Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and FA Part V: To Giroux or not to Giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I'd like to hear why @Pierce Hawthorne thinks Ottawa would have interest in JTC, as per his post in the last thread. Is it to get to the cap floor, or why?

Oh boy! Bring on the Ottawa trade!

giphy.gif

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Every year we have the same high expectations at the deadline only to be disappointed year after year. I think we need to take a step or two back and wait to be proven otherwise.

Sorry but it seems like more might be available this year. It could be more of a buyers market.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I’ll believe Sakic makes a deadline move to actually help the team when I see it.

I hear you. But if he doesn't overpay when it's a limited availability of viable options (eg previous seasons), that's totally justifiable. It's some what different when it's more of a buyers market and there are some quality options available that would help a lot. Having said that, I wouldn't trade any and every prospect.

I also have an open mind. I'd like Giroux/Hertl/Pavelski but it doesn't have to be big game hunting. If they add bottom 6 improvements, that can also really help the team.

I just think it's harder for JS to justify making no moves this year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I hear you. But if he doesn't overpay when it's a limited availability of viable options (eg previous seasons), that's totally justifiable. It's some what different when it's more of a buyers market and there are some quality options available that would help a lot. Having said that, I wouldn't trade any and every prospect.

I also have an open mind. I'd like Giroux/Hertl/Pavelski but it doesn't have to be big game hunting. If they add bottom 6 improvements, that can also really help the team.

I just think it's harder for JS to justify making no moves this year.
It doesn’t have to be a Giroux level player to help the team. I mean he’s added a washed up Brassard, a Soderberg who’s no longer an NHL caliber player, Nemeth(no explanation needed), and Namaste(who was alright) during the peak of our contention window. It’s just so far below what’s been needed to push the team over the edge. A good 3C, an extra bottom 6 guy(particularly someone tough to play against), and a solid dman to play on the bottom pairing have been needed for awhile and he’s done nothing to address that except for getting the cheapest options possible.

Sure he hasn’t overpaid for anyone, but doesn’t Tampa care about overpaying for Coleman and Goodrow? It just doesn’t make sense to add guys that don’t remotely move the needle for the team. If you’re going to add someone make it someone who’s actually going to positively impact the team.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
It doesn’t have to be a Giroux level player to help the team. I mean he’s added a washed up Brassard, a Soderberg who’s no longer an NHL caliber player, Nemeth(no explanation needed), and Namaste(who was alright) during the peak of our contention window. It’s just so far below what’s been needed to push the team over the edge. A good 3C, an extra bottom 6 guy(particularly someone tough to play against), and a solid dman to play on the bottom pairing have been needed for awhile and he’s done nothing to address that except for getting the cheapest options possible.

Sure he hasn’t overpaid for anyone, but doesn’t Tampa care about overpaying for Coleman and Goodrow? It just doesn’t make sense to add guys that don’t remotely move the needle for the team. If you’re going to add someone make it someone who’s actually going to positively impact the team.

Tampa doesn't create an imperative for JS to mimic them by overpaying. It worked for Tampa. It's not a guarantee it will work for Colorado. JS should be doing what makes sense for Colorado.

Yes, Tampa overpaid and it worked for them. But Toronto overpaid for Foligno and it didn't work out so well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

The problem is likely that Sakic thinks those guys were putting us over the top. I hope he's learned his lesson(s).

obZen

Jul 1, 2019
Every year we have the same high expectations at the deadline only to be disappointed year after year. I think we need to take a step or two back and wait to be proven otherwise.

We may have been spoiled by Lacroix.

Reactions: kchan9

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I'd take any ONE of a good 3C, an extra bottom 6 (good at PK or FO) or a solid Dman and consider it a success for JS despite wanting all three. That's just not JS. But make sure it fits those parameters. A Soderberg/Nemeth level acquisition would be inexcusable.

I still think it should be a priority to get a solid Dman. The other two would be fantastic but take care of the basics first.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sakic is in a bit of a tough spot here. Clearly this is the last run with Kadri as an Av... likely Burkie too. The situation in net isn't clear either going forward. This is as clear of a win now season as you can get, but asset wise, Avs lack to the two easiest value pieces in their 1st and 2nd this year to trade. The 1st (and props to AJ and Morgan here) is now listed as conditional on Cap Friendly which means even trading the 2023 1st gets complicated as it is conditional. Now we know it practice the conditions are unlikely to be had, but that uncertainty adds up. Prospects over the past two drafts are not pieces that would typically be the key piece in a big deal. The pieces that the Avs have that would normally be a part are Newhook and Byram. Both of those pieces are pretty critical to making next year as competitive as possible.

TLDR If Sakic can pull a big move while keeping both Byram and Newhook, he'll deserve a lot of credit.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Tampa doesn't create an imperative for JS to mimic them by overpaying. It worked for Tampa. It's not a guarantee it will work for Colorado. JS should be doing what makes sense for Colorado.

Yes, Tampa overpaid and it worked for them. But Toronto overpaid for Foligno and it didn't work out so well.
But at least they’re overpaying for players that fit a role, fill a need, and are effective players. I much rather would’ve added Foligno for a 1st than added Soda and Nemeth for a 7th.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Giroux is kind of a luxury. I much rather secure another D man so JJ and MacDermid are riding the bench in the playoffs. The biggest “acquisition” could be a Byram return.

Yet, this and next year are this core’s best 2 chances to win the Cup. Kinda have to go for needs and luxury items.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Giroux is kind of a luxury. I much rather secure another D man so JJ and MacDermid are riding the bench in the playoffs. The biggest “acquisition” could be a Byram return.

Yet, this and next year are this core’s best 2 chances to win the Cup. Kinda have to go for needs and luxury items.
I’d say last year and this year we’re the two best chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad