GDT: 2021-22 season game 72 LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @7:30pm 4/4/22

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Well...TM and Sturm can't wait to get Brown back and put him on PP1. He was great there, in front of the net...in 2014. So it will surely work in 2022.

You do realize he had 9 pp goals last year, which lead the team right? It not there this year for sure, but AI is just a waste of space. He can't do any worse than Iafollo.

Reactions: YP44

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Second goal is so typical for either hockey or soccer.

You leave Gaudreau behind the net all alone, so it means you have one player in reserve but he could still find the open man.

Dont only watch the ******* puck or ball, those don’t score. Watch the player.

I do not blame Edler but do blame Vilardi.

Edler and Stetcher were just hanging out on the side of the net with their dicks in their hands watching him, neither went after him or put any pressure for him to do anything. All it would've taken was on guy to go behind the net, and the other to move to cover the slot pass. Both did neither and had a great view of the goal.

But this is also on TMac for losing the change game. 1st line vs 3rd line = bad goal.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Edler and Stetcher were just hanging out on the side of the net with their dicks in their hands watching him, neither went after him or put any pressure for him to do anything. All it would've taken was on guy to go behind the net, and the other to move to cover the slot pass. Both did neither and had a great view of the goal.

But this is also on TMac for losing the change game. 1st line vs 3rd line = bad goal.
Okay, I didnt see their dicks but you might have an eye for that.

I do agree somewhat with you. Personally I do not mind Gaudreau being all alone behind the net, let him just stand there, but at least keep an eye at the others.

• Haha
Reactions: kingsfan28

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
PP player management left lot to be desired.....Kempe not setting up in the area hes shown to score, Kaliyev not getting any legit PP time...was a lesson in futility where they kept trying a strategy that clearly hadnt worked all game- and ultimately lost the game.

Reactions: RaymondReddington

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
PP player management left lot to be desired.....Kempe not setting up in the area hes shown to score, Kaliyev not getting any legit PP time...was a lesson in futility where they kept trying a strategy that clearly hadnt worked all game- and ultimately lost the game.
it's been that way all year and is why I think it is fair to question this coaching staff, despite where LA is in the standings and the fact had anyone told me this is where they would be before the start of the season I would have taken it. The coaching staff just doesn't seem to make smart adjustments.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I do agree somewhat with you. Personally I do not mind Gaudreau being all alone behind the net, let him just stand there, but at least keep an eye at the others.

4 Kings there and 3 flames, too. Got too comfortable thinking they were in the right 'spots.' Youth mistake. Especially on Gabe not watching his man out of the corner just step behind him, but systematic breakdown.

Reactions: YP44

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Durzi is really starting to get exposed defensively. He’s running on adrenaline.
It's almost like he's a rookie and not a #1 D.

Bottom line it's hard to win in this league when you spot the other team a goal in the first 10 seconds. Add to that our imbicile coaches who wouldn't know what to do with a powerplay if their lives depended on it and it's a recipe for losing.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Durzi is really starting to get exposed defensively. He’s running on adrenaline.

there is now starting to be a tape on him. Teams will be forecasting and coaching their players on his weaknesses. How he responds will dictate his development (captain obvious statement), but he is till being tasks with huge minutes despite such little NHL experience. There are going to be blunders, or learning opportunities whatever you want to call it.
I think we will need Cal and Quick to steal a game or two down the stretch here.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
You do realize he had 9 pp goals last year, which lead the team right? It not there this year for sure, but AI is just a waste of space. He can't do any worse than Iafollo.
That was last year. Since then, he cannot make or receive passes, other than simple ones...he has not shot a puck past a goalie this year. Only when the goalie is out of position and an occasional scrum, has he scored. He can no longer play. He used to screen the goalie on PP and score many a deflection and was one of the best at it. He hasn't had one of those since last year. If they put him back in and continue to play AI 18 minutes and PP1, I think the Kings miss the playoffs.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
With Iafallo, it's becoming clear that he doesn't actually do anything functional in his position. The reason why he doesn't score on the power play is that he doesn't touch the puck. The scheme has him basically just taking up space in the middle of the ice to make room for the three skaters up top. Effectively the Kings are playing 4-on-4 with a pylon named Iafallo in the middle of the ice. That's not a recipe for success. You can see why the Flames were effective. They know Iafallo is not a threat to score, so they spend the entire kill trying to get in shooting lanes of the three players up top.

The Kings need to fix the power play, and it's not just personnel. There's a fundamental flaw in the way they use the man advantage. It's not an advantage if you don't use the extra man.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Did the 2nd unit pp get benched in the 3rd? All I remember was the 1st unit killing any chance at scoring, especially the final 2 plus minutes. And for gods sake, win a damn faceoff to start one, don't lose every one! They lost 6 straight.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kings are the 4th best team on the road and the 20th-best team at home. Why is that?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
With Iafallo, it's becoming clear that he doesn't actually do anything functional in his position. The reason why he doesn't score on the power play is that he doesn't touch the puck. The scheme has him basically just taking up space in the middle of the ice to make room for the three skaters up top. Effectively the Kings are playing 4-on-4 with a pylon named Iafallo in the middle of the ice. That's not a recipe for success. You can see why the Flames were effective. They know Iafallo is not a threat to score, so they spend the entire kill trying to get in shooting lanes of the three players up top.

The Kings need to fix the power play, and it's not just personnel. There's a fundamental flaw in the way they use the man advantage. It's not an advantage if you don't use the extra man.

Agree and disagree,

Simply put, the NHL is 100% a copycat league, if something is working for one team, give it 3 weeks and EVERY OTHER TEAM IS DOING THE SAME THING, can anyone name a team whose PP does not have a bumper in the middle now? Can anyone name a team who doesn't use the throwback pass to gain entry with speed etc?

It's not necessarily the system, it's the execution, and personnel put in that system, there is no magic forumla that 31 other teams have figured out.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007

That was on Byfield. He was to high, he should have collapsed instead of being in no man's land between the point and slot. The slot is the danger zone not the point when someone is behind the net. It's really simple guard the plate and don't worry about the point.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That was on Byfield. He was to high, he should have collapsed instead of being in no man's land between the point and slot. The slot is the danger zone not the point when someone is behind the net. It's really simple guard the plate and don't worry about the point.

Also on Edler for fumbling his stick, there is ZERO reason not to have that stick in a passing lane, that's 101

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
6 of one, half dozen of the other right? vilardi let lindholm sneak behind him too, but a little pressure on gaudreau would have denied him the time for the lane to open

everyone on this team is lazy and not even remotely physical in defending home plate, kupari had one hand on his stick with tkachuk in a prime scoring position

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So when the Oilers beat the Sharks tonight, they'll jump ahead of the Kings, bumping them down to 3rd place in the Pacific. Vegas also trail the Kings by four points with a game in hand, so if they go on a hot streak, they could also bump the Kings down to a wild card spot by the end of the week. The Golden Knights play the Canucks and Coyotes this week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad