Confirmed Signing with Link: 2021-22 Free Agency Thread

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Quick question... I was just wondering if there was a list somewhere that says which previous draft class i think 3 years limit which would give what 2018 draft class which prospects nHL teams lost their rights to?

I believe what you're looking for is on the reserve list on capfriendly team pages.

Reactions: uncleben

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Quick question... I was just wondering if there was a list somewhere that says which previous draft class i think 3 years limit which would give what 2018 draft class which prospects nHL teams lost their rights to?

I believe what you're looking for is on the reserve list on capfriendly team pages.

and btw rights expiration varies by what situation the player was drafted from and where he plays after draft

kids drafted from Canadian Major Junior(OHL,WHL,QMJHL) if not signed in 2 years, team loses rights; and if player was drafted at 18, he is eligible to be (re)drafted at 20

Kids who enter NCAA programs have their exclusive NHL rights retained by drafting team until August after their NCAA commit ends, or sooner of they formally leave school

Euro players' rights' expire per existing transfer agreements; no agreement w Russia so rights persist longer

as @MGK cited, at CapFriendly, at each team's Reserve List page, you can view their best effort at tracking rights expiry

i am not aware of a page/site which tracks same but by Draft Year

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
and btw rights expiration varies by what situation the player was drafted from and where he plays after draft

kids drafted from Canadian Major Junior(OHL,WHL,QMJHL) if not signed in 2 years, team loses rights; and if player was drafted at 18, he is eligible to be (re)drafted at 20

Kids who enter NCAA programs have their exclusive NHL rights retained by drafting team until August after their NCAA commit ends, or sooner of they formally leave school

Euro players' rights' expire per existing transfer agreements; no agreement w Russia so rights persist longer

as @MGK cited, at CapFriendly, at each team's Reserve List page, you can view their best effort at tracking rights expiry

i am not aware of a page/site which tracks same but by Draft Year

k thanks I didnt realize cap friendly tracked it thanks for pointing that out

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

200.gif

Jokes aside, guy's got a cool name. And an NHL contract! Kudos. :laugh:

smsgtkvv

May 30, 2003
South Hill
Visit site
The following restricted (Group II) free agents will become unrestricted (Group III) free agents tomorrow having turned 27 years of age. Because of the late date for free agency last year, two players (Stransky and Pedan) are 28 years old.

The year that they became restricted free agents is in parenthesis.

Alexander Khokhlachev - Boston (2016)
Daniel, Zaar - Columbus (2017)
Matej Stransky - Dallas (2017)
Mikael Wikstrand - Ottawa (2017)
Anton Slepyshev - Edmonton (2018)
Christoph Bertschy - New Jersey (2018)
Lukas Bengtsson - Pittsburgh (2018)
Andrey Pedan - Pittsburgh (2018)
Petteri Lindbohm - St. Louis (2018)
Emil Pettersson - Arizona (2019)
Saku Maenalanen - Carolina (2019)
Spencer Foo - Calgary (2019)
Patrik Rybar - Detroit (2019)
Emil Djuse - Florida (2020)
Charles Hudon - Montreal (2020)
Pontus Aberg - Pittsburgh (2020)

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
What does mean exactly? That Ottawa stashed V Abramov to throw Seattle off the trail! I'm kind of getting sick of the slimy maneuverings of NHL GM's
Abramov is going to Europe, but Ottawa retains his exclusive rights for the next couple of seasons if he wants to come back
Seattle could have drafted him if they wanted

smsgtkvv

May 30, 2003
South Hill
Visit site
Abramov is going to Europe, but Ottawa retains his exclusive rights for the next couple of seasons if he wants to come back
Seattle could have drafted him if they wanted

His contract ended this year and Ottawa tendered a qualifying offer which makes his a restricted (Group II) free agent. He'll remain a restricted free agent until he is 27 years old which will be in 2025 or re-signs with Ottawa before that or his rights are traded, etc. Seattle can trade for his rights, too.

smsgtkvv

May 30, 2003
South Hill
Visit site
His contract ended this year and Ottawa tendered a qualifying offer which makes his a restricted (Group II) free agent. He'll remain a restricted free agent until he is 27 years old which will be in 2025 or re-signs with Ottawa before that or his rights are traded, etc. Seattle can trade for his rights, too.

Trading the rights for a restricted free agent is not that common but Minnesota just traded the rights of Brennan Menell to Toronto. Brennan was a restricted free agent last year and now the Maple Leafs hold his rights until 2024.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad