2021/22 Utica Comets and ECHL Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
OWNERSHIP is branded Connecticut Islanders, what does this have to do with Utica?

there was already a thread on the AHL Forum discussing the transition from BST TO BI
nothing, i made a one off comment... you're the one who responded to my rhetorical comment with an actual answer relax

i didn't even expect anyone to respond to the comment and i've tried to diffuse your seemingly serious comments over nothing, it's not my fault you feel the need to respond to every single one

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Should have gone back to the devils with the Utica devils logo

at least change the name to anything else. I associate the comets with Vancouver

Fans in Utica associate Comets with their city and seemingly with youth ice hockey teams as well.

I'm really not a fan of minor league teams just having the same name as the parent club. You get some great names in the minor leagues - loved it when the Devils had the River Rats as their minor league affiliate.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Should have gone back to the devils with the Utica devils logo

at least change the name to anything else. I associate the comets with Vancouver

Fans in Utica associate Comets with their city and seemingly with youth ice hockey teams as well.

I'm really not a fan of minor league teams just having the same name as the parent club. You get some great names in the minor leagues - loved it when the Devils had the River Rats as their minor league affiliate.

The Comets name has a 70 year history in the Utica area and has no real association with the Vancouver Canucks. Clinton, NY is a small village a few miles from Utica and was home to the Clinton Comets of the Eastern Hockey League.

A little known fact...The New Jersey Devils name has something in common with the Utica Comets name. Both honor the name of teams from the old EHL. The Comets carry on the tradition of the old Clinton Comets and the New Jersey Devils carry on the tradition of the Jersey Devils who used to play in Cherry Hill, NJ.

Screenshot 2021-05-21 144521.png

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I agree with this and the first thing that set this move rumors off was when Utica Comets Pres. Robert Eche got a trademark for “Utica Devils”. So he would probably has some say there too.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
As to the attendance numbers the Utica numbers are what they are and can't get any larger. The Comets have sold out the Aud every single game since mid 2015. It is the longest sold out record in AHL history. The building rocks and you can't hear yourself speak when the crowd has something to cheer about. It is one of the top arenas in the country to play a game in and the players from all teams will tell you that point blank. The Comets have said when the U-T-I-C-A chant goes up at top volume the hair on their bodies stands up. They also say it's difficult to talk to each other between faceoffs.

The off ice facilities rival those of NHL teams. Esche and Co. take care of theses guys as if they were family members. Most of the community does as well.

The word coming out of Vancouver from guys who have been here has always been if you have to play in the AHL, Utica, is the place to do it. Players coming in from other locations marvel at the facilities, the city, and most of all the fan base. When the season ends the word from AHL contract players to their agents is, "Get me back here if at all possible."

Seems to be a lot of wavering on here over small stuff. Rest easy. This city will take top shelf care of the prospects and the rest of the players. The only thing that go wrong here is on NJ's end. Uniforms, team name, and color combos is small potatoes. The colors will be NJ red, white, and black. The name will be the Comets. The team on the ice is the most important factor. If they are young prospects they will need experienced support players. Prospects don't develop well thrown to the wolves. Flying by the seat of their pants won't cut it. We've seen that before.

That’s great to hear. Seems like for the last several years the Devils AHL team was not a desirable place to play and struggled to attract the quality veterans that usually allow AHL teams to be successful year in and year out. That’s not a slight on Binghamton, but dating back to both Albany and Lowell it seems like the Devils never attracted or kept around players outside of castaways or their own prospects.

I’ve seen a few comments from Fitzgerald about making teams successful and needing to have that veteran experience. Hope he follows that up as the team this year was very young and struggled as expected. If we can add some quality veterans to the pool of prospects, the AHL team should be able to be very competitive.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The Comets name has a 70 year history in the Utica area and has no real association with the Vancouver Canucks. Clinton, NY is a small village a few miles from Utica and was home to the Clinton Comets of the Eastern Hockey League.

A little known fact...The New Jersey Devils name has something in common with the Utica Comets name. Both honor the name of teams from the old EHL. The Comets carry on the tradition of the old Clinton Comets and the New Jersey Devils carry on the tradition of the Jersey Devils who used to play in Cherry Hill, NJ.

View attachment 436931

New Jersey Devils (and that Jersey Devils team you’re talking about) actually come from an old folklore about a mythical creature that supposedly haunts the Pine Barrens (which is located in Southern New Jersey).

Jersey Devil - Wikipedia

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That’s great to hear. Seems like for the last several years the Devils AHL team was not a desirable place to play and struggled to attract the quality veterans that usually allow AHL teams to be successful year in and year out. That’s not a slight on Binghamton, but dating back to both Albany and Lowell it seems like the Devils never attracted or kept around players outside of castaways or their own prospects.

I’ve seen a few comments from Fitzgerald about making teams successful and needing to have that veteran experience. Hope he follows that up as the team this year was very young and struggled as expected. If we can add some quality veterans to the pool of prospects, the AHL team should be able to be very competitive.

The Devils also just didn't pay for minor league talent that often. Your top AHL players want one-way deals - they'll play in the minors, but they want to be paid a major league salary to do it. The Devils usually don't offer more than half of that, and it's tough to lure or keep guys when that's the case.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Please just bring back the retro colors and Utica devils logo etc. This is the easiest f***ing choice. Probably most marketable as well. f*** I would buy a Utica holtz jersey in that beautiful white, green and red theme.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The Devils also just didn't pay for minor league talent that often. Your top AHL players want one-way deals - they'll play in the minors, but they want to be paid a major league salary to do it. The Devils usually don't offer more than half of that, and it's tough to lure or keep guys when that's the case.

They’ve shifted on this in recent years it seems. They’ve been offering up hefty AHL salaries (200k+) for their top AHL vets like Street and Tennyson. A lot of those contracts have guaranteed salary higher than their AHL salaries too which guarantees they get a game or two when injuries strike.

Unless you’re the Toronto Maple Leads, I don’t think many teams around the league really are paying one-way contracts for AHL players all that often. They do seem to be paying top AHl salaries for two-way deals though.

Reactions: UticaHockey

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
They’ve shifted on this in recent years it seems. They’ve been offering up hefty AHL salaries (200k+) for their top AHL vets like Street and Tennyson. A lot of those contracts have guaranteed salary higher than their AHL salaries too which guarantees they get a game or two when injuries strike.

Unless you’re the Toronto Maple Leads, I don’t think many teams around the league really are paying one-way contracts for AHL players all that often. They do seem to be paying top AHl salaries for two-way deals though.
I see Street was at $425K and Tennyson $350K on the AHL side of their two way contracts so NJ was willing to spend money on AHL vets. Just need to spend it on the right players that know their role is to help mentor the kids while creating a winning culture for the organization as a whole.

Reactions: Tao Jones

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I see Street was at $425K and Tennyson $350K on the AHL side of their two way contracts so NJ was willing to spend money on AHL vets. Just need to spend it on the right players that know their role is to help mentor the kids while creating a winning culture for the organization as a whole.

Seney has apparently made over a million dollars in his career. Just throwing that out there. Not that I have it from any source that may or may not be Seney himself who is also as I understand it from an completely random source the most successful NJ draft pick since 2012. Oh and the organization needs to get a new coach since Denehy is an unabashed loser even though the Bingo Devils were the best team in the AHL after Christmas in 2019 until the shutdown when he actually had the horses to win.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Seney has apparently made over a million dollars in his career. Just throwing that out there. Not that I have it from any source that may or may not be Seney himself who is also as I understand it from an completely random source the most successful NJ draft pick since 2012. Oh and the organization needs to get a new coach since Denehy is an unabashed loser even though the Bingo Devils were the best team in the AHL after Christmas in 2019 until the shutdown when he actually had the horses to win.
Actually CapFriendly has Seney’s estimated career earnings at $946,398. While that’s excellent for 25 year old it’s not quite a million. Just throwing that out there.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
Dennehy as Bingo head coach- 69 wins, 105 losses (39%). Prior to Bingo- 2 winning seasons in 14 as head coach.

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
Actually CapFriendly has Seney’s estimated career earnings at $946,398. While that’s excellent for 25 year old it’s not quite a million. Just throwing that out there.
Or $1.25 million CANADIAN. Not bad for a CANADIAN kid who turned 25 less than 3 months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino