GDT: 2021-22 season game 71 LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets @4:00pm 4/2/22

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Winning is a team stat.

Neither him, nor Quick, have separated themselves as the starter with their play.

Those last month of stats reflect what the eye test sees - wildly inconsistent. He's had 2 good games in a row, lets see if he can maintain some consistency - which he has not done all year.

Game LogGoaltending
DateOppScoreTypeGSMinWLOTLGAGAASVSASV%SO
Apr 2@WPGW 3-2Reg160:0010022.002527.9260
Mar 31@cgyW 3-2Reg165:0010021.852628.9290
Mar 28SEAL 6-1Reg159:4101066.033238.8420
Mar 26SEAW 2-4Reg159:5610022.002325.9200
Mar 19@VGKL 1-5Reg158:3501044.101923.8260
Mar 17SJW 0-3Reg159:5610000.0029291.0001
Mar 12@sjL 0-5Reg160:0001055.002227.8150
Mar 7@BOSW 3-2Reg160:1110021.993032.9380
Mar 6@BUFW 3-0Reg160:0010000.0019191.0001
Mar 2@DALL 3-4Reg158:2401044.113943.9070

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Apparentely no Kings fans in Winnipeg.

After every LA goal I could hear the players talk.

Quietest I've EVER heard that arena.

HUGE block shot at the end of the game by Danault.

As I recall Kopi also had a huge block shot in the third. "Old time block"...

Edit: FOUND IT!

Both of those were excellent leadership by example and amazing defensive plays, love seeing guys digging in, this is a playoff squad now, they're battle tested and aren't going to back down (except against Seattle apparently :laugh:)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Both of those were excellent leadership by example and amazing defensive plays, love seeing guys digging in, this is a playoff squad now, they're battle tested and aren't going to back down (except against Seattle apparently :laugh:)
It's one of those that, while Kopitar has dipped for a while, he's still a quality player.

It also helps counter the "Kopitar only steps up when the games don't count" narrative.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If we won that Seattle game, we’d be one point behind Calgary.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Winning is a team stat.

Neither him, nor Quick, have separated themselves as the starter with their play.
Yes, the team winning nearly twice as much in front of one goalie during a playoff race actually is the separation.

The point here, proven by your post, is that it is not acknowledged.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Yes, the team winning nearly twice as much in front of one goalie during a playoff race actually is the separation.

The point here, proven by your post, is that it is not acknowledged.
Winning is a team result.

Two goaltenders can play relatively similarly, and have very different win-loss records.

The Kings should be playing the hot hand until one goalie distinguishes himself above the other. Cal should get the next start.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

To be fair, it's been quiet ever since Big Buff departed.

bufflook.gif

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This win pretty much ends it for the Jets — they need to win out to reach the 97 point threshold.

Reactions: hn777

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
This win pretty much ends it for the Jets — they need to win out to reach the 97 point threshold.

Yeah, it's looking like 98 now in any case since everyone keeps winning. They can win out and hit 100 of course, but 11-1 would be the minimum. Realistically they were finished 2 weeks ago, with their schedule down the stretch they needed a decent lead heading into the last 3 weeks of the season. Their last 7 games - FLA, TBL (back to back, road), NYR, CAR, COL, PHI, CAL. Rough.

Odds of the wild card coming out of the central are still very high, but Nashville's remaining schedule is challenging to say the least. 4 sets of back to back and a lot of tough teams. The one saving grace for them is they are mostly home games (where they play very well). I would be far from comfortable if I was a predator fan though.

Reactions: kilowatt and hn777

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Winning is a team result.

Two goaltenders can play relatively similarly, and have very different win-loss records.

The Kings should be playing the hot hand until one goalie distinguishes himself above the other. Cal should get the next start.
The thing is that on any given night the goaltenders are giving us a chance. Cal is better now, Quick was at the start of the season. It’s very much speculation and conjecture on my part but perhaps it has taken Cal a little time to adjust to being ‘the guy’ and the expectation that comes with a big contract. He certainly wouldn’t be the first player for that to be the case. He was making errors earlier in the years that were simply not the sort of thing he does, positioning and technique issues that were out of character. He seems to have gradually settled back in on that side of things.

Goaltending is such a difficult position because any mistakes are usually a goal against, so it always looks bad. Whereas a mistake by the rest in front of him can often be forgotten a moment later. Mistakes will happen but now Cal is making big saves and is working off a solid technical base again. He’s not an elite goaltender so we shouldn’t expect him to be (As some do). The expectation needs to be solid technique, consistency and a big save here and there. We are essentially getting that at the moment. Quick is also solid in net and his experience is definitely going to be a factor.

What is going to be interesting is how things go should we get into the play-offs. For the sake of the future they need to give Cal at least 60% of the starts. I don’t think you staple Quick to the bench but they have to really test Cal and push him to another level.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
How they manage the return of players from injury is going to be telling.

Lizotte and Doughty come in automatically and you have to think Lemieux will end up back on the 4th line. The first bit of the puzzle is Roy. I have to think he comes in, but for who? Do they sit Spence or maybe Maatta and slide Durzi over to his offside. Anderson in for Edler, probably but his experience is telling. It’s difficult because the team is getting into a real groove and too many changes risks upsetting that. I don’t think anyone expected Spence to be this good so quickly and it definitely creates a problem as these guys get back.

Up front I think sitting AA is an easy call, especially as we are hitting the stage of the season where it’s all about system and accountability. The biggest question is Brown if he returns to fitness. I am a Brown homer but I cannot see how you sit anybody in favour of him. IF they think they lay-off has given him a bit of jump back, maybe then I can see an argument for using his experience in certain games but that’s it for me -I really hate saying it. I just can’t see TMac making the decision to sit him.

Whilst the guy deserves to go out on the ice, scoring the last minute winner in LA, I also don’t want to see him playing his last game with everyone wishing he was still injured. They need to shut him down unofficially for the year IMO and maybe they have already.

Reactions: cyclones22

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Winning is a team stat.

Cal was good in last 2 games, but he also had a lot of bad games this year.

He did not prove to me that he is heir apparent to Quick

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
For what it's worth, which isn't much, early in Quick's career there were a lot of complaints about the soft goals he was letting in. The argument was always well he's winning games. Quick eventually shed that but he was much younger.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Cal has been better, but the recent play doesn't undo the longer stretch of mediocrity he's demonstrated this season.

Though if he keeps up this level of play, and more consistently keeps the Kings in games, it will be great. He doesn't need to be a world-beater.

Ehlers' goal is one type he needs to improve on. Durzi failed to contain Ehlers' speed, but the range and low shot power should have been stoppable.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Cal has been better, but the recent play doesn't undo the longer stretch of mediocrity he's demonstrated this season.

Though if he keeps up this level of play, and more consistently keeps the Kings in games, it will be great. He doesn't need to be a world-beater.

Ehlers' goal is one type he needs to improve on. Durzi failed to contain Ehlers' speed, but the range and low shot power should have been stoppable.
Durzi fails to contain fast players speed too often in my view

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Just bought 2 tix for next Wednesday's game 4/13 vs Avs in Denver. Row 17, corner section 120.
Can't wait!! I know there are King fans in Denver. Anyone else?
I hope one or more of: Roy, Doughty, Lemieux is back by then.
Thinking Lemieux will be.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

The thing is if this dynamic between Quick and Petersen continues, I’d take Quick easily just because of his playoff experience. Petersen has been really bad this year and has only looked decent the last couple games. I wouldn’t take that too seriously. He needs to show this for 30+ games to over throw Quick. And he hasn’t.
That sounds like something a veteran player would be saying. Impressive.
I sure as heck hope the true vets and team leaders are echoing this sentiment. Sad if not.

That’s why I love Durzi. He needs to work on his defense, but you keep this guy on the Kings because he embodies leadership like no other on the Kings right now.

Reactions: Schrute farms

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
I would still start quick game 1. Cal seems to play great, but let in 1 bad goal almost every game he plays. Quick is a perfect match for the Oilers speed and chaos. Cal can win you games, but Quick steals you games. That’s what you need to win a series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad