GDT: 2021-22 season game 50 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @6:00pm 2/19/22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The first goal Peterson gave up was played about as bad as a goalie can play one in that situation.
Yeah, all he had to do was just stay in the crease.

No one is talking about it, but I think goaltending is a concern for the Kings. Quick is 36 and often injured. Petersen looks like a backup. No blue chip goalie prospect in the system.

People want to add a forward or dman at the deadline. But who's going to be our goalie in the playoffs? A 36 year old who hasn't played a full season in 4 years?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Tortorella warned us this would happen. This is terrible for the game. It's not honest hockey.
You act like a guy scoring a trick goal in the minors is equivalent to allowing Japan to bomb Perl Harbor again. I don’t love it but it’s not that big of a deal. Play better defense if you do wanna get embarrassed.

Reactions: TruKingFan

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Calling Petersen a back up is a bit of a stretch. In terms of back up goalies he has to be one of the more mediocre ones. Back up goalies can actually win games and with Petersen it always seems to be that the team can’t rely on him to make game saving saves. If the Kings mess up it’s likely in the net.

kings should move Cal and go for a younger goalie and give him a shot. It really can’t be THAT much worse

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

No one is talking about it, but I think goaltending is a concern for the Kings. Quick is 36 and often injured. Petersen looks like a backup. No blue chip goalie prospect in the system.

People want to add a forward or dman at the deadline. But who's going to be our goalie in the playoffs? A 36 year old who hasn't played a full season in 4 years?
I agree this is something no one is talking about and it occurred to me also - but with 10M per tied up in goalies, I cant imagine Blake sticking his neck out to spend more other than a rental.. the Az goalie is on an expiring ELC - possibly could get him on the cheap. It would be nice to 2 kill two birds and get a young up and comer to fill the blue chip and also possibly make the playoff roster leaving CalPete off - since it doesnt seem he can shake his doldrums this year.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I agree this is something no one is talking about and it occurred to me also - but with 10M per tied up in goalies, I cant imagine Blake sticking his neck out to spend more other than a rental.. the Az goalie is on an expiring ELC - possibly could get him on the cheap. It would be nice to 2 kill two birds and get a young up and comer to fill the blue chip and also possibly make the playoff roster leaving CalPete off - since it doesnt seem he can shake his doldrums this year.

They should use petersen as a throw in at 50% off and trade for some cheap backup. Petersen is ass and mediocre so we can have a lateral trade at worst. Cal + 3rd for a cheap back up.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Tortorella warned us this would happen. This is terrible for the game. It's not honest hockey.
What’s not honest? I wonder if fans said the same thing when the first basketball players started slam dunking? Totally legal, almost unstoppable. If I were a young forward prospect I would absolutely be working on that move every day after practice.

Better get used to seeing it, bud. Until goalies figure how to stop it or a player gets trucked trying it, it’s not gonna stop happening.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
They should use petersen as a throw in at 50% off and trade for some cheap backup. Petersen is ass and mediocre so we can have a lateral trade at worst. Cal + 3rd for a cheap back up.
Im guessing you were half serious - but to eat half a contract just signed I cant see happening...same reason Maata doesnt get waived and assigned to Ontario. Doing anything that drastic concedes a mistake was made and wakes up AEG to scrutinize some of these signings and future signings. So there is always that kind of inertia to fight against doing what may be best for the team. I would bet JQ gets his game together to make all this moot. Hopefully he gets the same competitive injection that DD showed last night.

motalar

Feb 20, 2008
dalen
What’s not honest? I wonder if fans said the same thing when the first basketball players started slam dunking? Totally legal, almost unstoppable. If I were a young forward prospect I would absolutely be working on that move every day after practice.

Better get used to seeing it, bud. Until goalies figure how to stop it or a player gets trucked trying it, it’s not gonna stop happening.

Well, they hated it so much they banned it for a number of years.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It always starts out with a flashy goal then the next thing you know our battleships are being hit with Zeros

It's just sad to see these kids trying to do new things and bring skill into the game like that.

Like I said. Tortorella warned how these highlight reel goals would hurt the sport. It's not honest hockey, and it's going to drive the real fans away.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Yes, the same guy who know how to win. If we make it to the playoffs, it's Quicks net.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Yes, the same guy who know how to win. If we make it to the playoffs, it's Quicks net.
And I'm fine with that in terms of his on-ice performance, but this is a guy who's been oft injured in recent years.

The Kings are very fragile in net right now.

Reactions: Little Psycho

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
On what hockeyboard planet are you two living on? You see the goalie argument/long term plan come up at least once a game or whenever a soft goal is allowed. It's been a common theme since last year and came up a bunch in the draft.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

My biggest problem with the lacrosse goals isn't so much the shot itself but the danger involved. By rule, you can't bring the stick above your shoulder and the puck can't go above the crossbar - otherwise it's dangerous and leads to high sticking. That's fine with skaters, but goalies' heads are often right around crossbar level. They are always down low, on their pads, in a tight crouch, etc. Every time I've seen Svechnikov do it he almost whacks the goalie in the side of the head. Goalies have enough to track and worry about during a play, someone trying to jam their stick into the top corner of the net shouldn't be one of them.

If they want to keep it in the game, fine, but if they hit the goalie in the head it should be 5 and a game for dangerous play. It's not a normal wind-up or follow-through of a shot so that doesn't apply, and it's not anticipated.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's just sad to see these kids trying to do new things and bring skill into the game like that.

Like I said. Tortorella warned how these highlight reel goals would hurt the sport. It's not honest hockey, and it's going to drive the real fans away.

Are you saying people who either enjoy it or are okay by it aren't "real fans"?

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
You act like a guy scoring a trick goal in the minors is equivalent to allowing Japan to bomb Perl Harbor again. I don’t love it but it’s not that big of a deal. Play better defense if you do wanna get embarrassed.
Yup. My only problem with it is that there's still people reacting with the jaw drop emoji and getting all fake-astonished. We've all seen 8 year old kids pull the move. It's neither uncommon or amazing anymore.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
On what hockeyboard planet are you two living on? You see the goalie argument/long term plan come up at least once a game or whenever a soft goal is allowed. It's been a common theme since last year and came up a bunch in the draft.
I can only speak for myself but watching CalPete go about his business forces your mind to create new realities

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Re: goaltending its’ funny because it’s just the literal reverse of last year, people were trying to trade Quick because he was done and Cal needed more time since it was ‘his’ crease now.

In reality Quickie is gonna get his last real shot in the playoffs to be the monster he can be, next year will be his last ride with Cal, then we’ll likely have Cal and a stopgap unless they can (fairly) trade for a future #1 or bluechipper. We already know they were after Wallsteadt so they aren’t oblivious, just aren’t going to get bent over a barrel yet either since it’s an obvious long-term weakness for which we have time. We aren’t the Avs.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Calling Petersen a back up is a bit of a stretch. In terms of back up goalies he has to be one of the more mediocre ones. Back up goalies can actually win games and with Petersen it always seems to be that the team can’t rely on him to make game saving saves. If the Kings mess up it’s likely in the net.

kings should move Cal and go for a younger goalie and give him a shot. It really can’t be THAT much worse

He literally won yesterday. He's won seven of his last nine games. Is this a joke? I love Quick, but these are their stats in 2022:

Quick: 4-3-2, 3.22 GAA, .881 SV%.
Petersen: 7-2-0, 2.22 GAA, .906 SV%.

Quick had a much stronger first half of the season, going 9-7-4 with a 2.30 GAA and a .923 SV%, while Petersen went 5-5-1 with a 3.09 GAA and an .893 SV%.

I don't always feel super confident with Petersen in net, but the numbers are telling a different story than our board's narrative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad