Speculation: 2021-22 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
No-diving would be great but it's totally aspirational. Refs still commonly make tripping calls on dives. While this is ethical messaging on Eakins' part, the fact is it will probably lead to the Ducks not getting calls if they aren't diving.
we aren't getting calls anyway, we get less calls than any other team. refs have no interest in giving us calls so might as well establish some moral high ground.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
No-diving would be great but it's totally aspirational. Refs still commonly make tripping calls on dives. While this is ethical messaging on Eakins' part, the fact is it will probably lead to the Ducks not getting calls if they aren't diving.
I'd prefer if the league banned diving and suspended players who dive and do post game video review of diving like they do with illegal hits to the head.
The refs probably think that less penalties are commited against the Ducks because from their point of view they are less likely to notice as many because the Ducks are 0% diving.
Either the league bans diving altogether or the Ducks are missing out in an increase in PP time that could help players like Zegras break out.

Maybe there is 2 types of diving. One where there really is a penalty but the player dives so that the refs have an easier time spotting it because refs eyes can't be everywhere perfectly. The other being where a player dives when a penalty wasn't commited and thats the kind of diving i hate the most.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Mahura Shattenkirk would be in contention for worst DEFENSIVE pairing in Ducks history. I am serious too, Mahura would be getting pushed around/on the ice half the time and Shattenkirk would be puck watching with a finger up his butt.

If Mahura is playing you better put him with Manson.....

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I really so think that embellishment should be called more. I like that Eakins is attempting to instil that into the team. Might earn some good faith with the refs.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
we aren't getting calls anyway, we get less calls than any other team. refs have no interest in giving us calls so might as well establish some moral high ground.
I checked this awhile back and I think I found that in the last 20 years we've been bottom 10 in net penalty calls all but 4 of those, and we're usually bottom 3. Good team, bad team, different coaches, totally different roster, same result.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I checked this awhile back and I think I found that in the last 20 years we've been bottom 10 in net penalty calls all but 4 of those, and we're usually bottom 3. Good team, bad team, different coaches, totally different roster, same result.
Captain Getzlaf is part of the reason for that. The Ducks under captain Niedermayer in 2006-07 were able to draw more penalties than the Ducks were penalized.
As far as i can remember Niedermayer wasn't as anti-embellish as Getzlaf is.
Despite the fact that the Ducks had a ton of goons, enforcers, physical forwards/dmen they still were net positive in drawing penalties
even though the Ducks had the most PIM per game in the league.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
When you never have the puck it's hard to draw a penalty, who would have known.

Reactions: dracom

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Mahura Shattenkirk would be in contention for worst DEFENSIVE pairing in Ducks history. I am serious too, Mahura would be getting pushed around/on the ice half the time and Shattenkirk would be puck watching with a finger up his butt.

If Mahura is playing you better put him with Manson.....
My reason for wanting to see Mahura over Larsson is only because i want a different player to complain about lol.
I'm so tired of Larsson. He's getting paid 1.1 mil this year, save some money and waive him to the AHL.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I'd prefer if the league banned diving and suspended players who dive and do post game video review of diving like they do with illegal hits to the head.
The refs probably think that less penalties are commited against the Ducks because from their point of view they are less likely to notice as many because the Ducks are 0% diving.
Either the league bans diving altogether or the Ducks are missing out in an increase in PP time that could help players like Zegras break out.

Maybe there is 2 types of diving. One where there really is a penalty but the player dives so that the refs have an easier time spotting it because refs eyes can't be everywhere perfectly. The other being where a player dives when a penalty wasn't commited and thats the kind of diving i hate the most.
Right, they definitely aren't always easy calls to make. I think Eakins is intimating no diving under any circumstances and if we're talking about the first scenario you mentioned, we probably would lose out over the course of a season. the 2nd type you could argue you risk getting an embellishing call as well. Basically i kinda agree with him in an aspirational sense but maybe not in practice?

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
The refs can only call what they see and are sometimes in a trash position to see if something was embellished or not. If they call out the offending players loud and clear after the games it may just sort itself out. Embarassment is a powerful motivator.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
When you’re known in the league as a team that won’t tolerate your guys diving . That bodes well for not being picked on by refs anymore . Also when we do get hooked, we will get those calls more.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
When you’re known in the league as a team that won’t tolerate your guys diving . That bodes well for not being picked on by refs anymore . Also when we do get hooked, we will get those calls more.
I wouldn’t be optimistic about that. Nashville historically has had a bunch of known divers on their team, and although I didn’t look it up, I’d bet they are top 10 in penalties drawn almost every season over the last 5-6 years. Colorado probably is starting to fall under that category now. Most of their skill guys are a bunch of embellishers.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It’s unfortunate what happened to Milano last year but he will need to get on the board when he’s in games this season. He is not a competent defensive player and if we’re being honest is fairly limited offensively as well.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I'm so confused, so will the Bally Sports games NOT be available on ESPN+? It says we have 8 games that will be available nationally on ESPN, ESPN+, and Hulu. That makes no sense considering you're supposed to get over 1000 out of market games or whatever they said.
Plenty of ways to watch......

Reactions: duxfan1101

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I'm so confused, so will the Bally Sports games NOT be available on ESPN+? It says we have 8 games that will be available nationally on ESPN, ESPN+, and Hulu. That makes no sense considering you're supposed to get over 1000 out of market games or whatever they said.

Every single game not on TNT will be available with ESPN+ if you're out of market (or using a VPN). Seems like they wrote that with in market fans in mind. Inside the Ducks market without a VPN you won't get any of the games on Ballys or KCOP with ESPN+.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think you can get all the games on ESPN + if you are not a local resident of So Cal. So myself and my other east coast bros should be able to watch all the games on ESPN +.

That is how I’m understanding it. Since I cannot get Rangers, Devils or Islanders on ESPN+ Unless it’s being nationally Televised like a NBC game was. I looked at some preseason games and it says Black Out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad