GDT: 2021-22 season game 68 LA Kings vs Seattle Kraken @7:30pm 3/28/22

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Seems like you don't get it.
No, trust me I do. You'll be secretly rejoicing when the Kings can pick 16th and miss the playoffs rather than make the playoffs. I've read your posts for the last 3-4 years...I know where you're coming from.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
To go from 2nd place in the division to missing the playoffs would seem to be a negative for both the organization and the young players. But I get it...that 2nd or 3rd round pick is more important to the future than progress this year.

Who would they acquire for a 2nd or 3rd round pick that would make a difference?

Blake would have jumped all over a Arvidsson type value if it was there.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Who would they acquire for a 2nd or 3rd round pick that would make a difference?

Blake would have jumped all over a Arvidsson type value if it was there.
well for one - Brett Kulak who was acquired by Edmonton for a 2nd. He would have given them much needed depth on the left side and some desperately needed toughness. They don't need a complete difference maker but they do need someone who can step in NOW and eat major minutes on defense.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Blake felt investing in the playoffs was only worth a 7th. Quite the message to send to the fans and players.
what the hell are you talking about?

what player do you think should have been targeted and what player on the roster did you want scratched for said player? Yah, that would send a great message to the team...I wish you were the GM.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
what the hell are you talking about?

what player do you think should have been targeted and what player on the roster did you want scratched for said player? Yah, that would send a great message to the team...I wish you were the GM.
see post #328 for just one example.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Can’t just “forget” games like this. Too many bad habits creeping into their games again.

Iafallo should be scratched obviously he’s not working through his mental block.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Blake felt investing in the playoffs was only worth a 7th. Quite the message to send to the fans and players.

I am not a Blake fan, but I am perfectly fine with not overpaying for a rental this year just to ensure LA gets in.
If anything I questioned bringing in Stetcher with the way the young D looked at the time and still mostly looks. Once players return there will be some interesting decisions thanks to the strong play of Durzi and Spence.

I was more hoping Grundstrom would have been moved for a pick. Goal there would be to package pick with another pick to move up in draft or to get a long term player in the off season.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
well for one - Brett Kulak who was acquired by Edmonton for a 2nd. He would have given them much needed depth on the left side and some desperately needed toughness. They don't need a complete difference maker but they do need someone who can step in NOW and eat major minutes on defense.
Edmonton overpaid IMO.
Kulak does not move the needle for me. Soucy I would have been interested in

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
see post #328 for just one example.
It's going to take a lot more than that for this team to have a meaningful impact in the playoffs. The goal this year was to turn the corner and to no longer be a bottom dweller. The goal of this year was to be playing meaningful games in Mar/Apr as opposed to to only having the draft to look forward to in December. These things have happened...the playoffs would just be icing on the cake.

Blake proved he was willing to make moves in the offseason to get better -- sent a pretty positive message to me, and hey look at that, it's actually working out. Not sure why you haven't been paying attention...

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Yea, that's not Kulak.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It's going to take a lot more than that for this team to have a meaningful impact in the playoffs. The goal this year was to turn the corner and to no longer be a bottom dweller. The goal of this year was to be playing meaningful games in Mar/Apr as opposed to to only having the draft to look forward to in December. These things have happened...the playoffs would just be icing on the cake.

Blake proved he was willing to make moves in the offseason to get better -- sent a pretty positive message to me, and hey look at that, it's actually working out. Not sure why you haven't been paying attention...
According to Blake the goal was to make the playoffs. I hope they still do. I know many on this board would prefer they not make the playoffs. I'll leave it at that.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
No, trust me I do. You'll be secretly rejoicing when the Kings can pick 16th and miss the playoffs rather than make the playoffs. I've read your posts for the last 3-4 years...I know where you're coming from.
No, no you don't. Not even remotely close.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Wings blew a 2-0 lead to Seattle and lost 4-2.
Seattle outskated us from the opening faceoff. They lack finishers. But they can skate and forecheck.
Yeah but the Wings suck, so that's not much of a consolation. Losing is one thing, getting their asses handed to them is another.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Wings did get their asses handed to them. It just didn't look that way on the scoreboard.
Anyway, the point to me is that Seattle skates well as a team. You can't sleep on them.
Absolutely, which is exactly what the Kings did. They thought they'd win just by showing up, and you just can't do that in this league.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think the reason we lost this game was because of anything technical, like rookie dmen getting exposed or whatever.

It was simple matter of one team coming out and playing with more energy/buzz than the other team. There's been so many games this season where the Kings have come out flat and lethargic at home. This was one of those games.

Yep there were plenty of 'mistakes' to harp on all around but ultimately it all came down to the central issue of effort/physicality. One team showed up with a chip on their shoulders, the other showed up already thinking past this game to Edmonton, and they got fed their lunches all night. I'm glad Seattle didn't let up and just made everyone miserable all night, I admired it. They were running everyone and using that to fuel plays. Hope the Kings watch the game tape from the SEATTLE standpoint and take it to heart.

What's the record on home Monday night games this year? Off the top of my head, I feel like they've lost to Edmonton/Boston/Seattle the last three in a row with the latter two being a combined score of 13-1. Maybe it is worse because I'm trying not to drink during the week and both the Boston game and last night were dry runs.

The physicality thing is a huge iss
ue. Sure, me and the other knuckle-draggers on the board might bring it up more often because we simply like the physical side of hockey but this isn't a "I want to see some fights" complaint but rather a "This team will get absolutely steamrolled by most teams in a playoff series". Can you imagine these guys trying to survive the first 10 minutes of Game 1 at Minnesota? Teams are constantly crowding the goalie and show zero respect for this team. Seattle just took it to them last night.

100% agree, and well said. What you saw last night was a last place team that had ZERO respect for the opponent because they knew they could get away with EVERYTHING. Oh no, Durzi is going to hold me accountable? Piss off, I'm going to run your goalie and all your sub-6 skaters and you can't stop me.

Imagine 7 games of that, lolllll.

On the bright side it will show some of the youth how much they need to hit the gym. It's not their fault, of course, but there are some BIG lessons to take out of a game like that for 'skilled' skaters, cough Byfield et al.

Kulak f***ing sucks and that would have been a dopey move. For a SECOND? jesus christ.

But you're right that would have fit this org's MO of half-in, half-out. Glad they didn't do it.

Reactions: LAKings88

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Kulak f***ing sucks and that would have been a dopey move. For a SECOND? jesus christ.

But you're right that would have fit this org's MO of half-in, half-out. Glad they didn't do it.
Leddy or Dermott were also traded for the same price or cheaper if Kulak isn't your cup of tea. Maybe Blake is a genius for standing pat. We'll know a lot more by the end of the weekend. Kings could be solidly in 2nd or drop to 4th.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Leddy or Dermott were also traded for the same price or cheaper if Kulak isn't your cup of tea. Maybe Blake is a genius for standing pat. We'll know a lot more by the end of the weekend. Kings could be solidly in 2nd or drop to 4th.

I just respectfully disagree that any single one of those guys moves the needle for this team, especially at their prices.

Reactions: tny760

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Blake said simply he was only going to make a move if it helps now and in the future. That means he was not a buyer in the rental market.. Stecher was an emergency move due to injuries - not a typical rental that gets you prepped for a playoff run. Good call to sit this one out.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I just respectfully disagree that any single one of those guys moves the needle for this team, especially at their prices.
I understand but I don't agree. On March 21 (the TDL) the Kings were at 76 points compared to Edmonton (75), St Louis (77), Minnesota (78), Nashville (78), Vegas (72), and Dallas (71). If they don't have to play Colorado or Calgary in round 1, they have a very good chance to win at least one round. That would be a big win for the organization IMO. For a GM who stated the goal for this year was to make the playoffs, it seems ultraconservative not to make any moves even if you have to slightly overpay.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I understand but I don't agree. On March 21 (the TDL) the Kings were at 76 points compared to Edmonton (75), St Louis (77), Minnesota (78), Nashville (78), Vegas (72), and Dallas (71). If they don't have to play Colorado or Calgary in round 1, they have a very good chance to win at least one round. That would be a big win for the organization IMO. For a GM who stated the goal for this year was to make the playoffs, it seems ultraconservative not to make any moves even if you have to slightly overpay.
Dude, this team hasn't won a playoff round in 8 years and have only one single playoff game win in that time. They've been a bottom dweller for the last 5 years -- of course the GM is going to say the goal is to make the playoffs, that's the 'goal' every year in order to hopefully sell tickets.

But the REALITY is that just about everyone had predicted this team to NOT make the playoffs and just making it to the dance is a major win. Blake is praying to every GOD imaginable that this team doesn't fall out of contention -- could prob care less how far they actually go.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Dude, this team hasn't won a playoff round in 8 years and have only one single playoff game win in that time. They've been a bottom dweller for the last 5 years -- of course the GM is going to say the goal is to make the playoffs, that's the 'goal' every year in order to hopefully sell tickets.

But the REALITY is that just about everyone had predicted this team to NOT make the playoffs and just making it to the dance is a major win. Blake is praying to every GOD imaginable that this team doesn't fall out of contention -- could prob care less how far they actually go.
Everyone predicted that Vegas WOULD make the playoffs...who cares what people thought 6 months ago? The Kings had/have a chance to finish 2nd in the division and face a team they can beat in round 1. Blake didn't have to sell the farm to bring in some help to bolster the roster a bit. We'll see what Blake says if the team misses the playoffs because he wouldn't/couldn't improve the team. I know that many fans on HF will celebrate picking 16th in the draft instead of in the 20s though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad