was the case with Vasili Podkolzin, a 2019 Vancouver 1st rounder. They scratched him, gave him few minutes of ice time when played, and sent him to the VHL and MHL which would create the impression that he wasn't playing well enough to be in the KHL.

The best plan with a Russian is to get the kid to Canada for his Jr time, draft him out of Jrs, and keep him out of KHL contracts, e.g. these players under contract to Tampa Bay: Kucherov, Sergachyov, Kolyachonok, and Lipanov. Abramov and Der-Arguchintsev under contract to the Leafs playing with the Marlies. You can check out the rosters of other NHL teams and see the same. Once these players get under the control of the KHL it's much harder to get them over here. Until Benning came on the scene, Vancouver had decided for quite some time not to draft Russians period.

There is always a risk with a European. The NA kid doesn't turn down his opportunity to get that NHL ELC.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Part IV. The Defensemen

New Jersey fixtures;
1 P.K. Subban - Last year of his 8-yr contract and will be 32. Wouldn't be surprised if it's his last. He wouldn't be around for the team's core push for big things. I think they would trade him if someone was crazy enough to want that $8 mil. Since that's unlikely, the Devils will carry him this season. His offensive output was 19Pts/44 GP for a .43 PPG. Might see the Devils try to get a top draft pick for him at the TDL.

2 Damon Severson - 5th year of a 6-yr contract. He put up 21Pts/56 GP. He reduced his +/- from -20in '19-20 to -8 this past season. It's not all that indicative, but improvement is improvement any way you can get it. At 27 his next contract should be his big paycheck. Not sure if the Devils consider him foundational to their D-corps and that would dictate what they want to do with that UFA contract.

3 Will Butcher - Last of a 3-yr contract. He is 26 and will be up for his big payday at the end of the coming season. I think they will negotiate and what he's asking vs what they are offering will determine his future with the Devils. He put up 11Pts/23 GP for a .48 PPG. He's never been a minor leaguer and is a career .45 PPG. I think he gets re-signed.

4 Ty Smith - Ty at 21 will be playing the 2nd of his 3-yr ELC. His rookie season saw him play 48 games and record 23Pts for a .48 PPG. It would have tio be said he had a good rookie season in pro hockey.

5 Jonas Siegenthaler (RFA) - Jonas was under contract to Washington for 4 seasons. He played 131 games with the caps and put up 13 points and .099 PPG. They were not impressed and traded him to NJ during this past season. He played 7 games with the Caps and 8 with the devils and recorded 0Pts.
Giving this 24 yr-old a QO would be shocking to me. There will be better depth defenders on waivers before the season gets underway.

The last 3 are UFAs.
6 Ryan Murray - This 27/yr-old former first round pick and 6 year player with the Columbus Blue Jackets is the best of the trio. He recorded 14Pts/48GP for a .29 PPG for the Devils. I'm not sure the Devils are willing to give him his last big payday. Not really sure any NHL team would be willing to do so. He's a question mark.

7 Connor Carrick - This 27 yr-old has played in 3 organizations and played 2 full seasons in the NHL with the Toronto Maple Leafs-n '16-17 and '17-18. The resat of the time he has been an AHL/NHL tweener as he was with NJ this year with the NHL on the high end. This season he put up 2Pts/11GP with the Devs and 6Pts/13GP in Bingo. As a UFA I'd think he would test the water. If he can get more than NJ is offering he will take it. He is going to be looking for a 1-way and would be a good AHL support/mentor for the young D. I don't think management is looking to make him a part of the New Jersey D-corps.

8 Matt Tennyson - This undrafted 31 yr-old has been a journeyman tweener for 4 NHL franchises during his 9 year pro career. He has no real future with NJ. He's not a big point producer at either level. His future here seems to depend upon his willingness to sign another 2-awy and probably for less then $350k he had on the AHL end this past season.

In short this is not a real good NHL D-corps. I have to believe that NJ is going to try and make some kind of improvement there and the #4 draft pick could be that first step. There are 2 guys ranked very high by all the experts who are likely to be on the list of availables when Jersey selects and both have brothers in the Devils organization. Luke Hughes is the brother of New Jersey's Jack and Brandt Clarke's brother Graeme had a good rookie season with the Binghamton Devils. The labeled best D-prospect in the draft is Owen Power and it's thought he will to be the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. Both Clarke and Hughes will only be 18 for the largest part of the upcoming season. Hughes is already committed to NCAA U of Michigan and Clarke will be back with Barrie in the OHL. Hughes could come out of Michigan at 19 but Clarke will have to wait until 20. Either way neither will be in Newark right away, but the one they select will be there as soon as possible and it might include an AHL season first as well.

I'm not sure the first upgrade is currently in the AHL just yet. There are 3 2nd round selections and and 2 2nd rounders down there now, but none of that bunch is screaming NHL material at this moment. Promise but not immediate help. The AHL is for development and that's where these guys are at the moment. What these guys need are a couple of really sound NHL/AHL experienced tweeners to help these guys develop their potential.

That means the Devils will likely try and improve the back end this off season through free agency or a trade.

The AHL prospects to follow in Part V.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Interesting and thorough read but I take a bit of an exception with your take on the European players particularly the Russians; for two reasons.

The first one is purely economical. The most obvious examples are Artemi Panarin and likely rookie of the year Kirill Kaprizov. Both players made far more money playing in the KHL then they would have "developing" in the AHL (and the emphasis on development varies widely depending on the particular franchise). The KHL season also starts in August so it is not shorter than the North American seasons.

The other aspect you fail to consider is that many Canadian and American players also opt to head to Europe for larger contracts rather than playing on AHL salaries.

Finally, the biggest factor you discount is for decades drafting European players has been an economic move for the NHL clubs, who basically get to have someone else paying their players with no obligation to sign them.

Much like with college players, clubs spent decades drafting players from Europe that they never signed.
Here's a look at part III of the forwards -

There are a few NJ drafted players left off the 2 lists above. Let's see who they are.

1 Brandon Gignac (RFA) - Finished up his ELC which actually came after a bonus season with Bingo in 2017-18 before he signed his ELC in 2018-19.
That first season was terrible with only 3Pts in 21 GP.

The 2016 round 3 NJ selection's first ELC season saw him get one game with the Devils and play 66 games in Binghamton where he recorded 36 Pts. That's a good AHL season for a rookie.

Season 2 he had 14 Pts in 36 GP, but suffered an injury.

Season 3, this past season, he played 2 games with Binghamton and was then relegated to the ECHL Jacksonville Icemen. He made the best of a bad situation by putting up 27Pts in 33 GP.

Some here with more knowledge of this kid than me say the Devils won't offer him a QO. His AHL #s prior to injury were basically .5PPG over the first 2 seasons of his ELC. That's much better than several of the prospects who were in Binghamton this season.He is 23 yrs-old and has reached RFA status.

2.Brett Seney (UFA) - 25 yr-old Brett was a 2015 round 6 selection by NJ. He has only played 3 pro seasons with this his 1st after his 2-Yr ELC ran out. Jersey paid him $250k on the AHL end of the contract. His 3 years have seen him produce at a .63 PPG level in his 129 GP. Combined with his 53 NHL GP he is still well below the AHL's number of games played to make him even a veteran exempt.

3 A.J. Greer (UFA) - A.J. was a 2nd round selection of the Avalanche and played 4 seasons in the Colorado organization where he put up big #s in his final 2 AHL seasons. He was traded to the Islanders and subsequently traded to the Devils in the Palmieri/Zajac trade in yr 5. He was assigned to Binghamton and recorded 14Pts in 16 GP. His AHL #s in the last 3 seasons are very good.

The fact he is starting his 6th season may determine NJ's decision to offer him a contract or just let him walk. That might depend upon what his agent says he can get for him on the open market. He was paid $100K this season. He is just barely over the limit in the # of pro games played to assign him veteran exempt status. However, a team can play with a VE player and still have 5 actual veteran status players on the game day roster. This probably depends upon whether they think he just might be a good fit with some young Comets prospects in giving them an experienced linemate to help them along with their pro development.

4 Mason Jobst (UFA) - 27 yr-old Mason is the other player half the Devils received in the Palmieri/Zajac deal. While he is 27, this will only be his 3rd professional season after playing 4 seasons at NCAA Ohio State U. He split his 2nd season, this past season split between AHL Bridgeport and AHL Binghamton. In his 12 games with Binghamton he recorded 8 Pts. He was only paid $70K and is unlikely to get more than an NHL minimum 2-way from anyone.

I get the feeling that having just been acquired in a trade and showing some good success, both of these last 2 guys, even though free agents, might be offered a deal and it will be up to them to decide if it's enough to entice them to stay.

5 Ben Street (UFA) - The never drafted, 34 yr-old Street would be entering his 12th professional season with his 7th NHL franchise. He has basically been a career AHL player having played 523 games there to go along with a meager 38 NHL contests. He has been a mentor to many NHL hopefuls while putting up 439 AHL Pts for a .83 PPG avg. The knock here may be a very simple one---- AGE. His legs are not equal to the young, early 2o yr-olds that will dominate the Comets roster. So unless the young prospects are slow or he centers a veteran #1 line that would set the example for the kids, he probably doesn't fit on this roster. His veteran spot would be better served by a younger pair of experienced legs.

Tyler Irvine - Tyler signed an AHL contract with Binghamton this season after having played 4 seasons at NCAA Merrimac College. While he served as their captain in his senior year, he was never a big scorer. That fact was even clearer in his 25 games with Bingo. He recorded a scant 4 Pts. Unless Binghamton see the need to sign him up for eventual depth, I'd say he's seen his last of this organization.

The Devils have another group of drafted players signed and playing with European teams. I've always frowned upon players signed with European teams and playing at home instead of making the trek to NA where their supposed dream of the NHL lies. They make more money at home on the bigger ice surfaces in much softer leagues (physically that is). This especially true of the Russians. I refer to it as the Russian principle.

These players Russian, Swedish, and Finnish players in particular come over to NA for the early preseason camps. They weigh their prospective positions for the coming season with the players in camp with them and if they are not major NHL candidates, they go back home instead of heading to the AHL with all of the Canadian and American kids to play together and learn the systems that will be part of their futures and learn to play the more physical, closer checking North American pro game on the smaller North American rinks. The Canadian/American kids labor away with much smaller paychecks and try to earn their way to the show. The European kids come back the next year and many of them follow the exact same pattern. NHL or back home. Some never come over to begin with. Several years later we see the NHLK team trading their rights or simply moving on as if they never existed. With a late round selection so be it, but with higher picks it was a waste of what might have been with a NA selection.

1 Nikita Popugaev (Russia)- Drafted in the 2017 NHL 4th round. He will turn 23 in November of this coming season. A NA kid would be entering the 3rd year of his ELC and for some it would be on an RFA contract. Others would have played in the AHL and earned their way to the NHL by this season. Nikita is signed once again in the KHL. His contract expires after the 22-23 season. He would start 23-24 at 25.

2 Yegor Zaitsev (Russia)- Drafted in the 2017 NHL 7th round. Yegor is already 23 and once again signed to play another season in the KHL and the contract expires after 22-23. He would also start 23-24 at 25.

3 Eetu Pakkila (Finland)- Eetu, a 2018 7th round selection, will turn 22 at the start of this season. It would be the 3rd and final yr of a NA kid's ELC. His contract expires after the 23-24 season. He'll be 24.

4 Daniil Misyul (Russia/Belarus) - Daniil, a 2019 3rd round selection, starts this season about to turn 21 which would be season 2 for the expectant prospect. His current contract expires after 22-23. 23 when he starts the 23-24.

5 Arseni Gritsyuk (Russia) - Drafted in the 2019 5th round Arseni will be 20 when the season starts. He is signed to play in the KHL this season. His contract expires after '22-23. He would only be 22 when '23-24 starts if he doesn't sign another contract.

6 Nikola Pasic (Sweden) - Drafted in the 2019 7th round Nikola will be 20 at the start of the season. His contract expires after '22-23. He starts the '23-24 season at 22.

They all arrive at the earliest after the NA kids not in the NHL will have finished their ELCs laboring away to learn their trade in long grueling 76 game seasons which could be extended by as many as 28 more games should they be fortunate to make the Calder Cup Playoffs and go four 7-game series.
The European kids will have played much shorter less trying seasons and learned nothing of the NA game. This doesn't usually mean a whole lot to the blue chip can't miss type players from any nation, but the kids we are talking about here are not those kids or they would already be NHL regulars and some for a few seasons already.

My experience with these guys is that if they don't arrive shortly after 20 years of age and mix in with the rest of the prospects they don't make it. The really good ones don't opt to stay home. They get over here as quickly as possible and amke their mark early.

The 2020 Europeans are 1st round selection Shamir Mukhamadulin and 4th rounder Jaromir Pytlik.

Shamir, 19, has one year left on a KHL contract and is said to be on his way to NA when that season ends. That's how a 1st round Jr would be coming along.

Pytlik, will be 20 when the season starts and his contract obligations extend through 22-23. That means he comes to NA at 22. Most drafted NA kids starting this season at 20 would be in the AHL and be entering the 3rd year of their ELC when Pytlik first arrives.

NEXT UP THE DEFENSE

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Part V.

Here's a list of the prospects. I think these guys still need some cooking.

1 Reilly Walsh (22) - Rd 3 selection, 14Pts/31 GP/.45 PPG in Binghamton.

2 Michael Vukojevic (20) - Rd 3 selection, 9Pts/24 GP/.375 PPG in Binghamton.

3 Nikita Okhotyuk (20) - Rd 2 selection, 5Pts/26 GP/.19 PPG in Binghamton.

4 Kevin Bahl (21) - Rd 2 selection (Arizona), 5Pts.26 GP/.19 PPG in Binghamton. 2Pts/7GP/.28 PPG in NJ.

5 Jeremy Groleau (21) - UNDRAFTED, 0Pts/20 GP in Binghamton.

RFA
6 Colton White (24) - Rd 4 selection, 7Pts/25 GP/.28 PPG in Binghamton. 0Pts/2 GP in NJ. This would be his 5th season. It's unlikely he's going to become an NHL player. He's also not the experienced, really good defender with an offensive side that the kids need to aid them in their development by modeling the way to play the game. This player would also serve as an on ice coach and mentor for his young partner.

RFA
6 Davids Quenneville (23) - Rd 7 selection of the NY Islanders. He just completed his ELC and spent the 3rd and final season in ECHL Rapid City. He hasn't even managed to be a 7/8 AHL defender. He seems to be going the way of many of the 7th rounders. They finish their ELCs and are not offered a QO. I'd guess that would be the case here.

RFA
7 Colby Sissons (23) - UNDRAFTED - Colby has already done New Jersey's job for them. He didn't wait around for the axe to fall. He has already signed a '21-22 contract in the Allsevenskan, Sweden's version of the AHL.

UFA G6
8 Josh Jacobs (25) - Rd 2 selection, 3Pts/17 GP/.17 PPG in Binghamton. This would be his 5th season if the Devils should decide to try an re-sign him. He has never been an offensive threat. I'm not familiar with his defensive game. I must have seen him, but the fact that I have not noticed him would usually mean either he simply did his job or wasn't deployed as atop 4 defender.

9 Matt Hellickson (23) - Rd 7 selection that has not been signed. He completed his NCAA career at Notre Dame in April and was signed to an AHL contract by Binghamton. He played 5 games and was pointless. Unless NJ wants to hand out one of their 50 contracts to him he is out of the picture. Of course Binghamton can always sign him to an AHL contract and keep him for depth even assigning him to Adirondack to get playing time.

Looking at this group I'd say players 1-5, all under contract, will be in Utica. I don't see one of these guys bursting onto the scene in camp and ending up on the Devils opening day roaster.

Sissons is gone and I'd put Quenneville in the same boat.

White has some credentials to make him okay, but if you were to consider the value of the 50 contracts I have to question why White or Jacobs are sound usage of those the contracts. Normally you would hand out those deals to guys who could really help the prospects and i don't see either as prime examples of that kind of player.

Both the Devils and the Comets are each in need of a couple guys that boost their D-corps. In addition, the Devils would be well advised to place at least one sound defender in the AHL who could serve a dual role as top mentor to the prospects and #1 on the call-up list in case of injury in Newark. He would become #2 if the Devils acquire 1 or 2 dependable NHL defenders in the off season and as a result send down one or 2 of their youngsters for extra work. That would give the Comets a boost to their D-corps while stocking the cupboard for the parent Devils. An additional vet for the Comets would still be necessary.

Utica would have the top 4 off the list above, the last defender sent down by NJ, and the #1 vet. Groleau and the newly acquired 2nd experienced defender would be the top 2 depth defenders.
If the Devils were to decide White fits in their somewhere so be it. If they were to decide both White and Jacobs join the top 5 above, the Comets D-corps would remain just as weak as it was this past short season. There would also be little down here to serve as as adequate fill-ins for the Devils.
We all know injuries will happen at both levels. Every franchise usually tries their best to prepare for that inevitability and the chips are left to fall where they may if the injuries outnumber the preparation plans.

Next up, a summary of the possible rosters with the personnel currently on board.
Part VI. (Please chime in if you see any flaws or outright blunders with my selections.)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Part VI.

NJ Devils

Forwards:
(listed by PPG)
Zacha - .7, 1st Rd/#1

Bratt - .65, 6th Rd/#162 > Incredibly impressive!

Sharangovich (RFA) -.56, 5th Rd/#141

Hughes - .55, 1st Rd/#1

Hischier - .52, 1st Rd/#1

Kuokkanen (RFA) - .5, 2nd Rd/#43> Carolina

Wood - .45, 4th Rd/#100

Merkley (RFA) - .37, 1st Rd #30> Arizona

McLeod (RFA) - .29, 1st Rd/#12

Maltsev - .27, Rd 4/#102

Bastian (RFA) - .25, 2nd Rd/#41

Boqvist - .25/, 2nd Rd/#36

Johnsson - .22, 7th Rd/#202

7 of the 13 (Hughes, Boqvist, McLeod, Kuokkanen, Maltsev, Sharangovich, and Bastian) were on some level of their ELCs.

Johnson will be 27 in November and Wood is 26. The rest are all 24 or younger. This is a very young group of forwards. Johnsson may be the most vulnerable due to two factors, age and lowest PPG numbers of the bunch.

Mercer and Holtz, 2 more 1st Rd selections, are the 2 not yet in Newark who will be pushing for a spot in October with Mercer on the inside track IMO. Don't count Foote, a Tampa Bay 1st Rd selection, out of the picture either as he was the most productive guy in Binghamton at age 20. Any one of these guys making the Devils roster sends one of the above 13 to Utica. More than 1 makes it? You can do the math. LOL

So what was in Binghamton this past season?
Again listed in order of their PPG.

1 Foote (20 will turn 21) - .73, 1st Rd/#27> Tampa Bay - 6GP/NJ, .33

2 Zetterlund (22) - .58, 3rd Rd/#63

3 Clarke (20) - .57, 3rd Rd/#80

4 Schnarr (22) - .5, 3rd Rd/#75> Arizona

5 Thompson (21) - .38, 4th Rd/#96 - 7GP NJ/.14

RFA22
6 Studenic (22 will turn 23) - .32, 5th Rd/#143 - 8GP NJ/.25

7 Talvitie (22) - .19, 6th Rd/#160

RFA
8 Gignac (23) - 3rd Rd/#80

These were the main prospects on hand in Binghamton for the majority of the season.
Gignac was 23 and is the most likely forward not to get a QO since his 4th season was spent in the ECHL. NJ would have to sign him for a 5th season.
Studenic was 22 and will be 23 for the next season. He finished the season on NJ's taxi squad.

I think there is no doubt Studenic gets re-signed. Thus, 7
of the 8 will be in the fold this coming season.

2 more 1st round selections will join the fray:
Dawson Mercer (20) - 1st Rd/#18

Alexander Holtz (19) - 1st Rd/#7

Mercer was a Jr and was 1.5 PPG, 1PPG in the WJC-20, and 2PPG in the QMJHL playoffs. He is a super 2-way player. He will challenge the lesser half of last seasons Devils forwards for a spot on the big club.

Holtz came over late and put up 3Pts in 8 GP with Binghamton. The experts say he is good enough to challenge for a spot on the Devils as a rookie.

Both of these guys have the stuff that could land them in Newark, but either way they play in Utica or send a top replacement back in their stead.

Word has it that the Devils need experienced center help now and the kids who didn't cut it just yet will be sent to Utica to sharpen their game.

Again any way you cut it the arrival of Holtz and Mercer would mean 2 very good top 6 guys will be in Utica that were not in Binghamton this past season. Foote could cause the same kind of good fortune. It's either him or the guy he chases down in Utica. Holz and Mercer are both RWs and Foote is a LW. That would be 3 of the top 4 wingers. Most of the NJ and Binghamton forwards are listed as centers and at least one wing or the other. There will be quite a juggling act as the forwards are all mixed in and 8 wings and 4 centers have to come out of the pack to get the top 4 lines.

There are not enough players to create those spots. I count 9. So, more will have to be added. This is where Devils management has to acquire the right mix of veteran or at least proven experienced players to supplement and assist the the young guns in developing their skills to a higher level. The AHL teams normally carry at least 14-15 forwards and assign a few more to the ECHL to serve as a life line if the numbers are reduced below the healthy limit due to in house injuries, call-ups, or worst of all both.

There are 4 UFA forwards that played in Binghamton last season.

Ben Street put up a PPG, but only played 14 games. He is getting long in the tooth at 34 and may not be the best choice to re-up. His legs might not be able to keep up with the upstart kids. Don't think you sign him to be 3rd or 4th line center. That's where you work kids you want to develop with an experienced forward and a guy late in his ELC.

Mason Jobst was just acquired from the Isles'. He put up 6Pts in 12GP with Bingo. He's only 27, but again is not the they type you sign to center your top prospects. Merkley at 24 might be one of those types. There will plenty of good ones early in the UFA market. Some of you know better than me who the Devils have actually been working to develop into pro centers.

AJ Greer was in the picture this past season as well and actually put up the best numbers of all the forwards with 14Pts/16 GP. Maybe he is the experienced AHL forward

There could be room for Seney as well, but I am actually trying to stuff guys into spots I'm not sure they can occupy.

The point with these guys is they were signed to NJ contracts.

There were also the AHL contracts:
Ben Thomson - Split time with Bingo and ECHL Orlando.
Cam Darcy, 27, is a plug center. I'm familiar with him from 2 seasons in Utica where he couldn't cut it with the better forwards.
Miles Koules put 2 Pts in 12 GP with Bingo. Must not have been that good to only get 12 games.

Ryan Schmelzer put up 7Pts in 15 GP as a center. E-h-h-h.

Danick Martel recorded 14Pts in 24 GP. That's the kind of AHL veteran experienced wing to anchor a line with a developing center like Schnarr and a good young forward. He's only a VE by AHL rules meaning he can play and the Comets could still dress 5 veterans for a game.

The Defense
NJ -
I already detailed the top defenders under contract:
Subban
Severson
Butcher
Smith

I think they will try to re-sign UFA Murray

After that Siegenthaler is an RFA who recorded 1 Pt with Wash. in 7 GP and 0 in 8 GP with NJ.
Tennyson and Carrick are UFAs that were on Emergency loans and split time with Binghamton and NJ this past season. They are not worth a whole bunch on the open market.
NJ needs to acquire some NHL quality defenders to bide some time while the young'uns develop. There are not any in the AHL ready to step into NHL roles at this point.

Utica -
Walsh (22) - 3rd Rd/#81
Vukojevic (20) - 3rd Rd/#82
Okhotyuk (20 and will turn 21) - 2nd Rd/#61
Bahl (21) - 2nd Rd/#55> Ariz
Jeremy Groleau (21 will turn 22) - Undrafted

These guys are all under contract. The last 4 on the list were terrible from an offensive standpoint with an avg of .14 PPG.

Jacobs (25) (UFA G6)- 2nd Rd/#41 He will be entering his 6th pro season and hasn't impressed point wise in any of the 5 previous. He's not the kind of guy you'd use to mentor young prospects. He has enough trouble just trying to do his own job.

Colton White is 24 yr-old RFA and will be entering his 5th pro season.

The Comets need 2 experienced Defenders to anchor down this very young D-corps. It would basically be his 5th AHL season and he has yet to earn a 1-way contract. I don't see him as half of that AHL/NHL tweener, sound defensive D-pair that can mentor the kids Jersey is trying to develop here. He isn't that sound himself. I' seen some posts where people are saying it's time to move on from Colton.

In Goal we ave Mackenzie Blackwood in NJ and Nico Daws in Utica. The guys that NJ had trying to hold down an NHL backup spot and establish themselves as AHL keepers did not accomplish their goals. Hence the Devils need to find a dependable backup in NJ and then find a journeyman goalie that can share the duties with Daws as well as be available to fill in at the NHL level. Meaning they have to find another guy to stash in the ECHL to ride the roller coaster back and forth between Adirondack and Utica if someone in Utica gets hurt or gets called up to NJ.

Now we also know none of this could be set in stone anyways This is just a basic look at both rosters before the expansion draft eats up one player, possible free agency signings, possible trades, players not re-signed, and possible waiver acquisitions before the AHL camp even opens.

Being a die hard follower of the home town Comets, I had to try to find out as much as I could about the personnel under contract to the Devils and who might be coming down the pipe. This was my take on what I found. I welcome as many discussions on the players under contract and where and why you think they will end up. What you see as the prognosis for this AHL season and the future of both the Devils and the Comets. I will be around as long as the Comets are affiliated with the Devils. Hope you don't get sick of me. I will be heavy into the goings on with both teams and will be posting in both the Utica page and the Devils pages once thing get going.

Hope to have many interactions with any of you that can at least hunt and peck. LOL

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Part VI.

NJ Devils

Forwards:
(listed by PPG)
Zacha - .7, 1st Rd/#1

Hughes - .55, 1st Rd/#1

Wood - .45, 4th Rd/#100

Maltsev - .27, Rd 4/#102

7 of the 13 (Hughes, Boqvist, McLeod, Kuokkanen, Maltsev, Sharangovich, and Bastian) were on some level of their ELCs.

Johnson will be 27 in November and Wood is 26. The rest are all 24 or younger. This is a very young group of forwards. Johnsson may be the most vulnerable due to two factors, age and lowest PPG numbers of the bunch.

Mercer and Holtz, 2 more 1st Rd selections, are the 2 not yet in Newark who will be pushing for a spot in October with Mercer on the inside track IMO. Don't count Foote, a Tampa Bay 1st Rd selection, out of the picture either as he was the most productive guy in Binghamton at age 20. Any one of these guys making the Devils roster sends one of the above 13 to Utica. More than 1 makes it? You can do the math. LOL

RFA22

6 Talvitie (22) - .19, 6th Rd/#160

RFA
7 Gignac (23) - 3rd Rd/#80

These were the main prospects on hand in Binghamton for the majority of the season.
Gignac was 23 and is the most likely forward not to get a QO since his 4th season was spent in the ECHL. NJ would have to sign him for a 5th season.
Studenic was 22 and will be 23 for the next season. He finished the season on NJ's taxi squad.

I think there is no doubt Studenic gets re-signed. Thus, 6 of the 7 will be in the fold this coming season.

2 more 1st round selections will joint the fray:

Mercer was a Jr and was 1.5 PPG, 1PPG in the WJC-20, and 2PPG in the QMJHL playoffs. He is a super 2-way player. He will challenge the lesser half of last seasons Devils forwards for a spot on the big club.

Holtz came over late and put up 3Pts in 8 GP with Binghamton. The experts say he is good enough to challenge for a spot on the Devils as a rookie.

Both of these guys have the stuff that could land them in Newark, but either way they play in Utica or send a top replacement back in their stead.

Word has it that the Devils need experienced center help now and the kids who didn't cut it just yet will be sent to Utica to sharpen their game.

Again any way you cut it the arrival of Holtz and Mercer would mean 2 very good top 6 guys will be in Utica that were not in Binghamton this past season. Foote could cause the same kind of good fortune. It's either him or the guy he chases down in Utica. Holz and Mercer are both RWs and Foote is a LW. That would be 3 of the top 4 wingers. Most of the NJ and Binghamton forwards are listed as centers and at least one wing or the other. There will be quite a juggling act as the forwards are all mixed in and 8 wings and 4 centers have to come out of the pack to get the top 4 lines.

There are not enough players to create those spots. I count 8. So, more will have to be added. This is where Devils management has to acquire the right mix of veteran or at least proven experienced players to supplement and assist the the young guns in developing their skills to a higher level. The AHL teams normally carry at least 14-15 forwards and assign a few more to the ECHL to serve as a life line if the numbers are reduced below the healthy limit due to in house injuries, call-ups, or worst of all both.

Ben Street put up a PPG, but only played 14 games. He is getting long in the tooth at 34 and may not be the best choice to re-up. His legs might not be able to keep up with the upstart kids. Don't think you sign him to be 3rd or 4th line center. That's where you work kids you want to develop with an experienced forward and a guy late in his ELC.

Mason Jobst was just acquired from the Isles'. He put up 6Pts in 12GP with Bingo. He's only 27, but again is not the they type you sign to center your top prospects. Merkley at 24 might be one of those types. There will plenty of good ones early in the UFA market. Some of you know better than me who the Devils have actually been working to develop into pro centers.

AJ Greer was in the picture this past season as well

There could be room for Seney as well, but I am actually trying to stuff guys into spots I'm not sure they can occupy.

Cam Darcy, 27, is a plug center. I'm familiar with him from 2 seasons in Utica where he couldn't cut it with the better forwards.
Miles Koules put 2 Pts in 12 GP with Bingo. Must not have been that good to only get 12 games.

Danick Martel recorded 14Pts in 24 GP. That's the kind of AHL veteran experienced wing to anchor a line with a developing center like Schnarr and a good young forward. He's only a VE by AHL rules meaning he can play and the Comets could still dress 5 veterans for a game.

The Defense
NJ -
Subban
Severson
Butcher
Smith

After that Siegenthaler is an RFA who recorded 1 Pt with Wash. in 7 GP and 0 in 8 GP with NJ.
Tennyson and Carrick are UFAs that were on Emergency loans and split time with Binghamton and NJ this past season. They are not worth a whole bunch on the open market.
NJ needs to acquire some NHL quality defenders to bide some time while the young'uns develop. There are not any in the AHL ready to step to NHL roles at this point.

Utica -
Walsh (22) - 3rd Rd/#81
Jacobs (25) - 2nd Rd/#41

These guys are all under contract. The last 4 on the list were terrible from an offensive standpoint with an avg of .14 PPG.

Colton White is 24 yr-old RFA and will be entering his 5th pro season. He

The Comets need 2 experienced Defenders to anchor down this very young D-corps. It would basically be his 5th AHL season and he has yet to earn a 1-way contract. I don't see him as half of that AHL/NHL tweener, sound defensive D-pair that can mentor the kids Jersey is trying to develop here. He isn't that sound himself. I' seen some posts where people are saying it's time to move on from Colton.

In Goal we ave Mackenzie Blackwood in NJ and Nico Daws in Utica. The guys that the NJ had trying to hold down an NHL backup spot and establish themselves as AHL keepers did not accomplish their goals. Hence the Devils need to find a dependable backup in NJ and then find a journeyman goalie that can share the duties with Daws as well as be available to fill in at the NHL level. Meaning they have to find another guy to stash in the ECHL to ride the roller coaster back and forth between Adirondack and Utica if someone in Utica gets hurt or gets called up to NJ.

Now we also know none of this could be set in stone anyways This is just a basic look at both rosters before the expansion draft eats up one player, possible free agency signings, possible trades, players not re-signed, and possible waiver acquisitions before the AHL camp even opens.

Being a die hard follower of the home town Comets, I had to try to find out as much as I could about the personnel under contract to the Devils and who might be coming down the pipe. This was my take on what I found. I welcome as many discussions on the players under contract and where and why you think they will end up. What you see as the prognosis for this AHL season and the future of both the Devils and the Comets. I will be around as long as the Comets are affiliated with the Devils. Hope you don't get sick of me. I will be heavy into the goings on with both teams and will be posting in both the Utica page and the Devils pages once thing get going.

Hope to have many interactions with any of you that can at least hunt and peck. LOL

Didn’t the team sign Akita Schmid to play goal? He’d likely start in the ECHL and try to work his way up.

Reactions: Darkauron

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Part VI.

NJ Devils

Forwards:
(listed by PPG)
Zacha - .7, 1st Rd/#1

Hughes - .55, 1st Rd/#1

Wood - .45, 4th Rd/#100

Maltsev - .27, Rd 4/#102

RFA22

6 Talvitie (22) - .19, 6th Rd/#160

RFA
7 Gignac (23) - 3rd Rd/#80

I think there is no doubt Studenic gets re-signed. Thus, 6 of the 7 will be in the fold this coming season.

2 more 1st round selections will joint the fray:

There are not enough players to create those spots. I count 8. So, more will have to be added. This is where Devils management has to acquire the right mix of veteran or at least proven experienced players to supplement and assist the the young guns in developing their skills to a higher level. The AHL teams normally carry at least 14-15 forwards and assign a few more to the ECHL to serve as a life line if the numbers are reduced below the healthy limit due to in house injuries, call-ups, or worst of all both.

AJ Greer was in the picture this past season as well

The Defense
NJ -
Subban
Severson
Butcher
Smith

NJ needs to acquire some NHL quality defenders to bide some time while the young'uns develop. There are not any in the AHL ready to step to NHL roles at this point.

Utica -
Walsh (22) - 3rd Rd/#81
Jacobs (25) - 2nd Rd/#41

Colton White is 24 yr-old RFA and will be entering his 5th pro season. He

In Goal we ave Mackenzie Blackwood in NJ and Nico Daws in Utica. The guys that the NJ had trying to hold down an NHL backup spot and establish themselves as AHL keepers did not accomplish their goals. Hence the Devils need to find a dependable backup in NJ and then find a journeyman goalie that can share the duties with Daws as well as be available to fill in at the NHL level. Meaning they have to find another guy to stash in the ECHL to ride the roller coaster back and forth between Adirondack and Utica if someone in Utica gets hurt or gets called up to NJ.

Ben Thomson was in Orlando because the AHL season hadn't started. He was loaned to Binghamton on a PTO on 2/01 (and signed 2/18) shortly after Martel 1/09, St. Denis 1/09, Darcy 1/12, and Irvine 1/13 before the season began on 2/08. Once he arrived in Binghamton he never went back to Orlando, so I'm not sure he really "split" this season between the two. If anything he got ECHL playing time in before the AHL season started.

Schmelzer, like Street was injured. He may be Street's replacement at 'C', if Street doesn't return. I'd like to see another vet UFA, maybe even a D get the 'C' if Street doesn't make it to Utica.

Koules, like RW Tyler Irvine and G Mareks Mitens, was on a PTO.

Jacobs is not under contract, he is a G6 UFA. The only reason to re-sign him is if no other vet RD can be found in FA.

For the other G:

Gilles Senn has signed in Switzerland.

Evan Cormier may be signed to fulfill the G expansion draft requirement only not to be selected which means he could be in Adirondack with Akira Schmid. Another possibility would be to loan Cormier to another ECHL club besides Adirondack.

UFA Jeremy Brodeur could also be looking at an ECHL loan or Europe. Same with Mitens.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Didn’t the team sign Akita Schmid to play goal? He’d likely start in the ECHL and try to work his way up.

Akira will be placed somewhere. Adirondack is a good guess. Akira just turned 21. Daws will turn 21 in December. He has a leg up Akira having spent a season in the DEL with men after completing his OHL career with the Guelph Storm while Akira was still playing in the USHL, putting up great #s mind you, but still playing in the USHL. However all of the past goes out the window with rookies this unproven in pro hockey.

The better of the 2 should be in Utica and the other in Adirondack. This give both of them a chance to get lots of game time. The other keeper in Utica HAS to be NHL capable in case of injury in NJ., This guy also gets the task of bringing the kid(s) along. He has to be a special kind of player who knows his future and accepts it willingly. He's not in Utica to beat out Daws for the starting job. He is in Utica to share the crease and push the kid to try and take over the job from him. If one kid fails, you bring in the other kid. if both turn out to be really bad the vet takes over and the kid(s) still keep working to get game time. It's the way I have seen it work for nearly 60 years and it's been working out super. Vancouver did it with Markstrom and then Demko. It was the only really good thing they did with prospects in Utica over an 8-yr span. Those 2 have risen to the top of the cream in the NHL. If it ain't broke, no reason to change it now.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Ben Thomson was in Orlando because the AHL season hadn't started. He was loaned to Binghamton on a PTO on 2/01 (and signed 2/18) shortly after Martel 1/09, St. Denis 1/09, Darcy 1/12, and Irvine 1/13 before the season began on 2/08. Once he arrived in Binghamton he never went back to Orlando, so I'm not sure he really "split" this season between the two. If anything he got ECHL playing time in before the AHL season started.

Schmelzer, like Street was injured. He may be Street's replacement at 'C', if Street doesn't return. I'd like to see another vet UFA, maybe even a D get the 'C' if Street doesn't make it to Utica.

Jacobs is not under contract, he is a G6 UFA. The only reason to re-sign him is if no other vet RD can be found in FA.

For the other G:

Evan Cormier may be signed to fulfill the G expansion draft requirement only not to be selected which means he could be in Adirondack with Akira Schmid. Another possibility would be to loan Cormier to another ECHL club besides Adirondack.

UFA Jeremy Brodeur could also be looking at an ECHL loan or Europe. Same with Mitens.

Like I said, the goalie picture in both NJ and Utica is up in the air beyond Blackwood. The Comets and the Devils need an adequate NHL backup and a seasoned keeper to work with the kid(s) in Utica that can also be an emergency call-up for NJ. I don't think they want to go through another season like last year with goalies that can't cut it.

I have also agreed with you on the need for a couple experienced forwards and one needs to be a top line center. The need for a couple of the same types on D is also important.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Like I said, the goalie picture in both NJ and Utica is up in the air beyond Blackwood. The Comets and the Devils need an adequate NHL backup and a seasoned keeper to work with the kid(s) in Utica that can also be an emergency call-up for NJ. I don't think they want to go through another season like last year with goalies that can't cut it.

I have also agreed with you on the need for a couple experienced forwards and one needs to be a top line center. The need for a couple of the same types on D is also important.
So Jon Gillies, Ashton Sautner, and Curtis MacKenzie. They can show the new guys around town.

Seriously, which NHL/AHL UFAs would you like to see Dan MacKinnon sign?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

For the other G:

I could've sworn I read that Cormier had signed in Davos.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So Jon Gillies, Ashton Sautner, and Curtis MacKenzie. They can show the new guys around town.

Seriously, which NHL/AHL UFAs would you like to see Dan MacKinnon sign?

Sautner is definitely a no no. He plays his best when paired with a good D-man. Kind of needs the sitter.

Curtis McKenzie has done a very good job with AHL Texas and Chicago over the previous 3 seasons, but last year with Utica he fell off to .5 PPG. His AHL numbers are 299Pts/381 GP./78 PPG. Those are very good numbers and if he could repeat those numbers I'd take him in a second. He's only 30 so he's by no means over the hill. He also has good size at 6'2"/205 Lbs and he's not afraid to tyhrow his weight around.

Jon Gillies was good with the Comets, but 5 GP is too small of a sample. He has put up good #s everywhere he's been, but I would like to see some NHL time on the resume. If he's going to be used as an emergency backup in NJ, that piece is kind of important.

NJ needs to be willing to grab one of the many current NHL backups who are on the way down for the mentor task in Utica.
Hell, the Devils sent Roland Melanson to the Utica Devils for 2 seasons, 1989-90 (48 GP) 1990-91 (54 GP). They were the last 2 seasons he played a major role on any team before 3 more years with extremely low number of games each season. He's the kind of guy I'm talking about NJ rooting out of the NHL for the task in Utica.
Incidentally Rollie was instrumental in the rebirth of Jacob Markstrom in Utica and Thatcher Demko's first coach in Utica. He jumped all over the mentor idea and carried it right into a goalie coaching career (10 of those years with Vancouver).

Louis Domingue could work, but I'd be going that route after striking out on the better, fading NHL types.

Utica used Richard Bachman in that role with Joe Cannata in 15-16 (35 GP), but more so with Thatcher Demko in 16-17 (27 GP) and 17-18 (31 GP). That would be an example of the Domingue type.

The center I'd be looking at would be along the lines of Cal O'Reilly, Carter Camper, Tanner Kero, Michael Chaput, Sam Anas, etc. Most of these guys are UFAs every season. They get signed early in the UFA chaos knowing they are going to be assigned to the AHL franchise. Some get a 1-way, but most get 2-ways with a few 100K in the AHL. They are worth a larger AHL salary compared to the avg. salary down there. They put up good #s, they usually have a top prospect or 2 on their line, play on the #1 PP, most importantly get pucks to their wings. If a kid is going to score goals, it will happen if he has someone who can deliver the puck. If he delivers and they don't score we may have uncovered a major flaw in a highly touted prospect. They just may be over hyped.
He's gone now, but one of the best in the business was TJ Hensick.

The wing would be a guy like Reid Boucher - had a 1-way, scored a near 1 PPG, but was never going to get a recall.
Dustin Jeffrey (64Pts/69 GP) in the one season he played with Utica.
Cory Conacher had 7 great AHL seasons on 2-way contracts with 6 NHL teams. One of the teams was Utica where he was acquired late in the 2014-15 season and put up 16Pts/20 GP with Utica and had put up 23Pts/28 GP with Bridgeport before the trade. I'm sure he was a pain in the butt to the Binghamton teams over those years. His last AHL season was with Syracuse before heading to Europe for his 2nd run there. He recorded 38Pts/44GP with the Crunch that season.

Utica always had at least one good experienced D-man.
14-15 Bobby Sanguinetti - 40Pts /61 GP - 14Pts/23 playoff games
Kent Huskins - Kent was brought on board in 2013-14 and helped a struggling team seetle down it's defense and was one of the AHL's top teams for the 2nd half of that season. It was not enough to overcome the near record disaster the team was in the first half of the season. Not known for his point totals, but a sure fire #1 defensive D-man. Was a vet of 9 NHL seasons and helped the Ducks win the Stanley Cup in 2007 playing in 21 games. He was the anchor of the Comets defense and the main man in guiding along the rest of the D.

15-16 Taylor Fedun - 33Pts/63 GP, was finally given a chance in the NHL by Dallas inn his 8th pro season and that was after also having played 4 yrs at NCAA Princeton. He held his own with Dallas and played 18 playoff games for them in 2 seasons.

16-17 Colby Robak

17-18 Patrick Wiercioch - 37Pts/58 GP
Philip Holm - 29Pts/42 GP

18-19 Jaime Sifers Not a lot of points (14/70GP) but a stay at home, journeyman defensive D-man with a whole lot to teach the prospects.
Dylan Blujus Another journeyman defensive D-man who got to pair up with Sautner to form the Comets top shutdown pair.

19-20 Blujus again, this time to pair up with whomever was having a tough time and they quickly woke up and got their game going. It was a very young D-corps that needed that benefited from his steady guidance.

NJ has every ability to pick these types up. They have the money for 1-yr contracts. They can easily not qualify some of their dead weight. Some of it has already opted out on their own already. They can be replaced with a few of these journeymen UFAs on 2-way contracts that will be of great help to the talented kids that will be in Utica this season.

The list of those guys is not yet available. You gave me the names of those who post those lists, but said they are not usually posted until after the draft and before the Free Agency frenzy opens up.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Thanks Taos. I fixed this.

For the other G:

Doesn't matter how or why, but playing games on 2 teams is technically splitting a season. It's just semantics with me. His output in both locations was similarly poor. Was he injured the previous year with Bridgeport when he played 5 games in AHL Bport and 23 with ECHL Worcester? His AHL #s have never been good (78Pts/365GP). There are way better players to use the AHL veteran status on than Thomson.

As for Jacobs, he is not a player to bring back as there ARE better UFA RDs out there. If the Canucks don't re-sign Brogan Rafferty, he would be good pickup for NJ. He is a UFA. The Canucks don't seem to have any interest in him as an NHL D-man. He needs some serious coaching defensively, but he is a very skilled skater, a puck rushing RD. has an accurate shot, and is a good play maker.

2019-20
AHL All-Rookie Team
AHL All-Star Game,
Most Assists by a Rookie (38)
AHL second All-Star Team
2nd of all AHL D-men in Assists
3rd of all AHL D-men in Points

2021 played in 1 total hockey game. Rode the Vancouver Taxi cab for the rest of the season. That's not how you treat a prized prospect. He will search for another suitor. Go NJ Go.

I'm not even considering Koules, Irvine, or Mitens and I doubt NJ is either.

If the Devils are going to seek a veteran center, he should be a challenger for the top point getter on the team and centering the team's 2 best prospects. Holtz, Mercer, Foote or the guys sent down that any of these 3 have displaced.
If they have a top center prospect, he should get the #2 center slot with that good veteran wing we have been discussing and the the next top wing prospect.
Even though Schmelzer may be better than the prospect he would get the #3 slot and 2 younger prospects to boost along.

This puts your 2 best forwards in the best position to succeed vs the oppositions best line or their top checking line.
Your next 2 best forwards get a very good linemate who just might be a good playmaker and lets your top center prospect have 2 guys who can support him well.
Those next 2 wings are still very high draft selections and will get a chance to grow fast with a veteran center against the opposition's weaker 3rd line.
The 4th line is best constructed by the coaches from the rest of the roster. There is still plenty of talent to go around from the list I was able to draw up and there will still be other players added to this roster. There were not enough prospects to fill out the forward portion of this roster. If NJ does right by their prospects several players on the Binghamton roster this past season will be replaced. I use Tampa Bay as the model franchise in constructing an AHL team with their prospects supported by strong AHL/NHL tweeners and successful AHL players who, for whatever reason, just didn't have that little something that boosted them to the NHL. They keep moving players off their roster to get under the Cap and just keep replacing them with guys off the Crunch roster. I have to believe that is what NJ is looking to do with these kids down here. That will be something new for them as they have not been famous for building a strong farm system, but with the draft selections they have accrued, they are going to have to bring them along with a strong support group or risk some of these guys fizzling out if left to fly by the seat of their pants.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
We've seen a lot of Ben Thomson over the years playing against the Comets. He is never going to put up many points but is always willing to drop the gloves. I would put him in the same category as Vinny Arseneau for the Comets. Howard Dolgon the owner of the Syracuse Crunch was quoted recently that he would like to see an enforcer type added to the Crunch lineup next season something he thought was missing this year when they had both Tampa Bay and Florida sending them prospects. With so many games scheduled between Utica and Syracuse every year I could see a Ben Thomson or Vinny Arseneau type player added to the Comets roster.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
We've seen a lot of Ben Thomson over the years playing against the Comets. He is never going to put up many points but is always willing to drop the gloves. I would put him in the same category as Vinny Arseneau for the Comets. Howard Dolgon the owner of the Syracuse Crunch was quoted recently that he would like to see an enforcer type added to the Crunch lineup next season something he thought was missing this year when they had both Tampa Bay and Florida sending them prospects. With so many games scheduled between Utica and Syracuse every year I could see a Ben Thomson or Vinny Arseneau type player added to the Comets roster.

There will be room on the Comets roster for a few extras beyond the prospects, especially if they cut bait with some of the UFAs that played in Bingo. As I see it they will have 9 forwards after they sign Studenic.
AJ Greer was the most prolific scorer in Bingo last year with 14Pts/16GP. He is an RFA. He would qualify for VE status. 10 if signed.

Thomson definitely qualifies as a Veteran. Like Arseneau, he would not have to play every game, but would add some grit to the lineup anytime the coach feels it's needed. He would be a veteran. 11 if signed

People seem high on Schmelzer. The plus with him is he is not a veteran.The minus is he is not #1 center material. 12

They definitely need a #1 veteran center even if he skates on the 2nd line while they see if they have a prospect who can run at #1. 13

Still room for a couple more. maybe someone they have carried before or some new improved blood. this would give them 2 Vets and 1 VE.

They are desperately in need of a very good veteran D-man. All the D are young kids. I don't buy Colton White as that guy. It would be similar to when Benning tried to use both Ashton Sautner and Guillaume Brisebois in the same season with both sharing that role. Juolevi, Rafferty, Eliot, and Teves were not helped at all by those 2. Hell, Cull even tried to use 2nd yr Chatfield to carry Juolevi or perhaps carry each other. LOL

As I see it, they actually only have 5 D-prospects and all are under contract. They need 2 Vets or at least AHL experienced quality D-men. If Vets, that would make 4 Vets and 1 VE total on the roster.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

What role did Dolgon think Witkowski was serving? That guy could throw 'em with the best. He started his career as a definite enforcer (204 minutes in his 1st season with Syracuse) and his PIM throughout his career with the Crunch would continue to show his willingness to drop 'em. Maybe he's getting too old for that now or maybe won't be re-signed?

I think the fight he had with Vinnie this past season caused him to miss most of the remaining games for the Crunch last season. Vinnie was roughed up in that one and missed some games as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad