Speculation: 2021-21 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster discussion part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
The reality is we could be in the position of other teams, up against the CAP. If Vilardi, Tkachev and Andersson have good years you could be looking a good chunk of change going out. Gone are the days of the bridge deals. It's ELC and big $.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I would be really hesitant to trade Vilardi at this point. He is emerging this year and has the character and leadership traits we really want on this team. I would trade Turcotte before I would trade Vilardi. Any trade that Blake makes should really try to maximize this team's potential going forward and minimize the loss of impact prospects. Lombardi was doing amazingly well with this until the wheels came off. Voynov/Richards were unexpected and then he really started reaching with the Lucic/Sekera type deals and that hurt the team. IMHO, Blake is going to wait and see how much of an impact we have this year and I would expect a blockbuster type deal if we make the playoffs but lack in firepower or defensive prowess. I'm really bummed about Byfield but glad Kaliyev is getting a chance. Tkachev/Vilardi/Kaliyev is an interesting combination. Curious to see if it works out. I think McClellan will be shuffling lines, especially if there are chemistry issues.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don't think we should make any trades right now. Let's keep riding this train and see what we have given our extremely deep prospect pool. If we want to flip a few of the older guys for more futures, I'd be fine with that. Just don't think we are one anything away from a cup.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I don't think we should make any trades right now. Let's keep riding this train and see what we have given our extremely deep prospect pool. If we want to flip a few of the older guys for more futures, I'd be fine with that. Just don't think we are one anything away from a cup.

Riding that train watching the Reign
Rob Blake you better groom those kids
Potential ahead Trouble behind
And you know another cup
Just crossed my mind?!

Last edited:

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
The reality is we could be in the position of other teams, up against the CAP. If Vilardi, Tkachev and Andersson have good years you could be looking a good chunk of change going out. Gone are the days of the bridge deals. It's ELC and big $.
With $22 million in cap space next season, notable free agents are: Kempe, Tkachev, Vilardi, Lias Andersson and Mikey Anderson. A lot has to go right for us to use $22 million on them, but for every dollar we spend on them is a dollar we lose to acquire a big time LHD.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
DoktorJeep said:
Vilardi looks like a man out there in preseason and is poised to live up to his billing. To consider him on pace for a reasonable projection, you want to see 18 minutes a night, 82 games and a 20g, 20a, positive +/- stat line. The biggest blocker is getting that ice time.

Don't worry, Kempe will get his ice time instead...

:thumbd:

Reactions: Lt Dan

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

At least they are still RFA, so that will put at least a bit of a ceiling on it. Selfishly, I want them to have solid years, earn a good contract, and then blow up next year.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
With $22 million in cap space next season, notable free agents are: Kempe, Tkachev, Vilardi, Lias Andersson and Mikey Anderson. A lot has to go right for us to use $22 million on them, but for every dollar we spend on them is a dollar we lose to acquire a big time LHD.

Given guys like Kaliyev, Turcotte, etc, coming up in the pipeline, I'd be surprised if we keep everyone. We can only play the 'he needs to develop' game for so long before we start to need roster spots. A deal to shore up other needs seems likely between now and the draft just because of how many assets we have.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Vilardi's only real concern here is the logjam in front of him up the middle. He is not a 4c, and if you are going to convert him to wing you have to also consider moving him for a better winger.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

that would be a good problem to have IMO as it means they had the type of year deserving of a raise.

Reactions: Gjwrams

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Impressed with Blake's offseason. Added enough to give the vets a shot. Don't know if the vets have enough left in the tank. It's up to them now. Didn't spend any major assets either.

With all the prospects coming & no space for them, got to think Blake is looking at a 2 or 3 for 1 type trade.

Hope Blake calls NYR to see if they need to dump off any more Anderssons.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Vilardi's only real concern here is the logjam in front of him up the middle. He is not a 4c, and if you are going to convert him to wing you have to also consider moving him for a better winger.

No you don’t consider moving him. What’s this log jam in front of him? Kopi is not gonna be a 1c forever and you move Danault to line 3 or 4 if it comes to that.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m fairly happy with the opening night roster (based on fit players), except maybe JAD instead of Lizotte although I can see an argument for giving him big minutes to start the season. As for lines, it really is a so what at this stage as they are going to get changed around plenty as they search for chemistry. I love Brownie but I hope he has a short leash on the top line, if he doesn’t look like scoring after a few games then Arty needs a long look.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Hey, this Haiku thing is kinda fun and maybe should be a thread?
Ok, this is not great, but working atm too.

Arty Party Time
Red Lights Blowing Up For Once
No Stopping Arty

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
No you don’t consider moving him. What’s this log jam in front of him? Kopi is not gonna be a 1c forever and you move Danault to line 3 or 4 if it comes to that.
If Vilardi pushes Danault down to 4C you can always trade Danault, with retention if need be.

Apart from anything else Vilardi’s trade value is always going to be slightly affected by his back history if it still needs special management. So if he becomes a legit 1 or 2 C it seems like a diminishing return to move him.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If Vilardi works on the wing, there really is no reason to trade him. Any winger who matches his production is going to cost a lot more than Gabe will.

How many centers did the Kings have when they won cups? Just off the top of my head they had Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Stoll, Lewis, Fraser, and Richarson in most nights. Most guys can move from center to wing without issue, so it's advantageous to have lots of them.

Reactions: YP44

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
There once was a kid named, Arty
He'd score goals and fans would party
Don't feed him bean burritos
Cause that makes him farty.

I was off to good start but lost interest.

Reactions: ZJames

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
that would be a good problem to have IMO as it means they had the type of year deserving of a raise.

For sure. That means we are getting better. It's just that cap space disappears quickly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad