2021/22 Elsewhere in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

If Fehr is correct that Beach only told this one doctor and that the program is confidential, this may absolve him from blame, but I think this needs to be tested a little more.

As in what did Beach tell the doctor? Did he ask them for help somehow? In which case it should have circumvented any confidentiality. And are we really to believe that all these players and staff knew, but the NHLPA director didn't?

Not even a rumor that should have warranted a quiet investigation of some kind? Or a phone call to the Hawks or Bettman at least?

I'd like to believe Fehr here but he also has an incentive to cover his own ass like Q is doing.

Reactions: Pokecheque

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver

If Fehr is correct that Beach only told this one doctor and that the program is confidential, this may absolve him from blame, but I think this needs to be tested a little more.

As in what did Beach tell the doctor? Did he ask them for help somehow? In which case it should have circumvented any confidentiality. And are we really to believe that all these players and staff knew, but the NHLPA director didn't?

Not even a rumor that should have warranted a quiet investigation of some kind? Or a phone call to the Hawks or Bettman at least?

I'd like to believe Fehr here but he also has an incentive to cover his own ass like Q is doing.

Fehr stinks

Reactions: madman

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Good people don’t cover up sexual assault allegations. This culture stinks.

Yes. But it's getting better. Turning over stones and exposing the vermin underneath is difficult and time consuming. But worthwhile.

The report places the Joe Doe incident and Hawk failure to pursue in the May - Sept 2010 time period. I was actually surprised to learn that the organization had an HR policy in place regarding sexual abuse.

It seems like the watershed recognition moment for the sports world was the arrest of Jerry Sandusky in 2011. He'd been preying on athletes for years before that and everyone looked the other way. Suddenly, it's a matter to take seriously! Who knew? (Being sarcastic and cynical there...)

I suspect that no one in the Chicago organization wanted to go after this. That was stupid, disingenuous and morally corrupt of them. But not surprising either....

My point is that SafeSport either didn't exist before that or it wasn't given much serious consideration. My own hockey organization didn't begin to rigorously implement it until 2013. In fact, it took the US Olympic girls gymnastic and swimmers sexual exploitation situations to really get moving on Safe Sport. That's around 2017 and 2018 even though the abuse had been happening for decades.

None of this excuses their lack of action. I mean Graham James was known at this time. But it just seems that something critically bad has to happen at different levels before people start to do anything about it. Especially in taking preventive measures. I feel so bad for those who have gotten hurt.

The Hawks were wrong. Their punishment deserves more than a fine.

But Columbus did wrong too. And Thomas Jefferson who owned slaves and got a few pregnant would not fit well into today's moral code. We can and should condemn the past and past actions. But mainly to learn from them so they don't happen again.

Oh yeah. They crucified Jesus too..... (But that was part of God's larger plan...)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Seriously he's a legit machine. Him crushing the league again is just so expected we're all just ignoring his accomplishments to start the year. He's flying under the radar.
He's LeBron James of the NHL. For so many years the NBA tried to give the MVP to "someone not named LeBron James" because he should have won it every single year. Everyone knew he was the best player, he showed consistently how much better he was than everyone else, yet the league looked for any excuse to give it to someone else.

Same thing happens with McDavid. Media doesn't appreciate this guy's greatness nearly enough. He could score 170 points this season and the media would still try to drum up a "does Auston Matthews deserve MVP over Connor McDavid?" narrative.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He's LeBron James of the NHL. For so many years the NBA tried to give the MVP to "someone not named LeBron James" because he should have won it every single year. Everyone knew he was the best player, he showed consistently how much better he was than everyone else, yet the league looked for any excuse to give it to someone else.

Same thing happens with McDavid. Media doesn't appreciate this guy's greatness nearly enough. He could score 170 points this season and the media would still try to drum up a "does Auston Matthews deserve MVP over Connor McDavid?" narrative.

I think it's a bit different. James often coasted in the regular season, so I can see why they gave the MVP title to other players. Statistically speaking, other players did often contribute more than James did , like Durant in the 2013-14 season. I don't think anyone truly believed that those players were better than James, but they did have a better season. I don't think it's too different than McDavid, really the only year he clearly should've won it but didn't was in 2017-18 (although if Mack was healthy that season he could've challenged him).

The thing about these trophies aren't saying these players are the best in the league, it's saying they had the best regular season - and in that case Kucherov and Draisaitl deserve their Harts over McDavid.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Sooooo

“we didn’t know”

but also

“a lot of us were just very focused on hockey”

These guys suck man. One of the best hockey teams of our generation was full of spineless sheep

Reactions: The Moops

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

How does Fehr know about that Dr discussion when it was confidential in the first place?

He doesn't know but also knows????

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

How does Fehr know about that Dr discussion when it was confidential in the first place?

He doesn't know but also knows????

It is literally one database search away... What is said is confidential, that the meeting happened is not.

I'm not saying I fully believe him, but it's a very plausible excuse. I know from personal experience, some crazy ass shit can be said to a therapist and never leave that room. That's kind of a pretty big incentive they offer to get you to talk to them.

But sexual abuse from team management/staff should always be reported. I guess Fehr is trying to throw the therapist under the bus for not reporting it.

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
It is literally one database search away...

I'm not saying I fully believe him, but it's a very plausible excuse. I know from personal experience, done crazy ass shit can be said to a therapist and never leave that room. That's kind of a pretty big incentive they offer to get you to talk to them.
So anyone can search the database of who met with doctors? And they did not lose any info after 10 years? Who says there is even a database?

He sure was quick to search the database to figure out what happen. And he implies that he only talked to that NHLPA employee/contractor.

This story is worth more research for sure.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
So anyone can search the database of who met with doctors? And they did not lose any info after 10 years?

He sure was quick to search the database to figure out what happen. And he implies that he only talked to that NHLPA employee/contractor.

This story is worth more research for sure.

I work as a data developer, 10 years of appointment data is pocket change. It's extremely plausible upon hearing Beach claimed he met with the NHLPA, Fehr had any records involving Beach pulled. It would take an hour at most.

Though I'm sure Fehr is doing everything he can to spin this to his own benefit.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I work as a data developer, 10 years of appointment data is pocket change. It's extremely plausible upon hearing Beach claimed he met with the NHLPA, Fehr had any records involving Beach pulled. It would take an hour at most.

Though I'm sure Fehr is doing everything he can to spin this to his own benefit.
I know the data is nothing. Yet orgs lose or do not port old data all the time.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I know the data is nothing. Yet orgs lose or do not port old data all the time.

This is true, companies vary in complacency. But medical-related data, which I believe includes mental health (aka therapy), usually falls under regulations for extremely long retention policies.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I still can´t believe that Quenneville is still coach of the Panthers. Jesus, what are the Jets and Panthers doing? I mean, the Blackhawks are allready a "shithole" on their won. That comment from Toews, good lord :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Are the Jets and Panthers really rely on Bettman to do the "right thing"?......

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I still can´t believe that Quenneville is still coach of the Panthers. Jesus, what are the Jets and Panthers doing? I mean, the Blackhawks are allready a "shithole" on their won. That comment from Toews, good lord :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Are the Jets and Panthers really rely on Bettman to do the "right thing"?......

According to the Panthers board we're going to laugh at this in six months as an 'overreaction'.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
How is this Aldrich guy still not in jail? He freaking ruined lives. I've seen someone in DailyMail gets 12 years for making fake coupons FFS.

Edit : just saw in a website that he was arrested and sentenced 9 months in prison for the attack in Michigan. Just wow.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Goodness, I just finished the Beach interview and it was honestly hard to watch. You can tell he's been carrying this for so long that he's effectively crumbled from it. Words cannot express how brave he is for doing what he's doing and I hope this serves as an inspiration for others that have gone through a similar ordeal.

As for the NHL, NHLPA, the Hawks and any other affiliated org/person's that is directly or indirectly involved, it's too f***ing late. You all f***ed up but at the very least, we can hope that any of the scumbags still employed like Q and Cheveldayoff (not checking his name spelling) get full scorched earth treatment. Get them the f*** out of the league. As for the assailant himself, press charges and get that piece of shit thrown in jail.

Reactions: The Moops
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Jesus... the Panthers board really is in a sad state right now.

Just took a quick read over there...I'll be honest, if something like this situation occurred and it involved someone on the Avs and we had posters defending that person as ardently as some Florida posters are, with as crude and insensitive remarks as they have...I would try to permaban you and reap the repercussions from doing so if necessary. It's absolutely disgusting and reprehensible what some of those posters are saying, and they, much like the Blackhawks are prioritizing winning some f***ing hockey games over common human decency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad