Not open for further replies.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Cant believe Gignac was a third round pick

Even worse is Connor Chatham... puke

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As to the attendance numbers the Utica numbers are what they are and can't get any larger. The Comets have sold out the Aud every single game since mid 2015. It is the longest sold out record in AHL history. The building rocks and you can't hear yourself speak when the crowd has something to cheer about. It is one of the top arenas in the country to play a game in and the players from all teams will tell you that point blank. The Comets have said when the U-T-I-C-A chant goes up at top volume the hair on their bodies stands up. They also say it's difficult to talk to each other between faceoffs.

The off ice facilities rival those of NHL teams. Esche and Co. take care of theses guys as if they were family members. Most of the community does as well.

The word coming out of Vancouver from guys who have been here has always been if you have to play in the AHL, Utica, is the place to do it. Players coming in from other locations marvel at the facilities, the city, and most of all the fan base. When the season ends the word from AHL contract players to their agents is, "Get me back here if at all possible."

Seems to be a lot of wavering on here over small stuff. Rest easy. This city will take top shelf care of the prospects and the rest of the players. The only thing that go wrong here is on NJ's end. Uniforms, team name, and color combos is small potatoes. The colors will be NJ red, white, and black. The name will be the Comets. The team on the ice is the most important factor. If they are young prospects they will need experienced support players. Prospects don't develop well thrown to the wolves. Flying by the seat of their pants won't cut it. We've seen that before.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Bit of an odd layout for the arena in Utica - with a stage behind the goal where they attack twice. Would be cool to catch a game there one day though.

1555093739-full.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As to the attendance numbers the Utica numbers are what they are and can't get any larger. The Comets have sold out the Aud every single game since mid 2015. It is the longest sold out record in AHL history. The building rocks and you can't hear yourself speak when the crowd has something to cheer about. It is one of the top arenas in the country to play a game in and the players from all teams will tell you that point blank. The Comets have said when the U-T-I-C-A chant goes up at top volume the hair on their bodies stands up. They also say it's difficult to talk to each other between faceoffs.

The off ice facilities rival those of NHL teams. Esche and Co. take care of theses guys as if they were family members. Most of the community does as well.

The word coming out of Vancouver from guys who have been here has always been if you have to play in the AHL, Utica, is the place to do it. Players coming in from other locations marvel at the facilities, the city, and most of all the fan base. When the season ends the word from AHL contract players to their agents is, "Get me back here if at all possible."

Seems to be a lot of wavering on here over small stuff. Rest easy. This city will take top shelf care of the prospects and the rest of the players. The only thing that go wrong here is on NJ's end. Uniforms, team name, and color combos is small potatoes. The colors will be NJ red, white, and black. The name will be the Comets. The team on the ice is the most important factor. If they are young prospects they will need experienced support players. Prospects don't develop well thrown to the wolves. Flying by the seat of their pants won't cut it. We've seen that before.

For a while, NJ didn't have great prospects at the AHL level. In recent years, the team has added a number of solid prospects in later rounds of the draft. This past year with the roster turnover, NJ made room for a number of younger players that had been playing in Binghamton for a year or two. A bunch of them stuck. Some are still probably on the borderline. Next year, there will be returning prospect tier talent at RW (Holtz, Clarke, Zetterlund, Thompson), LD (Vukojevic, Okhotiuk), RD (Walsh), LW (Talvitie), and maybe Bahl at LD and maybe Foote at LW and maybe Boqvist or Maltsev at C depending upon who sticks in NJ. The goalies will include at least one rookie - either Daws or Schmid - maybe both make it? NJ will likely add an AHL rookie in Mercer who may play C or RW. That still leaves room for a number of AHL veterans at LW and C and RD. I don't pretend to know who NJ might want to bring from Bingo to Utica to mentor the young players. Former prospects like Seney and Jacobs are free agents so we will have to see if they want to come back or if the organization wants them back. There are also the two guys that NJ got from the NYI in Jobst and Greer to consider. Are there any Utica lifers that warrant consideration by NJ as an AHL veteran?

Reactions: nugg

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
For a while, NJ didn't have great prospects at the AHL level. In recent years, the team has added a number of solid prospects in later rounds of the draft. This past year with the roster turnover, NJ made room for a number of younger players that had been playing in Binghamton for a year or two. A bunch of them stuck. Some are still probably on the borderline. Next year, there will be returning prospect tier talent at RW (Holtz, Clarke, Zetterlund, Thompson), LD (Vukojevic, Okhotiuk), RD (Walsh), LW (Talvitie), and maybe Bahl at LD and maybe Foote at LW and maybe Boqvist or Maltsev at C depending upon who sticks in NJ. The goalies will include at least one rookie - either Daws or Schmid - maybe both make it? NJ will likely add an AHL rookie in Mercer who may play C or RW. That still leaves room for a number of AHL veterans at LW and C and RD. I don't pretend to know who NJ might want to bring from Bingo to Utica to mentor the young players. Former prospects like Seney and Jacobs are free agents so we will have to see if they want to come back or if the organization wants them back. There are also the two guys that NJ got from the NYI in Jobst and Greer to consider. Are there any Utica lifers that warrant consideration by NJ as an AHL veteran?
No.

Utica
Vincent Arseneau
Shawn Cameron (Loaned by Springfield/Assigned to Greenville, ECHL)
Robby Jackson (Loaned by Springfield)
John Stevens
Josh Wesley (Loaned by Sprigfield)

Courtesy of @Booba

2020-2021 AHL contracts

Last edited:

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I'm not sure what the Comets PxP announcer status is for next season. We had Jason Shaya this year who was terrific but I don't know if he plans on staying in Utica next year or if he is going back to Charlotte. Shaya had been the voice of the Checkers since 2007 but when Charlotte opted out of the AHL this season he was offered a job by Rob Esche.

Sounds like Shaya may stay in Utica?

This broadcast gives a lot more than Tom Mitchell did.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bit of an odd layout for the arena in Utica - with a stage behind the goal where they attack twice. Would be cool to catch a game there one day though.

1555093739-full.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg
Looks like a big ole fire place. Should put a Devils caldron or something in there.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

Sounds like Shaya may stay in Utica?

This broadcast gives a lot more than Tom Mitchell did.

The Comets this year broadcast every home game on a local TV station which was very well done. Shaya did the play-by-play while Utica College coach Gary Heenan did color. I hope Shaya comes back he was excellent.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
The Comets this year broadcast every home game on a local TV station which was very well done. Shaya did the play-by-play while Utica College coach Gary Heenan did color. I hope Shaya comes back he was excellent.
I think Shaya will be back based on those comments today.

I think Rob Lippolis would have been served by a supporting cast. Rob did well when he had a guest color guy for couple of games in the 2017 inaugural season. I can't remember his name I think from UMaine? He did well with interviews of players and coaches. He was great with Julie Robenhymer on the prospects podcasts. He had a lot of fun with Grady Whittenburg on the finale. I missed the NJ games he called with Chico. I'll look for some clips of those.

edit:

Will listen to this after the Chicoutimi game, but sounds like Rob may have something here:

Odds and Ends | Special Guest: Rob Lippolis [SOTFA EP109] - Let's Go Devils Podcast

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

1555093739-full.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

The stage is rented out to groups. The bar you see through the window to the right also provides viewing for Season Ticket holders who pay an extra buck to be able to use the bar. Only those who buck up get to go there.

Your map shows the luxury boxes at the other end of the building. They also get rented out to groups. They were always occupied. Off the top of my head there are 3 other bars open to the fan base. Food of several varieties is available at specific sites throughout the concourse.

It's a great place to watch a hockey game. There isn't a bad seat in the house. You are right on top of the game. Depending upon your desires it can cost a pretty buck or merely the cost of a ticket, a beer/soda/, popcorn, pretzel, hot dog, chicken sandwich with the fixings, steak sandwich, barbecue pork/chicken/beef brisket, potatoes and gravy, chili, nachos, mac and cheese, waffle fries, meat balls, and much, much, more.

The Comets sponsor an opportunity for kids to make the Jr Comets with teams at all of the youth levels. They are given time with the Comets players one on one.

Next door to the Utica Aud the Nexus Center is being built. It will house at least 2 more hockey rinks as well as soccer and other sports facilities. The plan is for local use as well as tournaments of all levels in a ll of the sports played in the complex.

There are several local high school hockey teams and the NYSPHSAA State Hockey Champions have come from Section III on many occasions with Clinton (4), New Hartford (3), Rome Catholic (2), Rome Free Academy, and Whitesboro (1) capturing the crown. Many of those victories took place right on this ice.

Utica is a hockey town. The fans here are educated hockey people. They know the game. They will support any team, win or lose, that plays the game the best that they can.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
For those into such things, Utica's art museum is outstanding for a city that size (and also free).

That's the Munson-Williams-Proctor Art Institute.

If you are interested in an education in art, the PrattMWP College of Art and Design is located adjacent to the Art Institute. It is a well renowned Art School.

Last edited:

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Should have gone back to the devils with the Utica devils logo

at least change the name to anything else. I associate the comets with Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino