2021/22 Roster Thread XVI: Onto the trade deadline (March 21) and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
How in the f*** does Fletch at this point think it's worth playing Nate when he's not an NHLer at all anymore? Why not play any of the actual kids we f***ing have? What point does this serve? Oh right, because he has to give a name to Dave Scott to reiterate and someone for him to stroke to...

f*** you Chuck.
Well you see, Nate worked really hard to get back and analytic nerds are a bunch of bitches so he deserves to play after all that hard work and non-bitchiness.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not the point. The point is it doesn’t matter what G wanted to do. He likely was quiet on it and Fletcher likely told teams like Boston “Sorry he just wants Florida”. He should not be doing that but it seems certain he was. He’s an idiot in terms of street smarts. I should know, I was more the same until my wife has wised me up ha!

The routine never changed. Claude Giroux and his wife Ryanne would find themselves talking daily in recent weeks about their options, if it made sense for the longtime captain of the Philadelphia Flyers to go to a new team, and which one would be the best fit.

The answer never changed, either.

“It was always coming down to Florida,” Giroux said. “It’s something that just feels like it was meant to be.”

“When we were kind of out of the playoffs that’s when I started thinking, where could I go, what would be a good place, a good fit for me to go and play and win a Cup,” Giroux said. “I was just looking around the teams and there was something about Florida. Every time I was tuning into a game, I just liked the way they played. And so, for me, I just thought it’d be a perfect fit.”

Giroux wouldn’t say if he’d have accepted a trade anywhere else. It seems doubtful that he would have.

“He earned that right to decide, to have a big say in where he would go, I think is the best way to put it,” Flyers president and general manager Chuck Fletcher said over the weekend. “I did have a very limited market in terms of the teams I could speak with. I spoke with several teams, but not all of those teams I would have been able to complete a deal with. There was a lot of interest in Claude, but it was a very limited market, ultimately, that I could give him to.”

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The routine never changed. Claude Giroux and his wife Ryanne would find themselves talking daily in recent weeks about their options, if it made sense for the longtime captain of the Philadelphia Flyers to go to a new team, and which one would be the best fit.

The answer never changed, either.

“It was always coming down to Florida,” Giroux said. “It’s something that just feels like it was meant to be.”

“When we were kind of out of the playoffs that’s when I started thinking, where could I go, what would be a good place, a good fit for me to go and play and win a Cup,” Giroux said. “I was just looking around the teams and there was something about Florida. Every time I was tuning into a game, I just liked the way they played. And so, for me, I just thought it’d be a perfect fit.”

Giroux wouldn’t say if he’d have accepted a trade anywhere else. It seems doubtful that he would have.

“He earned that right to decide, to have a big say in where he would go, I think is the best way to put it,” Flyers president and general manager Chuck Fletcher said over the weekend. “I did have a very limited market in terms of the teams I could speak with. I spoke with several teams, but not all of those teams I would have been able to complete a deal with. There was a lot of interest in Claude, but it was a very limited market, ultimately, that I could give him to.”
Again, he didn’t seem to talk to other teams or anyone else. That quote is what husbands and wives do. They talk to each other. Fletcher had no reason to say G was only going to Fla.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Again, he didn’t seem to talk to other teams or anyone else. That quote is what husbands and wives do. They talk to each other. Fletcher had no reason to say G was only going to Fla.
Zito is now an idiot who couldn't figure it out?
We knew weeks ago that it was Colorado or Florida, and if you're Zito, and talks stall with other teams, well, how hard is it to connect the dots.
And there were rumors of packages better than Florida.

The first thing Zito should ask is if G will waive his NMC for him, if Fletcher says yes, you simply note that rumors of better offers were turned down and hold your ground.
And if other GMs ask if G will waive, if Fletcher outright lies, there will be hell to pay and it'll still leak out (because when team get close to finalizing a deal, they'll want confirmation - with a player like G, the resources committed preclude other moves so no one will do so at the last minute).

G was not a priority for Zito (check out their forwards, he's a luxury, not a necessity), so he could sit and wait and see what happens - if G is dealt, he waived his NMC for someone else, if not, it's pretty obvious he wants to go to Florida.

People expect miracles, once G decided on Florida the gig was up. If he had waived for 2 or 3 teams it would have been fun.

The only player who'd get you a good return was Risto, but given under Hextall that half our first and 2nd rd picks flopped, let's not exaggerate the value of late 1st rd and 2nd rd picks.

Carolina managed to trade Hanifin and Lindholm, two top ten picks, for Hamilton, then let him walk, and never missed a beat.
They picked up Terevainen for a 2nd and 3rd rd picks
Trocheck for Luostarinen (2nd rd)
Niederreiter for Rask
Slavin 4th rd, Pesce 3rd rd picks

Point is it's more about coaching and identifying talent than stockpiling picks.
We're going to have a young team, with a lot of prospects at LHV the next two seasons if done right, key is the right HC who knows how to work with young players.
That's why hiring another Dino would be a disaster, and why I didn't want Boudreau, Gallant, Trots or the other names thrown around.
I want the next Sullivan, Cooper, BrindA'mour.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We knew weeks ago that it was Colorado or Florida, and if you're Zito, and talks stall with other teams, well, how hard is it to connect the dots.

The first thing Zito should ask is if G will waive his NMC for him, if Fletcher says yes, you simply note that rumors of better offers were turned down and hold your ground.
And if other GMs ask if G will waive, if Fletcher outright lies, there will be hell to pay and it'll still leak out (because when team get close to finalizing a deal, they'll want confirmation - with a player like G, the resources committed preclude other moves so no one will do so at the last minute).

G was not a priority for Zito (check out their forwards, he's a luxury, not a necessity), so he could sit and wait and see what happens - if G is dealt, he waived his NMC for someone else, if not, it's pretty obvious he wants to go to Florida.

People expect miracles, once G decided on Florida the gig was up. If he had waived for 2 or 3 teams it would have been fun.

The only player who'd get you a good return was Risto, but given under Hextall that half our first and 2nd rd picks flopped, let's not exaggerate the value of late 1st rd and 2nd rd picks.

Carolina managed to trade Hanifin and Lindholm, two top ten picks, for Hamilton, then let him walk, and never missed a beat.
Niederreiter for Rask

Point is it's more about coaching and identifying talent than stockpiling picks.
We're going to have a young team, with a lot of prospects at LHV the next two seasons if done right, key is the right HC who knows how to work with young players.
That's why hiring another Dino would be a disaster, and why I didn't want Boudreau, Gallant, Trots or the other names thrown around.

Good teams can afford to miss occasionally because they've been hitting on most other things.

A team like the Flyers run by a dude who always misses can't really afford to rack up more misses.

Comparing any Fletcher-run team to a well managed team is a non-starter. Apples to oranges.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

This season in Philly is cooked. Best to play the slop, lose and improve the draft position. The Phantoms have a decent chance of making the playoffs in the A since they have a few games in hand. It probably is better to bring in the college guys and play them in LV. If the Phantoms do make the POs, they'll get more pro experience than if they were in Philly where the season will be shorter.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Niederreiter for Rask

Actually it was widely reported that the Avs were the top choice for awhile. Longer than it was reported that it was Florida. So there was plenty of excuse for Fletcher. You also don’t have to turn down offers or tell Boston and NY that Giroux will not waive for them. Just keep negotiating and slow play it. It’s not my method either, but I would do it.

Picking up Slavin and Pesce in late rounds helps with a lot. Need numbers, accuracy, and development. This is supposed to be a top org. No reason they should be be picking up in the margins.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We've already recalled every warm body from LHV and given them a shot.
Laczynski and Allison are on rehab assignments, they missed most of the season, they should be up in the near future.
Our best college kids are in the playoffs, starting this weekend, so they can't play for another week or two.

Or are you desperate to watch Sushko and Strome? Hogberg and Wylie?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually it was widely reported that the Avs were the top choice for awhile. Longer than it was reported that it was Florida. So there was plenty of excuse for Fletcher. You also don’t have to turn down offers or tell Boston and NY that Giroux will not waive for them. Just keep negotiating and slow play it. It’s not my method either, but I would do it.

Picking up Slavin and Pesce in late rounds helps with a lot. Need numbers, accuracy, and development. This is supposed to be a top org. No reason they should be be picking up in the margins.
The fact that those rumors had legs suggest Fletcher wasn't volunteering information about Giroux's NMC, or that would have squelched all those rumors and interest from other teams.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We've already recalled every warm body from LHV and given them a shot.
Laczynski and Allison are on rehab assignments, they missed most of the season, they should be up in the near future.
Our best college kids are in the playoffs, starting this weekend, so they can't play for another week or two.

Or are you desperate to watch Sushko and Strome? Hogberg and Wylie?

To find out where they stand relative to the NHL. Why do you even need to ask? Evaluate the entire player pool.

Are you desperate to watch Yandle and Thompson?

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Right. They have enough centers to play out the remaining meaningless 20 games.

Hayes - Laughton - Frost - Brown

Who gives a shit? Losses are better for them anyway.

My guess is that Brassard and Jones are going to be re-signed to 1 year deals and that's why they haven't been moved. Could he have traded them and then re-signed them? Yes, but he's stupid, so...no.
Fletcher said in his presser that when Thompson comes back he will play center

Reactions: Striiker

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Makes way more sense that the leaks would originate from Giroux's side.

1. He's obviously making the decision based on conversations with family. You think his wife didn't tell friends they'd be going to Florida?

2. Giroux almost certainly told his teammates. You think players around the league weren't texting G and his teammates trying to get the scoop?

But even ignoring those elements, you think Joe Sakic and Bill Zito weren't in communication?

This wasn't a mystery for Zito to figure out, any more than it was a mystery to Boston with Taylor Hall last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad