2021- 22 Schedule

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Nothing has been said officially by the league, but everything I’ve read says they are staying with the 4,3,2 format, with the top 3 and wild card playoff.

I still think they should make it 84 games, just because of the math.

So Conferences are not being eliminated I assume.

I wonder of they will go with 84 games but kill 2 pre-season games to keep the PA in check.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I rather hope the NHL basically provides a break in the schedule, confirms players can attend and then does nothing else. NHLPA, IIHF and IOC can figure out everything needed to get the players there.
Part of me thinks something like this will happen. NHL will agree to shut down, but won't have a league-wide agreement with IOC. They will tell players they can play, but they are on their own for insurance and if they get hurt while over there, they do not get paid when they return.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I like the 4 vs division, 2 vs every one else + 6 extra games for one reason:
It gives the teams in the league a choice which allows them to maximize (with certain limits, of course) revenue from their home schedule.

In reality, the "+6" part allows a consideration to 2 problems which the fanbase discusses commonly:
1- The Canadian teams don't play each other often enough
2- Arizona is getting a bad deal on this alignment.
I know players were dead-set against adding regular season games, but crazy that they played 80 games when they had 21 teams and now play 82 with 32 teams. Should expand to 90 games. 6 against division teams (42) and 2 against the rest (48). More revenues=more money for players and they get out of the escrow debt faster. The NFLPA was also dead-set against expanding beyond 16 games. It was a non-starter during the 2011 and now they have a 17-game schedule and likely 18 in the not to distant future. Yes, I would rather only have 1 game against the other conference, but I know that will never happen. 6 against division (42) 4 against other division in conference (32) and 1 against other conference (16).

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Looks like ESPN is opening the season with Tampa/Pittsburgh early and Vegas/Seattle late. Both games should pop a decent rating. Curious to see how it compares to NBCSN opening night games of the past.

Reactions: 2mannings1cup

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Looks like ESPN is opening the season with Tampa/Pittsburgh early and Vegas/Seattle late. Both games should pop a decent rating. Curious to see how it compares to NBCSN opening night games of the past.
Where did you see this?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I know players were dead-set against adding regular season games, but crazy that they played 80 games when they had 21 teams and now play 82 with 32 teams. Should expand to 90 games. 6 against division teams (42) and 2 against the rest (48). More revenues=more money for players and they get out of the escrow debt faster. The NFLPA was also dead-set against expanding beyond 16 games. It was a non-starter during the 2011 and now they have a 17-game schedule and likely 18 in the not to distant future. Yes, I would rather only have 1 game against the other conference, but I know that will never happen. 6 against division (42) 4 against other division in conference (32) and 1 against other conference (16).

Gross. Less is more.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Why would you want less games?

Players are banged up messes man. The playoffs matter.

Like the other poster said the regular season drags on enough. I'm not that interested in games that also end in gimmick/pond hockey half the time.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
What a bunch of pricks, they said all day 6PM and now it is 6:30, do they think all this is to endear people to ESPN or something

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I doubt the full schedule will be released at 6:30 anyway. ESPN will highlight season openers and a few of their prime time games.

I expect the full schedule to drop around 7 when NHL Network starts their schedule show.

Reactions: Reaser

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Pitts/Tampa, Sea/VGK doubleheader on ESPN on Oct 12.
Caps/Rangers on Oct. 13 on TNT.

TNT gets both Winter Classic and Stadium Series.

2mannings1cup

Jun 15, 2012
Good call, NextBigThing. Do you work for ESPN?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Couldn't find it anywhere, but I assume the NHL is going back to the pre-COVID playoff format and not using a 1-8 conference format?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->