Speculation: 2021-22 Trade Thread V : Swedewatch III -The Verbeekening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Do you think ANY new GM would ever come in and shit on the old GM?

I do think. Mod edit

Verbeek wasn't talking directly about the old GM, but rather what it is that enticed him to want to be the new GM. Verbeek described all this to the org to land this job b/c he didn't have to start from scratch.

I think you're implying he lied to the whole organization to land this job. And that you're in agreement that we don't have good NHLers, good developing prospects in the AHL, and more prospects coming? And that you're in agreement that our cap situation is dire that we needed to escape from being over the cap? And you're in agreement that our youths didn't take massive steps forward this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Do you think ANY new GM would ever come in and shit on the old GM?
Probably never in a million years, at least not directly, but he's not directly complimenting Bob here either. So far we've seen that maybe Verbeek's a little cavalier with the truth but I don't think he's doing that here. I mean, the one thing about Bob rebuilding the team the first time is that he inherited a few cornerstone pieces and they never had to start from scratch, there's some similarities here.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I do think. Mod edit

Verbeek wasn't talking directly about the old GM, but rather what it is that enticed him to want to be the new GM. Verbeek described all this to the org to land this job b/c he didn't have to start from scratch.

I think you're implying he lied to the whole organization to land this job. And that you're in agreement that we don't have good NHLers, good developing prospects in the AHL, and more prospects coming? And that you're in agreement that our cap situation is dire that we needed to escape from being over the cap? And you're in agreement that our youths didn't take massive steps forward this year?

That's a lot of words you put in my mouth there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We are going to end up not trading for a single established player aren't we.....

Wait until summer.

I meant in summer too.

Then you'll be wrong.

I think Verbeek is committed to his vision of a specific age and why he opted for several draft picks. He's on record that his method is taking a lot of shots in hopes of increasing the chances of landing good players. I really think Verbeek is hoping we don't win another game this season to improve our draft stock.

The previous regime, otoh, gets more success by scouting better.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I'm surprised teams with shaky goaltending aren't kicking the tires on Stolarz. I guess they might be, but we haven't heard anything about it. He's been fantastic since he's been here outside of maybe like 1 or 2 games. Edmonton and Toronto don't think he's better then their current backup?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm surprised teams with shaky goaltending aren't kicking the tires on Stolarz. I guess they might be, but we haven't heard anything about it. He's been fantastic since he's been here outside of maybe like 1 or 2 games. Edmonton and Toronto don't think he's better then their current backup?
His names never been mentioned at all, maybe the Ducks won't move him, I dunno, I've wondered that as well. Well I doubt Edmonton would go back to him but I'd think he makes a world of sense for any team looking.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'd trade Stolarz for D Fleury + 6th rd pick. The Kraken really need better goalies. Is asking for a 6th rounder too much with Fleury?

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
We'll sign established FAs for sure, it just not be the type of established that we're hoping for.
He may, but I believe his focus will be on established players on cap-strapped teams - that's what all the picks are for. You don't need them for UFAs.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

I’d imagine the organization would want quite a bit. A guy who’s probably in the upper echelon of backups that can play about 25 games, with a year and a half of control at $900K in a flat cap scenario is a pretty attractive asset.

There’s also a non-zero chance that they could be looking at moving Gibson at the draft, you’d like to have Stolarz around as insurance

Reactions: duckpuck

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
He may, but I believe his focus will be on established players on cap-strapped teams - that's what all the picks are for. You don't need them for UFAs.

I shouldn't have specified UFAs, I should've used acquire, you're right. I just meant that people hoping for borderline star established players to be signed should not be holding their breath. I think he'll acquire established NHL players to help insulate the young guys. Your Cody Eakins of the world.

I’d imagine the organization would want quite a bit. A guy who’s probably in the upper echelon of backups that can play about 25 games, with a year and a half of control at $900K in a flat cap scenario is a pretty attractive asset.

There’s also a non-zero chance that they could be looking at moving Gibson at the draft, you’d like to have Stolarz around as insurance

Great points. I honestly wouldn't hate a Stolarz/Dostal tandem if the price is right for Gibby.

Reactions: branmuffin17

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I shouldn't have specified UFAs, I should've used acquire, you're right. I just meant that people hoping for borderline star established players to be signed should not be holding their breath. I think he'll acquire established NHL players to help insulate the young guys. Your Cody Eakins of the world.

Great points. I honestly wouldn't hate a Stolarz/Dostal tandem if the price is right for Gibby.
Moar Grantzlaf less Eakin. Don't even put that out in the universe.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Jeremy Lauzon just got dealt to NSH for a 2nd, he would be a perfect young physical D that could’ve slotted in the top 4 very nicely

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'd trade Stolarz for D Fleury + 6th rd pick. The Kraken really need better goalies. Is asking for a 6th rounder too much with Fleury?

The ducks don't need Fleury at this point. If anything, they need Gudbranson who is an RFA (or similar). They are small and soft as a team, particularly on defensive side.

This is exactly right. I think there's at least a 50% chance Gibson asks for a trade and/or Verbeek decides he wants to move on. In any event, I think the ducks need Stolarz for at least another year because he has tremendous value as a cheep backup. My guess is that if the ducks trade gibson, they take back a goalie or sign a UFA as a stop gap for a year. I think Dostal could use another year in the minors and you probably want to ease him into the competition.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hey guys,
I am long time lurker, but never post. I noticed Turris from Edmonton was waived, what do you guys think the best package Edm would give us for Rakell at 50 percent retention would be?
I imagine a 2nd + b prospect… maybe the 2nd is conditional 1st based on your playoff success… because division rival and what not

Reactions: Captain kahruinch

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
The boards need to chill, people are coming off as a little too personally invested in the deadline and it’s making these threads stressful as hell to read, can we all agree to take a step back a bit and stop trying to take jabs at each other please.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Well after listening to Hampus Message to the Boston media it likely came down to two things. Obviously term and position to compete. I do absolutely think that ANA is not a contending team in 2-3 years with would be if you have a 5 year frame and are half way. This will all come down how especially Zegras, Drysdale, Terry, MacT, Hellerson and Thrun/Lacombe will progress. If one of them turns out like Adam Fox it may go quicker. But if you have to rely on what 2022/2023 drafts will provide, it will be a long way to go. Then we talk about 4-5 years from now and you can absolutely question the need of Gibson in the next 18 months. Silf and Henrique will be gone and Cams contract will run out.

Honestly I think our forward line will be ok but our D really makes me worrying a lot. They lack size and the mean factor. The Ducks were a quite soft team right now. Manson, Hampus and Des the more physical guys.

I'm old enough to know the Ducks from the very first beginning and those first years were, well, lets say interesting. It feels the same way again now. Somehow we look like an expansion team in its 2nd or 3rd year.

And because of Domi and Fiala mentioned here. Do you really want to sign those kind of players to 7y contracts at their UFA price? So you can expect around 8 or more for 7 years.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Lastly the thing about Verbeek promising something and doing something else is uncalled for and your definition of step-back doesn’t fit everyone’s. In fact I’m ok with us taking a step back that sets up full-steps forward after years of half-stepping, meandering, p***yfooting and all other sorts of words.

Samuelis aren’t prepared to handle poor attendance? Well then I’m damn glad they’re not the ones GM’ing or stepping in, because a plan dictating our future product on ice shouldn’t come at the cost of what keeps your dollar going into their pockets right now. Tough luck season ticket holders, you’re just gonna have to watch developing players growing pains with a paper bag over your head and Lindholm jerseys on the ice. How inconvenient for you, you should boycott from funding our small market team and stick to your guns when things turn around because they still don’t deserve your money or attendance. I say as they all purchase Zegras and Drysdale jerseys once the number switches.
I think many season tickets holders will simply forgo the bag and just watch from the couch like the rest of the masses. Or, not watch from the couch, as quite a few posters have proclaimed this year.

Paying to watch a product like the previous 2 years for another 2 years is not real high up on my wish list.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I think many season tickets holders will simply forgo the bag and just watch from the couch like the rest of the masses. Or, not watch from the couch, as quite a few posters have proclaimed this year.

Paying to watch a product like the previous 2 years for another 2 years is not real high up on my wish list.
Which is why I said.. verbeek will sign some high free agents.. Sameluis won't take and empty arena for long.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
What’s the point in grading anything Verbeek has done before our opening roster next season.

He clearly isn’t scared to make deals and put his stamp on the team. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Remember when people questioned Yzerman in Tampa? Seemed like he had a solid plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad