Recalled/Assigned: 2021-22 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm starting to wonder if they guaranteed Sampo some NHL games when he signed his ELC. I can't for the life of me understand how he went from making his debut in the playoffs, starting the following season on the team and it's now at this point. Is that really on the Avs development team or the player?
Doubt it was a guarantee as much as the new player syndrome. When a new player comes into a team and doesn’t know the system… they are told to skate fast, forecheck hard, hit hard and chip the puck deep. All things Ranta excels at. When tape comes along and you’re supposed to learn the system… you gotta show more than that and he hasn’t yet. Kid has talent, but he has to be molded to a 3rd line style player and become an ace pk guy.

Reactions: ABasin

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Doubt it was a guarantee as much as the new player syndrome. When a new player comes into a team and doesn’t know the system… they are told to skate fast, forecheck hard, hit hard and chip the puck deep. All things Ranta excels at. When tape comes along and you’re supposed to learn the system… you gotta show more than that and he hasn’t yet. Kid has talent, but he has to be molded to a 3rd line style player and become an ace pk guy.
Any chance Matt Calvert wants a job as an assistant in the AHL? Dude knows exactly what it takes to be a 3rd line player.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I hope we keep him in the system, he'll figure it out eventually. Either that or he's just another Perlini.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm starting to wonder if they guaranteed Sampo some NHL games when he signed his ELC. I can't for the life of me understand how he went from making his debut in the playoffs, starting the following season on the team and it's now at this point. Is that really on the Avs development team or the player?

I think having actual, legit NHL depth has been a huge factor in all of this. This season, we only had to play Megna, Sherwood, Sikura, Ranta, Kaut and Matteau a combined 53 games, zero of which came after acquiring NAK, Cogs, Lehky and Meyers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
As a RFA, NAK's cap hit was $1,075,000 but his salary was $1,225,000. What will be his QO and do yu think he will get it from the Avs ?
1.225m is his QO... I think it is hard to say if he will. The QO really isn't the issue, arbitration is. Look no further than Jost and his $2m contract as some thing that can and would be argued by NAK's agent. NAK at 1.25m is a no brainer for the Avs. NAK at $2m could start to cause issues.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Did any black aces get called up? I know it'll never happen but it'd be nice if MacDonald was there just in case.
1654214701368.png

Think Megna can play goal?

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Gotta be hurt, I don't think he ever fully recovered from that huge hit he took

I don't think that's true, but anything's possible. He looked fantastic when they put him in the final game of the regular season against Minnesota and put up 5 points in 7 postseason games.

Only reason I'm guessing they haven't called him up is because they still have two more defensemen on the depth chart who haven't been used. Now why they would call effin' Middleton up and not him, no idea.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Nashville really just swooped in and took our AHL team in Sherwood, Gross and Mckeown. Add that we lost top 10 scorer Sikura back to the Hawks. Might be a tough year for the Eagles.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaKarter

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They just added him yesterday. he was banged up, I guess let him go home for some rest.

Was MacDonald still banged up from the AHL playoffs? Looks like he was playing the games up until that game 4 against Stockton where they got eliminated on May 29. Do we know what his injury was?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Interesting that the Avs didn't make many AHL signings apart from Hudon, MacDonald, and Hunt.

Perhaps that's an indication that they intend to give some of the prospects opportunities in the top 6 and PP next year.

Hudon will definitely be in the top 6, and then there's Ranta, Foudy, Beaucage, and possibly Kaut, Maltsev, and Bowers if they're not claimed on waivers.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The Middleton signing rounds out the AHL D group which is now 9 players deep and allows flexibility to bring Hunt and/or MacDonald up.

Curious to see what if any promises were made to Zhuravlyov about NHL opportunities to bring him over.

Hunt - Jacobs
Zhuravlyov - MacDonald
Vande Sompel- Clurman
Middleton
Englund
Aamodt

Edit: Added Vande Sompel. That's a big group which probably suggests that Hunt is closer to #7D in the NHL than an AHL regular.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perratrooper

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Middleton signing rounds out the AHL D group which is now 9 players deep and allows flexibility to bring Hunt and/or MacDonald up.

Curious to see what if any promises were made to Zhuravlyov about NHL opportunities to bring him over.

Hunt - Jacobs
Zhuravlyov - MacDonald
Vande Sompel- Clurman
Middleton
Englund
Aamodt

Edit: Added Vande Sompel. That's a big group which probably suggests that Hunt is closer to #7D in the NHL than an AHL regular.
That's assuming clurman is AHL level and that Vande sompel can't be moved down a level (only AHL contract).

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad