GDT: 2021-22 season game 71 LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets @4:00pm 4/2/22

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Agreed, though Doughty has been better this season, the only bad part about some veterans coming back is they will not just re-enter the lineup, which for Drew is much needed, but they will be put back out there in situations they struggle with where other kids that have stepped up to the plate have excelled. Like Doughty and Brown being thrown out there on PP1... Where honestly, they both don't belong.

I don't mind if Drew is on PP2, but Durzi and Spence are better on the PP. Drew has always struggled there, just because he is in the lineup, puts up decent numbers, and gets massive minutes even strength and PK doesn't mean he has to be on PP1 via his status. That's the tweak I would love to see any coach we've ever had break out the cojones and make. If TMac makes that change, I am team TMac all the way.
I agree but he’ll never do it.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I agree but he’ll never do it.
Technically, no one ever has. The locker room politics is real. I am sure they've had talks and insinuated this or that. I'm sure they've talked to Quick about Petersen getting a shot at his job, Brown being put on the third line to "mentor" Byfield, and "reducing" Kopitar's minutes because of Danault, etc; but, they've never been like Drew, you can't get a shot through to save your life, you're going to limited PP minutes on PP2, or Kopitar you are breaking the f*** down out there and look more passive out there than Brian Boyle, we are slashing you're minutes and putting Danault out there and splitting the rest between your and Byfield, etc. These are the conversations that have to happen to accelerate growth on this team.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't mind if Drew is on PP2, but Durzi and Spence are better on the PP. Drew has always struggled there, just because he is in the lineup, puts up decent numbers, and gets massive minutes even strength and PK doesn't mean he has to be on PP1 via his status. That's the tweak I would love to see any coach we've ever had break out the cojones and make. If TMac makes that change, I am team TMac all the way.

I totally agree with the premise of not rocking the boat and distributing time when guys come back, but I often read that Drew struggles on the PP and I just wonder why people think that. Drew has had some down years here recently, yet he's still has more PPG than any other defensemen in the last 3 years (19-20 to current). He's 14th overall in points over that period among defensemen. And he's been out of the lineup often this year.

The three seasons before that (16-17 to 18-19) he was 5th in goals and 10th in points on the PP. The three seasons before that he was 8th in goals and 12th in points. You have to go way back pre-cup when he was young before you start seeing struggles.

We joke that all he hits is shinpads recently, but he's obviously getting them through because he's has more PP goals than anyone for the last 3 seasons even with time missed. I'm puzzled where the struggling idea comes from because his numbers say the opposite.

Reactions: lumbergh

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I totally agree with the premise of not rocking the boat and distributing time when guys come back, but I often read that Drew struggles on the PP and I just wonder why people think that. Drew has had some down years here recently, yet he's still has more PPG than any other defensemen in the last 3 years (19-20 to current). He's 14th overall in points over that period among defensemen. And he's been out of the lineup often this year.

The three seasons before that (16-17 to 18-19) he was 5th in goals and 10th in points on the PP. The three seasons before that he was 8th in goals and 12th in points. You have to go way back pre-cup when he was young before you start seeing struggles.

We joke that all he hits is shinpads recently, but he's obviously getting them through because he's has more PP goals than anyone for the last 3 seasons even with time missed. I'm puzzled where the struggling idea comes from because his numbers say the opposite.
I mean, I am not trying to drag Drew completely through the mud like he is a black hole on the PP ala Dustin Brown, but he does get the most powerplay ice time out of everybody so that is going to rack up some points; however, he hasn't always been our best offensive defenseman in that situation often times throughout his career I think.

I think Durzi alone has shown to be vastly superior to Doughty on the PP in making things happen and forcing the puck to the net whereas how many times we've seen Drew wind up and fire into shinpads all game long though? This joke didn't come from nowhere. We've seen a lot of shinguards blasted over the years...

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I mean, I am not trying to drag Drew completely through the mud like he is a black hole on the PP ala Dustin Brown, but he does get the most powerplay ice time out of everybody so that is going to rack up some points; however, he hasn't always been our best offensive defenseman in that situation often times throughout his career I think.

I think Durzi alone has shown to be vastly superior to Doughty on the PP in making things happen and forcing the puck to the net whereas how many times we've seen Drew wind up and fire into shinpads all game long though? This joke didn't come from nowhere. We've seen a lot of shinguards blasted over the years...

Drew has said sometimes he's not even shooting with his eyes open and has no idea where it's going. 😄 The issue with Drew is there is a hitch in his shot, where there's this delay between when he get the puck and when it's shot.It's like he lifts his stick up just a little bit, then brings it down, then shoots. It's really weird . This little delay allows the defender to get in the lanes. Durzi and Spense don't have this. It's on the stick and off really fast.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

This is what I don't get. Durzi produces at a lower clip than Doughty on the powerplay, even though Doughty has been banged up a lot of the season. I think it's just perception because if Durzi was vastly superior out there with the man advantage you would think that he would be putting up way more points than DD, and he's not. Drew certainly scores more goals than Durzi does and gets his shot through more. I think we've seen Doughty screw up so much over the years and that's what we remember more.

Doughty has been a top 10 defenseman on the PP for years now in the NHL. I mean, he has more goals than Makar over the last three years despite Makar playing 120 minutes more on the PP. Doughty is first in goals despite being 15th in PP ice time over that period. That's not a fluke, his goals rankings are always above his ice time ranking. He's a 1st line PP player without a doubt, Durzi just makes us deeper there and it eliminates the need to have 4 forwards, which should help with SHG's against.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
This is what I don't get. Durzi produces at a lower clip than Doughty on the powerplay, even though Doughty has been banged up a lot of the season. I think it's just perception because if Durzi was vastly superior out there with the man advantage you would think that he would be putting up way more points than DD, and he's not. Drew certainly scores more goals than Durzi does and gets his shot through more. I think we've seen Doughty screw up so much over the years and that's what we remember more.

Doughty has been a top 10 defenseman on the PP for years now in the NHL. I mean, he has more goals than Makar over the last three years despite Makar playing 120 minutes more on the PP. Doughty is first in goals despite being 15th in PP ice time over that period. That's not a fluke, his goals rankings are always above his ice time ranking. He's a 1st line PP player without a doubt, Durzi just makes us deeper there and it eliminates the need to have 4 forwards, which should help with SHG's against.
Considering that 90% of our powerplay consists of Doughty and Kopitar passing back and forth to each other I would hope he gets some points. The other guys actually realize there are other players on the ice.

Reactions: Telos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad