GDT: 2021-22 season game 80 LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:30pm

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
If they could get QB to stop doing drivebys and just plaster a few dudes, I think they'd have an even better shot.

You can tell when Kaliyev gets in on the forecheck now he doesn't give guys free outs. He's not a bruiser, but he hits, and he hits to separate. he's been causing some major turnovers.

If Byfield could start incorporating at least that--and not even ALL the time, even just like 50% of the time!--the d would absolutely start shitting themselves. With his reach, closing speed, and size, he doesn't even really need to crush to get the puck--but you'd better believe if he starts throwing hits like he did on the first shift last game, guys will start hearing footsteps and it'll open up his game that much more.

I bring this up in response to your statement because I have this vision where the 4th line is barely playing then all of a sudden Byfield is in on the forecheck laying out Barrie and getting the puck to Kaliyev for a snipe. I'd also like to think that's what the coaches are looking for more of when he's on the 3rd/4th lines.

If Byfield can become even remotely physical on the forecheck, he'll be an absolute monster to deal with. He's in the top 5% in the NHL in o-zone recoveries already.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad