Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospect Development Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Wheeler did his top 50 for the Athletic, our only prospect on the list was Harley (Borque got an HM):

35. Thomas Harley, LHD, 20 (Dallas Stars — 18th overall, 2019)
Harley’s going to be another fascinating exercise in player evaluation and deployment because whether or not Harley ever gets to be the best version of himself will likely depend greatly on coaching and just how fast the game can catch up to guys who play like him. He’s at his best when he’s playing a confident, freeflowing, roving style that allows him to use his impressive skating to lead rushes, carry the puck deep into the offensive zone and look to make something happen. I think the Harley that sits back on his heels, crosses over into outlets, defends the rush passively with his feet and length and contributes on the power play is a fine player that the Stars will be happy with. I’ve seen that player. He tried (twice) to play that game in auditions with Canada for the world juniors, and actually played it at the tournament once. But I want to see him looking at taking risks to take over games in a system that gives him a longer leash than that. Because I think in that setting he can be a truly unique kind of player. We’ll see whether he’s ever allowed to be.

Don't know if he's calling out our coaching, or the nature of conservative coaching specifically, but reading that makes me hope he just stays in the AHL until the current dinosaurs on the bench get struck by a meteor. TBH, I don't even know what our AHL coaching looks like, so hopefully he is encouraged to use his tools like Klingberg was when he came through to the NHL.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I enjoy Wheeler's coverage, but you can't read into his coaching comment. At this point it seems like he has a single write up on Harley that he just reuses every time with minor tweaks.

For the past 2 years, every single thing he's written about Harley has centered on whether Harley would be permitted to unlock his true potential because of antiquated, NHL coach tendencies.

He's not wrong or anything, but it's essentially the bulk of his observations about Harley.

Reactions: MrHeiskanen

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I enjoy Wheeler's coverage, but you can't read into his coaching comment. At this point it seems like he has a single write up on Harley that he just reuses every time with minor tweaks.

For the past 2 years, every single thing he's written about Harley has centered on whether Harley would be permitted to unlock his true potential because of antiquated, NHL coach tendencies.

He's not wrong or anything, but it's essentially the bulk of his observations about Harley.

Honestly it reads that way. You would expect a top 50 scouting report on a player like Harley to talk about how he showed progress in the AHL, but he doesn't mention it at all. I just assume he barely watched him this year, if at all. I guess it's the nature of Stars prospects, they just really don't seem to get a lot of coverage. I'd be lying if I said I expected Robertson to basically play at an all star level in his rookie season, but considering how he came out I'm really surprised he didn't get more hype. I don't even see him get mentioned in the numerous reports I read about his brother, and hockey writers f***ing love the bloodline angle usually.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Caamano, Felhaber, and Gleason.. I didn't know crack was legal in Texas?
Legality is such a small inconvenience.
It's super easy to get ones hands on anything, and in some cases even easier to get something illegally than legally.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
They really don't have much space. I imagine they bring in a goalie though as well. Forward though seems like they can really afford to bring someone in to Traverse.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
They really don't have much space. I imagine they bring in a goalie though as well. Forward though seems like they can really afford to bring someone in to Traverse.

Probably another D invite, maybe two. Goalie they might invite or might not, lots of teams run with 2 at past Traverse tourneys.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
September 16 - 20, 2021
Capture4_large.JPG

TimeHomeScoreVisitorRink
Thursday September 16
3:00pmColumbus Blue JacketsToronto Maple LeafsCI - West Rink
7:00pmDetroit Red WingsDallas StarsCI - West Rink
Friday September 17
3:00pmSt. Louis BluesToronto Maple LeafsCI - West Rink
7:00pmDallas StarsColumbus Blue JacketsCI - West Rink
Saturday September 18
7:00pmSt. Louis BluesDetroit Red WingsCI - West Rink
Sunday September 19
2:00pmToronto Maple LeafsDallas StarsCI - West Rink
6:00pmColumbus Blue JacketsDetroit Red WingsCI - West Rink
Monday September 20
12:00pmDallas StarsSt. Louis BluesCI - West Rink
1:00pmToronto Maple LeafsColumbus Blue JacketsCI - Davids Rink
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
The proper spelling of 2020 6th round pick Yevgeni Oksentyuk is now Yauheni Aksiantsiuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad