GDT: 2021-22 season game 45 LA Kings vs Philadelphia Flyers @10:00am 1/29/22

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Doughty is absolutely atrocious playing some of the worst hockey I’ve ever seen him play. Everyone besides maatta is better than him. Why are we talking about Byfield? How about the guy who’s getting the most ice time and PP

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Why are we talking about Byfield?

Why are we whining, I would say ?

6 points in the last 4 away games.

because this team is only gettting so far because of the roster. It’s biggest issue is the coaching staff on the bench.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
We can debate about bad plays throughout the game but it doesn’t really matter. We went into overtime with a great chance at two points.
once again our coaching staff refused to use any skilled youth with fresh legs and kept putting the same players out over and over again just like they did against the Rangers.

This team could easily be seven or eight points up in the standings if we’re coaching stuff allowed our young players to take over the power-play and give them time in 3OH!3 situation.

What’s the worst thing that is going to happen, are we going to give up a shorthanded goal or lose in overtime. Too late we’ve already been doing that with the vets out there.

We have the vets on this team to shelter the kids but we now have kids that are able to shelter some of the vets minutes. It’s time to take that next step.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Thats always the case.

Fans from 25 other teams think the same. That it is the coach to blame, the special teams, the refs….whatever.
Special teams garbage , terrible ice time distribution. And the vets are ass. 2 of those things in ran by management.

the points don’t mean much again when the Kings lose most of their games against the west and especially against the sharks 3-10 under Tmac.

kings are in a playoff spot by the grace of the east

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
We can debate about bad plays throughout the game but it doesn’t really matter. We went into overtime with a great chance at two points.
once again our coaching staff refused to use any skilled youth with fresh legs and kept putting the same players out over and over again just like they did against the Rangers.

This team could easily be seven or eight points up in the standings if we’re coaching stuff allowed our young players to take over the power-play and give them time in 3OH!3 situation.

What’s the worst thing that is going to happen, are we going to give up a shorthanded goal or lose in overtime. Too late we’ve already been doing that with the vets out there.

We have the vets on this team to shelter the kids but we now have kids that are able to shelter some of the vets minutes. It’s time to take that next step.

Crystal ball......nothing but crystal ball coaching.....Someone posted earlier.....29 powerplays, 4 goals total, 2 from each unit....but apparently the PP2 is SO MUCH BETTER......

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Let's not ignore the utter condifence shattering moment that is, being the reason your team loses a game....... yea, f*** it, confidence doesn't matter in pro sports......

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Crystal ball......nothing but crystal ball coaching.....Someone posted earlier.....29 powerplays, 4 goals total, 2 from each unit....but apparently the PP2 is SO MUCH BETTER......

The second unit is much better if it's producing as much as the first in a fraction of the time.

Do you ever think "oh, the job that pays me $8 an hour is just as good as the job that pays $16 an hour. I spent 2 hours doing one job and one hour doing the other, but I made as much money with each one."

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The second unit is much better if it's producing as much as the first in a fraction of the time.

Do you ever think "oh, the job that pays me $8 an hour is just as good as the job that pays $16 an hour. I spent 2 hours doing one job and one hour doing the other, but I made as much money with each one."

Not even remotely the same.....

But here are the two PP units, I believe, correct me if I am wrong

Kopitar - 3:09
Kempe - 2:46
Brown - 2:26
Doughty - 3:16
Iafallo - 2:46

Durzi - 2:02
Kaliyev - 2:09
Danault - 1:48
Arvidsson - 3:10
Moore/AA - 0:41 / 1:46

Tell me again how they only get HALF or FRACTION of the time?

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I think so. Byfield makes one actual bad pass and one actual bad read and people are all over that play, but no praise for his multiple hard backchecks to break plays up. Brown makes those exact same mistakes literally multiple times a shift multiple times a game and people are rationalizing his usage and saying he shouldn't be benched. Or because AA sniped from the corner once we're just okay with him flying the zone and not checking literally anyone.

The 19 year old is getting the critical eye, the 37 year old vet escapes criticism because people are so mad Byfield couldn't cover 3 dudes they don't notice Dustin's barely crossed the red line. One stands to learn from it, one has learned it long ago and doesn't practice it.

I mean I wouldn't ask you to do this but I imagine if someone counted up the number of posts about how shitty Brown or Kopitar is or how they're making terrible plays and compared it to the number of negative comments about Byfield... Even if you make the number of comments adjusted for time on ice of the players I wouldn't expect Byfield to be even close. If this board is not shitting on the veterans it is only because it is too busy shitting on the coach. That's my own subjective impression and I could obviously be way off.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I can understand not using the youth when you are chasing down possession in 3 on 3, but after you put out kopitar and Danault, put out lizzotte to retrieve possession then byfield to run offense. When we're winning we're a 4 line team, when we're losing and tired we mysteriously turn to two...

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

Come on bud, if you are going to sarcastically mock everyone for not being as smart as you at least use some reasonable arguments. You damn well know that the first power play unit gets more ice time than the second power play unit. Over the past month Kopitar and Doughty are averaging over 3 minutes of PP TOI/GP, while Durzi and Kaliyev are averaging less than a minute and a half. The latter are averaging a higher PP P/60 than Dewey and Kopi. If you are going to have arguments that the coaching is perfect, you should use a more comparable stat than goals from each grouping.

As a side note, we really need to think about moving Brown and Danault off of the powerplay altogether. Danault has a 0.77 PP P/60 and Brown has a 0.58 PP P/60 this season. Those are the worst in the league for any player with more than 70 minutes of power play TOI. In fact only 4 total players have less than 1.44 and we have two of them, that is abysmal.

Reactions: lumbergh and funky

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Come on bud, if you are going to sarcastically mock everyone for not being as smart as you at least use some reasonable arguments. You damn well know that the first power play unit gets more ice time than the second power play unit. Over the past month Kopitar and Doughty are averaging over 3 minutes of PP TOI/GP, while Durzi and Kaliyev are averaging less than a minute and a half. The latter are averaging a higher PP P/60 than Dewey and Kopi. If you are going to have arguments that the coaching is perfect, you should use a more comparable stat than goals from each grouping.

As a side note, we really need to think about moving Brown and Danault off of the powerplay altogether. Danault has a 0.77 PP P/60 and Brown has a 0.58 PP P/60 this season. Those are the worst in the league for any player with more than 70 minutes of power play TOI. In fact only 4 total players have less than 1.44, that is abysmal.

Durzi is averaging 2 mins of PP, same as Kaliyev, Arvidsson is averaging 3,

It's not they aren't getting the same time, the reason why everyone thinks they are better, is they aren't named Kopitar, Brown or Doughty.

As far as Danault, agreed, I would like to see him off, put in Byfield,....sure,

I never said the coaching was perfect, by the very nature of the game, it will NEVER BE....but you want to come in and say use facts, and then go on to argue based on emotions....

If we are gonna use PPP as a barometer, then your top unit is Durzi, Doughty (shit half the board fainted) Kopitar (there goes the other half) Moore, and Kaliyev, followed by Arvidsson, Kempe, Roy, Iafallo, D'anault....

The problem with statistics, is that they LIE.....you can use them to show anyone anything....at any time.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I can understand not using the youth when you are chasing down possession in 3 on 3, but after you put out kopitar and Danault, put out lizzotte to retrieve possession then byfield to run offense. When we're winning we're a 4 line team, when we're losing and tired we mysteriously turn to two...

Lizotte was having a shit game, no way he should have been out for OT....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Outside of Arvidsson, Durzi and Bjornfot no one was playing particularly well.

It was pretty average of a game, it happens, everyone here is shitting because they think the world is falling....

But on the list of players to put out for OT....Lizotte comes in around 10th on the Fs

Reactions: Schmooley

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not even remotely the same.....

But here are the two PP units, I believe, correct me if I am wrong

Kopitar - 3:09
Kempe - 2:46
Brown - 2:26
Doughty - 3:16
Iafallo - 2:46

Durzi - 2:02
Kaliyev - 2:09
Danault - 1:48
Arvidsson - 3:10
Moore/AA - 0:41 / 1:46

Tell me again how they only get HALF or FRACTION of the time?

Half was for math purposes. They're called examples.

Here are the total times of the powerplay units and their total powerplay points:
Kopitar - 157:29 (13)
Kempe - 124:07 (6)
Iafallo - 119:11 (5)
Brown - 102:06 (1)
Doughty - 84:57 (9)
Total - 34 points in combined 9 hours, 47 minutes, 50 seconds

So 587 minutes, 50 seconds, about .057 points a minute.

Arvidsson - 120:19 (7)
Kaliyev - 94:40 (6)
Danault - 77:12 (1)
Durzi - 55:03 (7)
Moore - 30:23 (2)
Total - 23 points in combined 6 hours, 17 minutes, 37 seconds

377 minutes, 37 seconds, about .061 points per minute.

So since examples and opinions/eyetest doesn't convince you, those are the hard numbers where the players on unit 2 are statistically more productive than the players on unit 1.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Durzi is averaging 2 mins of PP, same as Kaliyev,

Over the last month Durzi is averaging 1:42 TOI/GP and Kaliyev is averaging 1:42. Durzi is averaging 8.14 PP P/60 and Kaliyev is averaging 5.43.

It's not they aren't getting the same time, the reason why everyone thinks they are better, is they aren't named Kopitar, Brown or Doughty.

Brown has been the worst regular powerplay skater in the league by points per 60, almost anybody on the roster would be better than Brown at this point.

If we are gonna use PPP as a barometer, then your top unit is Durzi, Doughty (shit half the board fainted) Kopitar (there goes the other half) Moore, and Kaliyev, followed by Arvidsson, Kempe, Roy, Iafallo, D'anault....

Using my date range it would more look like Durzi-Doughty-Kempe-Kopitar-Kaliyev and I think that would be a fantastic switch up. Look, it's not working and some of the guys on the second unit have been outproducing their counterparts on the first unit. Make some changes before the season gets away from us. We are barely ahead of the Oiler in points percentage right now and currently outside of the playoffs. Can't afford to be giving away points against a team that is on a 13 game losing streak.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Byfield had a poor game, it happens, it doesn't mean he is a bust but it doesn't mean we can't discuss it either or try and deny and make excuses. There will be ups and downs in the development, today was pretty clearly a down, and we don't have to grasp for small things he did, he wasn't good. Tomorrow he might be the best player on the ice, as he has that kind of talent. TM was justified for riding the vets a bit more, he has been told to win games first, over development. This is yet another reason QB should have been having these ups and downs in low pressure situations last year and not in a playoff race this year. We'd be a way better team right now with a QB with 90 games of NHL experience instead of 10. That being said, I'd like to see QB on the PP over Danault, PD has been a great player for the Kings in the role he is expected to play, but he is not an offensively gifted player, the Kings need to get offensively gifted players opportunities in offensive situations. Our PP must get way better in the 2nd half for us to have a chance.

Reactions: lumbergh

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Byfield had a poor game, it happens, it doesn't mean he is a bust but it doesn't mean we can't discuss it either or try and deny and make excuses. There will be ups and downs in the development, today was pretty clearly a down, and we don't have to grasp for small things he did, he wasn't good. Tomorrow he might be the best player on the ice, as he has that kind of talent. TM was justified for riding the vets a bit more, he has been told to win games first, over development. This is yet another reason QB should have been having these ups and downs in low pressure situations last year and not in a playoff race this year. We'd be a way better team right now with a QB with 90 games of NHL experience instead of 10. That being said, I'd like to see QB on the PP over Danault, PD has been a great player for the Kings in the role he is expected to play, but he is not an offensively gifted player, the Kings need to get offensively gifted players opportunities in offensive situations. Our PP must get way better in the 2nd half for us to have a chance.

I don't know if the Kings had the kind of support that QB would needed to ride the highs and lows last year, adding Danault, I think allows them to do it this year, yea it's in a playoff race, but I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing for his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad