2021- 22 Schedule

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Barcelona (1992) and Los Angeles (1984) and were the only two outdoor swimming venues used for the last 10 Olympics.
(Counting the swimming events only, not the water polo/sync venues).

For 2028 Los Angeles Olympics, they list the USC baseball field (which is right next to the USC pool) as the venue for swimming. Looks to be a temporary retrofit and will be outdoor.

Which got me to Google Earth to the old swim stadium just south of the Coliseum. Still there, but at least half the stands are gone and it looks repurposed for community use.

I recall, at first, LA28 was saying they would place the pool in Banc Of California Stadium. I can imagine how that discussion turned out.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Barcelona (1992) and Los Angeles (1984) and were the only two outdoor swimming venues used for the last 10 Olympics.
(Counting the swimming events only, not the water polo/sync venues).

For 2028 Los Angeles Olympics, they list the USC baseball field (which is right next to the USC pool) as the venue for swimming. Looks to be a temporary retrofit and will be outdoor.

I believe Athens was outdoors as well.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Agreed with this part. I've often thought the season should be shorter and this is likely a good window to make that so.

And who is going to pay the owners for those missing gate receipts? No way they are given up three pay days. Especially since they missed out on revenue the last couple of years.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Agreed. Heck, that might be what leads them to push for an 84-game schedule. It's only one more home date, but it's more revenue.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
No, they haven't. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Not for next season, but the season after that.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Between "Option A" and "Option B", I prefer B, the extra divisional games would be good for the league, and stir up greater interest in division rivals, since the games would be more meaningful. It's just unfortunate how bad a position that puts the Coyotes in. 2 games per year vs LA, VGK, SJ, ANA? But 4 vs WPG, MIN, NSH? Yikes....

I really like the idea of the 6 bonus games, and having those not have to be set to groups (i.e. the example of MIN playing DET/DAL, but DET playing MIN and CHI, or whatever), that's great flexibility. I actually designed a format that is entirely that concept, with a matrix of 6 games vs 3 opponents, 4 games vs 4 opponents, 2 vs all other teams, but the playoff format for that would be nuts...

I think, with all the talk of "expanding" (but not really) the playoffs, if a fully Divisional format was adopted, the league should do this:

76 game regular season (4 games vs 7 Division rivals, 2 vs all other teams)

Once this is finished, the #4 and #5 seeds in each Division play a best of 5 play-in series, or maybe even best of 7

During this, the top 3 seeds in each division play 6 games (3 vs each) against each other as literally extra regular season games, so they would count for points and likely put seeding at stake, since the matchups would all be head to head between the competing teams (max. 12 point swing!) Even if the seeding is mostly set, 2 of the 3 teams are guaranteed to play in the first round of the playoffs, so these games would act as a preview and allow for tone setting.

Winner of #4/#5 play-in series plays #1, and the 16-team playoff proceeds as normal, without taking any extra time compared to right now. :thumbu:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I like the 4 vs division, 2 vs every one else + 6 extra games for one reason:
It gives the teams in the league a choice which allows them to maximize (with certain limits, of course) revenue from their home schedule.

In reality, the "+6" part allows a consideration to 2 problems which the fanbase discusses commonly:
1- The Canadian teams don't play each other often enough
2- Arizona is getting a bad deal on this alignment.

Reactions: LeafalCrusader

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I would say

2x24=48
4x7=28

could just shorten schedule next year if they play olympics.

the could do an expanded playoffs with some playin round like with 4-5 place team in a cross over format.

id prefer 4 conf with 2 4 team divisions.

48 games
4 against other division=16
6 within government division=18
82 games

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I would say

2x24=48
4x7=28

could just shorten schedule next year if they play olympics.

the could do an expanded playoffs with some playin round like with 4-5 place team in a cross over format.

id prefer 4 conf with 2 4 team divisions.

48 games
4 against other division=16
6 within government division=18
82 games

Considering that would add to the players debt they owe the owners….no shortening future seasons is not an option.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If the league goes to Olympics, it'll be a condensed season of 82 games, as normal.

(Instead of starting first week of October, they're starting nearly 2 weeks later, 10/12. I know they'll be hard pressed to finish a season by mid-April, regardless of Olympic participation/break.)

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Well... it’s a start:

8C007685-6D54-47EF-8B8F-0DA914EBF4DB.jpeg

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

It was though:

Swimming at the 2004 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia

Athens_Olympic_Aquatic_Centre.jpg

Swimming events were held at the main outdoor pool of the complex, which held 10,893 spectators, and was interchangeably used for swimming and water polo events throughout the duration of the games. A plastic-coated tarpualin roof covering the two outdoor pools of the complex, designed to protect spectators and swimmers from being exposed to the summer heat, was originally planned to be built as part of the renovations. However, due to cost overruns and delays in construction, planners decided to scrap the roof in March 2004, which was criticised by FINA, the governing body of water sports. The venue would ultimately be approved by FINA weeks before the opening of the games in August.

The indoor centre was only used for synchronized diving.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Since we're only 2 days away from the schedule being released, has anyone heard if they are going with the A option or the B option? And playoff format?

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Since we're only 2 days away from the schedule being released, has anyone heard if they are going with the A option or the B option? And playoff format?

Nothing has been said officially by the league, but everything I’ve read says they are staying with the 4,3,2 format, with the top 3 and wild card playoff.

I still think they should make it 84 games, just because of the math.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->