GDT: 2021-22 season game 80 LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:30pm

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It's only worse because Arty had to chase that coward down. It wasn't just jostling. It was a two handed upward motion cross-check to the face. That wasn't an accident or a hockey play. Then he skates away like a little bitch. Nobody got injured so I doubt anything of real consequence happens, but you can get a concussion just as easily getting hit in the face than you can in the back of the head.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Think its irrelevant actually- Mahura is crosschecking upwards directly to Kaliyevs face. Maybe a debatable bit of hockey philosophy but both were worthy of the match penalty. Once again agree to disagree but the whole sequence can be seen here around the 2 minute mark. And my point here being- why is crosschecking a player to the face somehow less severe than the back of the head? You can make the arguement the back of the head while wearing a helmet is more protected than the facial area.

It's so funny how they reviewed the major, and concluded that Mahura's crosscheck to the chops was only a rough and nothing more. It's like they didn't even look at it, and fast forwarded ahead to Kaliev's crosscheck.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Wow....he admits Mahura crosschecked an opponent to the face- but somehow the retaliation was worse?

Why is a crosscheck to the face considered less severe then crosscheck to the back of the head?
Hey, those fans might not be half bad. Half their bitching was about Jim Fox which is a legit gripe. They had me at that until one of them mentioned that Hayward was better.

Also the tin foil hat meme made me piss myself laughing because it is so true.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
Kaliyev continues to be my favorite prospect since he was drafted. What a f***ing beauty.
Same here. There are going to be a lot of teams kicking themselves for passing on him. I'm going to say it now: He will be our first 40-goal scorer since what seems like an eternity ago. Hopefully he and Byfield continue to develop good chemistry.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Think its irrelevant actually- Mahura is crosschecking upwards directly to Kaliyevs face. Maybe a debatable bit of hockey philosophy but both were worthy of the match penalty. Once again agree to disagree but the whole sequence can be seen here around the 2 minute mark. And my point here being- why is crosschecking a player to the face somehow less severe than the back of the head? You can make the arguement the back of the head while wearing a helmet is more protected than the facial area.

I don't disagree that Mahura's deserving of a match penalty.

Kaliyev's is worse because he went after him and retaliated, and could exert more force with the distance covered and nowhere near the puck.

Mahura and Kaliyev were tied up and he aimed high to break away and disengage.

If the roles were reversed, would you really argue that Mahura's chase and retaliation was less dangerous?

Reactions: BringTheReign

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Let's put it this way. If Trevor Zegras was in Arty's position and it was Lemieux on the other side? What do you think the narrative would be? That being said this whole thought process that the infraction inflicted on Arty was a minor and his was a match penalty is ridiculous.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Nice to see how the younger players are showing passion, newer players, and older players.

Kempe getting up immediately up off the bench when Kaliyev got his is something you love to see.

Byfield immediately jumping on Getzlaf no hesitation is amazing.

Danault with these poetic quotes is really really good. Leadership fully.

Quick looking stoked to be going to the playoffs is going to be a hard one to beat. All things you’d love to see that paints a broader picture.

I know a lot of Oilers fans think the Kings will be a cakewalk. But I don’t think the Kings will go down that easily.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Nice to see how the younger players are showing passion, newer players, and older players.

Kempe getting up immediately up off the bench when Kaliyev got his is something you love to see.

Quick looking stoked to be going to the playoffs is going to be a hard one to beat. All things you’d love to see that paints a broader picture.

I know a lot of Oilers fans think the Kings will be a cakewalk. But I don’t think the Kings will go down that easily.

Teams won’t be happy to face Danault and Kopitar for 40 minutes a night, especially when refs are swallowing their whistles.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Let's put it this way. If Trevor Zegras was in Arty's position and it was Lemieux on the other side? What do you think the narrative would be? That being said this whole thought process that the infraction inflicted on Arty was a minor and his was a match penalty is ridiculous.
If any player retaliated and cross-checked the back of the head, I would say it is worse than the initial upward crosscheck to the face.

That doesn't mean Mahura's was a minor and Kaliyev's was a major. Both deserved 5+.

But Kaliyev's is worse in my opinion.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Quick>>>>>Smith
They might not be able to stop those two centers, but if they can slow them down, frustrate them like they were last year, I like our chances.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Teams won’t be happy to face Danault and Kopitar for 40 minutes a night, especially when refs are swallowing their whistles.

Quick>>>>>Smith
They might not be able to stop those two centers, but if they can slow them down, frustrate them like they were last year, I like our chances.

If the regular season is any indication it’s going to be a real challenge for Kopitar and Danault to contain McDavid and Draisaitl. They haven’t been able to do that in those big games. But the playoffs tend to be a different animal. So let’s hope Kopitar and Danault can find another gear. Especially Byfield stepping up more would be a big deal

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Oilers are 23-8-3 since the coaching change.

Edmonton has one of the best PP's in the NHL, and that might end up being the difference in the series.

We're feeling good right now because of the 4 straight wins, but they were eeked out wins against crap teams.

I think we can give the Oilers some problems, but the chances of beating them are extremely low IMO.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Yeah not the time to go tripping over our dicks. If we can make it a 6-7 game series I would be happy. If we win awesome… our special teams better transform overnight if we are going to have a chance. That IMHO is the only thing holding this team back from being a legitimate threat in any series.

Then again if we get God mode Quick we could very well win the cup. Hot goalie and balanced scoring in the playoffs is always the golden ticket to the finals!

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I just have a hard time seeing the Kings beat the oilers considering the fact they played pretty poorly against them recently in massive games so I don’t see there being a big change in intensity from both teams for me to think there is some kind of hidden gears the Kings have been hiding in their massive meets

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I just have a hard time seeing the Kings beat the oilers considering the fact they played pretty poorly against them recently in massive games so I don’t see there being a big change in intensity from both teams for me to think there is some kind of hidden gears the Kings have been hiding in their massive meets

77HrEWa.gif

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

At 1:38 just look how crazy strong Carter was and fast. That shits insane to have such size and speed. Made Lindholm his bitch and didn’t lose a step doing so.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
See I don't even disagree on Kaliyev, they got that one right.

But Mahura has no business even facing Kaliyev there. The puck was long gone, he was obviously upset/premeditated after getting dumped and then embarassed after losing the puck battle, and drove his stick up through Kaliyev's face. It wasn't 'incidental' or a 'battle' or whatever narrative, he's not just checking Kaliyev off the puck and "oops it rode up," he's facing Kaliyev solely to pop him in the jaw and then turns tail and runs.

I'm glad Kaliyev popped him just as I am glad Beagle wrecked Terry and Zegras will get his too, these f***ing kids are running around unaccountable and TZ in particular is letting everyone fight his battles for him, even Getzlaf came to Mahura's rescue here, make no mistake Mahura knew what he was doing. I'm glad to know that even without Lemieux there (and you'd better believe the Ducks noted that) that Arthur was comfortable enough saying f*** you, no you don't get away with that, and that Byfield didn't even flinch about grabbing Getzlaf. That's honestly gigantic progress imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad