GDT: 2021-22 season game 76 LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @6:30pm 4/13/22

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
PP never has a back door option.

Both points are at the blue line.

Are we watching the same PP? Their set up is an umbrella type with one man in the corner and a bumper type high slot or in font of of the net, you will see movement up to the point, but those shift depending on the side the puck goes on

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It does take some balls to deliberately ignore the post that pointed out he's PPG since moving to the top line after 3 points in his last 15 on the 4th.
The whole narrative of "young players get ruined if you even think of putting them on the top line" looks really stupid.

The funny thing is, people COULD have argued that starting him on the fourth line got him ready to succeed on the top-six. I would have disagreed, since we will never see what happened had he started in the top-six. But at least it could have been discussed.

But the agenda has been so anti-youth in key roles that they'd rather blame a rookie than admit the experienced people may have made an error in judgment.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Sooo....just like NYR, who Col blew the doors off? Or is it like Col who Tor blew the doors off?

Complete overreaction on one game
I don't think people are overreacting.

Cal has massive problems even with his basics now.
Most of his goals against are where the puck slides under his pads while not playing butterfly right.
Just look at Quick, as soon as there is even a remote chance a puck will be shot, his pads are glued to the ice.

I was a real Cal supporter even defending his new contract.
But right now he looks like not NHL ready, which is bad being already 25.
Goalies who don't have their basics down, don't make it far in the NHL.
These day it's enough, to be a huge guy playing butterfly to a T, to be a solid goaltender.
Maybe the Kings should draft with this in mind
We need someone like Vasilevsky, who just sits butterfly 100% of the game and just moves sideways a couple of inches

Reactions: kinghock

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Most of his goals against are where the puck slides under his pads while not playing butterfly right.
Just look at Quick, as soon as there is even a remote chance a puck will be shot, his pads are glued to the ice.

These day it's enough, to be a huge guy playing butterfly to a T, to be a solid goaltender.
We need someone like Vasilevsky, who just sits butterfly 100% of the game and just moves sideways a couple of inches

My point was, that teams get blown out, COL got blown out, does that mean Keumper is done with?

There's not a single team in the league, that has not been blown out at one point or another (keep in mind I didn't fact check that, so there might be 1 or 2) but blowouts happen,

The overreaction is going, see, omg, our goalies aren't reliable.....yet those same goalies, stole a few games this season as well.....

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
TM baffles me. Why is Stetcher even playing? Against bigger teams he sits Strand?

Vilardi and Byfield are obviously struggling. Back to the AHL.

Why is Brown even in the lineup? Most of his draft class are retired.

Why are Grunstrom and Lemieux sitting?

The team is so soft even if we make the playoffs we will steamrolled by Calgary and Minny. Blake has steered away from the Lombardi style teams too far. The entire system is clogged with small skill. The only tough player is Helenius and he doesn’t even have a pro fight.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I liked the beginning of the 2nd and Roy laying out Byram. Other than that, glad I was working with it on in the back. Felt bad for Quick being hung out, Cal comes in and lets in a softy right away.

I think if we squeak into the playoffs it's Quick's net to lose.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
TM baffles me. Why is Stetcher even playing? Against bigger teams he sits Strand?

Vilardi and Byfield are obviously struggling. Back to the AHL.

Why is Brown even in the lineup? Most of his draft class are retired.

Why are Grunstrom and Lemieux sitting?

The team is so soft even if we make the playoffs we will steamrolled by Calgary and Minny. Blake has steered away from the Lombardi style teams too far. The entire system is clogged with small skill. The only tough player is Helenius and he doesn’t even have a pro fight.

He baffles me too but for other reason. Vilardi I thought has been noticeable in a good way recently. Same with QB, he was one of few skating hard yesterday.
Brown has been back for two games. One he was very good in and then a shit show of one last night (don't think he was the worst guy out there last night either, but the game is wright off).
Lemieux looked like shit coming back. I think he needs more time.

I keep wondering WTF Iafallo is on the first PP (or any PP for that matter). I like Iafallo but he should be a third line winger. who kills penalties. At least he has been on the third line the last couple of games.

Agree that this team is soft but they're especially soft on D. They are small and cannot clear the crease and get pushed around. Hopefully some of the D can bulk up cause it is needed. I hope Mason is a top target this off season as I doubt Colorado can re-sign him and maybe he would like to come back to California.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I said previously that this team was very much a "won't surprise me if they win big or if they get blown out" against almost any team in the league on any given night. Well...that's over.

When the injury apocalypse occurred, I kind of said they were f***ed. Kudos to them for stealing points against Florida, Boston and the road games in Edmonton and Calgary. The home win against Nashville too (of course, Wife's birthday that night so I didn't go to that game but have pretty much been to all of these home losses the past month).

It couldn't last though. They just don't have enough at all levels: forward/defense/goalie. If all three levels play a great game they can hang with playoff caliber teams but we are seeing what happens if even one of these levels plays poorly and--in the case of the Seattle/Minnesota/Colorado games--what happens when all three levels collapse.

It's not an overreaction to one game when you compare these teams and see how far away the Kings are from contending. Most teams are overmatched against Colorado but the Kings were when Doughty, Anderson and anyone else that's injured was playing. There isn't a MacKinnon or Makar in sight when we look at our prospect pool right now except maybe squinting at Byfield and Clarke.

Ad nauseum like most things said on this board, but Byfield and Blake's off-seasons are of utmost importance. We'll be in Year 5 of the rebuild next season and Blake has already had five drafts in which multiple forwards have been taken throughout the first two rounds. The only real contribution from any of them at this point is Kaliyev. That's a big problem.

This team has way more youth on it, but this is very much a Rob Blake type of Kings team like the 2000 squad. Top heavy with those guys being 27 and older (at least Kempe is 25) and we pretty much have a Fiset/Storr goaltending tandem. Makes sense since I think that a large portion of that team is running the franchise now. Taylor didn't have the prospects that Blake supposedly has and he flipped his best one to get Ziggy. Blake is going to have to figure out who to flip and who to keep or else we're destined for mediocrity.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
What a clown show to witness live. I've been dating this lady 2 months and took her to the game - her first game. She probably still does not understand offsides or icing....but she was astute at what she saw between the two teams.
"LA is very small, looks weak, cannot control the puck or play...the goalie looks like he has no confidence. Who is the leader of this team? (lol) I can see the Avs seem to have leaders...they have cohesion and look like they are very skilled at all parts of the game. They are much bigger and control the puck and everything they do""

She then asked, "why don't you switch teams...you live here"
lol, well as true as that is, if you had watched the same teams play in 2012-2014, you could say the same thing in reverse. They are just two teams at very different stages of development.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Glad I turned the game off after 2 goals and watched The Last Kingdom instead.
What season are you on ? I finished the show. Great show.
What a clown show to witness live. I've been dating this lady 2 months and took her to the game - her first game. She probably still does not understand offsides or icing....but she was astute at what she saw between the two teams.
"LA is very small, looks weak, cannot control the puck or play...the goalie looks like he has no confidence. Who is the leader of this team? (lol) I can see the Avs seem to have leaders...they have cohesion and look like they are very skilled at all parts of the game. They are much bigger and control the puck and everything they do""

She then asked, "why don't you switch teams...you live here"
I like how your girlfriend can read the Kings like a book while Todd just throws shit against the wall and prays for it to work. You should keep that lady, she’s asking the right questions. Kings have no leadership, coaching , they’re p***yes, and the team is going into the ground 1000 mph. Consider changing teams lol
Both goalies have played well at various parts of the season, but let's be realistic: Quick's 2.72 GAA (19th in the league) and .906 SV% (29th in the league) is better than Petersen's 2.90 GAA (28th in the league) and .895 SV% (49th in the league), and neither is desirable.

The Kings have reliable goaltending in that they'll give below-average stats most games.
I didn’t think Quick was a good goalie for a while so I’m sure you can imagine my surprise when I came to the conclusion that Cal is a terrible goalie and that Quick is better.

Kings have a very mediocre goaltending.

Todd needs to go

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC

Petersen turns 28 a couple weeks after next training camp.

Reactions: kilowatt

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
What season are you on ? I finished the show. Great show.

Last episode of Season 4. I've been marathoning it since Friday because I heard it was a great show and has an excellent ending to the series. Really enjoying it. Certainly more than watching the Kings get humped for another 2+ hours after watching them give up 2 quick goals to start the game last night.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Are we watching the same PP? Their set up is an umbrella type with one man in the corner and a bumper type high slot or in font of of the net, you will see movement up to the point, but those shift depending on the side the puck goes on
Kopi always gets it and looks for that back door play only to have Kempe at the blueline. Yes there are attempts at movement but the kings are so predictable. The last few games its been a forward and defenseman pasted at the blue line taking shots. It was a stark difference to the Avs powerplay but their personnel is insane in comparison. Kings a bunch of third liners with a few second liners sprinkled in this year.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
02/28: BOS 7-0
03/12: SJ 5-0
03/19: VGK 5-1
03/28: SEA 6-1
03/10: MIN 6-3
03/13: COL 9-3

these aren't normal outcomes for a team that is top 3 in its division fighting for home ice advantage nearing the post-season

this isn't even normal for a bottom team that is disqualified; as they usually do better after elimination/trade deadline since the pressure is off, and players fighting for roster spots and/or contract renewals

no, these scores usually occur to a poser team at the beginning up to mid way of a season (i.e. MTL, ARZ, SEA, BUF, etc.)

what is happening to LA is just abnormal and a result of bad management

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Last episode of Season 4. I've been marathoning it since Friday because I heard it was a great show and has an excellent ending to the series. Really enjoying it. Certainly more than watching the Kings get humped for another 2+ hours after watching them give up 2 quick goals to start the game last night.
Lol definitely getting jumped indeed. I think the last season is good in its own ways. The only thing I think the show misses is Alfred’s really good acting. There’s some aspects of season 5 that I really dislike. The first few episodes are just a subplot so I think that took away from the main plot and how they wrapped up the show

Reactions: cyclones22

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
02/28: BOS 7-0
03/12: SJ 5-0
03/19: VGK 5-1
03/28: SEA 6-1
03/10: MIN 6-3
03/13: COL 9-3

these aren't normal outcomes for a team that is top 3 in its division fighting for home ice advantage nearing the post-season

this isn't even normal for a bottom team that is disqualified; as they usually do better after elimination/trade deadline since the pressure is off, and players fighting for roster spots and/or contract renewals

no, these scores usually occur to a poser team at the beginning up to mid way of a season (i.e. MTL, ARZ, SEA, BUF, etc.)

what is happening to LA is just abnormal and a result of bad management

Talk about holy cherry picking batman.....

You say those aren't normal.....ok...see what happens when you cherry pick stupid shit?

Thu, Feb 24@VancouverVancouverL7-130-14-6MarkstromMangiapane

Sat, Mar 26@CalgaryCalgaryL9-536-25-5

Tue, Apr 12@MinnesotaMinnesotaL5-142-26-6

Tue, Apr 12vsBuffaloBuffaloL5-247-20-6

Mon, Apr 4vsTorontoTorontoL6-2
Sat, Apr 9vsWashingtonWashingtonL6-3

Tue, Mar 22@New JerseyNew JerseyL7-4

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My point was, that teams get blown out, COL got blown out, does that mean Keumper is done with?

There's not a single team in the league, that has not been blown out at one point or another (keep in mind I didn't fact check that, so there might be 1 or 2) but blowouts happen,

The overreaction is going, see, omg, our goalies aren't reliable.....yet those same goalies, stole a few games this season as well.....

They've VERY RARELY even had quality starts, much less stolen a lot of games.

And to react to how the goalies have played lately isn't a hot take:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Quick won his second cup when he was 28.
Petersen has been getting his cheeks clapped ever since he joined the Kings. This season has been unrelenting clapping. That’s progress in a way. Bad progress.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

LOL, oh shit, when the teams top 4 D take a hit, the goalies suck? f***ing what a surprise....

No, they haven't stolen A LOT of games, they have some, and vice versa, they haven't been BLOWN out a loto f games....they have some....

That's why it's a horseshit hot take.....

Tell me how good Freddy Anderson would be in Carolina without their top 4 D for a long stretch....there's a reason he wasn't resigned in Toronto......

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Obviously you’re just an egg head detractor and a troll who doesn’t understand the genius of Todd Mclellan okay? Take a look at the standings weirdo and know you’re blessed by the Koala himself.

Petersen last in the NHL in save percentage loooool. And funnily enough kings broadcast loves
To talk about how the kings don’t let high danger scoring chances as the one thing they have to talk positively about. Yet our boy Cal is looking worse than Dan Cloutier.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
LOL, oh shit, when the teams top 4 D take a hit, the goalies suck? f***ing what a surprise....

No, they haven't stolen A LOT of games, they have some, and vice versa, they haven't been BLOWN out a loto f games....they have some....

That's why it's a horseshit hot take.....

Tell me how good Freddy Anderson would be in Carolina without their top 4 D for a long stretch....there's a reason he wasn't resigned in Toronto......

That's not the point at all.

The point is that we're getting sub .900 goaltending. No matter what the reason is, when people say "the goaltending isn't holding up," they're absolutely right. Sure, we can rationalize it all day--anyone losing Drew Doughty is gonna take a beating. But the fact is that neither goalie has had a monster save-the-team performance since then either and there are a whole lot of softies contributing to those issues.

That being said most nights goaltending isn't THE issue, but it also has not been a solution, and is, for the first time in a while, a question that needs at least a pending answer in a short period of time.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I guess it's too much to ask for not to have the worst goaltending in the league in over a month. Being in the lowest rung of goaltending and in a class with Chicago and Montreal should be expected when you invest over $10M into your goalie tandem.

Reactions: YP44

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don’t think you can say they have the worst save percentage in the league and at the same time say it isn’t the issue most nights. Bad goaltending, and Bad Offense means we can’t outscore our bad goaltending. And yes the defense misses Doughty and Mikey a lot. I am perfectly comfortable of trading Roy because there’s just something about his game that looks bad to me. I can’t put my finger on it. He loses his man too much i think it might be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad