Speculation: 2021-21 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster discussion part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Andersson's out with a groin injury still per Hoven, so Kaliyev looks to be staying put on the third line (and getting second power play looks) for now.
Looks like to start, he will average 14-15 mins a night. That 2nd PP unit was better than the 1st all preseason

Reactions: kilowatt

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Andersson is on IR

Hoven needs to stop with the cryptic ass tweets, like, what are we supposed to take away from that

Hoven also needs to hurry up and release his list of top Kings prospects. At the rate he's going, a bunch of those guys aren't even gunna be prospects anymore.......

Reactions: Piston

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think players have an objective cap value based on their skill set and age.

In free agency, the team that's willing to overpay gets the player.

I don't think it has anything to do with LA. It's just the nature of how free agency works. There are exceptions of course.

This is why I have said multiple times that selling vets while they have value is a bad idea.

You either put kids in over their heads to replace the vets, OR you overpay in free agency to replace them.

Carter was "sold" at the right time. His "value" may have gone down, but there was proper insulation to let a player fill in the role. Danault fits as a good tweener when Byfield/Vilardi take over as the 2nd line center.

Overpaid? Slightly. It's the nature of free agency. But not a terrible contract for what he'll be contributing.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
There are more variables in the Den signing. He will insulate the young players. It allows the kids to be put in a position to succeed. It provides flexibility. Aside from the defense and the offense, he is the kind of guy that has immense value.

Especially in a 7 game series in the playoffs. For example, if Zegras becomes the new 1C after Getzlaf, we almost guarantee a series victory against the Ducks putting Kopitar and Danault on Zegras.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Madden + Grundy for VK?

Done.

I agree. For years I've advocated the Kings acquire a center of Danault's type (while everybody else seemed to be focused on a scoring winger).

I'm fine with the cap hit. It's his age and the number of years that I don't like. I understand that's part of overpayment it took to get him here.

We needed both and could still use the winger, at least until Kaliyev/one of the kids starts scoring.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'm not at all interested in the scoring order of our centers. Show me the ranking of minutes played. Not all minutes are equal and some lend themselves to offensive output more than others. Danault can be 4th in scoring amongst forwards but if he's tops in PK and defensive zone starts, I'm not bagging on him in the least or calling him a bad signing or whatever point someone was trying to make. Someone has to play those minutes, I'd rather Danault since he's damn good at it and that's where he earned his butter in the first place.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I don't know (Danault?) but I saw someone who was driving the play and keeping it in the offensive zone. He's a much better possession player than I anticipated. And he's not totally one-dimensional either. Danault showed some good offensive instincts with his passing. He's not just some dump and chaser who can win faceoffs and locks down opponents top line centers.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Especially in a 7 game series in the playoffs. For example, if Zegras becomes the new 1C after Getzlaf, we almost guarantee a series victory against the Ducks putting Kopitar and Danault on Zegras.

Reminds me of when they couldn't hide Getzlaf far enough away from Kopitar that they had to go out and get Kesler.

Both Kopitar AND Danault > Kesler. It's a nightmare for other teams. You can put Danault OR Kopitar up against McDavid and then...lol behind that.

I don't know (Danault?) but I saw someone who was driving the play and keeping it in the offensive zone. He's a much better possession player than I anticipated. And he's not totally one-dimensional either. Danault showed some good offensive instincts with his passing. He's not just some dump and chaser who can win faceoffs and locks down opponents top line centers.

Yeah and that's exactly why I brought up the playoffs. He blackholed McDavid, Matthews, et. al. harder than even Bergeron or Kopitar ever did to their opponents. He didn't score like they did, but man, he started the VAST majority of his shifts in the dzone and still finished with absurd possession numbers. This isn't just a guy who wins a faceoff and shells up--he retrieves and advances the puck so the Vilardis and Kopitars can start their next shift on attack.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Here's some comparison data that I found useful when putting Danault's contract in perspective.

Jarret Stoll's first LAK contract: 4 years x 3.6M signed in summer 2008
  • Age 26, Year 1: 3.6/56.7 = 6.3% of the cap
  • Age 29, Year 4: 3.6/64.3 = 5.6% of the cap
Michal Handzus's first LAK contract: 4 years x 4M signed in summer 2007 with a NMC
  • Age 30, Year 1: 4/50.3 = 8% of the cap
  • Age 33, Year 4: 4/59.4 = 6.7% of the cap
Philip Danault's first LAK contract: 6 years x 5.5M signed in summer 2021 with a 3 year NMC & 3 year partial-NMC
  • Age 28, Year 1: 5.5/81.5 = 6.8% of the cap
  • Age 33, Year 6: 5.5/? = Less than 6.8% of the cap (Bill Daly estimated the cap would begin to rise again during year 4 of this deal)
I think Danualt is a better player than Stoll or Handzus (though both were excellent 3rd line centers at their peak). Danault is also being brought in to do a similar job as Stoll and Handzus were, which is to be our temporary 2C and eventually our shutdown 3C while helping the kids break in. I agree that we gave up a bit of length to your point, but I don't think it's that bad given that his deal will be around 5% as a percentage of the cap in years 4-6.
Frolov-Handzus-Simmonds is one of my favorite lines of all time. Talk about HEAVY.

FYI, Danault turns 29 this season. He'll be 34 when his contract ends.

Handzus was good in 2 of the 4 years he was here. He really fell off in that last year. His contract was a risk that worked out. Danault's contract is a risk that may or may not work out.

PD is exactly what we needed. The cap hit is fine, the length of the deal will probably end up hurting us.

I don't think you can really compare Stoll's contract because of the age and length difference.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Frolov-Handzus-Simmonds is one of my favorite lines of all time. Talk about HEAVY.

FYI, Danault turns 29 this season. He'll be 34 when his contract ends.

Handzus was good in 2 of the 4 years he was here. He really fell off in that last year. His contract was a risk that worked out. Danault's contract is a risk that may or may not work out.

PD is exactly what we needed. The cap hit is fine, the length of the deal will probably end up hurting us.

I don't think you can really compare Stoll's contract because of the age and length difference.

While it's possible I just don't see why people keep stating that with certainty.

It's already a low % of the cap and likely to end up being 4-5% instead of 6+. And he's not a heavy producer, he shouldn't experience a drastic falloff mentally, and his contract is the current going rate fo ra 3C, never mind an elite 3c. Even if he ends up an average 3rd liner for 5% of the cap, I don't see how that 'hurts' anyone, and I'd argue it's much more likely he remains a strong option.

I'm still seeing a lot of people (not you, just musing aloud) that seem completely unclear about the kind of player Danault is, but I'm guessing he erases some of that worry 10-20 games in. He already hit the ground running.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Yeah and that's exactly why I brought up the playoffs. He blackholed McDavid, Matthews, et. al. harder than even Bergeron or Kopitar ever did to their opponents. He didn't score like they did, but man, he started the VAST majority of his shifts in the dzone and still finished with absurd possession numbers. This isn't just a guy who wins a faceoff and shells up--he retrieves and advances the puck so the Vilardis and Kopitars can start their next shift on attack.

I don't think many here (that are claiming Danault isn't worth his contract) didn't even bother to watch the post season last year. Which is a shame because Danault was one of the individuals that lead them to the finals.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
While it's possible I just don't see why people keep stating that with certainty.

It's already a low % of the cap and likely to end up being 4-5% instead of 6+. And he's not a heavy producer, he shouldn't experience a drastic falloff mentally, and his contract is the current going rate fo ra 3C, never mind an elite 3c. Even if he ends up an average 3rd liner for 5% of the cap, I don't see how that 'hurts' anyone, and I'd argue it's much more likely he remains a strong option.

I'm still seeing a lot of people (not you, just musing aloud) that seem completely unclear about the kind of player Danault is, but I'm guessing he erases some of that worry 10-20 games in. He already hit the ground running.
In 24/25 (which we should expect to be a contending season if all goes well), Doughty and Danault will be turning 35 and 32.

That means we'll have two declining players well into their 30's taking up almost one fifth of teams cap space for the next 3 seasons at a time when we should be contending.

That's a real concern.

When Handzus was signed, we didn't have that kind of contract over-hang. That's the difference between now and then.

I love Danault and love what he brings on and off the ice. It's invaluable, but the contract is a concern.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
In 24/25 (which we should expect to be a contending season if all goes well), Doughty and Danault will be turning 35 and 32.

That means we'll have two declining players well into their 30's taking up almost one fifth of teams cap space for the next 3 seasons at a time when we should be contending.

That's a real concern.

When Handzus was signed, we didn't have that kind of contract over-hang. That's the difference between now and then.

I love Danault and love what he brings on and off the ice. It's invaluable, but the contract is a concern.

Yeah, but that's misleading because it's almost all Doughty. Danault is going to be less than 6%, the cap will certainly go up at least a little in a year or two. Drew is the potential drag, not Danault.

I could also say that in 23/24, Byfield and Danault together will take up less than one-twelfth of the team's cap space. That's incredible value for centers right there.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I’m gonna just leave this here for ya. That’s Danault losing a face off cleanly to a rookie and then beat by that same rookie center to the front of the net for a goal.

I hope he does well, but color me unimpressed so far. We will see how he does during the season. Make me eat crow, Phillip Danault.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I’m gonna just leave this here for ya. That’s Danault losing a face off cleanly to a rookie and then beat by that same rookie center to the front of the net for a goal.

I hope he does well, but color me unimpressed so far. We will see how he does during the season. Make me eat crow, Phillip Danault.

It's pre-season.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, but that's misleading because it's almost all Doughty. Danault is going to be less than 6%, the cap will certainly go up at least a little in a year or two. Drew is the potential drag, not Danault.

I could also say that in 23/24, Byfield and Danault together will take up less than one-twelfth of the team's cap space. That's incredible value for centers right there.
Danualt's contract overlaps into the years when our core players will need new deals, while we simultaneously already have another major contract overlapping as well. That's the concern.

In 23/24 Byfield will be on his ELC.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Danualt's contract overlaps into the years when our core players will need new deals, while we simultaneously already have another major contract overlapping as well. That's the concern.

In 23/24 Byfield will be on his ELC.

This is true, but in 24/25 Kopitar, Arvidsson, Roy, and Walker fall off. There are some potential RFA payouts in Turcotte, Kaliyev, Clarke, and Byfield - but whether or not they are still here remains to be seen. If it was guaranteed they would all pan out, then I would agree about the Danault contract. But right now it's just all guesswork.

I just don't see the concern over a solid player who is going to be making less than 6% of the cap in 4 years.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Well hope you make your sweeping positive judgments on 'one play' highlight reels too. Gonna be a lot of cooking if so.

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

That’s never happened before for a decent 2 way forward, I’m sure you are right. I’m sure Guy Carboneau never lost a face off to a rookie… come on you are really reaching here.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Is it safe?

cookie-monster-awkward.gif

Reactions: kingsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad