GDT: 2021-22 season game 45 LA Kings vs Philadelphia Flyers @10:00am 1/29/22

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I don't know if the Kings had the kind of support that QB would needed to ride the highs and lows last year, adding Danault, I think allows them to do it this year, yea it's in a playoff race, but I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing for his development.

He would have been fine, most guys like him have been put in those situations and come out of it fine, most top 3 picks aren't entering ideal situations when they play in the NHL at 18. I doin't think he would have been any different than a guy like Barkov was. There would have been less games like today had he had a seasons worth of games and a familiarity with the pace of the game. I just worry if he has another game like this tomorrow they may sit him because they are in a playoff race and don't want to suffer through the lows.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Byfield needs to spend some time at the practice rink with Stoll doing some dot work.

...and McLellan needs to let him take more draws in games, so he can work on it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think if LA gets Chychrun,one of the pieces going back is Mikey Anderson it makes too much sense. That and a couple other Kings and or prospects
Someone recently made a pretty good argument about Chychrun not being a good fit for the Kings based on his current age and the number of years remaining on his existing contract.

He will almost assuredly get an 8-year deal on his next contract, because every NHL GM is too stupid not to give it to him, and when his next contract expires I believe he will be 36 years old. The Kings don't need that kind of deal stopping up the plumbing when they are going to be attempting to build around guys like Byfield, Clarke, etc.

I am sorry I don't recall which poster it was off the top of my head, but gold star to you for some insightful reasoning.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Half was for math purposes. They're called examples.

Here are the total times of the powerplay units and their total powerplay points:
Kopitar - 157:29 (13)
Kempe - 124:07 (6)
Iafallo - 119:11 (5)
Brown - 102:06 (1)
Doughty - 84:57 (9)
Total - 34 points in combined 9 hours, 47 minutes, 50 seconds

So 587 minutes, 50 seconds, about .057 points a minute.

Arvidsson - 120:19 (7)
Kaliyev - 94:40 (6)
Danault - 77:12 (1)
Durzi - 55:03 (7)
Moore - 30:23 (2)
Total - 23 points in combined 6 hours, 17 minutes, 37 seconds

377 minutes, 37 seconds, about .061 points per minute.

So since examples and opinions/eyetest doesn't convince you, those are the hard numbers where the players on unit 2 are statistically more productive than the players on unit 1.

Neither of our units are very good. That .004 difference isn't significant in any way, it's literally a 2nd assist given on a goal, but there should be a gap and there isn't.

Despite their struggles, the Kings are 18th with 24 pp goals this year. They've had more opportunities than almost everyone of course, which puts them at 26th in percentage. I actually think a couple of small changes would take them up to respectability. I'd roll something like

Kempe-Kopitar-Arvidsson
Doughty-Durzi

Kaliyev-Byfield-Moore
Iafallo-Bjornfot

Brown and Danault don't belong on the PP.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Re: Anderson fwiw in Todd’s interview live he said it was a puck to the face situation

Probably not worth much since i doubt he got to check at that point

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean I wouldn't ask you to do this but I imagine if someone counted up the number of posts about how shitty Brown or Kopitar is or how they're making terrible plays and compared it to the number of negative comments about Byfield... Even if you make the number of comments adjusted for time on ice of the players I wouldn't expect Byfield to be even close. If this board is not shitting on the veterans it is only because it is too busy shitting on the coach. That's my own subjective impression and I could obviously be way off.

Disagree. Byfield made two very clear bad plays and was appropriately called out on them.

If we called Brown out on the same plays, we’d reach the post limit in every GDT.

That’s the point. Disproportionate blame.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It's hard to compare the PP1 and PP2 units. PP1 gets the benefit of an offensive-zone draw to begin the power play. Whereas PP2 typically jumps on the ice after the puck has been cleared back into the defensive zone. And it's typically only with 45 seconds or less on the clock. Occasionally there's a stoppage that allows an ozone draw for PP2, but scenario one is more frequent.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
One of the weirder stats I've seen recently is that the 95-96 Colorado Avalanche are tied with 2 other teams for most SHGA in a season, with 22.

The other two are the 84-85 Penguins and the 91-92 North Stars.
Wow, I didn't expect that Colorado team to have so many.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Disagree. Byfield made two very clear bad plays and was appropriately called out on them.

If we called Brown out on the same plays, we’d reach the post limit in every GDT.

That’s the point. Disproportionate blame.

I think most people have given up on Brown at this point. It's unfortunate, but his resurgence seems to have come to pass. Byfield on the other hand has a lot more expectations, especially because we have not had great returns from our other prospects as of yet. We have some solid guys, but it does not appear that we are going to transition any Doughty/Kopitar/Quick's from our pool outside of Byfield to this point(Fox even said the Kings org projected ceiling for Turk predraft was a 3rd line center). Byfield had a rough game, which is to be expected since he is so young and is just getting back up to speed after an injury. He looked to be laboring today which is likely from being a bit tired from his rapid insertion back into the lineup and I think that had an affect on his play. Even though there are extenuating circumstances the fanbase is going to notice that more when we are talking about the biggest future hope of the franchise.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
i don't understand why they will not even try QB in overtime , he is quick as hell and goes full boar all the time, great on the FO .instead we get kopi at the end of the game looking tired not moving his feet well and losing the puck more than normal. hell the few wins we have are from giving the puck to kempe and iaffalo ........the coaching staff doesn't make adjustments and tries to win off the talent of the vets and when they have their B game its hard to win and a couple t/o's or bad bounces and you lose that second point and both happened today/

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
i don't understand why they will not even try QB in overtime , he is quick as hell and goes full boar all the time, great on the FO .instead we get kopi at the end of the game looking tired not moving his feet well and losing the puck more than normal. hell the few wins we have are from giving the puck to kempe and iaffalo ........the coaching staff doesn't make adjustments and tries to win off the talent of the vets and when they have their B game its hard to win and a couple t/o's or bad bounces and you lose that second point and both happened today/
No one outside the organization understands. Theres sheltering and theres the Kings handling Byfield and Turcotte at the NHL level. Treating them like bubble boy. Cant expose them to any meaningful minutes or situations. Its either they dont believe in them all that much, think theyll ruin playoff dreams, or want to keep them out of the pressure/media spotlight.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If there's one play that sums up the special teams problems, it's the shorty making it 3-1. Cleanly win the draw, bank it off the boards to no one, passed Doughty, who was going right when the puck was going left for a breakaway goal. That's 7 times its happened and they've lost all 7 games because of that. TM must be livid every time it happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad