Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospect Development Tracker - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
The Peterborough Petes are ridiculous. I've only watched part of the game, but they're just playing as dirty as possible despite the fact Hamilton is owning them on the PP. They're doing a lot of it behind the play and not getting caught.

Grushnikov just took a dirty, hard stick to his berries behind the play. He was in a ton of pain and needed help off the ice.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
God Stankoven is just absurdly good. Absolutely hounds a guy with the puck, takes it away, dances past a broken stick and another defender right to the slot and rips the shot home

1+2 for him tonight. He is just dominant out there

Also, he would be far and away the most agile skater on the team if he joined Dallas right now. His agility is phenomenal. So quick

Reactions: Magic Mittens

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Stankoven just puck-jacked a guy and scored an unassisted goal. Jesus ... it's getting harder to argue he has more to do at the WHL level.

Yep. He does nearly everything at an elite level already. I think i said this the other day but when he gets the puck on his stick I just expect something to happen everytime.

Unless he just has a terrible camp, he should get a shot at the NHL. Don't think he will make it yet because of his size but hopefully he has a good camp and gets some preseason games

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Yep. He does nearly everything at an elite level already. I think i said this the other day but when he gets the puck on his stick I just expect something to happen everytime.

Unless he just has a terrible camp, he should get a shot at the NHL. Don't think he will make it yet because of his size but hopefully he has a good camp and gets some preseason gameswn kid,
Well, he'll be back in Kamloops. There's a very good chance they get the Memorial Cup next year, he's a hometown kid, Gaglardi is also a Kamloops boy. Too many factors to him coming back.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Well, he'll be back in Kamloops. There's a very good chance they get the Memorial Cup next year, he's a hometown kid, Gaglardi is also a Kamloops boy. Too many factors to him coming back.

There are many great reasons he probably doesn't crack the NHL roster full-time next season. This touches on none of them. No one in their right mind is making NHL-level decisions because of the possibility of a Memorial Cup host. That's absurd.

Reactions: LT and Kipper 17

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Just to add to the Stankoven conversation. I'm in no way disrespecting the importance of the Memorial Cup. I may be American and only really started following it in the last 15-plus years, but it's a joy every time a Dallas prospect gets to participate. I watch it every year regardless of Dallas' prospects' participation.

There's no way that Tom Galardi is going to make a decision to weaken his $720 million franchise in Dallas for his junior team or the Memorial Cup. It's unlikely, and potentially highly unlikely, that Stankoven will prove to the current GM and new coach collectively that he's capable of playing consistent Top 9 minutes, with consistent PP time, and consistent Top 9 production after a potential 9 game cup of coffee in the NHL. That's much less a knock on him or lack of confidence in his ability and much more to do with Dallas' other top prospect Wyatt Johnston and a combination of NHL contracts and other prospects.

However, if he's NHL ready, there's zero chance that he's going back to the WHL to prop up Gaglardi's junior team's chance of winning the Memorial Cup. There's no logical or reasonable argument to be made about that. The Memorial Cup is an amazing happy coincidence if and when he's ultimately sent back to the WHL, and both the organization and fans will be thrilled to get to see him in that tournament .... but it's only happening if he's not yet NHL ready.

Reactions: DieselPig

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
There are many great reasons he probably doesn't crack the NHL roster full-time next season. This touches on none of them. No one in their right mind is making NHL-level decisions because of the possibility of a Memorial Cup host. That's absurd.
mind detailing some of those reasons? certain areas of his game, or physical development?

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
mind detailing some of those reasons? certain areas of his game, or physical development?

Honestly ... I think it probably has less to do with him in many ways and has way more to do with Jim Nill. I get that he may not be the GM (just like Bowness technically may actually still be the coach next season despite what I alluded to in one of the posts), but he's the GM right now and under contract season. That's not an endorsement for him being fired or remaining in his current position, it's just a fact.

So basically I'm looking at this question through that lens. Right now, Jim Nill is the GM of the 2022-23 Dallas Stars.

1) Nill is notoriously slow to promote young players. He believes in them being overripe and spending time in the AHL. Outside of Val Nichushkin (and please correct me if I'm wrong), I can't even think of a 20-year-old forward to make the Dallas Stars with Nill as GM. Even Robertson spent his first-year pro in the AHL. The fact that Dallas also has a top prospect like Mavrik Bourque whose contract starts officially next season might give him an edge over a junior-aged player like Stankoven. I find it easier to see Nill keeping a 20-year-old in the NHL over a 19-year-old if all things are equal ... and it's definitely not impossible to think that once Bourque, Johnston, and Stankoven are on the ice together in August for the WJC, September for Traverse and camp ... that none of the three can really separate from one another because they all seem poised to have a chance to make significant impacts in those showings.

2) Wyatt Johnston. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around Jim Nill playing one junior-aged player in the NHL let alone 2. Both Johnston and Stankoven are poised it seems to be significant contributors in Dallas eventually ... probably very soon. I know people really want to rank players ... it's natural, but I'm not even simply stating Johnston is better than Stankoven. That said, as a two-way center that has a much better chance at sticking in the middle for his NHL career than Stankoven, Johnston probably has a leg up. I just don't imagine Stankoven is a guy that will start playing in all situations immediately at the NHL level, but I can see that as something Johnston would be more relied on right away ... thus giving him an edge in sticking at the NHL first over Stankoven.

Stankoven (and Johnston for that matter) are not going to have the luxury of coming along like Jacob Peterson this year in a limited role. If they don't immediately hit the ground running, capture significant roles, and produce ... they're going down ... and they only have 9 games to convince Dallas they're capable of it over an 82-game season at just 19 years old. That's why I think physical development and his current game might have less of an impact on the decision. It often does in Dallas. Jim Nill isn't going to let either guy play a limited NHL role at 19.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Stankoven is getting thrown in a package deal for P-Laine in the offseason.

:popcorn:
You're trolling but hold my beer because I believe the following is legitimately possible if not likely.

Bourque, Johnston, and Stankoven will not all sign 2nd contracts with the Dallas Stars. Because of the cap, and I'm talking after the players have paid off the bazillionaire owners and the cap goes up significantly, Dallas won't be able to afford Jason Robertson, Roope Hintz, Mavrik Bourque, Wyatt Johnston, Logan Stankoven, Miro Heiskanen, and Jake Oettinger in 2025-26.

They'll also need a 2nd elite defender sooner rather than later, and while I have no idea who that player will be, I imagine in the near future there is a similar trade as the one that happened between Columbus and Nashville for Ryan Johansen and Seth Jones.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Stankoven is getting thrown in a package deal for P-Laine in the offseason.

:popcorn:
Why? Why would you throw that out into the universe?
Don't get me wrong i love watching the world burn as much as the next guy, but there has to be some limits

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
You're trolling but hold my beer because I believe this is legitimately possible if not likely.

Bourque, Johnston, and Stankoven will not all sign 2nd contracts with the Dallas Stars. Because of the cap, and I'm talking after the players have paid off the bazillionaire owners and the cap goes up significantly, Dallas won't be able to afford Jason Robertson, Roope Hintz, Mavrik Bourque, Wyatt Johnston, Logan Stankoven, Miro Heiskanen, and Jake Oettinger in 2025-26.

They'll also need a 2nd elite defender sooner rather than later, and while I have no idea who that player will be, I imagine in the near future there is a similar trade as the one that happened between Columbus and Nashville for Ryan Johansen and Seth Jones.
We can and we will....
Sorry wrong team

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
It's incredibly difficult to find stories that are not paywalled in Sweden, but it appears that a story just came out detailing SSK's off-season, and there is a suggestion that Albert Sjoberg may be leaving the team to join the SHL.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Our prospects are showing up when it matters. No more getting excited over 75 point regular season CHL players.. now we can draft 90+ point regular season players who put up big numbers in the playoffs.

These are real NHL prospects.

Reactions: starsfan86

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
You're trolling but hold my beer because I believe the following is legitimately possible if not likely.

I hate to be 'that guy', but chances are one of these guys isn't going to be the homerun we think they will. They wouldn't be the first players to dominate juniors and not have their games translate for any multitude of reasons.

At the very least, I highly doubt they all go to the Jason Robertson school of instant NHL stardom, maybe they don't break out until their second contracts and you get a couple of Roope Hintz type deals? Who knows, but I think they could keep all of them. Dallas doesn't have a lot of obligations in 25-26. There are currently only two contracts for that time period, Seguin and Heiskanen. That's pretty easy to work around. You could add Hintz and Robertson obviously, but I don't see any other long-term locks as of right now.

Now, if we were talking 24-25 commitments, I really want to wash my eyes out with bleach looking at who is left.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Hard to not be impressed with Mathias Onuska. He's played 5 OHL games by the time he gets traded from London to Windsor for scraps. He plays his way into starting all 3 games so far for Windsor in the playoffs ... one of the top teams in the league.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
No points for Johnston tonight. Only noticed him a few times really, his line was shutdown pretty well.

Same for Stranges so far, except he has had his chances and created others. Just hasn't been able to capitalize

Edit: Stranges picked up a late assist

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Roulette had 2 assists tonight. Seattle is just lighting up Kelowna

He's got 4 assists through 3 playoff games so far

Here's the Stars forward prospect numbers in the CHL playoffs so far:

Stankoven - 3GP, 4G, 6A - 10 points in 3 games
Stranges - 4GP, 3G, 5A - 8 points in 4 games
Arcuri - 3GP, 1G, 4A - 5 points in 3 games
Johnston - 3GP, 0G, 4A - 4 points in 3 games
Roulette - 3GP, 0G, 4A - 4 points in 3 games