GDT: 2021-22 season game 77 LA Kings vs Columbus Blue Jackets @7:30pm 4/16/22

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
There were a lot of empty seats at the game. Sorry I wasn't shouting loud enough for y'all's satisfaction.
* Moverare is a solid and calming presence.
* Kopitar telegraphs all his passes on the pp, and they're all safe. Safe doesn't get you much.
* AA had a lot of potential scoring chances, but kept flubbing the puck. I imagine he was rusty. I say don't give up on him on that line yet.
* Roy at least brings it physically.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
edb476c4-f2a6-4865-b3e9-0574c4773d13_text.gif

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
This is one of those wins that don't feel good at all. It does nothing to inspire hope or confidence.

Just a bland shit game that could have gone either way.
You’re just being negative. Kings won in an awe inspiring performance against one of the top teams in the league in a must win game. Haters smh

Reactions: johnjm22

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
There were a lot of empty seats at the game. Sorry I wasn't shouting loud enough for y'all's satisfaction.
* Kopitar telegraphs all his passes on the pp, and they're all safe. Safe doesn't get you much.
* AA had a lot of potential scoring chances, but kept flubbing the puck. I imagine he was rusty. I say don't give up on him on that line yet.

Funny you mentioned there were a lot of empty seats. Tonight was the first "sell-out" of the season

Reactions: ibleedkings

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I think the dead crowds are attributed to a) not exciting scoring a lot of goals hockey b) nobody knows what this team is, everybody waiting for the other shoe to drop. Playing great hockey and winning a bunch to getting blown out losing steaks. Which is the real team?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
1st line got clapped all night as expected, they basically all took on AA's identity, take a rush chance and suck on defense, pray for a goal. It was only surprising that they got bailed out by quick and that AA didn't get his token 'return game' points.

First line outshot their opponents 11-9 and out High dangered their opponents 10-5.
"Got clapped."
Please, bro.

As good as the Danault line was last night, they gave up the only goal against and their goal came after allowing a pretty dangerous opportunity in the slot.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
1st line got clapped all night as expected, they basically all took on AA's identity, take a rush chance and suck on defense, pray for a goal. It was only surprising that they got bailed out by quick and that AA didn't get his token 'return game' points.

Danault line is an absolute machine and about the only reason we're winning games. It's so funny watching them play on a different planet than the Kopitar line at this point. bubble hockey vs. dynamic hockey.

Lizotte line looked okay-ish for the most part, faded as game went along but Lizotte was still generating through aggression, they didn't play much. Iafallo looks better in this role, seems a little more energetic, and bless Brownie for channeling his old self for at least much of the first period.

Kaliyev was actually really beefy tonight and Kupari was alright, Lemeiux still isn't 'back' from his injury though. But I def. though Kaliyev earned more minutes, he was making good puck protection plays and sealing dudes off with checks...

Roy, like Lemeiux, not all the way 'back' from injury and if history is any indication it's gonna take him some time. He did make some killer shot blocks though and had his stick in Laine's shooting lane at all times. Edler is similar, a little shaky at times but at least isn't giving up much on defense.

Maatta is a roller coaster again lately but tonight he was good. Plus he stole Voracek's nose and I still can't stop laughing about how you miss an airborne puck so badly you grab someone's face.

I thought Durzi looked a lot stronger tonight, minutes peeled back probably helped. But Spence...absolute beast.

And definitley thank Quick for a vintage performance, that was some 2012 ish with the lack of run support. Hope he can go on a little run here.

everyone looked bad in the 1-3-1 though, yay tm /partyhorn

Edit: Oh and Kopitar 22 minutes, Kaliyev 9, for those that are keeping track of that sort of thing. 'Meritocracy' indeed.
That first line was a tire fire, all individual effort without any semblance of team hockey.
First line outshot their opponents 11-9 and out High dangered their opponents 10-5.
"Got clapped."
Please, bro.

As good as the Danault line was last night, they gave up the only goal against and their goal came after allowing a pretty dangerous opportunity in the slot.
Shots in a vacuum are a somewhat useful stat.

Shots when taken into context with possession or zone time usually tell another story, however, and that line had almost zero sustained pressure. Like RJ said, they were content to play selfish hockey for a one-and-done chance all night long, and let the D & goaltending figure out the counter attack.

Works sometimes against a team like Columbus, works about never against teams like Colorado or Minnesota.

CLAPPED.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
This thread is hella weird to read.

The Kings seem like a success story this year no matter what happens and I don't know why some of ya'll are so negative about your team...
What an interesting observation from an outsider...

Reactions: David Lunch

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That first line was a tire fire, all individual effort without any semblance of team hockey.

Shots when taken into context or possession or zone time usually tell another story, however, and that line had almost zero sustained pressure. Like RJ said, they were content to play selfish hockey for a one-and-done chance all night long, and let the D & goaltending figure out the counter attack.

Works sometimes against a team like Columbus, works about never against teams like Colorado or Minnesota.

CLAPPED.
Baloney.
Out shot them.
And got the best scoring chances ,
Punishing team for "blocked shots" or shots wide? That's a glaringly bad use of "advanced" stats.

1650210487663.png

1650210534619.png

They did the clapping.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Baloney.
Out shot them.
And got the best scoring chances ,
Punishing team for "blocked shots" or shots wide? That's a glaringly bad use of "advanced" stats.

They did the clapping

No, a glaringly bad use of 'advanced' stats is including powerplay numbers in your numbers. You know these things are fact-checkable, right?

I wasn't even looking at advanced stats until you brought them up but since you did, here's what actually happened at even strength, which matches the eye test:

Since you were makng a big deal about shot blocks, notice that Fenwick is even worse.

It's not a big deal, it's what you expect when you add AA to a line--tank the possession, get more dangerous chances. It's just bad when mixed with Anze right now.

1650212145467.png

Yeah, I'd say negative 12 percent shot share relative is "clapped." Sorry. Edit: oh, and that's with the softest starts on the team and the line as a whole with 20+ minutes to do something productive. We come after the kids when they don't do much with their time, I'd expect someone fair to hold veterans to the same standard.

Frankly regardless of the advanced stats the description was very, very visible.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Shots when taken into context with possession or zone time usually tell another story, however, and that line had almost zero sustained pressure. Like RJ said, they were content to play selfish hockey for a one-and-done chance all night long, and let the D & goaltending figure out the counter attack.

CLAPPED.

The tendency for all three to get caught in deep and give up an oddman break was rough, usually they'd have Iafallo hanging back since Kopi is too slow and Kempe buries himself with speed, but it was like having two Kempes and neither could get back. They were very fortunate Quick was on it last night and that Laine was very very much NOT on it.

Frankly that line looked about the way it did with Colorado, just results commensurate with the level of the opponent.

Anze is f***ing toast.

Reactions: Trash Panda

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And frankly for the season and possibly going into the playoffs and next season, this is the elephant in the room that Todd and co refuse to address, and it's a problem

1650212702593.png

Sorted by 5v5 GF%

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
They sure make winning at home difficult. I bet if this was on the road it's a 4-1 win. But, 2 points is still 2 points and we increased our lead over Vegas. Now about the 4 on 3 pp....😬

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
No, a glaringly bad use of 'advanced' stats is including powerplay numbers in your numbers. You know these things are fact-checkable, right?

I wasn't even looking at advanced stats until you brought them up but since you did, here's what actually happened at even strength, which matches the eye test:

Since you were makng a big deal about shot blocks, notice that Fenwick is even worse.

It's not a big deal, it's what you expect when you add AA to a line--tank the possession, get more dangerous chances. It's just bad when mixed with Anze right now.

View attachment 532123

Yeah, I'd say negative 12 percent shot share relative is "clapped." Sorry. Edit: oh, and that's with the softest starts on the team and the line as a whole with 20+ minutes to do something productive. We come after the kids when they don't do much with their time, I'd expect someone fair to hold veterans to the same standard.

Frankly regardless of the advanced stats the description was very, very visible.
I dont really get into advanced stats just watch the games. But I thought Kempe and AA had a little chemistry and while they didnt connect you could see they are somewhat on the same page. It was Kopitar looking like a drag giving up possession in the offensive zone and not in sync. Hes been ok with losing every race to a puck in the d zone as long as he has inside position on his man.

Reactions: David Lunch

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I dont really get into advanced stats just watch the games. But I thought Kempe and AA had a little chemistry and while they didnt connect you could see they are somewhat on the same page. It was Kopitar looking like a drag giving up possession in the offensive zone and not in sync. Hes been ok with losing every race to a puck in the d zone as long as he has inside position on his man.

I think what kept that line from being more dangerous was AA bobbling pucks and miscommunications on defense in addition to Anze's struggles. But that was my point before the game--AA is a chaos machine, you add him, you know what you get, and you'd better have someone spying defense. Hell there was a shift when they were buried in our zone and when Kempe finally got the puck over the blueline AA had already flown the zone and was at the other blueline :laugh: they can't all be checkers and its' nice to stretch the rink and keep people honest, he just needs to pick his spots better.

But if they're not going to add the kids back to the lineup (ugh), may as well keep that line together and see if anything develops.

I don't see the chemistry, though. If anything they look a bit out of sync to me which makes sense when they've never played together. Hard to see chemistry though when AA has 10 steps and half a rink to find a wide open kempe all alone in the high slot and he simply doesn't even try/see him.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I think what kept that line from being more dangerous was AA bobbling pucks and miscommunications on defense in addition to Anze's struggles. But that was my point before the game--AA is a chaos machine, you add him, you know what you get, and you'd better have someone spying defense. Hell there was a shift when they were buried in our zone and when Kempe finally got the puck over the blueline AA had already flown the zone and was at the other blueline :laugh: they can't all be checkers and its' nice to stretch the rink and keep people honest, he just needs to pick his spots better.

But if they're not going to add the kids back to the lineup (ugh), may as well keep that line together and see if anything develops.

I don't see the chemistry, though. If anything they look a bit out of sync to me which makes sense when they've never played together. Hard to see chemistry though when AA has 10 steps and half a rink to find a wide open kempe all alone in the high slot and he simply doesn't even try/see him.
Yea chemistry wasnt the right word to use. They had a couple decent looks is the reality of it. They looked pretty much like the same exact team with and without the kids in the lineup. You have a couple lines getting a ton of ice time and the rest is pretty plug and play Todds system in your 9-12 minutes of icetime. Kupari and Kaliyev played well enough to get more time I thought. Lemieux is still in a bit of a funk.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

I loved AA's spin and cut in the offensive zone, I think it was in the third period. He lost the puck unfortunately, but he had a great move to shield the puck then cut in towards the net and shook two defenders in the process. Wish I had a clip of it.

I think AA looked good with Kopitar and Kempe. Probably the best we can hope for right now.

Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
AA - Kopitar - Kempe
Iafallo - Lizotte - Brown

Removing the "I wish the kids were playing more important roles" emotions from the conversation, it's not a terrible top nine. We're just really feeling an absence of a third (or fourth I guess) line and have been all season.

It's too late to send down Kupari, Kaliyev, Byfield, and Vilardi I believe since they can't play in Ontario anymore this season, but if we had, we could be rolling out Lemieux - Tynan - Frk as a fourth line and truly let the kids get their reps in in Ontario.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00