Speculation: 2021-22 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Fleury didn't start with the Ducks at the NHL level and yet he's a notable subtraction. That means Fleury had to be a notable addition. I can use that standard.

• C/LW Zegras and RHD Drysdale didn't start the season in the NHL. Zegras was called up at wing, sent back down to prep being a center, and then called up again as a center later in the season. At the center position, Zegras only played 7 games to close out the season. He and Drysdale only got in 24 NHL games, which still qualifies them for the Calder this coming season. (25 NHL games is when rookie becomes eligible for the Calder.)
  • Another player that didn't start with the Ducks, but he was acquired via trade during the season was F Volkov.
  • G Stolarz signed a two-year extension as an UFA. The UFA status is important because it means Stolarz could have gone anywhere else, unlike RFA status players.

The original Notable additions are all AHL'ers. They're simply additions than notable additions. De Leo and Welinski are AHL'ers, both aren't notable subtractions with respect to the NHL level.

Updated notable additions: Trevor Zegras, Jamie Drysdale, Alexander Volkov, Anthony Stolarz ... Pateryn, Robinson, O'Regan, Rafferty

Welp, that has been my version going into this season all off-season. Zegras was more productive to close out the season as a centerman, both at the AHL and NHL levels.

2020-21 AHL (Regular Season games), Zegras

Zegras
AHLGamesGAPtsPPG rate
Total171011211.24
Wing84591.13
Center966121.33
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2020-21 NHL, Zegras

Zegras
NHLGamesGAPtsPPG rate
Total24310130.54
Wing171670.41
Center72460.86
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And with how Zegras has been so far this off-season at the rookie tourney in Arizona and in training camp, the Ducks may have found a leader and potential captain along with continued developing elite skills.
Our offseason was absolutely craptastic, as has been said before, you really reach to defend Murray sometimes. It’s literally just a list of offseason additions and subtractions

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Our offseason was absolutely craptastic, as has been said before, you really reach to defend Murray sometimes. It’s literally just a list of offseason additions and subtractions

Oh... I do agree our off-season was abysmal as we did essentially nothing to add to our NHL club. I've never contested that. Which means you're absolutely wrong that I'm defending Murray. Hell, I was disappointed that we didn't protect D Fleury at the expansion draft, but had a feeling Murray would end up protecting Silfy b/c Silfy is his guy, which meant we'd protect only 3 d-men. I don't know how many times I've told you specifically that I agree our off-season was terrible with respect to not adding any worthwhile top-6 forwards. It's as if you are immune to events that run contrary to your thoughts to keep pushing a false narrative.

If you read the thread carefully, the OG poster included a player that wasn't with the team to start the season in Fleury. Also, the OG poster cited "notable additions" and "notable subtractions", but didn't cite the descriptor "off-season". If that's the standard, then why not entertain in-season moves? I didn't set the standard, so maybe you should check yourself at the post and read with careful distinction.

Anyhow, Stolarz re-signed with the Ducks as he was set to be an UFA this off-season, except he re-signed in January. Stolarz was a missed addition because he didn't sign specifically after the season. This negates losing Miller, who the OG poster identified as a notable subtraction, though Miller lost his touch for the 2020-21 season and needed to retire.

Why are you adamant that I don't identify players that didn't start with the Ducks last year, but will start with the Ducks this year? It's as if you want the Duck fans to have no optimism at all. The addition of Zegras at center to start this season is going to be huge! So many reports relay that Zegras looks like the most talented player on the ice. Volkov played fewer games with the Ducks than either Zegras or Drysdale. Stolarz ended being our best netminder last season. There is some, not a lot, but some reason for optimism going into this season. If the Ducks are lucky with health and development, then we don't reflect later into the season with the absolutist idea that, "No one saw this coming."

Remember the McTavish saga? Remember Tracey is a bust? Who in the hell saw McTavish going 3rd to the Ducks?! Wait, Tracey isn't a bust?! There's gotta be some logical reason why only a few were spot on, but why try to understand how they got that logic, right? No! There can be no other possibility for anything else!!! grumble, grumble ... stomp, stomp

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
The offseason absolutely wasn't something inspiring. I guess I'm not bothered as much because we are in the rebuild phase. Realistically any move made wouldn't have moved the needle in a big way in all probability.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
From everything I have seen and heard I guess this is what I want

Comtois Zegras Silf
Rakell Lundestrom Terry
Henrique Getzlaf Steel
Deslauriers Grant Jones

Lindholm Drysdale
Fowler Manson (figure it out)
Larsson/Beniot/Guhle/Mahura Shattenkirk

This team is gonna be bad.

I am all about development this season and Drysdale needs to be with Lindholm

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Drysdale plays in the NHL I would rather ease him in and shelter him than throw him to the Wolves playing on Lindholms pairing against top competition. After his initial strong start lower down the lineup he really struggled playing with Manson against top lines in the lineup later on in the season.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
If Drysdale plays in the NHL I would rather ease him in and shelter him than throw him to the Wolves playing on Lindholms pairing against top competition. After his initial strong start lower down the lineup he really struggled playing with Manson against top lines in the lineup later on in the season.
Play Fowler and Manson against them then. Who cares we aren't winning regardless. Lindholm has carried AHL scrubs when he was younger they would be fine.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Comtois Zegras Silf
Rakell Lundestrom Terry
Henrique Getzlaf Steel
Deslauriers Grant Jones

Lindholm Drysdale

That 3rd line will win every faceoff lol. If Getz is kicked out of the faceoff then either Steel or Henrique wins it.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
upload_2021-9-27_11-47-39.png

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Play Fowler and Manson against them then. Who cares we aren't winning regardless. Lindholm has carried AHL scrubs when he was younger they would be fine.

Whats the point in having Lindholm who is one of the best defensive dmen in the league not going up against top competition? Throwing Drysdale on his pairing is like throwing Fowler on the top pairing with Beauchemin against top competition in his sophomore year, it didn’t end well for anyone.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Whats the point in having Lindholm who is one of the best defensive dmen in the league not going up against top competition? Throwing Drysdale on his pairing is like throwing Fowler on the top pairing with Beauchemin against top competition in his sophomore year, it didn’t end well for anyone.

We have 2 "top" pairings (maybe more like 2nd pairings). They are all going to be playing in every situation. Our bottom pair is always awful.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013

lindholm might appreciate it enough to sign with us

edit:

I agree though it’s so important to shelter Jamie. No need to break his confidence for this season. Unless he shows he can excel while playing with hampus.

I’m still a big proponent of a hampus and Fowler top pair but I’m uncomfortable with drysdale leading a second pair and I don’t think Manson is capable of that either.

Last edited:
Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

Comtois Zegras Silf
Rakell Lundestrom Terry
Henrique Getzlaf Steel
Deslauriers Grant Jones

Lindholm Drysdale

I think id prefer this:
MC-Z-Raks
Rico-Lundy/Steel-Terry
Volkov-Getz-Silf
Jones-Steel/Lundy-Grant/ ND/Carrick
There is an argument to swap Silf and Raks.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I completely forgot about Volkov.... replace Steel with him in my lineup. The best way I can describe Steels play is "he's there."

Comtois Zegras Silf
Rakell Lundestrom Terry
Henrique Getzlaf Volkov
Deslauriers Grant Jones

or

Comtois Zegras Silf
Rakell Henrique Terry
Getzlaf Lundestrom Volkov
Deslauriers Grant/Steel Jones

Reactions: robbieboy3686

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see anyway how Deslauriers isn't an everyday player with how soft this team is and how many young players are going to be playing big minutes. Steel is going to have to prove something because I don't see where he fits if they really want him at center.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I completely forgot about Volkov.... replace Steel with him in my lineup. The best way I can describe Steels play is "he's there."

Comtois Zegras Silf
Rakell Lundestrom Terry
Henrique Getzlaf Volkov
Deslauriers Grant Jones

or

Comtois Zegras Silf
Rakell Henrique Terry
I think I prefer the second set. Terry and Rico really look their best together imo.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Until I see Silf not playing terrible hockey he shouldn't be anywhere near our best skill players. It's either Terry or Rakell at RW for Z, period. Put Drysdale with Fowler and put them in the most advantageous offensive situations.

Reactions: DavidBL and MMC

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Until I see Silf not playing terrible hockey he shouldn't be anywhere near our best skill players. It's either Terry or Rakell at RW for Z, period. Put Drysdale with Fowler and put them in the most advantageous offensive situations.
This. I'd put Volkov at top line RW before Silf at this point

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

Comtois Zegras Silf
Rakell Lundestrom Terry
Henrique Getzlaf Volkov
Deslauriers Grant Jones

or

Comtois Zegras Silf
Rakell Henrique Terry
Shit I forgot about Milano too... I think he will be in lineup actually. Someone's really gonna lose a spot from training camp/pre-season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

But they'd also be a disadvantage for us in defensive situations b/c of their inability to win puck battles along the boards. I think this is why Fowler works best with a defensive guy to do the dirty work while he can fly up the ice with the puck once it's given to him from someone else who won the puck in the scrum along the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad