Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumours and FA Part III: Should we trade Girard or not ? Part 99

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I'm not sure the rationale giving assets for MAF unless he comes dirt cheap. Even then it would mean one of Franky or Keumper would need to be dealt. Can't see either one being exactly thrilled with that kind of move.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not sure the rationale giving assests for MAF unless he comes dirt cheap. Even then it would mean one of Franky or Keumper would need to be dealt. Can't see either one being exactly thrilled with that kind of move.

I could give a f*** what either one of them think in that event. :laugh:

Yes, one of them, likely Kuemper, would probably go the other way IF such a deal were to take place.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
On the goalie front, nothing is going to happen anytime soon. The Avs will take the next two months to fully evaluate the goaltending situation and determine if MAF or a starter caliber goalie is needed.

If Francouz and Kuemper keep doing what they've done the last 5 games... Not needed really.

If they keep doing well we trade for a Stolarz or Halak. If they falter we got big game hunting

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well, playing Devil's Advocate here, Groob turned in a regular season performance last year that was so good he ended up a Vezina finalist. We all know what happened next.

You have to give Kuemper a chance lmao.
I'm as much a critic of him as anyone but if he is playing really well between now and the deadline you can't just jump ship.

They traded a 1st round pick for him. They're certainly not going to bail on him for MAF at the deadline if he's playing like he has the last couple of games for us. Even Chiarelli isn't that dumb.

If Kuemper is still shit come trade deadline ya you may have to make a move.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah I can't see Kuemper going anywhere considering what we paid to get him.

Instead... Let's run with Fleury/Frank/Kuemper. When two of them eventually goes down, we'll be prepared ;)

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You have to give Kuemper a chance lmao.
I'm as much a critic of him as anyone but if he is playing really well between now and the deadline you can't just jump ship.

They traded a 1st round pick for him. They're certainly not going to bail on him for MAF at the deadline if he's playing like he has the last couple of games for us. Even Chiarelli isn't that dumb.

If Kuemper is still shit come trade deadline ya you may have to make a move.

I don't think a deal for MAF is going to happen tomorrow (watch me be wrong). There's time yet to assess the goalie situation before considering a move for Fleury, but if Joe doesn't even consider making a move for the guy because he supposedly made an investment in Kuemper, he should be fired on the spot.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I can't see Kuemper going anywhere considering what we paid to get him.

Instead... Let's run with Fleury/Frank/Kuemper. When two of them eventually goes down, we'll be prepared ;)

They'd end up losing Kuemper or Francouz to waivers.

But I do think instead of getting someone like Fleury, they'll go after a waiver cleared goalie instead.

Someone like Dell or Hutton probably to be the #3G. Dell would be a solid 3rd option tbh.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
:naughty:Varlamov could be available

This is what I keep thinking. Sucked seeing Varly have to play for all those shitty defensive teams and then be shown the door once the team got good.

Would be awesome to have him come back and win a Cup with this team.

Would make for an awkward locker room at first though with Kuemper, as the guys who played with Varly all cheer and happily welcome him back, while Darcy is just sitting there thinking about his starters role possibly being lost.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Last focus should be a goalie. The team spends more time trying to escape the defensive zone then any other I’ve seen. We got cycled on by Arizona, the ducks and kings very badly.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Last focus should be a goalie. The team spends more time trying to escape the defensive zone then any other I’ve seen. We got cycled on by Arizona, the ducks and kings very badly.

If you’ve never seen a team get hemmed in more than the Avs before in your life then you obviously never saw a game the first couple years of the Bednar era, and you DEFINITELY did not see the Avs play under Sacco or Roy. All those teams got trapped in their own zone way, way more than the current Avs on their worst day.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If you’ve never seen a team get hemmed in more than the Avs before in your life then you obviously never saw a game the first couple years of the Bednar era, and you DEFINITELY did not see the Avs play under Sacco or Roy. All those teams got trapped in their own zone way, way more than the current Avs on their worst day.

Good grief. How do people not remember those days?!

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

You don't like man-to-man defensive coverage?

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Pokecheque

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
The Avs have been exhausted with all the hockey they've been playing lately. That's 100% the reason for their subpar play lately IMO.

Very fair observation. It seems like the bulk of the season it's been a game every 3rd or 4th night. Then, now, it's every other night and sometimes back to back.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

I was exaggerating, but even then I don’t think it’s ideal that the defensive play is comparable to those times. I know I’m not the only one who sees how badly we struggle against a cycle. We also throw muffins for clearing attempts and can’t win D zone draws to save our life. A few tweaks in the bottom 6 can fix something like that though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Very fair observation. It seems like the bulk of the season it's been a game every 3rd or 4th night. Then, now, it's every other night and sometimes back to back.

The Kings game was their 5th game in 7 nights. 7th in 11 nights. And 3rd back to back in 11 days.

That's a ton of hockey. I'm super impressed at how they were able to pull out these wins after playing so much hockey. I was expecting them to lose both the games in Cali due to fatigue, but they found a way to win.

I think they learned a lot about themselves lately, in terms of what they're capable of, and how to win ugly games. Which will help them immensely in the playoffs.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was exaggerating, but even then I don’t think it’s ideal that the defensive play is comparable to those times. I know I’m not the only one who sees how badly we struggle against a cycle. We also throw muffins for clearing attempts and can’t win D zone draws to save our life. A few tweaks in the bottom 6 can fix something like that though.

I’ll be the first to admit the slow starts are something they need to address but when they’re on their game they move the puck out of trouble just about better than anyone.

And it isn’t the bottom six that’s the problem per se. The top line gets stuck a lot too. And part of that is the fact that Rants and MacKinnon are just not that great defensively. They more than make up for it on most nights though.

As for D-zone draws…well. No one bitches about the faceoffs more than I. :laugh:

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
The Kings game was their 5th game in 7 nights. 7th in 11 nights. And 3rd back to back in 11 days.

That's a ton of hockey. I'm super impressed at how they were able to pull out these wins after playing so much hockey. I was expecting them to lose both the games in Cali due to fatigue, but they found a way to win.

I think they learned a lot about themselves lately, in terms of what they're capable of, and how to win ugly games. Which will help them immensely in the playoffs.

Agreed. And if you want to dive deeper, not only do they win matter-of-factly more often - but they also come from behind to win games more routinely.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I’ll be the first to admit the slow starts are something they need to address but when they’re on their game they move the puck out of trouble just about better than anyone.

And it isn’t the bottom six that’s the problem per se. The top line gets stuck a lot too. And part of that is the fact that Rants and MacKinnon are just not that great defensively. They more than make up for it on most nights though.

As for D-zone draws…well. No one bitches about the faceoffs more than I. :laugh:

Ahem

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Trade them Helleson for Copp. He’ll get one look at Winterpeg, opt to stay at BC for his senior year and then the Avalanche can sign him as a UFA.
Well with the Crime rate and everything that's gone on in Colorado in the last several years I'm not so sure about that.

At least you can send your kids to school ssfely in Winterpeg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Totally agree. I'm so tired of the half assed measures they take to address the goaltending at every deadline, despite knowing both their goalies are injury prone, and have been injured at the same time, multiple times before.

And this year the goaltending is more for a concern than in recent years. Joe needs to be aggressive and bring in proven goaltender so they can all battle it out for the starters job. Time to stop screwing around and make a big push for the Cup this year.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad