2021- 22 Schedule

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Couldn't find it anywhere, but I assume the NHL is going back to the pre-COVID playoff format and not using a 1-8 conference format?

No. Going back to the pre-Covid of top 3 teams in each division, plus two wild cards in each conference format. They haven’t done 1-8 since 2013 (save the bubble).

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
No. Going back to the pre-Covid of top 3 teams in each division, plus two wild cards in each conference format. They haven’t done 1-8 since 2013 (save the bubble).

True. Though if the OP is correct it sounds like starting in 2022-23 it'll either be 4 divisions and no conferences with the top 4 teams in each division making the playoffs, or 4 divisions and 2 conferences with a 1-8 conference playoff format.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
True. Though if the OP is correct it sounds like starting in 2022-23 it'll either be 4 divisions and no conferences with the top 4 teams in each division making the playoffs, or 4 divisions and 2 conferences with a 1-8 conference playoff format.

They probably couldn’t come to an agreement or didn’t have time on the format change and just stuck with the pre-pandemic format. Whether they change in 22-23 season to 1-8 or divisional is unknown.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
As for the format:
It was said about 6 weeks ago that there wasn't time to fully vet the possibilities of a change of matrix.

So, for 21-22, it will be:
vs other conference: 2 games
vs other division: 3 games
vs own division: 3 or 4 games

I personally hate this. It makes the division designation completely meaningless. For example, without looking at the entire schedule, but in principle, this is true:
Wild play 3 games vs all Pacific teams
Wild play 3 games vs all Central teams
Wild then play 5 more games (1 each) against chosen Central teams.

The only difference between a Pac schedule and a Cent schedule is those 5 games. It's meaningless.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
As for the format:
It was said about 6 weeks ago that there wasn't time to fully vet the possibilities of a change of matrix.

So, for 21-22, it will be:
vs other conference: 2 games
vs other division: 3 games
vs own division: 3 or 4 games

I personally hate this. It makes the division designation completely meaningless. For example, without looking at the entire schedule, but in principle, this is true:
Wild play 3 games vs all Pacific teams
Wild play 3 games vs all Central teams
Wild then play 5 more games (1 each) against chosen Central teams.

The only difference between a Pac schedule and a Cent schedule is those 5 games. It's meaningless.

84 game schedule... fixes all the math.

7 division teams x 4 = 28
8 conference teams x 3 = 24
Home & Home against the other conference = 32

Easy math. And an easy fix.

Reactions: oknazevad

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
84 game schedule... fixes all the math.

7 division teams x 4 = 28
8 conference teams x 3 = 24
Home & Home against the other conference = 32

Easy math. And an easy fix.
Won't happen and still ugly. The 3 Tiem zones in the west are killers.

We need:
4 x division =28
2 x everyone else = 48
+ 6 other games

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Schedules have released with dates of games, but not the time. (Assuming you can nominally plan for whatever your local start time is for the moment.)

(And of course the "import schedule to your calendar" is still up in the air as they don't have start times on their games. So I have to print out schedules of my teams so I can see overlaps with what is on my schedule. :D)

(And AHL schedule releasing Friday)

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I wonder if you are going to see some odd times (especially in the central time zone) to maneuver around national broadcasts.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FTR, I was massively underwhelmed by the ESPN reveal.

Really only mentioned the tent pole events and some key matchups.

I guess they didn't want to give even 15 seconds/team to highlight at least one game.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
FTR, I was massively underwhelmed by the ESPN reveal.

Really only mentioned the tent pole events and some key matchups.

I guess they didn't want to give even 15 seconds/team to highlight at least one game.

I am guessing they will do that when they announce the broadcast schedule. The most they could highlight for everyone would be their home openers.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Won't happen and still ugly. The 3 Tiem zones in the west are killers.

We need:
4 x division =28
2 x everyone else = 48
+ 6 other games

That doesn't seem too different to me. The Central Division cuts across two time zones, so they bounce no matter what. The Pacific would end up with close to as many trips to the CTZ as they do now... under the current matrix, they would go to 4 teams in the Central twice. Those six Wild Card games would probably be across time zones, too.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Charters. Guessing the 1st ones are for those not participating in the all star weekend. The last one would be for those in ASG.

IIRC, Sharks Joe Pavelski flew up to Vancouver and participated in opening ceremony (and then rejoined NHL team for last games before break).

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Charters. Guessing the 1st ones are for those not participating in the all star weekend. The last one would be for those in ASG.

The NHL has typically not had an All Star game in years they go to the Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad