Speculation: 2021-22 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster discussion part IV Playoffs? I Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I expect Danault to put up 15/50, mostly 5 on 5. Plus the Kings should be at least 5 spots better in goals allowed. Playing behind Kopitar will boost both players production because they can spread the load more evenly. Neither have played with a center of that caliber. It'll be agonizing 1-0/2-1/occasional 5-4 wins, but I do expect them to be improved. I could also see Arvidsson have a bounce back year next to the best center he's ever played with and getting 25-30 goals.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I expect Danault to put up 15/50, mostly 5 on 5. Plus the Kings should be at least 5 spots better in goals allowed. Playing behind Kopitar will boost both players production because they can spread the load more evenly. Neither have played with a center of that caliber. It'll be agonizing 1-0/2-1/occasional 5-4 wins, but I do expect them to be improved. I could also see Arvidsson have a bounce back year next to the best center he's ever played with and getting 25-30 goals.
The biggest difference maker will be Vilardi…
If he’s all set with his conditioning and confidence, then he could have a huge year

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I don't expect a big year from Vilardi next season, it'll be the following one that I want results. He still hasn't played a full season AND hasn't even played 82 games in the NHL total. I'd be happy with consistency and 15 goals/30 points. I'm rooting for the guy, there's no one on this team I want to breakout more than him.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I got bored so here's this: How much did we actually improve in the goal scoring department? Not much, IMO.

Last year per 82 games
Iaffalo - Kopitar - Brown
Vilardi - Carter - Kempe
Grundstrom - JAD - Moore
Athanasiou - Lizzote - Wagner

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Roy
Maata - Walker

21 Goals - 21 Goals - 28 Goals
16 Goals - 13 Goals - 23 Goals
10 Goals - 17 Goals - 16 Goals
17 Goals - 6 Goals - 7 Goals

1 Goal - 13 Goals
2 Goals - 4 Goals
0 Goals - 9 Goals

Total: 195 Goals over 82 games, 2.37 Goals per game. We were 26th in scoring last season.

Did we really add much scoring? Assuming everyone hits near or above last season's actual:

Guessing next season's output:

Iaffalo - Kopitar - Arvidsson
Kempe - Danualt - Vilardi
Athanasiou - Byfield - Brown
Andersson - JAD - Moore

(Interchange whoever in the bottom 6, there are no 20 goal scorers.)

Anderson - Doughty
Edler - Roy
Bjornfot - Walker

20 Goals - 20 Goals - 20 Goals
20 Goals - 12 Goals - 15 Goals
15 Goals - 15 Goals - 10 Goals
10 Goals - 15 Goals - 15 Goals

3 Goals - 12 Goals
3 Goals - 4 Goals
3 Goals - 10 Goals

Total: 222 Goals over 82 games, 2.7 Goals per game, which would move us to 20th in scoring (based off last season).

Unless multiple players have a major outbreak season, the goal-scoring is still not there. Last season, our ENTIRE LD squad put up 5 goals, led by MacDermid, WHO IS GONE. It is a glaring hole offensively. How much can we provide when our LD is offensively mute? While I am optimistic about next season, I am worried that we are not a playoff team. Honestly, we wouldn't be in the conversation if we were in any other division. Anyways I am going to get some tacos lol

I dunno about you, but +27 goals in a season, assuming relatively strong goals against, is pretty significant.

Better overall team defense is also an expectation.

Assuming all 27 additional goals went to one-goal games they lost, that's a good bump in the standings.

If you expected a bottom-5 offense to become top-10, then the issue is with unrealistic expectations.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'm expecting a 18-22 ranked offense, which would be a big improvement, and that's pretty pathetic!

440.jpg

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I dunno about you, but +27 goals in a season, assuming relatively strong goals against, is pretty significant.

Better overall team defense is also an expectation.

Assuming all 27 additional goals went to one-goal games they lost, that's a good bump in the standings.

If you expected a bottom-5 offense to become top-10, then the issue is with unrealistic expectations.

I was gonna say it might not look amazing but that would be a huge jump relatively and would represent a step forward that I could feel happy with....provided the defense is still there, that's a HUGE differential in +/- in the standings and would represent a playoff team.

That's also discounting any camp surprises and/or youth growth. I personally expect a 20 goal Vilardi amongst other things (like our LHD not flopping over and doing nothing this year).

Then again--if we play 1-3-1 I expect the dying gasps of the 2012 Terry Murray Kings until shit hits the fan.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I got bored so here's this: How much did we actually improve in the goal scoring department? Not much, IMO.

Last year per 82 games
Iaffalo - Kopitar - Brown
Vilardi - Carter - Kempe
Grundstrom - JAD - Moore
Athanasiou - Lizzote - Wagner

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Roy
Maata - Walker

21 Goals - 21 Goals - 28 Goals
16 Goals - 13 Goals - 23 Goals
10 Goals - 17 Goals - 16 Goals
17 Goals - 6 Goals - 7 Goals

1 Goal - 13 Goals
2 Goals - 4 Goals
0 Goals - 9 Goals

Total: 195 Goals over 82 games, 2.37 Goals per game. We were 26th in scoring last season.

Did we really add much scoring? Assuming everyone hits near or above last season's actual:

Guessing next season's output:

Iaffalo - Kopitar - Arvidsson
Kempe - Danualt - Vilardi
Athanasiou - Byfield - Brown
Andersson - JAD - Moore

(Interchange whoever in the bottom 6, there are no 20 goal scorers.)

Anderson - Doughty
Edler - Roy
Bjornfot - Walker

20 Goals - 20 Goals - 20 Goals
20 Goals - 12 Goals - 15 Goals
15 Goals - 15 Goals - 10 Goals
10 Goals - 15 Goals - 15 Goals

3 Goals - 12 Goals
3 Goals - 4 Goals
3 Goals - 10 Goals

Total: 222 Goals over 82 games, 2.7 Goals per game, which would move us to 20th in scoring (based off last season).

Unless multiple players have a major outbreak season, the goal-scoring is still not there. Last season, our ENTIRE LD squad put up 5 goals, led by MacDermid, WHO IS GONE. It is a glaring hole offensively. How much can we provide when our LD is offensively mute? While I am optimistic about next season, I am worried that we are not a playoff team. Honestly, we wouldn't be in the conversation if we were in any other division. Anyways I am going to get some tacos lol
Looking at your numbers, every returning forward scores less than they did last year assuming the goal listed matches the player in the corresponding lineup spot. Kind of hard to overcome that kind of assumption.

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
Bjornfot is still waivers-exempt. There's a part of me that thinks we should just send all the kids down and start the season with a bunch of guys in the NHL that need to sink or swim.

Kings

Clague - Doughty
Edler - Roy
Wolanin - Walker
Maatta

Reign

Anderson - Spence
Bjornfot - Grans
Moverare - Durzi

I'll play...
Not sure Clague fits on top pairing and Wolanin should be a last resort imo

Anderson - Doughty
Clague - Roy
Edler - Walker
Maatta

The 2nd and 3rd pairing could get roughly equal playing time. Edler more on the PK. Roy could be a better partner for Clague to shelter him defensively in the early going. Like you said though, sink or swim for Clague at this point. I feel like that gives a fair shake and gives us options with Bjornfot freely moving up and down if/when someone goes out with an injury.

Bjornfot - Strand
Moverare - Grans (lovin' the Swedish connection here)
Wolanin - Durzi
Phillips/Spence

Reactions: kilowatt

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I'd be happy with a 15-20 goal jump in scoring as long as it was accompanied with a similar reduction in goals allowed.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I'm curious as to how Doughty and Kopitar see the new acquisitions. I know we're hearing from management that they like it but that's not the same as reading their quotes or watching a video interview.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I'm expecting a 18-22 ranked offense, which would be a big improvement, and that's pretty pathetic!

440.jpg
Pathetic or amazing? Considering the Kings have drafted exactly one winger in the first round over the last 18 drafts. And that one was Tanner Pearson (the last pick of the first round). Goal scoring a problem? I'm shocked...shocked.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I feel like Brendan Lemieux can be another Nolan type, and just like Nolan, it seems like getting him motivated to show up on a nightly basis is going to be a challenge. Might be that he was under more challenging circumstances joining the team in the late stages of the season, but I'm hoping we see more out of him in the upcoming season.

His biggest highlight was beating the shit out of Josh Manson.

Jordan Nolan was fun; he was like a heavy weight pest that threw monster hits.

Crazy to think we use to have a 4th line of Kyle Clifford - Andy Andreoff - Jordan Nolan.

Goon days.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Jordan Nolan was fun; he was like a heavy weight pest that threw monster hits.

Crazy to think we use to have a 4th line of Kyle Clifford - Andy Andreoff - Jordan Nolan.

Goon days.

The hit on Harrold is one of the biggest hits I've ever seen. He also ended Klesla's career with a huge open ice hit in a pre-season game.

Highlight for me was when he rolled through Bryan Allen and Souray about three weeks apart in the 2013 season when the rivalry with the Ducks was a real thing. Sandwiched between those two fights was him taking a huge run at Tarasenko and then ragdolling Redden back when the rivalry with the Blues was a thing. Coming off of 2012 and through 2013, he looked like a real terror. Loved the guy.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
The hit on Harrold is one of the biggest hits I've ever seen. He also ended Klesla's career with a huge open ice hit in a pre-season game.
love that one. 2 big guys just coming to a stone cold stop on impact, you could tell jordan felt it too

Reactions: Ghetty Green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad