Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospect Development Tracker - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Respectfully disagree on Arcuri's placement on that list. His ceiling puts him above Roulette and Martino for me.

Reactions: Satan

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Respectfully disagree on Arcuri's placement on that list. His ceiling puts him above Roulette and Martino for me.
I’m curious what makes you put Arcuri‘s ceiling so much higher than Roulette’s and Martino‘s.

I have seen every point scored this year by our forward CHL prospects in highlights (not trying to say these viewings give me a great grasp on any of the players). From those viewings, Roulette seems to be a better playmaker than Arcuri. Arcuri has a good shot and scores a lot of “right place at the right time” goals and looks like an amazing late round pick but I see a better overall offensive game from Roulette.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I will say I was not expecting to see Samuel Sjolund on the list. That one caught me by surprise. I rarely even think about the guy anymore. It's a one-off moment, and Wheeler even says that, but he looked impressive in the clip he shared. I guess it will be interesting and might be worth it to watch what he does at Western Michigan next season. If he has immediate success, maybe he actually is someone worth watching. I think if he struggles at 22 transitioning to the NCAA though, that's got to be the final nail ... which I assumed the USHL at 21 could already potentially have been.

Almost a slap in the face that he'd be above Grushnikov, ouch. I just realized the reason Karlstrom and Mascherin are nowhere to be found is because they're both too old to be on the list, it is strictly a U23 list for skaters, and U25 for goalies. Aggressive but fair, you'd probably capture more than 99% of legit prospects with that list, even if you leave off the occasional super late bloomer.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Rankings from the article.

RankPlayerPos.AgeTeam
1Wyatt JohnstonC18Windsor
2Mavrik BourqueC20Shawinigan
3Thomas HarleyLHD20Dallas/Texas
4Logan StankovenRW/LW18Kamloops
5Jake OettingerG23Dallas/Texas
6Riley DamianiC/RW21Dallas/Texas
7Ty DellandreaC21Dallas/Texas
8Ayrton MartinoLW19Clarkson
9Jacob PetersonC/LW22Texas
10Conner RouletteLW18Seattle
11Francesco ArcuriLW18Kingston
12Yauheni AksiantsiukRW/LW20Idaho/Texas
13Jack BarRHD19Harvard
14Albert SjobergRW18Sodertalje
15Oskar BackC21Texas
16Antonio StrangesLW20London
17Jacob HolmesLHD18Sudbury
18Daniel LjungmanC19Linkoping
19Justin ErtellLW18Cornell
20Samuel SjolundLHD20Dubuque
HMArtyom GrushnikovLHD18Hamilton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Think I mentioned this in another thread the other day, but man if the Stars play their cards right at this trade deadline they could have a really good prospect pool.

If I'm the owner and looking at our current pool with the deadline rentals we could make available, I'm 100% having the GM pull the trigger and sacrificing this season for a potentially great future. Of course that would work better if the GM wasn't on the hot seat

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
This is a hypothetical that seems highly unlikely, but how as a fan do you feel if Gaglardi gives Nill a 1-year extension as a sign of faith to greenlight selling assets?

Nill's contract now ends in 2024 instead of next year, and that probably does mean he gets to hire at least 1 more coach.

I'm for anything that guarantees John Klingberg isn't lost in free agency. Marek was talking about it in terms of Lindholm and Anaheim recently. You can't lose that type of player for no return. It's too detrimental to the organization. You can't just replace that like a Manson or Rakell (again in terms of Anaheim). It applies here to Dallas though as well.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Think I mentioned this in another thread the other day, but man if the Stars play their cards right at this trade deadline they could have a really good prospect pool.

If I'm the owner and looking at our current pool with the deadline rentals we could make available, I'm 100% having the GM pull the trigger and sacrificing this season for a potentially great future. Of course that would work better if the GM wasn't on the hot seat
We don’t talk about those things . Summer comes when summer comes .

Reactions: Johno

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Rankings from the article.

RankPlayerPos.AgeTeam
1Wyatt JohnstonC18Windsor
2Mavrik BourqueC20Shawinigan
3Thomas HarleyLHD20Dallas/Texas
4Logan StankovenRW/LW18Kamloops
5Jake OettingerG23Dallas/Texas
6Riley DamianiC/RW21Dallas/Texas
7Ty DellandreaC21Dallas/Texas
8Ayrton MartinoLW19Clarkson
9Jacob PetersonC/LW22Texas
10Conner RouletteLW18Seattle
11Francesco ArcuriLW18Kingston
12Yauheni AksiantsiukRW/LW20Idaho/Texas
13Jack BarRHD19Harvard
14Albert SjobergRW18Sodertalje
15Oskar BackC21Texas
16Antonio StrangesLW20London
17Jacob HolmesLHD18Sudbury
18Daniel LjungmanC19Linkoping
19Justin ErtellLW18Cornell
20Samuel SjolundLHD20Dubuque
HMArtyom GrushnikovLHD18Hamilton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Lol at dellandrea over peterson .

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Almost a slap in the face that he'd be above Grushnikov, ouch. I just realized the reason Karlstrom and Mascherin are nowhere to be found is because they're both too old to be on the list, it is strictly a U23 list for skaters, and U25 for goalies. Aggressive but fair, you'd probably capture more than 99% of legit prospects with that list, even if you leave off the occasional super late bloomer.

To be fair, Mascherin is nowhere to be found in Sweden either... Just 8 points in 15 games.
Being out scored by TWO Stars legend defenders Nick Ebert and Julius Honka. 22p in 34gp and 18p in 32gp respectively.

Edit: a 40-year-old Joel Lundqvist has managed 16points somehow.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Lol at dellandrea over peterson .

Wheeler's rationale seems to be age. He basically said Peterson is a nice asset, but you also shouldn't expect to see a significant climb in development from who he is. With Dellandrea he sees a guy putting it together with a higher upside. Not saying he's right, but that seems to be the reason for the way they're listed. He mentioned that he favors younger, higher potential players in his rankings over a guy that might be older and peaked.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
This is a hypothetical that seems highly unlikely, but how as a fan do you feel if Gaglardi gives Nill a 1-year extension as a sign of faith to greenlight selling assets?

Nill's contract now ends in 2024 instead of next year, and that probably does mean he gets to hire at least 1 more coach.

I'm for anything that guarantees John Klingberg isn't lost in free agency. Marek was talking about it in terms of Lindholm and Anaheim recently. You can't lose that type of player for no return. It's too detrimental to the organization. You can't just replace that like a Manson or Rakell (again in terms of Anaheim). It applies here to Dallas though as well.

I'd do that. Trading our rentals away at this deadline could do wonders for the future of this team. I mean we have 2 guys who should for sure return a 1st or a good prospect/young player, you just can't afford to lose them for nothing like you said. Even if it means throwing this season away

This obviously won't happen if theyre even close to a wild card spot, but it's why I really would prefer the Stars to be well out of the race come deadline day. The pieces they could get from potentially 3-4 1sts total over this year and next (including their own 1sts) could be massive. If they don't, they very well could end up wasting someone like Roope Hintz's prime as well. Easy to forget he's turning 26 this year, a quick turnaround is crucial and this could do it. Won't have assets to trade away like this again without severely hurting the teams core

Plus, having 3-4 1sts/good prospects could even be used in a trade towards a player who could help us sooner than later.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Wheeler's rationale seems to be age. He basically said Peterson is a nice asset, but you also shouldn't expect to see a significant climb in development from who he is. With Dellandrea he sees a guy putting it together with a higher upside. Not saying he's right, but that seems to be the reason for the way they're listed. He mentioned that he favors younger, higher potential players in his rankings over a guy that might be older and peaked.
Wheelers logic is flawed than . Peterson is only a year older than dellandrea . Has been improving every season and is only 22 .

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Wheelers logic is flawed than . Peterson is only a year older than dellandrea . Has been improving every season and is only 22 .

Definitely wasn't defending it, but based on the write-up, that seems to be his rationale.

Reactions: Bfantz

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean just look at Hintz when he was Petersons age he was just in his first NHL season and didn't look anywhere near as good as he does now.

Reactions: LT and Elysian

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Stankoven not only player of the week, but player of the month as well in the WHL

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I mean just look at Hintz when he was Petersons age he was just in his first NHL season and didn't look anywhere near as good as he does now.

Like I said, seemed a little odd the way he mentioned it. Here's the wording FWIW:

We know that by the time a player turns 23, he is largely done the steep upward progression we see in prospects and will begin to plateau.
Preference for inclusion as an NHL prospect is more likely to be given to teenagers than 22-year-olds.
Wheeler: 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings

These specific quotes about Dellandria and Peterson made me further believe that's why he ranked them the way he did.

But [Dellandrea]’s still a legitimate young player with real NHL upside
And while I’d still expect natural growth at [Peterson's] age as he gets more comfortable in the NHL, I wouldn’t expect a huge developmental progression from here on out.
Wheeler’s 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 10 Dallas Stars

They're virtually, exactly a year apart. Dellandrea born July 21, 2000, and Peterson born July 19, 1999. So I definitely agree it's an odd hard line to draw in the sound, but for some reason, that seems to be very important to Wheeler. It doesn't make a great deal of sense to me that according to Wheeler, Dellandrea's talent is there despite the play on the ice, but a somehow a guy like Peterson who is only a year older is basically done developing and merely adjusting to the NHL.

It's not enough to throw the baby out with the bath water, but it's an odd way to look at those 2 for sure. I still really enjoyed his write-up.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
that’s like saying you’d rather have the flu than covid

Sure, one is definitely worse, but neither would’ve been ideal

Wrong

~6 months ago reporters had Seattle taking Adam Mascherin in the expansion draft. He will be back.

receipts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad