Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and FA Part V: To Giroux or not to Giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If that's BS from the Philly side to drive the price up (and it very well could be) then I'm confident that Sakic will walk away if it's too expensive and go to plan B (whatever that is).

He painted himself in the corner with Kuemper but it's a very different situation here. There are many sellers and a ton of options.

Reactions: Richard88

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
That Giroux info sounds like it’s coming straight from the Flyers.

“Claude would like to go to Colorado, but we’re going to say he’d also like to go to their divisional rivals to drive up the price.”

Makes total sense in terms of being a loyal Flyer and doing the organization a solid. Toss ‘em Bowers then.

Avs need to shore up the 4-6Dman position more so than Hagel though for the POs.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Last 3 years we are tied to big trade deadline names and nada.
The thing with the Giroux stuff is it's happening way too soon. If there was this much smoke like a day before the deadline that'd be a different story. 5 weeks though? Way too long.

What sucks is our cap situation prevents us to make the trade now (like Calgary did earlier today) unless the Flyers are taking 2 roster players making 2M+.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Makes total sense in terms of being a loyal Flyer and doing the organization a solid. Toss ‘em Bowers then.

Avs need to shore up the 4-6Dman position more so than Hagel though for the POs.

yip the defense concerns me alot even if Byram is good to go I still think they need to add 1 or 2 solid defenders. In short I want Brett kulak and someone else.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What a crazy coincidence that Giroux would not want to go to another top team like the Panthers, Lightning or Hurricanes but specifically an Avs division rival. Crazy stuff HAHA

East is a crapshoot. So many top teams to get through in the playoffs

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Are we really going to start listening to Dater again just because he said something we want to hear?

Look, I think Giroux would be perfect, too. But deep down we all know we're going to be disappointed this deadline.

Reactions: PAZ

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Basically needs to be a 3-team trade at this point with someone double retaining on Giroux. Maybe get Ottawa involved and they can have Compher?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Of course he moves the needle. And regardless of how much he would tilt the scales in the other direction why even take that chance? Tilt them in your favor instead. It's obviously all just posturing, but if a Giroux-caliber player wants to join you specifically for a run you don't dick around with that advantage.

I agree to an extent. With this market, the highest Sakic should go is Barron + 1st, anything higher and Sakic should walk away. But even then if that's the minimum cost i'd rather Sakic just wait and see how the rest of free agency plays out, because there will be some players that can be had cheap at the TDL.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Basically needs to be a 3-team trade at this point with someone double retaining on Giroux. Maybe get Ottawa involved and they can have Compher?
Retaining on Giroux and taking Compher's contract? :laugh: Melnyk says no.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I agree to an extent. With this market, the highest Sakic should go is Barron + 1st, anything higher and Sakic should walk away. But even then if that's the minimum cost i'd rather Sakic just wait and see how the rest of free agency plays out, because there will be some players that can be had cheap at the TDL.

I don't agree about waiting it out, but I agree with the value. Just gotta throw JT or Jost in there to ease the cap hit. Ideally you don't have to bring a third team into the mix, but they may have to

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
yip the defense concerns me alot even if Byram is good to go I still think they need to add 1 or 2 solid defenders. In short I want Brett kulak and someone else.

Someone made a good point earlier though about how the playoffs should help EJ and JJ. When the refs start letting more and more go is when EJ and JJ should get more effective. Just like how other slow dumb Dmen get better in the post season.

One depth Dman is what we need.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Let's think about this from the Minnesota angle. They're about to be in cap hell. Does this option imply that Giroux has no intention of re-signing with the Avs/Wild/Blues?

Does it make sense that he wants to go to the Wild when, even by adding him, they might still lose to the Avs? And what if the Avs simply make move(s) to counter this? How would this benefit Giroux?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't agree about waiting it out, but I agree with the value. Just gotta throw JT or Jost in there to ease the cap hit. Ideally you don't have to bring a third team into the mix, but they may have to

To me it depends on the ask. If it's Compher/Jost + 1st + Kaut? Do it yesterday. It's when Barron/Helleson starts getting thrown into the mix that i'd prefer waiting unless Sakic knows that Giroux is going to re-sign at a discount.

Reactions: The Merchant

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Never change, Dater.

But actually maybe do. It's probably better for your health.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I’d normally discount anything Dater posts, but with how much scouting Philly has been doing on us and more reliable (to varying degrees) sources stating there being a lot of interest. So I think there’s mutual interest and it sounds like a leaking coming from Philly to drive up the price.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
To me it depends on the ask. If it's Compher/Jost + 1st + Kaut? Do it yesterday. It's when Barron/Helleson starts getting thrown into the mix that i'd prefer waiting unless Sakic knows that Giroux is going to re-sign at a discount.

The NRD person has indicated it's Barron, Ranta, and Jost. I'd do that yesterday but, if they get what they want, there should be some wiggle room from the other side...Compher for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad