Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospect Development Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I was looking at Dallas' current Euro players, and I was wondering if Samuel Sjolund (2019 pick) was staying with AIK in HockeyAllsvenskan. Apparently no.

I didn't realize this, but Dubuque has a Swedish GM, and he took a ton of Swedes in their draft, including Sjolund in the 2nd round.

The Swedish GM did an interview with a Swedish paper, and it seems like several, including Sjolund, are expected to play for Dubque next season.

What also is strange is somehow Sjolund has an American passport according to the GM, and he won't could as an import.

Svenskens drag – draftade åtta blågula spelare - Hockeysverige – Mer av sporten du älskar

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
AIK confirmed that Samuel Sjolund won't be back with them, and he hasn't signed with any Swedish teams. He was always a long-shot/long-term project, but turning 21 this season and in the USHL is not entirely appetizing.

AIK Hockey tackar spelare för sin tid i klubben

That is the fast track to bust town right there. I don't really understand why he'd be essentially go from playing against men to playing against kids as a 21 year old in the USHL. Actually, I didn't even know you could play in the USHL at 21. Are you required to bring the beer for the rest of the kids?

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Playing in the USHL after 20 is not entirely uncommon/like probably even more so than the CHL ... but it's a bunch of guys headed to college. He debuted with AIK in HockeyAllsvenskan this year so I would assume he's not eligible, but that said, he was on a junior contract. I never saw him sign a deal with AIK. Maybe he actually is eligible for NCAA. If that's the case ... it's much less strange and maybe not the worst thing. Otherwise ... well who knows.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Would be interesting to find even a single case of a player following this route at this age and getting into the NHL. The USHL has to be a much lower level than Allsvenskan, and I'm not sure where it would stack up against the NCAA. Even if he does make it to NCAA, he'll be a 22 year old rookie. He could blow the NCAA out of the water and it still wouldn't really mean much in terms of precedence, most of the guys who are that age and still in NCAA aren't very likely to turn into anything special, and nearly all of them are going straight to the AHL for even more development. I don't really understand why he would take this incredibly circuitous route to the AHL unless he just plain isn't good enough for Allsvenskan, and eventually, the SHL. He would be 23 by the time he got to the AHL.

My only other thought is maybe he's doing this to acclimate to North American hockey, and if he looks good he'll go straight to the AHL? It's a pretty large jump, skill-wise. I can only surmise he isn't good enough for Allsvenskan and has aged out of the junior level, and he's forced to do this as an alternative to keep the dream alive. Matej Paulovic is the closest comparable I can think of off the top of my head that was in the Stars system. Matej Paulovic Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Scott Wheeler’s thoughts from Team Canada’s summer showcase:

Dallas Stars
C Mavrik Bourque:
I’ve got to be honest, I expected more out of Bourque given his age and talent level. He can be relied upon defensively in ways that some of his peers can’t and consistently makes the right play instead of looking to force something, but I’m not sure that’s what he wants (or needs) to be in this environment to make the team. He’s so smart with the puck but I was just left wanting a little more.
LW/RW Logan Stankoven: Stankoven looked really good in practice. Like borderline the best of the bunch in that setting. It didn’t really matter what kind of drill, either. Flow drill. Battle drill. Small area games. He was impressive in all of them. He was good in the games too, especially among the recent draftees, and scored in the opening scrimmage and the finale (twice) while creating throughout. I was also really impressed by his perimeter speed, which looked a step quicker. He burned a number of defenders out wide.
Wyatt Johnston: Johnston looked a step behind and a little out of his element at times. His skating can kick out a little too much, slowing him down out there. I suspect he’ll probably play for Canada in 2023, but I don’t think he’s there yet.

Reactions: Kcb12345

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I mean, Bourque almost made it last year, of course he was a near-lock this year.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I don't have any real exceptions for either Stankoven or Wyatt to make the team, though hearing Stankoven looked great is awesome to hear. If Mavrik doesn't make the team however, that would be really disappointing.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I wonder where stankoven would have got drafted if he was 6’1”.

Assuming he would then project as a center instead of a winger, my guess is right around where the mini run on centers happened, so top 5ish? I understand why he fell, guys of his height rarely make the NHL and his skating is less than perfect. I still think it's stupid in such a meh draft, but I'm not surprised. I'm gonna guess he's also a tier below guys like Caulfield and Debrincat were at the same age too, so not quite as much of a slam dunk, but he didn't play many games so no real way of knowing what kind of numbers he could have put up in a full season.

At least with Caulfield teams knew better than to wait until the second round. Even then, apparently if you are shorter than 5'10", scoring 72 goals just to get picked mid first seems crazy to me. Even if the picks in front of him turn out well, I think it's going to look stupid sooner rather than later.

Edit: It is just now hitting me that our top 3 picks played a grand total of 20 games this year, at least officially.

trenchard

Jul 3, 2012
Hradec Kralove
Henri Kiviaho will play next season in Czech Republic Extraliga for Mountfield Hradec Kralove, Landon Bow will play for Rytiri Kladno in the same League. Jaromír Jágr Is owner od Rytiri Kladno And Is still playing ať age of 49.

Last edited:

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Assuming he would then project as a center instead of a winger, my guess is right around where the mini run on centers happened, so top 5ish? I understand why he fell, guys of his height rarely make the NHL and his skating is less than perfect. I still think it's stupid in such a meh draft, but I'm not surprised. I'm gonna guess he's also a tier below guys like Caulfield and Debrincat were at the same age too, so not quite as much of a slam dunk, but he didn't play many games so no real way of knowing what kind of numbers he could have put up in a full season.

At least with Caulfield teams knew better than to wait until the second round. Even then, apparently if you are shorter than 5'10", scoring 72 goals just to get picked mid first seems crazy to me. Even if the picks in front of him turn out well, I think it's going to look stupid sooner rather than later.

Edit: It is just now hitting me that our top 3 picks played a grand total of 20 games this year, at least officially.
I think we’re lucky he didn’t play more games or he wouldnt have fallen to us . Just judging by his highlights there’s something special there . Kids got the shot , the hands , the speed , the competitiveness and Kinda has his own identity already .

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I think we’re lucky he didn’t play more games or he wouldnt have fallen to us . Just judging by his highlights there’s something special there . Kids got the shot , the hands , the speed , the competitiveness and Kinda has his own identity already .

He has Brad Marchand upside. I don't think the same can be said for a lot of the players in this year's draft that were selected ahead of him.

Reactions: Bfantz and Satan

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not sure he's much of a prospect anymore since he is now 26 but he's still listed on the Stars' reserve list.

Defenseman Niklas Hansson had his best season to date with Rogle, which went to the SHL finals.

He signed a one-year deal to play in Switzerland in 2021-22 but wondering if that was to keep his options open or is that his peak in terms of potential.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not sure he's much of a prospect anymore since he is now 26 but he's still listed on the Stars' reserve list.

Defenseman Niklas Hansson had his best season to date with Rogle, which went to the SHL finals.

He signed a one-year deal to play in Switzerland in 2021-22 but wondering if that was to keep his options open or is that his peak in terms of potential.

I don't think the Stars have much interest in him anymore . If he wants to try a return to NA i'd think he waits untils he's UFA and then sign with someone else. He was a top4 AHL defenseman when he was with Texas a few years back but not really a contender to make the NHL.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad