GDT: 2021-22 season game 71 LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets @4:00pm 4/2/22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Neither goalie has shown--outside of the early winning streak fueled by goaltending--that they can be consistent for more than 2 game streaks this year. That's been a problem and it's not exclusive, both Cal and Quick are reluctant to take the reins and hold them. Either guy has the capability of getting hot and ridiculous though.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Neither goalie has shown--outside of the early winning streak fueled by goaltending--that they can be consistent for more than 2 game streaks this year. That's been a problem and it's not exclusive, both Cal and Quick are reluctant to take the reins and hold them. Either guy has the capability of getting hot and ridiculous though.
To be fair, the team in front of them has been very inconsistent as well.

If the playoffs started today, I'm not sure who I'd pick to be the starter.

Quick has the same issue in his game that he's had for years. He's overly aggressive and gets himself out of position. Meanwhile Cal looks like Jonathan Bernier; fundamentally sound but pucks go through him.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
wow, Kings are not only last in that stat....but basically in their own separate stratosphere

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
What’s that based on? Total shots and shooting percentage?
It's based on "shot quality". There's different methodologies for defining shot quality. But this model uses

Distance from the net.
Shot type.
Whether the shooter is shooting on their off-wing or not.
And then a bunch of contextual variables (home v away, game situation, score, recent game events).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Kings rank 9th in the NHL in goals expected 5v5 (MoneyPuck Model).

Yet, the Kings are 20th in the league in GF per game. They have a league worst shooting percentage of 7.28%

So it makes sense they would rank so low in Goals Scored Above Expected.

It's actually a good thing, because it means the Kings have played better than their record.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Phoenix at #11 on the list. Buffalo at #8. Not necessarily a disqualifier, but it doesn’t help.

The Coyotes have the lowest expected goal total in the league, so any over-performance (whether skill based or not) puts them onto the plus side. The Sabres have the fourth lowest expected goal totals. Something like goals scored above expected is not meant to be a ranking of team quality but should instead be viewed in context of how well the teams control the play on the quality of chances overall.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Coyotes have the lowest expected goal total in the league, so any over-performance (whether skill based or not) puts them onto the plus side. The Sabres have the fourth lowest expected goal totals. Something like goals scored above expected is not meant to be a ranking of team quality but should instead be viewed in context of how well the teams control the play on the quality of chances overall.
Yeah, if anything it's a good thing; Kings are likely due for a bounce upwards towards the average.

It'd be more concerning if they were at the top of the list.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Remember when LaBarbera as was going to be our new #1??

Good times indeed
I definitely remember those days. That and we believed we couldn't call him up because he was like the #1 goaltender in the AHL at the time and we were afraid of him getting claimed. Good times indeed, lol.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
If it were any of the last few years, I'd say potentially no, but Doughty has been excellent when healthy this year. Hell, even Danault has looked awful on the PK for most of this season. I think the unit was just cursed up until the last 10 games.

Agreed, though Doughty has been better this season, the only bad part about some veterans coming back is they will not just re-enter the lineup, which for Drew is much needed, but they will be put back out there in situations they struggle with where other kids that have stepped up to the plate have excelled. Like Doughty and Brown being thrown out there on PP1... Where honestly, they both don't belong.

I don't mind if Drew is on PP2, but Durzi and Spence are better on the PP. Drew has always struggled there, just because he is in the lineup, puts up decent numbers, and gets massive minutes even strength and PK doesn't mean he has to be on PP1 via his status. That's the tweak I would love to see any coach we've ever had break out the cojones and make. If TMac makes that change, I am team TMac all the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad