Speculation: 2021-22 Roster Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Shit I forgot about Milano too... I think he will be in lineup actually. Someone's really gonna lose a spot from training camp/pre-season.

We have a lot of forwards that I dunno if we have to have McTavish in the lineup. Of course, if McTavish "pucks out", then we'll have to do a lot of roster juggling or only carry 6 d-men for a time being. It would suck if we ended up waiving Steel and he gets picked up by another team b/c we could have simply kept Fleury and exposed Steel.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Heck
After our normal onslaught of injuries, we will be picking up waiver guys to play

I like our depth going into this season than last season, though. We got Groulx and Carrick down the middle with wingers Tracey and Perreault in the AHL, though the latter pair probably shouldn't be seen at the NHL level this year. On defense, we have an abundance of LHD's and a young RHD in Andersson.

But knock on wood that we stay healthy all season!

Reactions: pbgoalie

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Comtois-Zegras-Rakell
Volkov-Henrique-Terry
Jones-Lundeström-Getzlaf
Deslauriers-Grant-Silverberg
Steel, Milano, Rieder, Carrick, Lettieri

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Drysdale
Benoit/Larsson-Pateryn

-1st line is all about offence. Comtois and Zegras together needs no explanation. Rakell has had some disappointing seasons last few years. I believe his scoring touch could be reignited with good linemates. He's on his last season of his contract, which should motivate him to do better.
- 2nd line is something I would like to see. Volkov is interesting, he's fine two-way player and I think that line could score from time to time depending on if Henrique is on a hot streak. Otherwise they would be capable of playing responsibly.
- 3rd line is the defence line.
- 4th line is about energy. I would have those three guys on a short leash if they are not bringing it, bring someone who does.
- I don't know where Milano or Steel fit in all of this but I think they get a chance when there are injuries. I think Rieder could be ideal 13th forward 'cos he can play in all situations (ideally in bottom 6 role though).
- The defence is what it is. Lindholm and Manson take on the best lines, Fowler and Drysdale bring offence. With the 3rd pairing I thought f*** Shattenkirk, he's not good and I don't think the team needs his skillset. I would much prefer a shutdown defenceman. Pateryn has almost 300 games worth of NHL experience so why not give him a shot. Benoit would be ideal type of player for shutdown role, though I'm not sure if he's ready so maybe give Larsson one last chance.

I wouldn't expect too much out of this lineup. I would focus on defence and getting scored against less so Gibson doesn't lose his mind. Also I would give Henrique, Manson and Rakell a chance to shine so if any of them are traded at the deadline, they can get a good return for them.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't like the Fowler/Drysdale pairing. I think one of them needs to be with Lindholm and since Drysdale is RHD he should be it. Our 3rd pairing is a nightmare defensively relying on 1 pairing to play defense is a headache waiting to happen. Even if it worked out like you guys think...

What most people want

Lindholm Manson (defensive zone)
Fowler Drysdale (offensive zone)
Mahura/Shattenkirk (Imagine this in the D zone) or Larsson/Shattenkirk (barf)

I think we need more balance, our 3rd pairing is going to be a nightmare. I'd prefer a defensive player and an offensive player on each pairing.

What I purpose

Fowler/Manson (all situations)
Lindholm/Drysdale (all situations)
Benoit/Shattenkirk (when the pairings are tired lol)

Would also give more options for special teams imo.... What happens if we go with the top pairings and Lindholm/Manson take a penalty or are out there for a long shift and a penalty happens.... I do not want Fowler/Drysdale killing a PK or our 3rd pairing out there with Shattenkirk. Same thing for the powerplay...

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Comtois-Zegras-Rakell
Volkov-Henrique-Terry
Jones-Lundeström-Getzlaf
Deslauriers-Grant-Silverberg
Steel, Milano, Rieder, Carrick, Lettieri

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Drysdale
Benoit/Larsson-Pateryn

Maybe change the bottom six a bit...

3rd line: Milano/Carrick-Lundy-Silfy
4th line: Des-Grant-Getz

Lundy's fast, but Getz isn't and might hinder the speed of the line. Pairing up Silfy with Lundy is better because both are defensive minded forwards, but Silfy can snipe. I would rather have Milano or Carrick over Jones because the formers seem to know what to do with the puck on the offensive end than Jones. Jones is best suited for fourth line duty with his speed, bull in a China shop mentality, and lack of offensive creativity. Jones is great at getting to the net, but we've been wanting something more for quite a while.

Getz with Des and Grant might make that team more offensive as Grant loves to play offense and Des has goal scoring capabilities. Plus, it would limit Getz' ice time to make him more durable and spry for the season. Maybe rotate Getz with Steel and Jones. Coincidently enough, Grant is the type of forward that fits the mold of a Maroon or Penner such that they're bigger forwards who love being around the net to score goals. Getz has better chemistry with those types of forwards.

I know should be given Steel more opportunities, but his past two seasons have soured me on his prospect. Steel was one of the prospects I was very high on after his junior career b/c his D+1 was amazing where he scored 131 points in only 66 games, notching 50 goals. Yet, the org is dead set on him being a center than a wing and that will limit his opportunities as we're stacked today with Groulx knocking on the NHL door and McTavish soon to come.

Curious, why isn't our other whipping defenseman up on the roster in Shattenkirk? I get why you left him off as many of us would want that as well, but he's probably the best option out of the rest. Leaving him on third pairing duties actually might improve his game as he won't be playing on the ice as often.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What I purpose

Would also give more options for special teams imo.... What happens if we go with the top pairings and Lindholm/Manson take a penalty or are out there for a long shift and a penalty happens.... I do not want Fowler/Drysdale killing a PK or our 3rd pairing out there with Shattenkirk. Same thing for the powerplay...

This would be big on the road too... at home, we can get that top pair matchup if we need to. On the road having Lindholm or Manson on the ice with Drysdale or Fowler means they can't get exposed as easily.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
This would be big on the road too... at home, we can get that top pair matchup if we need to. On the road having Lindholm or Manson on the ice with Drysdale or Fowler means they can't get exposed as easily.
Eakins is not a very good coach, even at home.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What I purpose

Here's another idea, but one that many will not like...

Lindholm-Benoit/Andersson
Fowler-Manson
Drysdale-Shattenkirk

If we go with Benoit, then we have two defensemen playing on their off of their natural side. Benoit and Andersson physically are ahead of Drysdale. Maybe they can handle playing top minutes with Lindholm than either Drysdale or Shattenkirk. I really want to protect Drysdale as well as Shattenkirk on the third pairing.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Here's another idea, but one that many will not like...

Lindholm-Benoit/Andersson
Fowler-Manson
Drysdale-Shattenkirk

If we go with Benoit, then we have two defensemen playing on their off of their natural side. Benoit and Andersson physically are ahead of Drysdale. Maybe they can handle playing top minutes with Lindholm than either Drysdale or Shattenkirk. I really want to protect Drysdale as well as Shattenkirk on the third pairing.
Benoit is LHD and Drysdale is RHD.... Why would we play both on their off side. I think playing Drysdale on the left is one of the dumbest thing I have ever seen in my entire life watching the Ducks to be honest. He did okay when they tried it I guess but having a teenager play his offside in the NHL while he is still developing and learning is so stupid especially when he is one of the pillars of our teams future. Benoit or Andersson are not playing with Lindholm this season lol cmon dude.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Jones was playing with 2 tryouts both practices I saw, not sure if that means he's lower on the depth chart or what but yeah. He still had chicken with his head cut off syndrome.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Eakins is not a very good coach, even at home.

Last year, we were catastrophically mediocre at home.

2020-21Ducks
Game typeGamesWLOTLPts
Total561730943
Away281211529
Home28519414
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I don't know why we were far better on the road than at home because it doesn't make sense. Is it really all mental from the coaching staff to the players?

2020-21DucksAwayGames
Game typeGamesWLOTLPts
Total Away281211529
First 14 1456313
Last 141475216
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We were consistent on the road from the beginning of the season compared to the end. We actually improved, probably due to Manson's return?​

Dunno why we were Jekyll and Hyde on where we played last year, but it could be very promising that a turnaround might be closer than we think if we can be just as good at home like we were on the road last year. With reports @Static shared that Zegras has been looked at as an alpha for the team and the coaches talk to him to get other players to fall in line, then it's possible that the new assistant coaches plus Zegras can steady the mental aspect of consistent high play regardless where we play.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Benoit is LHD and Drysdale is RHD.... Why would we play both on their off side. I think playing Drysdale on the left is one of the dumbest thing I have ever seen in my entire life watching the Ducks to be honest. He did okay when they tried it I guess but having a teenager play his offside in the NHL while he is still developing and learning is so stupid especially when he is one of the pillars of our teams future. Benoit or Andersson are not playing with Lindholm this season lol cmon dude.

I don't think you read any of my post for your response and looked only at the lineup. There were only FIVE sentences in my post that addressed your queries. C'mon, dude, have respect to read.

You do know defensemen do play on their off-sides. It's not a rare thing to see LHD playing RD. It's rare seeing RHD playing LD, but the Ducks just that last season when Manson returned to the line up and we had a right side of Manson, Hakanpaa, and Shattenkirk with Drysdale playing LD. Only after we traded Hankanpaa did Drysdale finally shift over.

Because Drysdale wasn't looking all that as the season went, which meant him playing in his natural side. He might be physically overmatched while playing too many minutes at the NHL level. To me, sheltering Drysdale until he can physically handle top pairing competition and minutes is a priority... unless you like seeing one of our pillars' body and psyche get run down too early in his career.

Unlike you, I do read your complete post. Maybe Benoit shouldn't be on the top pairing and we can shelter him with Fowler, whom we do shelter from difficult opposition. Benoit is a defensive d-man and defensive d-men work well with Fowler. Hakanpaa proved to be a top-4 d-man for us when paired with Fowler. Gudbranson looked good paired with Fowler.

Now, I'm just doing what you're doing, which is throwing out ideas. Am I saying that should be the case? Nope. But you do fail to comprehend the reason of slotting Drysdale on the third pairing and playing on his off-side. Again, reiterating, it probably won't happen.

BTW, did you just list Fowler-Manson as our top line? So Fowler would be going up against the opponent's best forward line. Have you not learned your lesson over the several years yet? It's Lindholm who gets those duties regardless who is pair-mate is. Hell, it was Lindholm-Shattenkirk as our first pairing last year and Lindholm made it work.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think you read any of my post for your response and looked only at the lineup. There were only FIVE sentences in my post that addressed your queries. C'mon, dude, have respect to read.

You do know defensemen do play on their off-sides. It's not a rare thing to see LHD playing RD. It's rare seeing RHD playing LD, but the Ducks just that last season when Manson returned to the line up and we had a right side of Manson, Hakanpaa, and Shattenkirk with Drysdale playing LD. Only after we traded Hankanpaa did Drysdale finally shift over.

Because Drysdale wasn't looking all that as the season went, which meant him playing in his natural side. He might be physically overmatched while playing too many minutes at the NHL level. To me, sheltering Drysdale until he can physically handle top pairing competition and minutes is a priority... unless you like seeing one of our pillars' body and psyche get run down too early in his career.

Unlike you, I do read your complete post. Maybe Benoit shouldn't be on the top pairing and we can shelter him with Fowler, whom we do shelter from difficult opposition. Benoit is a defensive d-man and defensive d-men work well with Fowler. Hakanpaa proved to be a top-4 d-man for us when paired with Fowler. Gudbranson looked good paired with Fowler.

Now, I'm just doing what you're doing, which is throwing out ideas. Am I saying that should be the case? Nope. But you do fail to comprehend the reason of slotting Drysdale on the third pairing and playing on his off-side. Again, reiterating, it probably won't happen.

BTW, did you just list Fowler-Manson as our top line? So Fowler would be going up against the opponent's best forward line. Have you not learned your lesson over the several years yet? It's Lindholm who gets those duties regardless who is pair-mate is. Hell, it was Lindholm-Shattenkirk as our first pairing last year and Lindholm made it work.
I don't read any of your full posts tbh lol. Sorry. Playing our potential franchise defensemen on his off side when he is still eligible for WJC... STUPID we aren't competing for jack shit let him develop on his natural side!!!!!

Reactions: Deuce22

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

I beat Linda cohns brothers ass in a tournament and she was in the stands lol. Her brother is a straight tool almost killed my teammate.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I do not expect to see this but this is what I’d like:

Comtois-Zegras-Terry
Jones-Getzlaf-Rakell
Steel-Rico-Silfverberg
Grant-Lundy-Volkov

thats somewhat similar to what I want.

if we try and spread our talent over three lines:

Comtois Zegras Silfverberg
Rakell Getzlaf Volkov/Jones
Steel Henrique Terry
Lundestrom Grant Volkov/Jones

If we load up the (limited) talent we have onto two lines:

Comtois Zegras Terry
Henrique Getzlaf Rakell
Jones Steel Silfverberg
Lundestrom Grant Volkov

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
“I know that players do this on their own or maybe they’re being encouraged,” Eakins said. “It’s been one of my rules since I started being a head coach. If you’re going to dive, we’re going to have a problem. It’s the most disgusting thing in the game to me. I would rather somebody cross-check me in the face than dive. That’s not happening here with our team.”

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
“I know that players do this on their own or maybe they’re being encouraged,” Eakins said. “It’s been one of my rules since I started being a head coach. If you’re going to dive, we’re going to have a problem. It’s the most disgusting thing in the game to me. I would rather somebody cross-check me in the face than dive. That’s not happening here with our team.”
It sucks because you know other teams are going to do it to you and get away with it, but I do agree that I hate seeing someone on my team dive. Comtois really bothered me in the WJC.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
No wonder the Ducks don't get many Powerplays.
I hate diving but given how the Refs hate giving the Ducks a powerplay, a tiny bit of diving wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad