Speculation: 2021-22 Sharks Roster Discussion Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I want no part of Kakko personally. Second overalls bust regularly, and he's trending that direction, especially on the rangers. A reclamation project for a 3rd/4th round pick in 2 years, perhaps, but not worth risking significant futures for KK

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I want no part of Kakko personally. Second overalls bust regularly, and he's trending that direction, especially on the rangers. A reclamation project for a 3rd/4th round pick in 2 years, perhaps, but not worth risking significant futures for KK
I disagree. The rangers have seriously under-utilized him. His first year was terrible, but he never should’ve been in the league then.

Will he be the PPG player they drafted for? No he won’t, but he might end up a solid 60 point guy who can score goals and is dirt cheap and young right now

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

This is disappointing. The sharks are so directionless and taking so much time to find a GM that they’re going to not be a realistic option for many quality coaches. Means we’re going to be stuck with another season of Boughner.

I mean in all honesty, we weren’t getting coaches over Vegas.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I mean in all honesty, we weren’t getting coaches over Vegas.
If they value coaching enough to pay for a good one they might. They might have to overpay and make more concessions than other teams but getting a high quality coach should always be a priority.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

This is disappointing. The sharks are so directionless and taking so much time to find a GM that they’re going to not be a realistic option for many quality coaches. Means we’re going to be stuck with another season of Boughner.

I'm personally at a point where I don't think this team is going anywhere. The culture at the top seems pretty f***ed to me and it's going to trickle down. I hold out a small bit of hope that they could luck out despite bad decisions preceding it but it gets bleaker and bleaker with each new situation that arises.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yea probably, but it's still concerning that this franchise keeps passing on proven and well-known entities to either try to outsmart the rest of the league or have people come in to be Hasso's yes men.
Jeez im frustrated about a lot of this process too but no matter who they pick, they won't make anybody here happy. We don't want a retread, but we're angry they aren't going with a proven...GM(?). We want a new voice but not someone new and inexperienced as a GM. You guys are already assuming that whoever comes in will be a toesucking lapdog if they're an unproven GM, which is every candidate on the list. If they really wanted a true yes man, they would have picked some schmuck months ago. It doesn't make sense to spend 6 months to find a guy who says "sure boss"

It sucks that some good coaches are available right now but it'd be worse if they just hired a random guy to maybe get a new coach that may or may not get you where you want while the schmuck GM doesn't build a team.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Jeez im frustrated about a lot of this process too but no matter who they pick, they won't make anybody here happy. We don't want a retread, but we're angry they aren't going with a proven...GM(?). We want a new voice but not someone new and inexperienced as a GM. You guys are already assuming that whoever comes in will be a toesucking lapdog if they're an unproven GM, which is every candidate on the list. If they really wanted a true yes man, they would have picked some schmuck months ago. It doesn't make sense to spend 6 months to find a guy who says "sure boss"

It sucks that some good coaches are available right now but it'd be worse if they just hired a random guy to maybe get a new coach that may or may not get you where you want while the schmuck GM doesn't build a team.
A group of people want everything all at once. That's why it's not all that productive to have these discussions speaking in generalities. We all want the team to win but the way that one goes about doing that is infinite in its possibilities. There is a group of Sharks fans that are happy with any and every decision they make regardless of the evidence. There's an argument to be made that the person they're looking for is someone that isn't going to make significant change in a time where the team probably needs to make significant change just to get them to a point where they can build effectively towards being playoff competitive.

I'm not terribly worried about the coaching position. I don't think Boughner is a good coach but I see some good qualities and good arguments for his being retained but the other side of that has some convincing arguments for the opposite. I think their problems still stem with who makes the hockey decisions above that coach. I think Boughner can be kept while the team is still in a state of transition or flux or whatever you want to call this likely state of continued mediocrity. Getting the right GM is probably the most important decision Hasso will ever make. He could get it right for the wrong reasons. I hope that's the case. I just don't like at all how this process has been executed and I have an issue with the idea that a new GM is immediately being restrained in what they're going to be allowed to do. Like there are some reasonable restraints from an owner for a position like this but I think they tipped their hand that they don't want much happening initially from a new hire.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

I agree we are probably pessimistic, but more time doesn’t mean a better hire. In the end whoever gets hired is the person Becher and Will want, and cleary they are placing value on traits that we as fans don’t particularly care about, so it’s okay to be a little frustrated with the process.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
….. In the end whoever gets hired is the person Becher and Will want…
I don’t believe that at all. Hasso is going to make the final decision.

We have no idea who the finalists are because the Sharks don’t want us to know. We have no idea who else is on the hiring committee because the Sharks don’t want us to know. It’s much better to accept that we don’t really know the details of what’s happening than overreact to the little bit of information we are getting from the press.

My guess is Hasso brought in a couple of old experienced hockey guys. Maybe an ex GM, or ex owner, or someone who worked for the league for a long time. Add in a executive from a successful non hockey franchise like the Patriots or Liverpool and definitely use an outside hiring firm to vet the candidates. Those are just guesses but it certain that there is much more being done than is public knowledge.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I don't think it's a question of overreacting, it just comes across like the organization has a very cavalier attitude about running the franchise right now.
I'm going to try, for now, to remain on the side of believing that this GM search is thorough for a very good reason--that they know how important it is to find the right person for the job and they're taking their time to make sure they get it right.

I'm simultaneously skeptical that they'll actually hire the right person, and I think it's important that this person is in place by the draft (not for the draft, per se, but more for the trade opportunities to be had there, and then for free agency), but the thoroughness of this search doesn't strike me as cavalier, at least.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

I actually don't think it's that hard for me to explain what I want in a GM. I don't want a retread like JFJ who has proven he sucks. I don't want a super green GM with almost no experience like Weekes or Whitney because they will be "yes men" to the existing old regime (Will/Burke as an extension of Hasso/Becher). I want an AGM with experience, especially from a successful front office like Colorado, Carolina, or Tampa Bay. That list of candidates isn't difficult to come up with: MacFarland, Darche, Tulsky. Those would be great candidates. Martin from the Rangers would be solid as well.

Reactions: themelkman

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Yea probably, but it's still concerning that this franchise keeps passing on proven and well-known entities to either try to outsmart the rest of the league or have people come in to be Hasso's yes men.
Who exactly are the Sharks passing on?

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
if DW was truly #Shark4Life, it wouldn't surprise me that the Sharks are doing exactly what DW suggested they do in the event of his departure

DW was known to spam kicking tires around the league when shopping/shopping for players and wait for years for the player he wanted to become available, so maybe he suggested to the team they take the same approach for GMs, in which case a lot of candidates and waiting until they can talk to cup finalist team employees makes sense

Reactions: landshark

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I disagree. The rangers have seriously under-utilized him. His first year was terrible, but he never should’ve been in the league then.

Will he be the PPG player they drafted for? No he won’t, but he might end up a solid 60 point guy who can score goals and is dirt cheap and young right now

Define your idea of “dirt cheap”. Nothing being proposed in this thread right now sounds like “dirt cheap” considering the high lack of certainty in him becoming that 60+ point player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad